• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,642 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,642

PreviousChapters Next
Glimpses in the Dark

Rainbow Dash glided over a large, rectangular building that stretched noticeably lower than the other spires around it. She looked down in mid-flight... and she noticed that there was a translucent structure situated atop the flat rooftop.

Flying closer, Rainbow Dash realized that the structure was covered with countless panels of glass. Several of them had been broken over the decay and neglect of time, but many of the segments still reflected the twilight above with a shiny blue sheen.

She lowered herself until she was hovering just above the Curveside wall of the building. Peering in through the patchwork of shattered panels, she saw a gnotted and twisted array of wooden branches, vines, and trunks—all dead and sporadically plastered with luminescent fungae.

It was a greenhouse. Or at least—it once was. Whoever built this city had an ingrained concept of conservation...

...and it also meant that the Dark Side wasn't always dark.

Holding her breath, Rainbow Dash turned tail and flew on.


Ariel flew low over an elevated road. She looked left and right, observing as elegantly curved detours bent down and led to lower levels where more platforms and courtyards hung in the shadow of their upper siblings. She spotted more and more of the metal machines—most of them left abandoned and crooked to the angles of the suspended pathways.

As she flew under a higher platform, she had to slow her path. She saw a myriad of glinting lines directly in front of her. At first, this confused the Heraldite, until she realized that she was spotting the outlines of spider webs in the twilight. Safely gliding around the widely-stretching strands, she saw decades upon decades of dust and sediment clinging to the silk. It looked to her as though nothing living had been caught—or bothered to even nest in those webs in eons.

The wind howled, reaching a high pitch.

Ariel fought a wave of chills, then turned about. She saw a courtyard lingering under a patch of dim twilight. A structure rose in the center, surrounded by empty and dead gardens. The twilight glinted against the glossy monolith at an angle, and Ariel could have sworn she saw shapes... lines... symbols.

Brow furrowed, she flew closer to investigate.


The end of Bard's staff scraaaaaaaaaaaaped against a shiny metal surface... then came to a rattling stop against a narrow fissure.

Wildcard paused in place. He twisted his grip of the weapon, feeling the direction in which the immense crack was going. He cocked his feathery head to the side, studying the angle of the damage and where it led to.

On quiet talons, the Desperado marched the circumference of a suspended platform. It hugged an immense spire's side, towards Alpha. Wildcard stepped in and around chunks of fallen debris and abandoned machinery along the way.

At long last, he came to the Curveside edge of the spire. It was there that he heard an immense groaning sound.

He froze in place, gripping the staff tightly in a metal hand.

The groaning tapered off... rattled... then repeated. Wildcard swiftly determined that it was a structural sound. An unfathomably immense weight of metal was settling somewhere around him—but he couldn't tell if it was below or above.

Pivoting to his right, he suddenly made the discovery.

A huge portion of the spire's Curveside section had been ripped to shreds. A veritable crater had imploded into the skyscraper's side. How it didn't completely collapse from the structural damage, Wildcard couldn't guess. But he was too busy staring at the source of the hole in the building's form.

A large... thing had collapsed into it. It took Wildcard a while to ascertain just what the object was. But after observing a lengthy period of time in the twilight, he realized that it was another building.

Yet... a building that didn't quite belong to the rest of the city. It resembled a concrete rotunda—or perhaps a dome—with countless segmented support pillars. The rogue building's material was pale, smoothe, and carried with it an aesthetic of antiquity. At a glance, Wildcard might guess that it was constructed out of marble, and along the upper edge of the dome he thought he saw engraved edifices of winged ponies flocking about counter-clockwise.

The Desperado's beak tightened. He flexed his wing muscles... then took off to get a better look at the scene from a highter altitude.

PreviousChapters Next