• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 3,710 Views, 998 Comments

Consequences - shallow15



Things come to a head as recent events bring Sunset Shimmer and her friends in conflict with a government agent and something angry lurking in the woods outside Canterlot City

  • ...
11
 998
 3,710

PreviousChapters Next
Preparations, Notes, and Goodbyes

Sunset Shimmer methodically went through her apartment. Everything had been cleaned, everything was put away where it belonged. There were no other Equestrian items in it other than her journal, and she was planning on taking it with her. Her entertainment system had been turned off and all the electronics unplugged. She had cleaned out her mini fridge and microwave. Her personal files on Equestria had been saved to a USB stick (which would also be going with her) and deleted from her computer.

She put the journal and the USB stick in her shoulder bag and laid it on the couch before sitting down at her computer. She typed up a pair of notes and reread them, checking for errors.

Dear Miss Bookbinder,

If you're reading this, then something terrible has happened to me and I haven't been able to come back to destroy this note. If this has happened, then in all likelihood, I'm either dead or I've disappeared.

My friends and I are heading out tonight to deal with the thing that has been rampaging all over the city over the last few days. We think we know how to stop it. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by pretending that you don't know about the magic we carry. You know everything that goes on in this building, especially when it comes to me.

If I'm dead, then hopefully, someone has or will bring you my personal effects. In my shoulder bag, you will find a journal. Please take this journal to Principal Celestia at Canterlot High School and tell her to message Twilight Sparkle. I know, why should she do that if I hang around Twilight all the time? It's very complicated and confusing and it'll just be easier if you don't question it. Principal Celestia will understand what I mean.

If I've disappeared, then something worse may have happened. My friends and I are the targets of an investigation by a government agent named Tempest Shadow. She works for an agency called STORM (Specialized Taskforce Overseeing Remarkable Matters). She has been investigating all the strange things that have happened in the city over the last couple of years. Things which my friends and I have been involved in.

If I've disappeared, odds are my friends have too. If that's the case, and I don't return within two weeks of the date at the bottom of this note, deliver the note you'll find next to this one to Principal Celestia.

If you see Tempest Shadow or any of her cronies sniffing around my apartment, or if they demand access to it, let them in. There's nothing here which can hurt me, aside from these notes and I'm reasonably certain you'll get to them before they will.

Thank you, Miss Bookbinder. For everything you've done for me. You gave me a home, when almost anyone else would have looked the other way, or, given how I acted back then, chased me off. You've protected and helped me in ways you don't even know about. You were there when I needed a friend, even if I thought I didn't need anybody and I wanted you to know how much I've cherished our relationship.

Thank you for doing this last favor for me.

Sincerely yours,

Sunset Shimmer

October 10

Satisfied with her work, Sunset turned her attention to the other note.

Dear Principal Celestia,

If you're reading this then Miss Bookbinder has followed my instructions in the event that I and my friends have disappeared. In accordance with my instructions, this also means that we've been missing for two weeks.

In all likelihood, we've been arrested by STORM and are currently being detained against our wills. I have no idea what other measures they may have taken to ensure our arrests remain a secret, but if you know anything about me, you know that, reformed or not, I am not going to take any sort of assault against my friends lying down. I don't care what happens to me. I still have a lot to make up for, but I will not let my mistakes become the start of an interdimensional war.

First off, protect the portal. That is the main priority. Right now, it's been closed on the other side due to events that have happened in Equestria. But I fully expect once that's resolved, Princess Twilight will be making an appearance. If that happens, you need to intercept her, let her know what's happened, and get her to return to Equestria immediately and have her shut down the portal. For good, if necessary.

She'll try to fight you on this. She cares as much for me and my friends over here as she does for her friends over there. But, since you are essentially this world's equivalent of her mentor (I don't have time to explain the coincidence, just roll with it please), she will most likely listen to you.

Once that's done, I would like to ask you and Vice-Principal Luna to make everything you've learned about STORM and how they operate public. I'm sure Vice Principal Luna's contacts on the dark web will be able to help get the word out while giving both of you plausible deniability. Contact the media, politicians, anyone you can think of to make the world know exactly who they are and what they're doing.

I realize this is risky, but even if there are good reasons for STORM's secrecy, this kind of thing can't continue. No one agency should have as much autonomy as they have where seven teenage girls can just vanish without a trace. I'd like to tell you that I have some lofty ideals about freedom and liberty and all that, but that would be a lie.

I'm asking you to do this because I want to hurt them. Badly. They did the one thing I can't forgive: they hurt my friends. The people I care about more than anyone else in two worlds. I've come a long way from who I was, but deep down, there's always a part of me that is just fine with revenge.

And I think, given our conversations while all this had been going on, you would agree with me on this course of action.

Finally, I want to tell you how sorry I am that all this has happened. I never expected things would get this out of control. I'm sorry for how I was when I first came to Canterlot High, and I'm sorry for all the trouble I seem to have brought there after the Fall Formal. You have dealt with all the craziness with far more grace and fairness than the situation may have called for.

I thank you for that. And for not giving up on me, even when I was at my worst. I know I covered my tracks well, but I also know you knew I was responsible for ripping the student body apart, even if you couldn't do anything about it. Thank you for making me still feel welcome at CHS after the Fall Formal, and allowing me to continue my studies there. I've learned so much on this side of the portal thanks to your kindness and understanding and I'll never be able to repay you for everything you've done.

Thank you. For everything.

Your faithful student,

Sunset Shimmer

Sunset leaned back in her chair and sighed. She reached up to rub her eyes and was surprised to find they were wet. She grabbed a tissue from the box next to her monitors and wiped them. She sniffled, then printed out both notes, put them in envelopes, sealed and addressed them to the proper recipients, and left them tucked under the keyboard.

As she pushed back from her desk, there was a knock at the door, followed by the sound of Rainbow Dash and Applejack bickering. Sunset smirked and looked at the door, feeling the love she had for her friends.

Whatever happens, we face it together.

She got up to answer the door.

PreviousChapters Next