• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Two Birds; One Stone

"Right in here, Rainbow Dash," Rarity said—her voice touched with an ounce of worry.

Rainbow Dash trotted into the large lobby of a skyscraper. She wasn't alone. Seraphimus shuffled in after her, her gray feathers reflected in the sheen of multiple glass sheets. An elaborate arrangement of glass panels—perhaps magical in their ancient purpose—stretched in finite geometric patterns across the heart of the large chamber.

"I fail to see why you insist on us conversing here," Seraphimus stated in a calm tone. "No doubt your traveling companions outside would desire to hear what you have to say."

"I've already told them enough." Rainbow Dash glanced at Rarity, Twilight, and her other friends before stopping in her tracks and turning around to face the former Commander of the Talon. "I wished to see you," she said. "Just as you wished to see me."

Seraphimus was deadpan. "What do you mean, exactly?"

Pinkie Pie face-hoofed. Rainbow ignored it and replied, "It's been two weeks since we both went down to meet Abaddon. You've been asking the Herald periodically about my condition ever since I went unconscious." Her ruby eyes narrowed. "My friends... my ghostly friends have sensed you flying restless circles around the city for days and days on end."

"Can you fault me?" Seraphimus asked, headcrest raising slightly. "Living to the incessant prattle of your so-called 'Herald' is migraine-inducing."

"Well..." Applejack winked aside at Rainbow Dash. "Reckon she's got a point there."

Rainbow calmly responded to Seraphimus. "Nevertheless... you've had countless opportunities to leave by this point," Rainbow said. "I distinctly remember you telling me that it was what you wanted back before the visit with the Winter Children's mother transpired."

"An opportunity that I still cherish—"

"Stuff it, Seraphimus." Rainbow took a few bold steps towards her. "Why are you still around?" Her fuzzy brow furrowed. "What are you waiting for?"

Seraphimus' beak tightened. A flick of her lion's tail, and she said: "Did the spider venom give you anything? A vision? Some sort of unheard portion of the song conveyed?"

"You want answers..." Rainbow Dash breathed warmly. "You want to know more... just like I wish to."

Seraphimus fumed. "Is that why you brought me to this isolated place? To gloat and lord over me with your knowledge?"

"Seraphimus, Abaddon talked in circles—just like her Song. I scarcely know more than you do."

"I find that very hard to believe," Seraphimus grunted.

Applejack looked at Rainbow and nodded.

Rainbow sighed. "You heard the same words that I did, Seraphimus. Abaddon spoke to you and Wildcard as well down there..."

"But you were given the privilege of seeing more," Seraphimus said. "The venom... what vision did it grant you?"

Rainbow ignored her. "You heard Abaddon speak of Endrax... of the Sarcophagus of Ages... of the mysterious origin of this world and how it's fated to miraculously return to Urohringr... assuming that the forces of Harmony defeat the chaotic night attempting to secure the Prism—"

Seraphimus sneered: "That is all a pedantic mountain of useless information—"

"Is it?!" Rainbow's eyes sliced across the shadowed room. "It's all 'Blighted,' right?! Falsehoods?! Lies?! Heretical information relayed by a big friggin' spider deep in a world of eternal night?!"

Seraphimus' wings coiled tightly. "It..." She gulped, looking strangely vulnerable. "...I can't pretend to—"

"It's all real, Sera," Rainbow Dash said firmly. "You can't play it all off as hogwash from 'beyond the Blight.' Not anymore." She shook her head. "Not after all that you've seen. Not after all the blood that's been spilled—and most of it glowing. Jordan's not the only griffin with good eyes. Are you really going to insult me—and yourself—by continuing to deny what's happening here?"

Seraphimus looked away. A tense breath, and she muttered: "It was you who was summoned. Surely—in your comatose experience—you were given information that Jordan and I weren't—"

"Just about everything Abaddon told me, I already pretty much knew," Rainbow Dash said. Her ears twitched. "Just as the things you've heard were all that which I already told you."

"... ... ..."

"This is no longer the world that you once knew, Seraphimus," Rainbow said. "In fact... the world you knew—under Verlax—simply never was." She looked at Twilight Sparkle and the others. "I knew a world once. And while everything in my life has changed... I've learned long ago that it was simply a small piece of the big picture. And—each day—that picture only gets bigger and bigger."

Fluttershy and Rarity smiled.

Rainbow cleared her throat. "But... with as far as I've come... and with all the challenges I still have yet to face..." She looked at Seraphimus again. "I know that the old world I was foaled in will only get tinier and more precious. Home is still important to me, but I've got to keep my eyes set on what is ahead. And if I pay attention to what is behind, I will only benefit from having an honest... clear picture."

Seraphimus was chillingly silent for a good, long while.

Pinkie and Twilight looked nervously at one another.

At last, it was Rainbow who broke the quiet: "You've always thought I came to destroy Rohbredden fully and completely." She shook her head. "It's not what I wanted to do. But..." She bit her lip, ears drooping slightly. "...perhaps the truth itself would just... make that inevitable, Sera..."

"How was Endrax related to Verlaxion?" Seraphimus suddenly asked.

Twilight and Rarity blinked.

"She was her sister, Seraphimus," Rainbow explained in a cautious tone. She studied Seraphimus carefully. "It was Endrax whom Verlax ventured here to find... and then she went mad with her obsession over the Sundering."

"And that creature from the Edge..." Seraphimus stared daggers into the shadows. "Axan..."

"Also a sister... having taken the form of a pony—Remna." Rainbow took a deep breath. "Just as Verlax had taken on the form of 'Verlaxion,' your savior... in a long and epic farce to fool your entire civilization. A farce that worked."

Seraphimus eyes were darting. Searching. Glossy.

Applejack turned to look pointedly at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow saw it. She slowly trotted towards Seraphimus' side. "You had asked me what the point was for bringing us here? To this building?" She gestured towards the sheets of glass looming everywhere. "Well, Rarity tells me that everything in here is... very brittle."

Seraphimus' muscles tightened upon hearing that. Her eyes peered throughout the room in a daze. On scraping talons, she shuffled forward—limply at first—but then with heavy and heavier steps.

Rainbow and her ghostly companions looked on, silent and reserved.

At last, Seraphimus stood in a halo of gray reflections, all of them peppered in dust and obscurity. A dozen former Commanders gazed at each other... and a ripple of searing anger rolled through, converging in the center as the real one formed her talons into fists and launched herself at the nearest panel within screaming range: "Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!!!"

Rainbow closed her eyes.

SMASSSSH!

Seraphimus twirled like a serrated cyclone, smashing her fists into panel after panel, filling the chamber with echoes and covering the floor with glittering shards.

CRASSSSSSSH!

CRKKKKT!

SMASSSH!

Twilight Sparkle shivered.

Pinkie's tail twitched over and over again.

Fluttersy and Rarity hugged each other, wincing as they stared at the tense display.

Twenty seconds into the mad melee, Seraphimus—exhausted and even cut in a few places—fell to her knees amidst a weighted cascade of hyperventilation. She seethed and raged. Her hawkeyes—reduced to slitted pinpricks—took note of the faint ethereal glow coming from her injured flesh. It only infuriated her all the more, and soon she was clutching her scalp—plucking a few quills bloodily loose—as she howled into the emptiness of that abandoned hovel.

"HAAAAAA-AAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAUGGGHHH!!!"

Rainbow Dash stood her ground.

At long last, Seraphimus had spent her full breath. But not her passion. She fell forward, barely held in place by four quivering forelimbs. Something sprang from her now that Rainbow had never witnessed before, and although Rainbow had always suspected they could exist, the sight of them chilled her nevertheless.

As Seraphimus wept, her beak hung low, scraping dust and shards of grass with each lunging breath. She shivered in that dark cold place, like a penitent soul collapsing in a wintry forest. Only this time the anger had been spent, and what dwelled beneath—there was no flying away from.

The echo of her screams had barely settled when Rainbow heard a dark rush of wings. She turned around to see Wildcard speeding violently—worriedly—into the mouth of the chamber.

"!!!!!!"

Rainbow said no word. She simply held a hoof up.

The Desperado stopped in place, gripping Bard's staff. He maintained a distance at Rainbow's request, but his goggled eyes reflected Seraphimus' collapsed figure.

After a few somber minutes had passed, Rainbow dared to approach the sobbing griffin. She squatted low, close to her side. "The world's a big place... and its skies even bigger." Her ears dropped. "Even still... there's no greater height to fall from than yourself."

"It's the second t-time..." Seraphimus stammered, sputtered. She clenched her beak and shook her disheveled head. "Twice now... I have lost everything..." She sucked her breath in and seethed: "...all that I ever b-believed in..." Her talons formed shivering fists against the dirtied floor of that place. "Do you have any earthly idea what th-that's like...?!"

"I do."

Seraphimus flashed Rainbow a teary-eyed look.

"I also lost everything," Rainbow said. "In a blink." She slowly looked at Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, and finally Applejack. "All that I loved and cherished. All that I was loyal to. You think you're mad right now? Girl, it ain't a drop in the bucket to the rage-fest I had... the things I broke... the sheer chaos I unleashed." She stood up tall, wings flexing. "All that loss and pain and confusion... I couldn't live in the vacuum left behind from it. And that's when my journey began. And yet... years later... after all that I've learned and all the purpose I've gained... I still feel that loss every day."

Seraphimus simply gawked at her. The griffin's beak hung agape, pitiable and quivering.

"I shouldered that loss like it was all I had to define myself," Rainbow Dash said. "I traveled alone for so long. But something changed. It wasn't just what I had learned... but I discovered that I needed help to overcome my obstacles... for they were turning bigger and bigger than I could ever have fathomed." After a firm breath... she bravely held a hoof down towards the former Commander. "Those obstacles are in front of me again... and they're so big that they defy comprehension." Rainbow's eyes narrowed. "I... would very much like your help in dealing with them, Seraphimus."

Applejack, Twilight and the others looked between the two with held breaths.

Wildcard's grip of the staff tightened.

Seraphimus looked at Rainbow's hoof... then at Rainbow herself. There was something delicate beneath her breath for a moment there—like a nervous peep from a hatchling—and then her adult voice crept through, weak and trembling. "I can't imagine how you could possibly forgive me..." A tear. Two. "...f-for what I have done in the past."

"I've committed some pretty nasty sins too," Rainbow said. "And yet... I have friends who have forgiven me." A tender smile. "Friends who have helped me. Without them, I couldn't have gotten as far as I have." She stretched her hoof even further. "I can help you get far too, Seraphimus. Further than you can possibly imagine."

"... ... ..."

"I won't promise that it will fill in the space of what you've lost," Rainbow added in a somber turn. "But some broken things in this universe can be fixed. That's what badass souls like you and me are made for."

"... ... ..." Seraphimus didn't take Rainbow's hoof. However, she did stand up, calmer and quieter than she was seconds prior. When she looked at the petite pegasus, it was at eye level.

Rainbow lowered her hoof, blinking at the former Commander.

"You... n-need help with the blighted forces at play in this realm?"

Rainbow nodded firmly. "And how."

Seraphimus sniffled. She dried her face with the back of her talon, staring off across the sea of broken glass. "... ... ...then—for the time being—I suspect that remaining in your party would be for the best." Her headcrest rose. "Increased numbers sounds... exceedingly adequate."

Rainbow smirked devilishly. She reached out to pat Seraphimus' shoulder. "Wrong A-word."

PreviousChapters Next