• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Measure By Your Gains

After a few bends in the tunneled path back to the Herald, Wildcard realized something was wrong. He was only hearing his own footsteps.

The Desperado scuffled to a stop. He looked towards his side.

Rainbow Dash was gone.

"... ... ...!" He turned completely around.

There—several paces behind him—the petite pegasus lingered. Her head was downcast, and her wings were drooped at her side. Wildcard watched in silence as she slowly shuffled into a crook of rock, turned around three lazy times... and sat on folded hooves. There was a heaviness to her movement, and the weight inevitably tugged her down into a slumped position. She leaned forward until her chin lay across exhausted, criss-crossed forelimbs.

Wildcard said nothing. Slowly, quietly, he walked over to where she lay. He winced briefly from his still-fresh wounds, but soldiered through the pain. With nimble grace, the griffin squatted across from her. He gazed in her direction, patient, contemplative, protective.

Rainbow stared past him. Even as her ghostly friends closed in and nestled wordlessly around, she gazed into the dark contours of the cave... and exhaled.

All was quiet. A haunting hush as the melancholic friends rested peacefully in the stone navel of a forsaken world.

Minutes passed.

Ironically, it was Wildcard who chose to "break the silence." He reached up and gestured inquisitively with a flesh and metal talon. The phrase was simple enough for even Rainbow Dash to understand.

"Mmmmm... who knows?" she replied, muttering. "Am I ever 'okay?'"

Wildcard's beak tightened.

Twilight Sparkle gulped, then meekly stated: "You did all you could for her, Rainbow."

"Did I?" Rainbow rasped. She gazed up at the claustrophobic ceiling, looming like a grave. "Without meaning to, I helped destroy her life... her faith... her every reason for existing."

"Verlax wanted that grumpy varmint dead," Applejack grunted. "You pulled her out of that nasty fate and did yer best to show her the light."

"Yeah, and what fate does she have now?" Rainbow frowned. "It's a pretty lame light that you can just ignore and walk away from." She shook her head. "I should have shown her more."

"But, how, Dashie?" Pinkie Pie blinked. "When—even?"

"I dunno..." Rainbow sighed, resting her chin on her forelimbs again. Her nostrils flared, blowing limp air against the cold rock. "...it... it's just..." A gulp. "I know it sounds lame, but I would almost prefer it if she was dead."

Fluttershy gently chided. "Rainbow Dash..."

"Because then it would have been an ending," Rainbow Dash said. "I wouldn't be left wondering how badly I screwed things up. How much she's missing out on. How much..." She clenched her eyes shut, shook... then sighed. Her ears drooped back as she murmured, "Guess I'm spoiled. So often, I've had the luxury of either saving the day or saying good-bye. Even when I screw things up—like in the Quade—it's something I'm conscious of. A definitive ending. A sucky one, for sure, but still something concrete. I'm just... I'm just not used to having to abandon ponies outright."

"You gave her plenty of opportunities to change, darling."

"There'll always be opportunities, Rarity," Rainbow muttered. "That's what makes it all suck so bad." She swallowed a bitter lump and looked down the dark tunnel. "I had every opportunity to spare Discord when he was turned to stone... but look at the path I took. Verlax made it look like there was no choice in all the things that she made me do, but that didn't stop me from marching into her throneroom all the same. And..." She winced particularly hard at this point. "...and Imre..." The edges of her eyes moistened.

Twilight and the rest looked on in silence.

Sniffling, Rainbow Dash rubbed her cheek dry. "Grfff... what's the use in pretending?" A defeated sigh. "Moving in a straight line isn't as easy as it sounds. I just... I just gotta tell myself that it will all be for the best some day." She sniffled again. "That at some point... that line becomes a circle... and I-I'd best close it before I br-break it." A sigh, and she looked at Wildcard.

Wildcard looked back.

Rainbow fought tears. Nevertheless—with iron-wrought courage—she looked at him directly as she said, "I had hoped I wouldn't rob you of two friends in one lifetime, Wildcard..."

He raised his talons to "speak"... but then he lingered.

Rainbow gazed at her pitiable reflection in his goggles.

At last, his claws moved, clicking slightly as they spelled out: "Call me 'Jordan.'"

Rainbow Dash blinked.

The Desperado smirked gently, adding with a few finger-swipes in the air: "I only count days by friends gained."

Twilight Sparkle smiled.

Rainbow was holding her breath in. When she finally let it loose, her eyes released as well. Tears trickled down a dumb smile. "Okay..." She whimpered, rubbing her cheeks dry—a futile effort. "Uhm... I... I-I know it's gonna sound stupid, Jordan, but could I ask—?"

He was already crossing the distance between them. Rainbow realized just how much larger the Desperado was, for his hug was engulfing. She rested in his arms like a foal, and she found that the griffin's neck feathers were soft, warm, and perfect for muffling her sobs. She dwindled there, limp and quiet and thankful, and Wildcard weathered the minutes as they drifted by.

"Mmmmmff..." She squeaked, forelimbs kneading his bandaged shoulders. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Somehow... some way... I'll m-make this up to you. I'll make this up to all of you. I'll get us b-back home. I promise..."

He merely squeezed her shoulder, neither accepting nor rejecting.

The silence humbled her, and—perhaps for a brief second—she understood the power of his oath.

When Fluttershy spoke, it was an earth-shattering thing.

"Uhm... Rainbow Dash? I... I'm so very sorry to disturb you in this moment, but..."

"Mmmmf... it's okay..." Rainbow Dash leaned her head back. The last hiccup or two of her sobs had finally subsided. "It's okay, Fluttershy. What's... what's going on...?"

"It's... it's about Seraphimus."

"Yeah...?" Rainbow rubbed her eyes and blinked at the ghostly pegasus. "What about her?"

"She... uhm..." Fluttershy fidgeted nervously. "...she's no longer moving."

PreviousChapters Next