• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
The Muck and Mud

Traversing the canyon took another four days—at least by Kepler's measurements. It was Ariel who first noticed a gradual change in the topography of the surrounding landscape. The dual mountain ranges that flanked the dead riverbed grew stouter and stouter—until soon the Herald's journey was threading no more than a series of rolling hills. The group noticed that there was a slowly declining grade to the environment. Everything was sloping downward, and when Rainbow Dash hovered just a few meters off the ground she could see that the horizon towards Alpha was disapearring into a dark haze.

The air grew strangely humid. There was moisture somewhere—but the group couldn't tell where. Not at first. Armor fogged and vapors appeared in the glow of the hovercraft's chaotic enchantment. When asked, Rarity explained to Rainbow that some sort of moisture was lying deep underground and some of it was seeping upwards. Twilight assumed it was some sort of natural aquifer or spring that survived the Sundering. Kepler made a similar hypothesis after being consulted by Rainbow.

At long last, the canyon dissolved entirely—but the riverbed did not disappear. Instead, it spread into dozens if not hundreds of miniature tributaries. Some dried-up streams were the widths of houses, others were only half-a-meter thick. Between the forking beds were rising mounds of earth: hard jagged rock. These terrestrial formations rose higher and higher. Soon, what was once a flat river bed had become a dazzling forest of bulbous rocks, rising up like petrified mushrooms from the earth. They even had "stems." The further the Herald traversed, the higher the rocks rose from the descending dried-up tributaries, and the stone structures flared at the top with narrow stalks supporting their weight.

Kepler presumed that this was the result of some kind of gradual erosion over time. After the Sundering, a massive deluge of moisture must have roared its way down the remnants of the natural canyon. Combined with leaking aquifers, an array of raging rapids must have once existed, thundering beneath the twilight. They produced this inexplicable forest of eroded rock down a steep slope. It was the assumption of most Herald members that they had to have been approaching the Great Ocean soon—for such would be a sensible place to have collected the remaining moisture of the Dark Side. However, Rarity sensed no enormous basin of any kind yet. Despite an underlying retention of moisture beneath the earth's surface, she was sensing no surface-level lake. The expedition continued.

Days into this earthen trek, the ground grew noticeably muddy. Ponies like Flynn, Ariel, and especially Logan found it exceedingly difficult to march across the ancient tributaries without getting their hooves stuck in soppy muck. Thankfully, the hovercraft gave them means of conveyance, and those with wings scouted ahead to check for patches of mud that could be avoided. It was during this reconaissance that Wildcard first discovered signs of life. Fluttershy confirmed it. There were... things living in the muck. With a blast of magic, Flynn exposed a nested pocket, and the group saw shelled creatures with luminescent exoskeletons shimmying towards the deeper shadows. They resembled a cross between pill bugs and horseshoe crabs, but they were clearly the size of domesticated canines. Logan—stomach growling—immediately suggested the obvious. He, Ariel, and Wildcard attempted to surprise and spear another nest of them—but the creatures merely slid into deeper, muddier hiding.

So, with a sigh, Seraphimus grabbed a spear of Emeraldinian metal without asking Flynn's permission. In a blink, she had flown off. Thirty minutes later, she returned with a bloodied spear and four giant crustaceans dangling over her back. Without a word, she heaved the fresh carcasses onto the hovercraft and by the next camp session, Kepler had something for a stew. Turns out the shells were protecting an ample supply of nourishing meat. The cooked muscle tasted sweet to the bite—or so Ariel and Flynn had told Rainbow. Rainbow stuck with the strange beets the Spindlers had given them.

The next few days brought with it lots of ample meat. If nothing else, the presence of living things brought excitement and change to the journey. No longer imprisoned by the towering walls of an endless canyon, the Herald were happy to fill the hours with casual hunt. Seraphimus even showed them a few tricks for outsmarting the little mud spawns. When it became clear that catching these things was a great deal easier than it seemed at first, the Herald held off a bit. There was no telling what unfortunate circumstances might bring them back to a place like that, and they didn't want to rid it entirely of game.

More days passed. Kepler was having to draw notches into a new page of his journal. Around the group, the rock formations sank and dissipated. In its place, a thin layer of moisture had formed—crystal clean and reflective. Twilight and Applejack assumed that there would be a lake nearby—or even the ocean. Yet again, Rarity dashed their hopes. She did—however—confirm that multiple springs were bubbling up to the surface. The cool puddles under Rainbow's hooves weren't going to last forever.

Rarity didn't need to explain this, for Rainbow saw it. The tributaries dipped into foggy holes, venting with steam and hot air. The horizon towards Omega had grown foggy with a miasma of water vapors. Before Rainbow's visibility dwindled, she spotted chunks in the earth—shadowed niches where shapes stirred... making clicking sounds and faint scratches. The landscape ahead was full of porous holes, and the trickling of liquid and the hiss of steam added to the unsettling alien topography.

Rainbow Dash steeled herself. She told the Herald that they would have to slow their movement to a cautious crawl over the next few days.

She didn't receive any complaints for the suggestion.

PreviousChapters Next