• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Float Down the Liffey

The ravine ran endlessly—or so Rainbow Dash felt. The trench was far longer than any structure she and the Herald had encountered since crossing the world's edge. To their mental relief, it wasn't exactly uniform all throughout. The dried-up riverbed twisted and turned with gradual serpentine grace, and the rising earthen walls danced along with it. This—of course—only carried weight over a prolonged period of passing. It took half a day of full travel for the canyon to expose a turn, and yet another half a day for it to swing right back. All the while, rising hills and steep cliffs flanked the sunken bed at every twist.

Thankfully, the canyon—with all of its erratic features—still more or less followed the path that Rainbow and her friends were desiring. Rainbow periodically checked the dragonstone with faithful vigilance, and while it pushed them a bit closer to Omega than she had hoped, there was little threat that they'd be funneled directly into the draconian flicker of tell-tale Bloodwing territory. This was a good thing—because if they did need to steer themselves outside the flow of the canyon, then they'd have to face the horrible challenge of somehow pushing Flynn's chaos-imbued wagon past the high Curveside walls of the ravine. It was either that or turn around and double-back the way they came. Such was a prospect that nopony looked forward to... especially so many unscaleable days into the trip.

Kepler was the only member of the Herald who actually attempted to keep track of "time." He did this through use of an artifact that he had pilfered from Darkreach. It was an ancient Emeraldinian apparatus of sorts—it original purpose obscured through age and neglect. Nevertheless—whatever it was—it ran on manacrystals without terribly draining their power. What's more, it would let loose a chime noise every sixty minutes on the dot and without fail. The wyvern had fallen into the habit of notching a bead of his personal abacus whenever the chime struck, and after twenty-four chimes—at least the ones he was consciously awake for—he would mark a line on a page in his journal. Somehow, between the flight from Darkreach and the encounter with the giant wyrm and the attack of the trolls and the entire meeting with the Spindlers, Kepler had faithfully managed to keep to this system. It wasn't perfect, and he was the first to admit such. Sleep and dramatic circumstances had prevented him from being perfectly regular with his time-keeping. Nevertheless, it gave a realistic (albeit low) estimate for how much time had passed since their arrival at Darkreach.

At that point in their journey—meandering through the winding canyon with the full universe of stars glittering high above—Kepler's page had accumulated a total of eighty-eight notches. Added to the assumed length of time it had taken to reach Darkreach from the world's edge, the Herald had come to the conclusion that Rainbow's journey had occupied the Dark Side for no less than three and a half months. They figured—at the pace they were going with the hovering wagon—that they would take several more weeks to reach the shores of the Great Ocean that Merula had told them about, and the representative of Abaddon didn't exactly telegraph hopes of the trip being a short one.

But it was all for the best. Once upon a time, Rainbow Dash invited excitement and—yes--even danger. Here, on the Dark Side, things were far different. Intense. Unpredictable. She felt anxious all the time for her fellow companions—for the safety of the Herald in general. There was so much at stake and so much to lose with any wrong move. The sterile emptiness and lack of sunlight only made the environment that much more tense and imposing.

So, for what it was worth, Rainbow Dash easily embraced the silence and nothingness that encompassed the Herald's journey. She excited herself with things that would otherwise have felt mundane to the daredevilish pegasus. She monitored Axan's dragonstone with as much attention as Kepler paid to his time-keeping. When Flynn or Wildcard sighted possible "mushrooms" along the sloped horizon, she and Ariel zoomed off to collect all the edible goods that they could. Conversations were had. Laughter was shared. Untold stories lit the air.

Turned out hiking across an apocalyptic hellscape wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded. At least for the time being.

Of course, there were times when Rainbow Dash simply couldn't contain herself. She'd alleviate the lethargy by taking flight high above the canyon and beyond. She'd always be accompanied by Ariel or Wildcard, of course. Seraphimus... stuck with the wagon. When the former Commander flew, it was always a low flight—sticking to the altitude beneath the earthen ridges flanking the dried-up river. She was silent most of the time, talking only to Logan—of all ponies—and even then it was always a muttering, uninteresting conversation necessitated by the task at hoof. She looked too loose and deadpan to be assumed as "plotting," and Rainbow felt more sad than worried whenever she gazed upon her.

So, naturally, Rainbow distracted herself with these occasional reconaissance flights—which turned out to be the high points of her "day." Flying high enough, she and Wildcard and Ariel would observe the great Curve of the plane—and the sparse patches of light that nebulously dotted the extreme lengths of the terrestrial structure. All was uniform in its dark gray dimness—save for the tiny patch of harmonic luminesence that manifested itself for Rainbow and Rainbow alone. Nevertheless, she assumed that even her winged friends could notice a slight halo of fiery glow that surrounded the site of the Armory. Somewhere far far away, the Trinary War was still being raised—fiery and bloody. Rainbow shuddered to think of the twilight skies floating above such a holocaustal scene... if it was permanently tainted with a ruby hue.

At some point, Rainbow would direct her attention to the terrain beneath her gliding wings. She discovered—one flight after another—that the landscape surrounding the ravine was mostly flat. It was like the river was carved deep into an endlessly-stretching plateau. This contrasted greatly with Merula's insistence that the landscape between Abaddon's lair and the Great Ocean was pockmarked with numerous ravines and winding fissures and little niches. Of course, it was possible that Merula had greatly understated the sheer scale of the distance between the Spindler city and regions beyond. Also, Rainbow surmised, there was no true way for a vertebrate to mentally grasp what the earth meant in spider-terms.

Nevertheless, she enjoyed those lofty surveys, even if the results proved less than remarkable. Rainbow Dash would often look in the opposite direction of their trip—towards Edgeside. She noticed that it was getting next to impossible to detect the faint glow of the solar world beyond: the Penumbral Line, as those who spent their entire lifespans here might be apt to call it. And yet, though she and the Herald had obviously traveled many-many miles to get to that spot, it was undeniably difficult to ascertain just what progress they had made on the curve. Looking back towards where they were headed, she still felt as though the location of the Midnight Armory was just as far away as she had first observed it immediately following Axan's death.

This piece of Urohringr was very very grand indeed. On the Light Side, the constant shift in landscapes—the oceans and forests and deserts and jungles—all contributed to the blatant illusion of a great distance being traversed. Here—in the naked twilight with nothing but broken rock to act as a guide—Rainbow became horrifically aware of how truly far she had come... and just how much more of it was left to cross again. She had initially hoped for the sensation to instill pride, but instead it intimidated her to the point of wanting to shrivel into a little fuzzy ball and hide forever.

With the Herald in her shadow and her close friends watching with ghostly eyes, Rainbow could only afford to move... even if it was far slower than she wanted. Nevertheless, with a stiff upper lip and even stronger wings, she carried through the motions of the day... despite the fact that the days no longer existed.

It was a unique form of exercise, and there wasn't anything that allured Rainbow more than a brand new challenge.

PreviousChapters Next