• Published 2nd Dec 2016
  • 9,382 Views, 222 Comments

You're All Too Easy! - Dr Atlas



Twilight starts realizing her friend's minds are too easy to control.

  • ...
31
 222
 9,382

Last Lesson: Learn from the master

“NOT AGAAAAAAAAAIN!”

Starlight eyes darted around the library as Twilight and her friends continued causing havoc. Gilmer had tried to fix them, but the end result was Rarity rubbing Dash’s strands of hair on her face, her eyes swirling with colors, Applejack ripping apart books, Dash laying on the floor, her legs twitching, Fluttershy constantly following a pocket watch that somehow got on Pinkie’s tail, who herself was throwing baking ingredients everywhere, and Twilight who was doing her best to clean up all the mess, which wasn’t that good at all.

Spike stood next to Starlight, whose expression of utter horror stayed on her face. “Uh, Glimmer, I don’t think this is working.”

Starlight levitated more books in front of her. “I-I-I was j-just telling them to stop! H-How are they still like this.”

Spike had several answers. “Well, ya told AJ to help you find a better book, which she isn’t doing a good job at, and I have no idea what code yellow means, but Dash isn’t taking it that lightly, Rarity still has her obsession with colors, Twilight wouldn’t make a good maid, and telling Pinkie to go back to her old self only made her bake without a kitchen, and I don’t know how the hay the watch stayed on Pinkie’s tail, but Fluttershy’s still not taking her eyes off it.”

“OKAY! I GET IT!” Starlight yelled, making Spike flinched. “The spells still aren’t working right...i-if I can just get Twilight to snap out of it…”

“Snap out of what, mistress?”

Starlight yelped as Twilight invaded her personal space, her smile wider than Starlight had ever seen. “F-For Celestia’s sake, Twilight! You need to get out of this hypnosis.”

Twilight tilted her head. “What hypnosis?” She asked as her eyes swirled faster.

Glimmer’s eye twitched. “Twilight, stop being hypnotized!”

The second Glimmer uttered those words, Twilight’s eyes spun in her head, her body then convulsed and twitched, spazzing out until she fell to the floor, her legs twitching. Spike crossed his arms while Starlight’s jaw stayed dropped. “Guess it did make a paradox.” He looked up at Glimmer, seeing that she was on the verge of a mental break down. “Hey, calm down, Glimmer, it could be worse.”

“How!?” Starlight yelled. “How could it get any-”

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Both pony and dragon turned to the door, Spike asking the obvious. “Who do you think that could be?”

Starlight narrowed her eyes and started walking to the library entrance. “Who ever it is, they need to just come back later!” Once they were both at the door, Starlight swung it open and yelled out. “NOW’S NOT...a...good...time?”

Spike’s eyes widened, recognizing that mess of body parts anywhere. “Discord?”

With a smirk on his face, the draconequus waved. “Hello Spike, Starlight.”

“D-Discord!?” She looked back at the chaos inside, hoping he didn’t know what was going on. “What are you doing here?”

He smiled “I was in the neighborhood and realized that Fluttershy wasn’t home yet for our pottery lessons, so I had a feeling that after sensing massive amounts of mind control in the air I thought that you would know where she is?”

Starlight tried her best to stay calm. “W-What makes you think I know where she is?”

He chuckled. “Well, for one, you’re a friend of a friend of her’s, and two…” He pointed inside. “I’ve been feeling this all day.”

Spike stepped in. “Feeling what?”

His smile vanished as he snapped his claw, appearing right behind the both of them inside the library. “This!” He threw his arms to the current mess that was still happening. “Nothing but different types of magic and tricks and spells traveling across the air and into my head.” He shivered.

Starlight and Spiked looked at each other before looking back at Discord. “So, you knew Twilight was doing this?” Starlight asked.

“Twilight was doing what?” He asked, only to answer his own question. “Wait a minute, are you telling me she was the one who did all this?”

Glimmer smiled sheepishly. “Well, kinda, y-you see, after what happened a few days ago, Twilight started teaching her friends on how to control their minds before others do it first.”

“She’s teaching her friends about mind control.” Discord held his snout in the air, feeling a little offended. “I’m a little bit jealous that you didn’t call me to help.”

Spike scratched the back of his neck. “Well, Discord, no offence, but Twilight thought bringing you into the mix might not help us.”

Discord gasped. “I’m the master of mind manipulation. How can you not need my help?” He turned back to the mess the mares were causing. “I take it her lessons didn’t go as planed?”

Starlight stepped forward. “Long story short, Twilight went to all her friends to see if they can withstand certain types of mind magic, only for all of them to...well, stay hypnotized.” She pointed at Twilight, who was dusting the floor. “She ended up being hypnotized herself after everything.”

Discord laughed. “I must say, I’m impressed. I’ve never seen such mind numbing powers in a long time.”

Spike ran around him, trying to get Twilight on all fours. “Do you think you can help us here, Glimmer’s being trying her best, but she can’t-”

“Snap Twilight out of a simple watch swing trance?” Discord asked, receiving looks of wonder from Starlight and Spike. “What?”

Starlight stepped in front of him. “H-How do you know she’s under this kind of trick?”

Discord chuckled. “You forget who you’re talking to, Starlight.” He snapped his claw, bringing Twilight into his grasp. “Now, let’s see…” He pulled out a pair of glasses and inspected Twilight, stretching her eyes out to get a better look. “Mhhh...yes, this is the work of a watch if I’ve ever seen one. Either that or a spoon.” He closed her eyes and set her down, her body falling to the floor. “Alright, let’s look at the other mares.” He snapped a rubber glove on his claw, tearing it in the process, and lit it up, all five mares stopping what they're doing.

With a twirl of one finger, he managed to get them all in a line, their eyes to him. “Alright, from what I can tell, Applejack’s under a mind trick, Dash looks like her heart stopped.”

Hearing this made Starlight’s own heart skip a beat. “D-Did it!”

Discord tapped his chin and brought Dash closer with his magic, putting a paw on her chest. “Hmmm, I’m not sure how most organs work, but I’m pretty sure she shouldn’t be standing if there wasn’t a thump in her chest.”

“W-Why?” Starlight ran up to her, putting a hoof on her neck. “I-Is her heart…”

“Not beating?” He asked, Starlight’s blood running cold with the question. Discord just shrugged and let go of her. “I think she’s fine, the heart is a very stubborn part of the body to control, unlike the brain, which is pretty simple despite how confusing it is.” He pushed Dash away and looked at the others. “Hmmm, Fluttershy seems to be under the same trance as Twilight, Rarity has my eyes, but more vibrant, and Pinkie seems to be under the same kind of magic her bug friend has.” He pulled out a notebook and quill, writing all this down. “Quite the variety, if I do say so myself.”

Starlight started fidgeting. “So, do you know how to fix this?”

Discord looked over his notes, which were nothing but doodles of Twilight and her friends. He tossed this over his shoulders, a small explosion happening on impact. “Oh, don’t worry Glimmer, I have just the thing to take their minds off of this whole ‘hypnosis’ thing.”

Starlight’s jaw dropped, never thinking that he, over everyone else, would be able to fix this mess. “Y-You do?”

Spike glared at him. “It better not involve them turning into jerks.”

Discord laughed. “Like I’d try that again. No, dear Spike, I have something that I’ve used many a time where I needed to fix a problem." With a snap of his claw, Discord brought out a strange device that was about the size of a pen. “Behold, an item so powerful that it shouldn’t even be in my claws right now.”

“Then why is it in your claws?” Starlight asked.

Discord held up the object to his eyes. “Not sure, probably because I’ve kept this hidden for many a millennia from other ponies, luckily, all of you won’t remember anything once I use this.”

Spike tilted his head. “Why, does it flash a bright light or something?”

Discord shook his head, smiling. “Watch and learn, Spike. Watch. And. Learn” Using his thumb, he pushed the button on the back of the pen shaped object, a red dot appearing in the middle of the room.

All mares froze and turned to the dot, Twilight getting up off the floor and doing the same. Even Starlight looked at it in fascination. “Wh-What’s that?” Starlight asked.

Discord didn’t say anything, he simply craned his wrist to the right, the dot going the same direction, along with every mare’s head. Each eye followed the dot, not a single one tearing away from its sight.

Spike was both confused and scared seeing his friends act like this. “Uh...Discord, what is that?”

“This, my dear Spike, is a laser pointer. A device my mother used to entertain herself when she was bored. This thing keeps ponies occupied for hours, even days.” Discord made the dot travel up to the front of Pinkie’s hooves. She gasped and slammed her hoof on top of it, only to find out it was still there.

Discord snickered. “I’d use a ring of keys and jingle them in front of their faces, but that strains the ears.” He did the same thing to Dash, only for her to pounce on it, but the dot was far too fast as it traveled to the other side of the room.

Before long, all mares were trying their hardest to get the dot by any means necessary. Applejack used her hat most of the times while Rainbow Dash dashed for it, Twilight lowered her body to the floor and followed it with precision, Fluttershy doing the same.

Pinkie seemed the most interested in it as she skidded across the room, never standing farther than three inches away from it. Rarity’s eyes seemed to go wide the whole time, her irises going bigger or smaller depending on how far away the dot was. As for Starlight, she teleported in front of the dot every time it moved, only for it to change direction before she could grab it.

All the while, Discord laughed with every motion they made, Spike trying not to do the same. “H-Hey now, this isn’t right, Discord”

He put his paw to his hips while his claw continued moving the dot around. “Oh, so she can cast a mind spell on all your friends, but Eris forbid I do it again.”

Spike looked back at them, seeing that their eyes were somewhat back to normal. “So, are they out of their hypnosis now?”

“Let's find out.” Discord pushed the button again, all mares stopping whatever they were doing and either holding head, shaking and shivering, or landing face down on the floor. Starlight was the first to speak. “Ugh...w-what the...what happened?”

Discord held his head high. “I managed to save your minds from utter control.” He held up his claw and paw. “No applauses are needed.”

“Wait...DISCORD!?” Twilight ran up to him, not believing him for a second. “T-That’s a downright li..w-wait, what are you doing here? NO! A-A better question to ask is why I can’t remember a thing after-” Twilight then looked down at herself. “W-Why am I in a maids outfit!?!?”

“Twilight…” Starlight interrupted. “Um, one: the reason why you're in one is because your just as easy as your friend, and two: He’s...kinda telling the truth, I mean, look at everypony.” Twilight turned to her friends, seeing all of them were out of their trance, all eyes no longer swirling, or different sizes.

Dash held her head, feeling this same pain in her head a few days ago. “Oh for...I knew this was gonna happen! Why did I agree to this stupid…”

“Dash…” Rarity looked down at her hooves. “W-Why do I have strands of your hair on me?”

AJ had questions as well. “And wha the hay can’t I remember anythang besides Twi tellin’ me to toss a hat?”

“And why’s all my ingredients on the floor?” Pinkie scratched her batter covered head. “Did me and Doomie have fun last night again?” She looked at her tail. “And what’s with the watch?”

Fluttershy took hold of the watch before Pinkie could do anything with it, she then raised her hoof in the air and slammed it on the ground, the thing smashing into pieces after doing so, she breathed in and out and looked at everyone else, noticing the concerned looks. “Never...again…” She said, trying her hardest to catch her breath.

After listening to all of them, Twilight turned back to Discord. “B-But how did you help? I thought I...I mean, I think I di-”

Discord laughed. “All you did when I got here was run around and dust everything, I must say though, Twilight. I am rather impressed that you managed to control all your friends, not only that, but do it differently every time!”

Hearing this again, Twilight sat down and flopped her ears, realizing all of this had been for nothing. “So, we’re still easy to control? E-Even after everything I did to help?”

Spike had to point this out. “Uh, Twilight, you didn’t really ‘help’. You just ran around and did spells on your friends in hopes that they would be resistant to it.”

Discord crossed his arms and turned away. “I still don’t see why you didn’t come to me for help, if there’s one thing I know, besides causing chaos, is messing with minds, and I know just the trick to help them-”

“NO TRICKS!” Twilight yelled, making him flinch and turn back. “I’m not using any kind of-” She looked at herself again, realizing she was still in a maids outfit. She lit up her horn and teleported it away, looking up at Discord again. “Any kind of spell or trick or magic to help them. I know they can do this on their own.”

Discord shook his head. “If you want to do it the hard way, then go ahead.” He turned away again and made his way to the door. “Now, If you want more lessons on mind control, hypnosis, or mind tricks...give me a call.” With that, he shut the door, leaving Twilight and the others to themselves.

Starlight then noticed the mess that had been caused through all of this. “Well, uh, Twilight, I think we should all take a break from this mind control stuff and clean this place up.”

Twilight sighed, knowing she was right. “I guess you're right, my heads starting to hurt too. Spike! Can you...wait, where’s Spike?” All mares looked around the room, not seeing any indication of a purple dragon.

Meanwhile, Discord was just about to snap his claw to go home, but something small, purple, and green stopped him by climbing up to eye level. “Hey, uh, Discord, can I ask you something?”

Discord raised an eye. “If it involves how you were resistant to the pen, then I can tell you that only ponies can be effected by it.”

“It’s not that...well, thanks for explaining me, b-but it’s something else” Spike looked back at the library door, hoping no one heard them. “Um, you don’t mind if I just...take this off your paw, do you?” He pointed at the laser pointer, smiling.

Discord held up the pen, thinking about this. “You want me to give you, a small, baby drake, an object that can control any type of equine in Equestria?”

Spike started sweating. “Uh, yeah, kinda.”

Discord thought long and hard about this for two seconds before coming up with an obvious answer. “Eh, okay, but be warned." He went face to face with him, his eyes glowing and the background darkening. “For if this ancient relic were to be used for catastrophic causes, the consequences will be dire.”

Spike blinked. “So...do it when I’m bored?”

Discord smiled and held up the pointer. “Bingo.” He handed it over to him without a care in the world. “Just make sure it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands, blah blah blah. I’ll be in my shower.”

Spike was rather surprised he did this. “You’re just giving this to me?”

Discord already put a towel on. “I have plenty more at home, now, if you’ll excuse me.” He snapped his claw and got out of the room, making Spike fall to the floor.

He got up and looked at the laser pointer in aw, thinking of all the possibilities he could do with this. He was about to do an evil snicker to end it, but the library doors opening made him quickly hold the pointer behind his back. “Spike, there you are.” Twilight opened the door wider, showing her friends cleaning up. “We could really use a hoof, or claw, to help in here. Do you mind?”

Spike had many thoughts swimming through his head, part of him wanted to use it on her to get out of the mess, another part told him it would be wrong to use it to skip out on helping, another part of him realized this type of power shouldn’t be in his claws while another part told him to destroy it. In the end, Spike sighed and put the laser where his quill and paper were and made his way inside. “Okay, Twilight.”

Twilight smiled. “Thank’s Spike, maybe after all this you can help with a few other things, I know that these books might need some organizing and I will need some help with more mind magic, and I don’t know how the hay so much dust got anywhere but maybe we...can…” She stopped talking the second she noticed a dot on the floor, her eyes not looking away. Spike just smirked as he held it steady, knowing he needed this.

“Thank you, Discord.”

Author's Note:


Thanks for reading.
And be on the look out for my 800 follower millstone story coming soon
The only hint I can give is that it has to deal with an object more powerful than a laser pointer that will fly through ponyville, changing the personalities of anyone who touches it.

Comments ( 33 )

Yes, mwa-ha-ha! All hail Spike! :moustache: (Why are there not more Spike emoticons?) Great ending to the story, though too bad it seems like Twilight still hasn't learned her lesson. At least the next time she decides to experiment on her friends Spike will be able to distract her. Though given how crazy Twilight and Starlight can get, Spike is probably going to be using that tool a lot. Its all for the good of Equestria of course. Wonder if that would work on the princesses too, hm.

Was kind of expecting a reveal of some sort. Instead it's just Discord ex Machina.

And thus we learn that Ponies are like cat's when it comes to small red dot's, and now spike has the power to take over Equestria :moustache:

consequences will be dier

Think you meant dire.

Seriously, this is one Hasbro should make into an episode. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Another story coming, eh? Niiiice.:D

The only hint I can give is that it has to deal with an object more powerful than a laser pointer that will fly through ponyville, changing the personalities of anyone who touches it.

Is this particular object from the show Ed, Edd, and Eddy? And is it also an object that returns to the user once thrown? Because if it is I really want to read that story!

Great story. However, you really need to work on the "you're/your" issue.

If only such tricks worked on cats!
Keep going! ;)

7789941 I found that it works on dogs more.

Hmm...changing the personalities of anyone who touches it...

:pinkiegasp:

4chan!! :fluttershbad:

all of you won’t remember anything once I use this.”
Spike tilted his head. “Why, does it flash a bright light or something?”

And here I thought that it was going to be a reference to Men In Black 1 & 2

7789614
I would love to see that happen with the princesses, and I think Spike's going to use it irresponsibly and use it whenever Twilight is ordering or rambling on

How would Twilight not make a good maid? Her OCD would make her perfect for it!

I hate the 'where am I?' cliche with every fiber of my being. It just killed my enjoyment of the entire fic.

Awww, I wanted it to keep going...

This story would be a lot more readable if it wasn't for all the typos.
It also would've been nice to get informed that this story shared elements with a story I didn't read, even if it could be said that I didn't need to read it in order to understand this story.

“T-That’s a downright li..w-wait, what are you doing here? NO! A-A better question to ask is why I can’t remember a thing after-” Twilight then looked down at herself. “W-Why am I in a maids outfit!?!?”

The last question isn't that important...
But if you really want to know: Because why not?

Also: Ponies are partly cats confirmed!

7790447 Fluttershy smashed the watch, which indicate she remembers just fine, so your argument is only half-valid.

Blah Blah Blah...

Okay that image of Twilight & the laser pointer is just GREAT! <3

Thought it was a neuralizer. This is funnier though

A laser pointer?

Meh. Seems legit.

Ok, that explains the Razzle-dazzle song.

1) Put the ponies into a suggestible state.
2) Tell them they've watched a wonderful show.
3) ?
4) Profit!

This story was amusing for the first few chapters. I was willing to forgive the repetitive nature because each form of mind control was different, had fun results, and some had interesting ideas behind them. My problem with the story is the lack of payoff at the end.

The final chapter comes out of nowhere, which would be fine if the earlier sections suggested randomness, but there was a logical flow to Twilight's actions, even if the outcomes were unpredictable at times. The introduction of Discord itself is no problem, as he was hinted at in previous chapters, and is tagged in the story. It is what he does that seems so out of place. Yes, Discord is chaotic, but the previous gags seemed to flow together well in the earlier chapters. They built upon each other and seemed to be building toward something. For this reason, I expected something more meaningful, but, instead, the last two chapters seem lackluster. We have what, I assume, are references to other stories (Code Yellow?), Discord ex machina-pointer, and Spike suddenly taking a dark turn with no real build up or explanation.

The ending basically amounts to ponies are like cats when exposed to a laser pointer. I would think this idea could be presented in fewer chapters if it was all you were going for. If this was a shorter story, with themes of randomness throughout, I probably would have found it enjoyable. The punchline would match up with the rest of the joke.

TL;DR - This idea had a lot of promise for some clever gags, and you did make some good jokes. I just wish the ending had pulled it all together.

I still want to know what "Code Yellow" is

I'm concerned becasue according to my library you updated a chapter and didn't at the same time.

And wha the hay can’t I remember anythang besides Twi tellin’ me to toss a hat

Ah
_____________

In the end, Spike sighed and put the laser where his quill and paper were and made his way inside.

Fucking hammerspace?

This flying object wouldn't happen to be a boomerang right? :ajsmug:

Comment posted by Aether Spark deleted Oct 15th, 2018

May I have that laser pointer?

Login or register to comment