• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,641 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,641

PreviousChapters Next
Let It All Out

With a streak of dark feathers, Wildcard glided down from a high altitude patrol. His talons scraped the stone earth as he came to a swift stop.

Ariel looked up, a petite pegasus cradled in her forelimbs. "Anything?"

Wildcard shook his head. Not long later, a wyvern touched down at his side.

"Mrmmff!" Kepler caught his breath, stood up, and held his glasses steady as he spoke. "We searrched high and low! Just shorrt of scaling the mesa!" He shuddered. "I'm afrraid we found nothing."

"That goes for us too..." Flynn strolled up with Logan in tow. They stood above the flattened remnants of their tent. "Nothing hiding behind any of the rock structures. My horn couldn't illuminate a single thing."

"I swung my axe at the shadows for good measure," Logan grumbled.

Flynn rolled his good eye. "Point is..." He turned to face Ariel. "...we're just as alone now as we were when we first set camp here."

"This ravine is desolation incarnate!" Logan's brow furrowed. "I mean... no offense... but what's the point in searching? If Rainbow's friends can't sense anything—"

"Big Show...!" Ariel frowned, giving Rainbow's shoulders a squeeze. "Shhhhh..."

"Look... I'm no big fan of her freaking the buck out either," Logan said. "But if there's any making sense of this—shouldn't the ball start in her invisible friends' court?"

Ariel shook her head. "Rainbow Dash is not the one who should be pressured into—"

"They sense nothing," Rainbow Dash stammered.

Wildcard craned his neck to look at her.

Ariel patted Rainbow's shoulder. "Rainbow..."

"They don't..." Rainbow sniffled, strill trembling all over. "But I know what I saw... what I heard." Her eyes darted around in a nonstop cold panic. "He's b-back... I don't know how... but he's back..."

"This crreaturre..." Kepler took a few steps forward, his eyes narrowing. "...this 'Discorrd'... he is the one rresponsible forr yourr chaotic state, yes?"

"I'm responsible for my chaotic state," Rainbow momentarily growled. "All because I killed him. I picked up the Element of Loyalty and s-single-hoofedly turned him into stone. I dashed him into a hundred pieces and... and..." Rainbow clenched her teeth as more tears welled up. "How can he possibly be back? How? I don't understand... how?!"

"Rainbow Dash..." Rarity floated in front of the mare, stealing both her attention and her words. "We've been over this a dozen times! None of us sense anything different!"

"If... if there was a dragonequus nearby... Discord or not..." Fluttershy gulped. "I-I'm sure I could sense him. At least... at least I think I—"

"Maybe her nightmares came back!" Pinkie suggested. She looked directly at their anchor. "Could you just have had a bad dream, Dashie?"

"No, Pinkie..." Rainbow gnashed her teeth as the Herald blinked in response. She shook in Ariel's grip, her ears folding back. "This was real. You don't know because you didn't have to deal with him like I did."

"Heeeeeeeey..." Pinkie pouted, folding her forelimbs. "Being blown to pink smithereens is definitely dealing with it—!"

Applejack placed a hoof on Pinkie's shoulder, silencing her. She turned to look at the others. "Rainbow's tellin' the truth, y'all."

"Or she thinks she's tellin' the truth," Rarity said.

"Our loyalest mare's been battlin' all sorts of epic monsters and heebie-jeebies for over two years now!" Applejack's brow furrowed. "Dun ya think she'd know the difference between what's real and what's a mind spell?"

"With all that chaos in her system, who knows, Applejack?" Rarity said in a sympathetic turn. "And here we are on the Dark Side..."

"Girls!" Twilight hovered squarely next to Applejack. "Aren't we forgetting something? When we tried to get out of the Harmonic state—"

"Vanilla Zoooooone!" Pinkie hoofy-kicked.

Twilight sighed. "The Vanilla Zone. When we heard Rainbow and tried to get out... something was keeping us from exiting!"

Fluttershy shuddered. "Or someone..."

"Right." Twilight nodded.

"Oh dear..." Rarity grimaced. "...you can't possibly be suggesting—"

"This was our very first trip to the Vanilla Zone after crossing over to the Dark Side," Twilight Sparkle said. "It's the first time we—the Elements of Harmony—decided to leave Rainbow Dash and 'recharge.' So... what if there's more to it than just the five of us attached to Rainbow?"

"Tw-Twilight...?" Rainbow Dash sat up, her lips quivering. "You... are you meaning to say he's... he's anchored...?"

"Anchored?" Logan belched. "Who's anchored?"

"Discord?" Flynn murmured.

"Hrrmmmm..." Kepler stroked his hairy chin. "Rrainbow Dash..." He looked at her calmly. "You arre am exceptional specimen forr possessing harrmonic enerrgy in its purrest forrm—as embodied by the souls of yourr closest frriends whom you've absorrbed back in Equestrria..." He narrowed his eyes. "But that isn't the only spectacularr thing about you... forr you arre also imbued with chaos. A blessing orr an infection, you werre neverrtheless forreverr changed by the rrift that opened in the hearrt of yourr kingdom. What if—just possibly—the souls of yourr frriends werren't the only things that you absorrbed...?"

Wildcard's goggles rattled at that. He turned and looked nervously at Rainbow.

Rainbow Dash's coat had paled even more. "No... that can't be right..." She shook her head, trembling even harder. "That's bullcrap! I got rid of him for good!"

"Rainbow Dash..." Flynn spoke quietly, carefully. "All this time... you've flown under the lights of the Alicorn Princesses... and the Firmaments placed their harmonically by their forebearers. But none of that is shielding you here on the Dark Side." His ears folded anxiously. "Nothing is around us to shield the chaos within any longer—"

"He..." Rainbow clutched her pendant desperately with quivering fetlocks. "...is dead. It's gotta be some crazy monster impersonating him or something!"

"Rainbow—"

"You just haven't found him yet! You just h-haven't..." Rainbow's voice gave out, replaced instead by pitiful hyperventilation. She lost the strength to sit upright and more or less collapsed to her side.

Ariel easily caught her. "Shhh-shhhh... just breathe. It's okay. You're not alone with this..."

"Don't want him to be back don't want him to be back don't want him to be back..." Rainbow Dash repeated with foalish squeaks. She curled up in Ariel's embrace.

Twilight, Rarity, and the others watched with misty-eyed expressions.

Ariel looked up at the rest of the Herald.

The males exchanged nervous glances. At last, Wildcard nodded and—fwooosh!—resumed flying in a wide orbit of the camp site.

As Kepler joined him, Flynn and Logan shuffled off. "We'll... uh... go looking around the outer fringes of the ravine."

"Stay close together," Ariel said, stroking Rainbow's mane. "No matter what, keep each other safe."

"Roger that."

As the Herald split apart, Ariel remained in place, holding Rainbow close. "They're going to keep looking, Rainbow."

"I'm so scared..." Rainbow cried. Her voice cracked as every defense dissolved completely. "Goddess help me, I h-haven't been this scared in f-forever..." She clenched her eyes shut. "Mmmmmm... Celestiaaaaaa..."

"It's okay..." Ariel smiled gently before nuzzling the mare close. "It's okay, Rainbow. Let it out. It's okay, girl..."

Rainbow sobbed like an infant, even as her friends circled closer. The only one looking remotely composed was Applejack. She hovered higher—like a sentry—gazing around at the darkness surrounding. At long last, her ghostly eyes found the silvery shape of Seraphimus off to the side.

The griffin wouldn't stop staring at the sobbing pegasus.

Applejack's eyes narrowed... and her frown was far from a subtle thing.

PreviousChapters Next