• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Don't Drop the Ball

Twilight Sparkle's eyes twitched. "Rainbow."

Rainbow Dash looked over her shoulder. She and Ariel were gliding along the outer edge of the promontory overlooking the ravine. "What's up?"

"Magic.' Twilight gulped. "I sense... magic."

"Well, of course you do, silly!" Pinkie Pie pointed at the sphere puttering up ahead, climbing the final ascent. "That thing's been shimmer-glimmering away for the last hour!"

"No... no..." Twilight rubbed her horn, grimacing slightly. "This is a different magic. A deeper one."

"'Deeper' how, darling?" Rarity asked.

"I-I'm not sensing any living thing out here," Fluttershy said. "Wherever this magic is... it's just magic."

"Still..." Rainbow took a breath, looking forward. "Sensing magic where—all this time—there's been a whole lot of nothing... is something."

Ariel threw Rainbow a double-take. "What? Are the girls sensing Darkreach?"

Rainbow narrowed her eyes. All ahead of them was impenetrable darkness. "I'm not sure..."

"Can you... pinpoint the location, Rainbow?" Twilight asked.

Twilight raised a hoof... pointed it... pivoted slightly... and pointed again. "In that direction. Slightly... down a bit."

"You mean back into the ravine?" Applejack asked.

"No." Rarity shook her head. "I do believe that Twilight is pointing into the heart of the mesa across the way."

"Sounds like the ticket!" Pinkie exclaimed.

Rainbow cleared her throat. She turned around to shout at the other herald. "Guys! I think Twilight's found—!"

"Harrk!" Kepler's voice cracked in a panic. He gestured with a shaky claw. "The sphere!"

"Huh?" Ariel looked.

"Aw sh-shit!" Flynn gnashed his teeth—nearly tripping over himself while drawing the sled of supplies. "It's heading for the edge!"

Sure enough, the Cylindrimanian object in question was swiftly barreling for the edge of the promontory... and into plummeting darkness.

"Quick!" Kepler sputtered through his tusks. "Someone catch it!"

"Awww Hell..." Logan grunted from afar.

"I got it!" Ariel began a swift dive. Her ears folded back in mid-plummet. "Crud! It's too far—"

The sphere fell over the edge like a crimson flare.

"...!!!" Wildcard briskly unhitched himself from the sled, abandoned Flynn's side, and rocketed towards the cliff's edge in a black streak. Swooooooosh! He shot beneath Ariel, vanished... and rose back up with the fluctuating sphere tucked under his good arm.

"Whew..." Logan exhaled. He slumped to a stop, then frowned at the griffin tethered behind him. "You shut up."

Seraphimus' eyes narrowed. "I did not say a thing."

"You were thinkin' it!"

Ariel, Rainbow Dash, and Kepler joined up with Wildcard at the cliff's edge.

"So... what the buck?" Ariel stammered, still catching her breath.

"Why did it up and toss itself over the edge like that?" Rainbow asked. "Can ancient machines get existentially depressed?"

"It is simply a matterr of prrogrraming," Kepler remarked. "Let us not be drrawn into errroneously assigning this machine a perrsonality!"

"Well, Kepler, if you ask me it looks like the thing's having a temper tantrum!" Ariel remarked, pointing at the thing.

The device shook and gyrated and whirred in Wildcard's grasp. The three-limbed griffin struggled to keep the thing from flying off into the darkness again.

"Herre..." Kepler reached in and shut the device off. "Allow me..."

The glowing red sphere went dormant. Wildcard lifted his goggles and looked curiously at the others.

"Your guess is as good as mine, Wildcard," Rainbow said. She looked towards the darkness, scratching her head. "Rarity? Twilight? Any idea on where the thing was headed?"

"Straight for the mesa, darling," Rarity said.

"That's exactly where the magic I'm sensing is located," Twilight added. "Rainbow—I'm quite certain the sphere was only trying to return to Darkreach."

"But why take the plunge?" Rainbow slurred. "Was this sphere supposed to fly?"

"Did the old spheres in Danksteen fly when you first saw them on the Light Side?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"'Darkstine', and that was modern day tech, Pinkie. Who knows if the Cylindrimanians could build stuff that advanced centuries ago."

"Hrmmmmm..." Pinkie looked into the shadows. "Maybe it was expecting a piggyback."

"Ain't no pigs on this side of the plane, darlin'," Applejack said.

"Not that kind of a 'piggyback,' Applejack," Rainbow said, trotting up to the very edge.

"Rainbow?" Ariel hovered close. "What are your friends saying?"

"The little space marble thingy was definitely heading towards the mesa situated on the other side..." Rainbow murmured, squinting.

"But... how? Why?" Ariel gestured. "This isn't where one of the two bridges is located."

"Not now, it isn't..." Rainbow tilted her neck down. She stared at the dark stone edge of the promontory... at the obsidian crags lining the edges of the ravine below. It was hard to make out in the dim twilight, but she thought she saw some peppery bits of paler stone... like shattered concrete. "... ... ...Rare-Rare?"

The ghostly fashionista hovered closer. "You raaaaaaaang?"

"Anything... uh... weird about the rocks below us?"

"Not a single thing whatsoever!" Rarity exclaimed.

Rainbow sighed. "Okay."

"Wait..." Rarity struck a melodramatic pose, her horn glowing with intense scrutiny.

Twilight and Applejack rolled their eyes.

"... ... ...now that I think of it..." Rarity fluffed her mane, scanning the heavens with her eyes while her horn strobed. "Yes... yes! I do sense something different about this part of the ravine!" She pointed suddenly towards the cliff's edge. "Look! Examine that portion of the rock, if you would!"

Rainbow flapped her wings and hovered ahead. Ariel nervously followed her.

Soon both pegasi were levitating right above the precipice. Following Rarity's directions, Rainbow approached a swath of rock that stood out from the rest of the stone material. It was pale, smooth in multiple places, and fused tightly to the preexisting cliffside.

"A foundation..." Ariel murmured.

"Your adorable fuzzy friend is right!" Rarity beamed. "That is very... very unnatural stone! Mixed and poured several lifetimes ago!"

"So... that means..." Rainbow pivoted about.

"The bridge fell ages ago," Twilight remarked. "The metal sphere wasn't programmed to take that into acount."

"Darkreach must be on the other side!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Is... is it safe for us to cross?" Fluttershy stammered.

Rainbow inhaled. "Only one way for us to find out." She turned to look at the rest of the Herald. "We found our place of entrance, guys."

"Entrance?" Logan craned his thick neck. "I don't see a damn thing!"

"Because the bridge fell out years ago, dumbass," Flynn said. "That's what she's trying to say!"

"Oh. Great. Perfect." Logan shrugged his shoulders, causing the sled behind him to shake. "How are we gonna get this shit over?"

"One thing at a time..." Rainbow paced through the group. "We need to scout ahead."

Ariel and Wildcard immediately shot a hand up.

Rainbow smirked slightly. "Yeah. I could have predicted that." She stood up straight. "But I'm going with you dudes."

"But... Rrainbow One..." Kepler adjusted his spectacles. "What if the entrrance to Darrkrreach holds unknown perrils?"

"I'll be safe so long as I'm with you guys," Rainbow Dash said. "Besides..." She slapped a hoof over Kepler's hairy shoulder. "You're coming with?"

Kepler blinked. "I am?"

"Yup!" Rainbow gripped him and kicked off the cliff's edge. "Come on, everypony! Be there or be square!"

"Guhhhhhhhh!" Kepler writhed in her grasp, unaccustomed to flying at the pegasus' speed. Wildcard and Ariel swiftly followed behind.

"We'll... uh... we'll be in touch!" Ariel called back to the two stallions guarding the bound Seraphimus. "Just stick around for a bit!"

"Wait! Can't you just—" Flynn reached a hoof out.

Too late. The four figures disappeared into shadow and twilight.

Flynn leaned back, nostrils flaring. "Mrmfff... this sucks."

Seraphimus nodded. "I am inclined to agree."

"Shut up!" both Stallions grunted.

PreviousChapters Next