• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 3,710 Views, 998 Comments

Consequences - shallow15



Things come to a head as recent events bring Sunset Shimmer and her friends in conflict with a government agent and something angry lurking in the woods outside Canterlot City

  • ...
11
 998
 3,710

PreviousChapters Next
Complications, Reunions, and Precautions

Luna put her beer down and stared at the message that had suddenly popped up on her computer monitor, interrupting her Uberguard game. She finished as quickly as she could, made some hurried goodbyes to her team, and logged out of the game. She looked back at the message that had popped up.

From: Cacophonee

208.99.47591.8.20596.11

Ph03b3

Luna quickly activated several innocuous sounding programs, then opened another browser hidden within several layers of folders. She entered the number URL and the prompt for another chat client came up. She logged in with the User ID “Ph03b3” and a new chat window opened. There were no other users in the room. However, a few seconds later, there was a chime as a new message appeared.

Cacophonee: There's a problem.

Luna frowned. She leaned forward and quickly typed out a response.

Ph03b3: What kind of problem?

Cacophonee: I found a bot in the chat we had last week. It was well hidden, but it was logging everything in the main chat and all the private chats.

”Shit,” Luna cursed. She had worried about that. Various government agencies had been snooping around that chat server for a while. One of the users in the general chat that night had turned out to be a plant.

Ph03b3: What did they get?

Cacophonee: Not much, but enough to send up some warning to STORM. Have you seen that agent yet?

Ph03b3: She visited the school this morning. She left unhappy.

Cacophonee: Be ready. By now they've probably run every handle in the chat. “NightmareMoon” is sure to raise some alarms.

Luna let out a breath of frustration through her nose. She knew using her old handle while reaching out to her old contacts for information on STORM was a mistake, but it was the only way she could get Cacophonee's attention. Speaking of...

Ph03b3: Is it safe for you to use that handle?

Cacophonee: I'll be burning it after I talk to you. Do you still have copies of the info I gave you?

Ph03b3: Yes.

Cacophonee: Burn it. Burn any copies you have. If they figure out what I got for you, it's going to cause major problems for you if it all goes south. Some of that stuff is classified and just having it is a felony.

Luna leaned forward. She had expected the information Cacophonee had gotten would be sensitive, but this was unacceptable.

Ph03b3: Classified? What the hell, Cac?

Cacophonee: You were the one who wanted answers. I got you the answers.

Ph03b3: I didn't ask you to commit full on espionage!

Cacophonee: What were you expecting? STORM's an agency the government doesn't even acknowledge the existence of unless they absolutely have to.

Luna let out a groan of frustration. Serves me right for going back to him for this. He always goes too far.

Ph03b3: Why is it that every favor I ask of you ends up biting me in the ass?

Cacophonee: Because you have no sense of pattern recognition.

Luna sighed. He won... again. Like he always did.

Ph03b3: I'll burn everything. Anything else?

Cacophonee: Wipe everything on the computer you're using. Don't come back to the room.

Ph03b3: Okay.

Cacophonee: And until this all blows over, don't try to find me. If anything comes up, I'll find you.

Luna blinked. This was new.

Ph03b3: Did I do something wrong?

Cacophonee: No. This was my fault. I was sloppy.

Ph03b3: Are you sure? Because I didn't want this to be a problem for you.

Cacophonee: It isn't. I just need to go dark and it was about time to retire this handle anyway.

Ph03b3: Okay, if you're sure.

Cacophonee: I'm sure. Now log off. And do what I told you.

Ph03b3: I will.

Cacophonee: Later.

Ph03b3: Be careful.

Cacophonee: Always am.

There was a chime and suddenly the whole chat vanished and the browser displayed a popular search engine. Luna sighed and opened another folder, clicking an icon labeled “Scorched Earth.” Her computer screen immediately went dark and the system began rebooting. When it finished the process, every trace of the more questionable programs and files would be gone, while keeping her innocuous stuff intact.

Luna got up from her chair and left her office. “Celestia? We have a problem.”

Author's Note:

Sorry this one's so short, but the muse was fighting me.

PreviousChapters Next