• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Dark Corridors are Sexy

"Just a short flight of stairs, Rainbow Dash," Rarity said, floating ahead of the glow of Rainbow's pendant. She phased through a low-hanging ceiling and a series of metallic pipes. "There's a long corridor waiting here."

"Watch your stepsies!" Pinkie Pie insisted.

"I got it. I got it," Rainbow droned, shuffling down the steps and leaping down onto the floor of the stone hallway. "I'm not entirely blind, you know."

"Hmmmf!" Rarity upturned her nose. "I swear—by the time we're all done with this journey—you'll sorely miss having us to guide you around so magically!"

"I'm rather fond of the give-and-take," Rainbow muttered. "I mean... I love ya girls but it would be nice to go to bed and use the bathroom by myself for a change."

"I've never looked!" Pinkie said in a chipper tone.

The other ghostly mares looked at her.

"Honestly!" Pinkie grinned. "I haven't!"

"We... never would have suggested that you did," Fluttershy murmured.

"Good!" Pinkie grinned, twitching. "Because I super totally haven't!"

"Mrmmmfff..." Applejack clenched her jaw muscles. "Just how far are ya fixin' to go, Rainbow? I ain't too fond of you leavin' the rest of our company."

To that, Rainbow lifted her head and shouted over her shoulder. "Yo! Flynn! Wildcard! You still there?!"

A pause.

A male voice echoed back.

"We're here, Rainbow Dash! I think I've just about got these light fixtures adjusted!"

"I think that was Flynn just now," Pinkie said.

Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Cool! I'm just going to search this corridor!" Rainbow hollered back. "There are a lot of doorways! Maybe one of them leads to the central power source?!"

"Awesome! But—so you know—once I get one of these crystals to work, there'll be a slight mana-feedback!"

"Is that a bad thing in this case?!"

"Shouldn't be! This is very old tech! But it's sturdy! Alicorn stuff! Worst case scenario is the best case! You should see a flicker of light running down the leyline conduits! If my prediction is true, it'll lead you straight to the room where they house the central power unit!"

"Cool! I'll keep an eye out!"

"Don't wander too far! Wildcard's feathers are molting with concern!"

"Just chillax! I'll stay within yelling distance!" Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and shuffled forward along the corridor. "Whew... y'know..." She smirked to herself while chatting with the girls. "I've given my vocal chords quite the work out these past few years."

Twilight nodded. "I bet you have."

"But it's all good. I've had many reasons to yell during that timespan."

"Well..." Rarity smiled pleasantly. "Now that we're all back, you can practice being polite and soft-spoken again." She looked aside. "Isn't that right, Fluttershy?"

"Hmmm? What?" Fluttershy blinked. "Sorry, I wasn't listening."

"You look pooped, Flutters!" Pinkie exclaimed.

Fluttershy stifled a yawn. "I... I'm so sorry, girls..." Her ears folded. "I guess I didn't get as much rest as I wanted to."

"Well, technically speaking, none of us did," Twilight said. "Especially considering that... that... well..."

Rainbow gulped, gazing aside at the lingering doorframes. "I'm sorry, girls..."

"Don't be sorry, darling!" Rarity said.

"But I am. You guys need your rest, and... and for all I know..." Rainbow shuddered. "...I could just be making a mountain of a mole hill."

"No you ain't." Applejack squinted her eyes at her. "I know you, Rainbow Dash. You wouldn't just make up any ol' hogwash concernin' Discord."

Rainbow smiled pathetically. "You're talking to the mare who once painted an entire field of your apples with polkadots."

"Yes! Yes we did!" Pinkie giggled and toppled over in midair.

"That ain't the same mare who's trottin' through a scary, dark corridor in front of us right now." Applejack smiled. "You've changed... more for the better than you like to think, I bet."

A sigh escaped Rainbow's lips. "Yeah... maybe..."

"And the way we've figured it... he won't be showin' up so long as we're around to keep Rainbow protected all harmonic-like." Applejack looked at Twilight. "Ain't that right, Twilight?"

"Well, in theory, yes." Twilight nodded. "We are the Elements of Harmony, after all. And there are way more of us than him."

"Sooooooo... what's stoppin' us from takin' turns already?" Applejack smiled at Fluttershy. "You go ahead and mosey on into the Vanilla Zone, sugarcube. Get some shuteye while we watch over Rainbow."

"Thank you, Applejack... Twilight..." Fluttershy rubbed her eye but nevertheless smiled. "But—if it's all the same to you—I would much rather wait until the Herald have fully settled here in Darkreach."

Applejack shrugged. "Suit yerself, darling."

"Awwwwwwwww... that's too bad..." A voice rasped from the shadows.

"...!!" Rainbow Dash jolted in place and looked around.

"...I think I would have greatly enjoyed watching her sleep."

At last, Rainbow shone her pendant's light into a small room.

Light glinted off a series of steel bars and reflective metal slabs. Rainbow saw the hint of reflected goat fur vanishing as soon as her light hit it.

"Like yellow slush with the voice of a foppish librarian. Heheheh..."

Rainbow Dash grimaced. Her eyes darted around.

Twilight Sparkle hovered closer. "Is something wrong, Rainbow Dash?"

Their anchor didn't say anything, but she was noticeably paler than a few seconds ago.

Twilight's brow furrowed. "He's here, isn't he?"

Rainbow gulped. "Yes..." She gulped again. "And n-no..."

"Huh?" Pinkie blinked.

"It's... it's like he's here and yet... he isn't here..." Rainbow shivered slightly. "Like... I heard his voice and everything. But when I shine the light around..." She fidgeted in place. Shrunken pupils twitching, she turned to look at the girls. "You guys seriously don't hear him?"

They mutually shook their head.

"Wish we could say we did, darling." Rarity gulped. "Despite how detestable the thought of him is—we would greatly desire to subdue him for you."

"But, long and short of it, he can't touch you, Rainbow!" Applejack said. "And he can't hurt us."

"Not again." Twilight shook her head. "We're here to stay. Not him."

"Then..." Rainbow stared down the dark corridor once again. "...why can't I seem to get rid of him?"

The girls had no response to that.

BZZZZT!

Rainbow Dash hopped clear off the floor with a gasp.

Over her head, a series of metal cables lit up with bright blue brilliance. A beam of mana-powered energy buzzed its way down the corridor, hooked a right, and descended another stairwell.

"Whoops!" Flynn's voice could be heard echoing down the hallway from above. "Feedback was a bit bigger than I expected! Eheh! Are you following it, Rainbow?"

Rainbow's teeth chattered.

"... ... ...Rainbow?"

"Yes! Right! Totally!" Rainbow scampered towards the far end of the dark chamber. "Following!"

PreviousChapters Next