• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Easy... Easy Does It

"So..." Rainbow Dash caught her breath. She and Ariel were flying Curveside up the slow incline of the receding canyon. Below her, the rest of the Herald glided along gently atop the hovering wagon. "...what did we learn today?"

"Don't be a dumbass," Logan grumbled.

"No, Big Show..." Flynn smirked, telekinetically empowering the vehicle. "She asked what did we learn."

"Hah!"

"Heheheh..."

"Ha ha ha ha..."

"Rrrrgh!" Ariel spun about. Hovering backwards, she frowned at her comrades below. "Will you cut her some slack?! We lived through it, didn't we? Besides, it was her quick thinking that got us out of a perilous situation!'

"Ourr sisterr is rright," Kepler said. He adjusted his glasses and spoke further: "Wherre would we be without ourr leaderr's courrageous initiative?"

"Under the warm protection of the Right Talon of Verlaxion," Seraphimus droned. "Without the threat of windigoes."

"I do not rrecall asking forr yourr input."

"You're welcome, by the way," Seraphimus muttered.

"Double-yoo—" Logan began.

Seraphimus frowned. "You throw far too much caution to the wind!" she said sternly. "You only go forward, paying no attention to your peripheral. You're just asking to be flanked by some horrible circumstance. If not today, then tomorrow."

"That's some tough talk coming from a stool pigeon," Flynn said. "Emphasis on stool."

"If it weren't for my advice, we'd be dashed to bits several meters behind us right now!" Seraphimus snarled.

"And what are you expecting? A parade?" Ariel tilted her nose up. "I thought you didn't give a crap about yourself! Must have sucked helping us to help you live a bit longer!"

Seraphimus let loose a prolonged sigh. "My only hope is that you'll finally wake up to see the danger in following this chaotic cretin into the darkness ahead."

"Sister... you don't know chaos," Ariel said. She suddenly winced, then smiled innocently in Rainbow's direction. "N-no that you do—of course! Erm... I-I mean of c-course you do, but it's not necessarily a horribad thing! In fact! It's kinda useful in a pinch—"

"Ariel?"

"Yes, Rainbow?"

"At ease, girl."

Ariel hung her head, flying limply forward. "Yes, Rainbow."

"Idiotic echo chambers notwithstanding, I only wish to provide a sense of lucid reason in this banal scenario," Seraphimus said.

"Yeah, cuz it was sooooooooo reasonable how you flew in and tried to wreck our shit back in the Gondola," Flynn grumbled.

Seraphimus glared in the unicorn's direction. "And if I had succeeded, you wouldn't have lived to deal with the sting of shame that's swiftly catching up to you."

Wildcard raised his metal hoof towards her head... exhaled... then dropped the prosthetic in question. After a dreary sigh, the Desperado resumed flapping his wings with occasional bursts of energy, assisting Flynn in the uphill glide.

Rainbow Dash glanced forlornly back at the group. She looked ahead, gaining more altitude while Ariel kept parallel at a distance.

"Well... loon on the bright side!" Pinkie Pie grinned nervously. "We're gonna be out of the deep, dark canyon soon!"

"Right you are, Pinkie." Applejack tilted her hat back and muttered: "Now onto the deep, dark valley beyond."

Fluttershy fidgeted in midair. "You would think they would be more jubilant about having lived through a frightening situation."

"I suppose that's just the thing, Fluttershy," Twilight Sparkle said. "The more crazy situations you live through, the less sting they tend to have in the long run."

"Or perhaps they're just too embarrassed to say we need better navigation!" Rarity looked guiltily in Rainbow's direction. "Rainbow, I'm so terribly sorry, darling. I should have noticed that the unexpected acceleration pushed us off course. I almost led you and your dearest companions into a dreadful demise!"

"Don't blame yourself, Rarity," Rainbow spoke softly. "We've been out of action for a while. Even then—I can't expect all of you guys to be nearly as fast-twitch on the dial as me."

"Hey!" Pinkie Pie suddenly chirped, flying towards their anchor. "Girls! Check this out! It's a boy! It's a girl! No—" She phased through Rainbow's body so that her fluffy head "emerged" between Rainbow's dangling legs. "—it's a baby Pinkie Pie! Hee-hee-hee-hee!"

Rainbow sighed. "I rest my case."

Fluttershy giggled lightly.

"I wouldn't be too worried about the group," Twilight said. "They're only moody because... because... well... look around us."

Fluttershy gulped. "I'm trying not to."

"You know, this might sound strange, but we have it lucky," Twilight said. "None of us are quite as vulnerable as Rainbow's other friends. So long as she stays safe—and we all know how versatile Rainbow is—we're virtually untouched!" She winced slightly. "It can't be easy being flesh and blood in a place like this."

"Yeah, well..." Rainbow squinted ahead. The horizon foretold the changing landscape with the hint of starlight glinting across a sea of wild wilderness beyond the final parallel. "...it's about to get a whole lot less easy."

PreviousChapters Next