• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
End With a Bang

"Ooomf!" The changeling fell back against a stack of tools. The common room echoed from clattering metal as it snarled, tossed its blonde mane, and came running straight back for Rainbow with a blood-curdling drawl: "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!"

"Look out, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack phased through the nearby wall as she hovered above her anchor. "I'm comin' in for another charge—I mean... the changeling's comin' in—"

"I got it, AJ!" Rainbow Dash jumped high, flapped her wings, and flew over the creature's charge—or so she thought.

"Hressssh!" The farm mare's eyes turned compound in a green flash as its hat disappeares. Milliseconds later, its shoulder sprouted a tentacle that grabbed Rainbow by the lower fetlock. THWPPP!

"Rainbow!" Rarity exclaimed, floating close. "That spare limb is very brittle—!"

"Right." Rainbow simply spun about and swung her hoof through the appendage, instantly snapping it.

Green blood splattered across the stone floor of Darkreach.

"Mrnnghhhh!" The changeling backtrotted, its body rippling through orange, white, lavender, and pink coats. It finally settled for Fluttershy—or at least a Fluttershy with scorpion tails emerging from its shoulders. "Hresssssh!" It soared into Rainbow Dash, slashing and stabbing with its stingers.

Rainbow flew backwards, wrestling with the creature and dodging its tail-stabs with deft movements of her neck.

"Oh goodness!" The real Fluttershy covered her ghostly eyes. "Oh goodness it's too much!"

"Quick, Dashie!" Pinkie hollered. "Find a giant napkin to squash it!"

"It's a lot weaker than it looks!" Rainbow snarled back, being pressed against a table.

"Rainbow!" Ariel flinched, moving to lean Wildcard against a table. "Hold on! I'll help—!"

"No!" Rainbow sneered, dodging more stinger attacks. "Stay put!"

"But I can kick its butt! Honest—!"

"I know!" Rainbow spat, struggling. "But the moment you stop guarding Wildcard, he'll rush in on his lonesome and get hurt even more! And I'm not having that!"

With a frown, the last Desperado moved forward...

...only to be yanked back in place by Ariel. "You heard the mare." Ariel nevertheless gulped, staring wide-eyed at the fight. "She's got this."

"Rrrrrrrrrr—" Rainbow Dash pressed her rear hooves against the table behind her and shoved the metamorph backwards with her forelimbs. "Haaaaaaaugh—!" She then kicked against the furniture and performed a backwards bicycle kick, knocking the creature flat on its back.

WHUD!

Within a blink, Rainbow had finished her midair cartwheel and dove at the creature. Swoooooosh! She flew into it with beating wings, shoving the beast across the room.

Seraphimus' tear-stained eyes reflected the two bodies surging by.

WHAM! At last, Rainbow shoved the changeling into the wall on the opposite side. She pressed her weight against the squirming, bleeding thing and gnashed her teeth. "Give up!" she hollered. "You can't win against all of us! You're starving. You're weak. And you're confused! That's okay! We can friggin' help you!"

"Mrnnngh... Bloodwings..." The creature shrieked in Twilight's voice, and then in Bellesmith's. "Bloodwings!" As it hyperventilated, its pupils rotated through multiple ponies' colors. "Must... k-kill you all..." A whimper, and then Roarke's cold tone: "She will find you. I will show her."

"Don't trust her. Do you hear me?!" Rainbow's eyes narrowed. "You think she loves you. But Tchern left you here to be nothing more than a weapon. Well, you deserve more! Please, stop fighting! Let us show you there's another way!" Rainbow gulped. "This doesn't have to end in bloodshed!"

"Bloodshed...?" At long last, the panting changeling looked straight at her opponent. It swallowed, and an eerily smug voice rolled out its mandibles. "But Sparky..." Red on yellow eyes. Goat hair solidified beneath asymmetrical horns. "...if you did not like bloodshed, how would you have even made it this far?" A fanged smile.

Rainbow froze in place.

From across the room, Seraphimus sneered: "Fool!" She rattled in her chains. "It's baiting you—!"

It was far too late, the dragonequus skull headbutted Rainbow Dash savagely while she was transfixed.

"Ooomf!" Rainbow rolled backwards through a puddle of green changeling blood.

"Rainbow!" Ariel yelped and flew to her side.

"Mrmmmf... Mommy..." The creature shook, shivered, then bounded up the nearest stairwell. "Must... f-find..." Claws and chitin and buzzing wings. It was gone in a green blur. "Reveal..."

Goggles rattling, Wildcard hobbled after it.

"Mrmmfff..." Rainbow struggled to get up, bleeding from the head. "Wildcard... friggin'..."

Cold laughter.

"...?" Rainbow squinted at the nearby puddle of green liquid.

There was a flash of scales, and then a fanged grin formed against the surface of the changeling's fluid. "You know, the little bugger makes a good point..."

Before Rainbow could respond, she felt Ariel's hooves lifting her up. "Rainbow—!" She stammered. "Wildcard's giving chase! Want me to stop him—?"

"Never mind Wildcard, stop the changeling!" Rainbow shook Ariel off and stumbled after the Desperado. "It's heading upstairs! That can only mean one thing!"

"Hurry, Rainbow!" Fluttershy insisted.

"It's headed towards the loading area!" Rarity added.

"If Flynn got this place buzzing again..." Pinkie began.

"Everypony!" Rainbow hollered, her voice echoing through the colony as Kepler stirred to his feet way behind them. "Don't... let it... escape...!"


Panting...

Bleeding... ...

Stumbling... ... ...

The changeling changed bodies ten times per minute. It never once lost its pace as it galloped desperately for the upstairs loading area.

At last, it approached the concrete ramp leading towards the flat metal door.

Its head flickered—possessing Flynn's scalp for a brief moment. Wisened eyes wandered to the left, where it found a dimly-lit instrument panel. The changeling reached over, slapping a button with Seraphimus' palm.

Whurrrrrrrrrrrr!

The ramp opened up to hazy twilight and stars.

The top of the mesa was exposed in a silver line.

"Oh mother..." The changeling whimpered. A smiling muzzle... beak... tusks. It rose on leather and feather wings, flying limply up the ramp, empowered by tears. "Oh mother, I'm coming. We'll be together once again."

It rose higher and higher, almost clearing the door, gaining speed.

"We'll be—"

Thw-Thw-Thw-Thw-THW-THWOOOSH!

A heavy axe flew up the ramp and—

CHTUNKK!!!

—embedded itself deep in the metamorph's thorax, almost cleaving the ceature in two.

"Grkkkkk!" The changeling spat a fountain of green slime out its mandibles. It lurched in midair, its wings buzzing in agonized desperation.

Far behind, down the ramp, a side door had slid open to reveal a vertical crawlspace. There Logan stood, covered in sweat and soot. He panted while squinting at his mortal blow from a distance.

"Mrmmmffg... grnnnghhhlll..." The creature let out a whimper, then slumped down hard on the concrete. It slid down the ramp, quickened by the pool of its own blood. Eventually, the friction caused by the axe impaling it caused the body to grind to a halt.

Taking deep breaths, Logan bore a somber expression as he marched towards the thing.

Meanwhile, Wildcard, Ariel, and Rainbow Dash emerged from the stairwell below. They scuffled to a stop, gawking at the bloody scene.

"Whoah...!" Ariel grimaced. "Big Show..."

Rainbow's ears drooped. "Awwwwww for frig's sake..." A heavy exhale. "Was that really necessary?"

"Jeez, you're welcome," Logan grunted as he retrieved his axe with a wet sound. "Better it than us... or the entire journey for that matter—"

"D-Daddy...?"

Logan's pupils instantly shrank. He peered beyond the dripping lengths of his axe.

The changeling had rolled over onto its back. Chitinous skin unfurled above the wound, turning into a soft, rose-peach color. An earth pony foal with a gold mane and blue eyes looked up at him, eyes tearing.

"Daddy... it hurts, Daddy..."

Ariel and Rainbow blinked in confusion.

Wildcard's headcrest lifted.

Logan, meanwhile, was struggling to catch his breath again. "...come on, you bastard freak..." He gulped. "Don't friggin' do this..."

"You said that it wouldn't hurt," the foalish half of the changeling sobbed as its eyes burned green. "You s-said it would be like going to sleep..."

Ariel stammered. "Big Show...?"

"Shut up..." Logan hissed. He clenched his eyes shut as his ears flattened. "Everypony... just shut up—"

"Logan..." The foal's bleeding gums took on a vicious frown. "Logan, you no-good son of a bitch..." The creature heaved forward, its skull enlarging into that of an adult mare, red-coated and howling: "I should have murdered you before I even foaled her!" Her eyes were literally smoking and her body hissed like a steam kettle. Fumes rose from every bleeding orifice of the changeling as the air filled with a pungent odor.

Rainbow coughed, her ears tearing. "Twilight—Kaff! Koff!—what is that?!"

"A chemical reaction!" Twilight gasped. "Oh Celestia—!"

"Quii-ii-iick!" Pinkie quivered all over. "Jump for cover—!"

Rainbow grabbed Ariel and dove aside. "Wildcard!"

Wildcard threw himself forward by his wings. He caught Logan by the shoulders and flung their combined weight backwards just as—

POWWWWW! The changeling's corpse erupted in an acidic bubble of flames that branched outward in every direction, filling the entire chamber with flesh-searing plasma.

PreviousChapters Next