• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 3,710 Views, 998 Comments

Consequences - shallow15



Things come to a head as recent events bring Sunset Shimmer and her friends in conflict with a government agent and something angry lurking in the woods outside Canterlot City

  • ...
11
 998
 3,710

PreviousChapters Next
Hospitals, Accusations, and Revelations

“What about the guard?” Sunset asked Capper as they stepped out of the elevator onto the floor Celaeno's room was on. “If she's under arrest, they're going to have a cop on the door.”

“Don't worry about it,” Capper said. Sunset followed the crime boss as he strode boldly up to the police officer standing outside the hospital room door. The cop looked up as they approached, glanced around, then nodded and stepped aside, allowing the two of them access to the room. Capper pulled an envelope out of his coat pocket and surreptitiously passed it to the cop as they went by. Sunset avoided looking at the officer as they entered.

“Officer Code has six kids, with twins in college,” Capper said quietly once they were in the room. “He does little favors for me, I help a little with his financial burdens.”

“The last true philanthropist, that's you,” Sunset said sardonically. That got a brief smile out of Capper, which vanished when the door to the room closed.

Sunset swallowed as she looked at the hospital bed. It reminded her too much of the time she'd recently spent in a similar situation. It didn't help that Celaeno was awake and glaring at her. Her right arm was in a cast that went up and covered her shoulder. It was being held in traction, forcing her to remain more or less upright. A large gauze pad was taped to her cheek and she had a black eye.

“This is your fault,” she snapped at Sunset. “I wanted you to hear it from me. All of this is your goddamn fault.”

“Yes, it is,” Sunset agreed. She stepped closed, but still kept herself out of arms reach. “How are you feeling?”

Celaeno snorted. “Oh, I'm peachy fucking keen. I got a cracked collarbone, three bruised ribs, a huge migraine and... oh, yeah.”

Celaeno grabbed the covers and yanked them aside, screeching “I'M MISSING A FUCKING LEG!”

The door opened and Officer Code looked inside. Capper waved him off. Code shrugged and closed the door.

Sunset sucked in a breath. Celaeno's right leg had been amputated at the knee. The stubby end of the leg was wrapped in gauze. Sunset looked up and opened her mouth.

“Spare me!” Celaeno said, cutting her off before she could speak. “I don't want your bullshit sympathy, Shimmer! I just wanted you to see what you've done! Too bad for you that fucking thing couldn't finish the job, huh?”

“What? No!” Sunset protested. “Celaeno, I never intended for you to get hurt!”

“Sure, you didn't. You knew Cap would send me out to look for that monster of yours and it would be more than we could handle! Probably hoped it'd kill me in the process. Well, tough shit, sister. I'm still here!”

Sunset felt her anger rising, but she closed her mouth and forced herself to not take the bait. “I know you won't believe me, but I truly didn't think this would happen. I just needed some information about what that thing is. I've only got sketchy descriptions from my friends.”

“You sent your friends after that thing?!” Celaeno's eyes widened. “Holy shit, you are a cold blooded bitch, aren't you?”

“NO!” Sunset shouted, the anger finally exploding. “Nobody was supposed to get hurt! I expected Capper to use his contacts with the police to get into the files, not send somebody to go monster hunting!”

She whirled on Capper. “What the hell were you thinking?!”

Capper returned the glare. “You said you wanted to know what it was and where it was. You didn't say anything about it being dangerous.”

“I thought I didn't have to! I would think the reports on the news would have made it pretty damn clear!”

“Then that's on you, ain't it, Sunnybun?” Capper's eyes flashed and he folded his arms.

Sunset felt her fists and jaw clench and she turned back to Celaeno. Her face fell and she forced herself to relax. “I'm so sorry, Celaeno. Truly, I am. This wasn't supposed to happen.”

Celaeno stared at Sunset's mournful expression for a long while. She frowned and spoke. “You really think you can stop this damn thing?”

“If I can figure out what the hell it is, maybe,” Sunset answered. Another long moment passed. Sunset tried not to squirm as Capper's lieutenant looked her over, her brown eyes piercing and alert. Finally Celaeno leaned back in her bed.

“It's huge. Like maybe fifteen or twenty feet high. It looked weird. Like it was a hole cut out in space in the shape of a bear.”

“A bear?” Sunset repeated. She felt her stomach sink as she remembered some of her thaumazoology lessons back in Equestria.

Celaeno closed her eyes, trying to remember. “It looked like a bear, but like I said, much, much bigger. The weird thing was, it looked like there were stars in its fur.”

“Oh no,” Sunset whispered to herself. “It can't be. Not here.”

“What else, Celaeno?” Capper prompted.

“Fangs,” Caelano continued, opening her eyes. “Big damn fangs the size of trees. Kinda like a saber-toothed tiger.”

Sunset's eyes widened and she swallowed hard. “Celaeno... this is important. What color was it? Blue... or purple?”

Celaeno didn't even pause for thought. “Purple. A weird deep glowing purple.”

Sunset sucked in her breath sharply. “Thank you. And again, I'm so sorry.”

Sunset turned and dashed out of the room, leaving Capper and Celaeno staring after her, stunned.

“What the hell?” Celaeno asked. Capper frowned.

“Not sure. I'll find out, though. Be right back.”

Capper left the room and managed to get into the elevator before the doors closed. Neither of them said anything, but Capper noticed Sunset breathing heavily. Her eyes were staring at nothing, but her expression told him her brain was working overtime.

“Sunset?” he asked. “What's going on?”

Sunset looked at him and her eyes were haunted. “Tell Celaeno I'll pay her medical bills again.”

“You don't have that kind of money,” Capper said.

“I'll find it somewhere,” Sunset replied. “She's right. This was my fault. I shouldn't have involved either of you in this.”

Capper's expression changed from perplexment to concern. “What the hell is going on, Sunset? What's got you so damn spooked.”

The elevator dinged and the doors opened. Sunset stepped out. As she did so, she slapped the button for the top floor and the “Door Close” button. Capper bolted but the closing doors were too fast for him.

“I'm sorry, Capper,” Sunset called as they shut. “But this is my problem.”

Sunset watched for a moment, then turned when the indicator display next to the elevator showed it ascending. She turned away. Her mouth was dry and she fought the urge to wet herself. She spotted a bus at the stop outside the hospital and she ran to catch it. She barely made it and put her hands on her knees, catching her breath before paying the fare.

She ignored the strange looks she got from the other passengers as she made her way to a seat at the back of the bus. She pulled her journal and a pen out of her bag and began writing.

Starlight? Are you there? It's an emergency!

After a couple of minutes, Starlight's reply appeared on the page.

I'm here! What's going on?

Sunset took a deep breath and put her pen to the page.

The thing in the woods... I think it's an Ursa Major.

Author's Note:

Get ready. Things are going to start moving fast.

PreviousChapters Next