• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Come Vent Some Steam

Fluttershy was quite emphatic with her warning, and Rainbow Dash took her friend's concerns very, very seriously.

For the next few days ahead, the group steered clear of the fissures that were venting steam. This was because Rainbow Dash told them that—according to Fluttershy—there were living creatures at least five times the size of living ponies dwelling within the lower niches. Most of them were dormant and still, likely relying on the heated habitats for their cold-bloodedness. Nevertheless, Fluttershy was almost positive she sensed claws and barred teeth on the creatures' frames. The Herald had more than their fair share of slaughtered crustaceans for sustenance, so there was no immediate need to hunt more game—especially specimens so large and foreboding. Rather than wake any sleeping giants, they followed Rainbow as she (with Rarity's assistance) led them down sloped stone paths that were the most clear of fissures.

This turned out to be a fairly... taxing task. The narrow gaps in the earth were everywhere, and they were constantly venting steam. This made seeing them next to impossible; Rainbow Dash had to rely on Rarity a lot. However, even her senses were limited, and there were times when—without meaning to—she would inadvertenty lead the group down a dead-end that was cut off by sudden ravines dipping into the broiling depths. Rather than risk a run-in with a nasty beast, Rainbow insisted that the group double-back and seek another path to their objective.

Naturally, this only devoured a great deal of the group's time... and progress. Judging from the erratic patterns that they kept stumbling upon, it became swiftly apparent that there would be no straight line to their objective. One way or another, they would have to cross one of these hundreds upon thousands of fissures. What made the trek even more exhausting was the rising temperature in the air. The steam was most certifiably scalding, and while it wasn't exactly billowing everywhere, it made for a sweltering, humid environment. This sapped the strength from the group and made them precipitate profusely. As a direct result, their water reserves—resupplied handsomely by the Spindlers—were swiftly being depleted. For what it was worth, Kepler and Flynn had devised a way to capture much of the vented steam, condense it, then boil it once again before passing the water through an improvised purification system hammered together from spare Emeraldinian manatech. After all this effort and labor, barely a cup of drinkable water was produced. Twilight Sparkle put her brain to heavy use. Conveying instructions to Rainbow Dash, she was vicariously able to assist the Job Squadders intro improving the apparatus. But it still wasn't producing enough liquid to replace the rations they were losing. Either the group would have to arrive at a large body of water soon, or they would have to risk approaching one of the fissures to collect even more steam directly from the source.

Such would mean risking contact with the life forms dwelling below. Seeing how the Herald had progressed so deeply into this erratic landscape—and seeing how there was no telling how much further they had to go—Rainbow Dash decided that they would have to take the chance. Applejack and Pinkie swiftly agreed with her, and once Twilight Sparkle realized how exhausted Rainbow's traveling companions were getting, she convinced Rarity and Fluttershy that it was the best decision too.

Rainbow held a meeting with the rest of the Herald. There was very little reason to argue with her. Even Seraphimus showed an ounce of enthusiasm, insisting that they make fetching more water their top priority. Without hesitation, Kepler and Flynn worked on improving their purification device so that it could gather more steam within a shorter span of time. In the meantime, all four fliers—Rainbow, Ariel, Seraphimus, and Wildcard—went out scouting for the most suitable location. It was Ariel who spotted a superb spot: a fork in the vents nestled beneath a smattering of boulders. The earthen barrier could act as a natural bulwark against any sort of pouncing attack, Ariel suggested. Wildcard and Seraphimus agreed. What's more, Fluttershy only detected two living creatures there, and while they were larger than any single member of the Herald, the specimens were sizably smaller than the others she had sensed.

The moment of truth came about four days into the humid trek. If the group wasn't successful with gaining and purifying enough water, Rainbow Dash feared for their safety in the days to come. The Job Squadders approached the vent in question. Logan, Wildcard, and Seraphimus took point while Kepler and Flynn shuffled up with the apparatus. Ariel and Wildcard flew above the scene; both of them were armed with runic boomsticks, courtesy of Xarchellus' generosity on the Light Side. This situation felt like more than a sufficient reason to bring superior firepower.

The plan was to provoke the creatures hiding down below. Then—once they had burst out—the group would neutralize them just long enough to gather the required steam and then make a run back to the Wagon where three times as large a salvo of runes waited. The idea was daunting, to say the least, but the group was in a fight against time. Logan did the dirty work, grunting a command in moonwhinny that activated a mana-overburst in a cluster of runes. He then tossed the improvised grenade down into the steam-filled hole and jumped back, gripping his axe tightly.

Barely a second after the expected blast, two bodies of a startling blue color shot violently out of the fissure. Their speed was greater than even Fluttershy anticipated, and the air filled with guttural shrieks as the beasts evened out—landing atop the surface rock with ten thick legs fitted with iron hard claws. Their heads were narrow—like a shark's—and they possessed cartiligenous protrusions from their skulls that resembled the horns of stag beetles, only shimmering from top to bottom with passionate blue bioluminescence. The foggy air lit up in gray bands as both beasts thrashed their heads, bellowing to the stars. Nopony could make out their eyes; their faces were all teeth. At least three rows of them.

But then—as quickly as they had leapt to the surface—they both galloped briskly towards Omega, leapt high, and spread their five rows of legs. A fleshy membrane connected between each knee, and they glided desperately towards Omega, putting as much distance between themselves and the Herald without putting up so much as a fight.

This left the entire group blinking in disbelief. While they were glad that they didn't have to sacrifice any runes—or blood—to the present task at hoof, they were somewhat surprised that such predatory-looking creatures chose to pursure flight instead of fight. Kepler surmised that—as large and imposing and razor-toothed as the creatures were—there was an even more dangerous carnivore around... one that had been preying on these steam-basking creatures for so long that the beasts had chosen an anxious life of hiding beneath the rock over their natural-born instinct to hunt across the surface.

Judging from Merula's grim words back in the city, Rainbow Dash didn't need long to figure out precisely who that carnivore was.

The group took advantage of their surprise success. A full day was committed to harnessing as much steam as possible. Soon enough, Kepler and Flynn were able to fill all of their empty canteens with drinkable liquid. Satisfied—and more than a little bit elated—the group packed their things and continued forward with their journey. When they encountered more beasts, they attempted scaring the animals away like Logan had done the first time. They found they were successful on each occasion. Soon, the Herald had picked up speed, and they approached Omega with even greater zeal...

...and less than a day later, the steam vents finally dissipated, giving way to miniature rapids of trickling, crystal clean water.

Rainbow Dash found the nearest rock she could and struck her skull several times against it.

PreviousChapters Next