• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 14,647 Views, 13,299 Comments

Ofolrodi - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash traverses the perils of the Dark Side of the world to reach the Midnight Armory.

  • ...
24
 13,299
 14,647

PreviousChapters Next
Slow Exit: Stage Omega

"The topography of the landscape grows more and more erratic between Abaddon's home and the Great Ocean," Merula explained. Twilight glinted off the jumping spider's gold-yellow cephalothorax as it shook the silken construct tethered before it. "The Austraeoh will find no roads or paths to assist along the way. But safety can be afforded by utilizing the multiple natural ravines and fissures that permeate the earth. This is especially true when you find yourself approaching the edge of the Bloodwings' Lunar Hunt."

Rainbow Dash nodded, seated before Merula and the large tunnel weaver that the arachnid speaker was perched on. "Again... thank you so much, Merula." Rainbow Dash breathed. "And a big friggin' shout-out to Abaddon, of course." She smiled. "None of us ever expected to be given so much good grace out here. It's been a real treat. Really—it has."

"Ilrifa's gift has graced the Songstress' children with a meaningful chorus," Merula replied. "No matter how deeply the darkness spread, we have followed the lyrics with every fiber of our being." The creature's abdomen shook. "The All Mother's devotion has not led us astray."

"Is there... uhm..." Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head. Her tail flicked a her wings coiled and uncoiled anxiously. "... is there something... anything we can do to help Abaddon out? To help you guys?"

After a slight pause, Merula vibrated: "The inquiry is not entirely understood."

"I just kinda hate the idea of taking off for the wild... black yonder and leaving you guys all alone here." Rainbow grimaced. "All holed up in this dusty old city. I know you talk as though the past is behind you... but what about the future?"

"The Song is both our past and our future," Merula said. "Winter shall carry out its course."

"And after that? What then?" Rainbow's eyes narrowed. "Are you going to forever remain here? Greeting visitors from the Light Side?"

"There are no further movements of the Song," Merula said with that same emotionless tone. "The Austraeoh is all that remains."

Rainbow Dash bit her lip. "Surely there's gotta be more, Merula." A melancholic breath. "This can't be all there is for you guys. You're just... you're just too awesome to fade away into nothingness."

Merula and her multiple siblings had no immediate response.

"Abaddon... sh-she's a piece of prehistory!" Rainbow's voice cracked. "Super spectacular prehistory! She... she talked with Ilrifa! She talked to Gardez—Axan's and Endrax's parents! Please..." The petite mare's ears drooped. "...tell me she hasn't given up on hope."

After a long while, the silken construct in front of Merula shook: "Spring... Summer... Fall and Winter... the Children of Abaddon were born into darkness. All that sustains in the Song. Hope belongs to Penumbra alone. This is a good thing. For if we ever knew hope—and had a thirst for it—you would find us hard pressed to offer any of Abaddon's grace whatsoever."

Rainbow Dash blinked.

"Go forth with the blessing of harmony, Austraeoh," Merula said, eyes glistening in twilight. "Hope does not belong here. Go out, find it, and bring it back to where it belongs. Only then can you fix the broken circles."


"Rready, Flynn?"

"Ready, Keps."

"On yourr marrk."

"Stand back, ponies! No telling how big the feedback will be!"

"Give it your best, Baldy."

"Three... two... one... M'shrynmh Thymmk!!!"

FLASSSSSH! Both the chaos stones and the lunar runes along the circumference of the hovercraft lit up at once. A bright ring of glowing pale light billowed outward across the platforms of the city as the vehicle came to life.

Ariel and Logan flinched. Wildcard and Seraphimus watched cautiously.

Soon, the hovercraft was levitating—fully animated. With a victorious shout, Flynn hopped onto the front passenger's seat and shouted the moonwhinny command to accelerate the vessel forward. As it powered up, Logan and Kepler hopped on board. Ariel, Wildcard, and Seraphimus flew slowly above the craft, monitoring its movement.

Rainbow Dash watched from a safe distance. When the hovercraft first activated, she felt the ripple of chaos through her inner being. Twilight, Applejack, and her other friends briefly blinked out of the spectrum once the shimmering light pulsed her way. For a split second, Rainbow Dash spotted a smirking dragonequus. Then—as quickly as he materialized—harmony refilled the void, and her close friends were hovering spectrally by her side yet again. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie gave their anchor an enthusiastic glance.

Rainbow nodded back. With cautious wings, she flew forward, ahead of the craft, directing herself at a forty-five degree angle towards Omega. Before them, the bridges and platforms of the city led a zig-zagging path—at best—towards the outer limits of the petrified urban sprawl.

As they gained more and more altitude—leaving the spires and magnificent skyscrapers behind them—Rainbow looked back. For a moment she saw—or thought she saw—a million black eyes reflecting her figure in retreat. There was a sad note floating in the wind, like violin strings to a funeral. She felt a lump forming in the back of her throat. But—like all things—she forced it deep inward, so that it wrapped itself up in the weight of her Element.

With fewer and fewer regrets left, she signaled Wildcard and the others... then aimed herself closer to the stars.

PreviousChapters Next