• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 1,984 Views, 138 Comments

What's In The Box? - naturalbornderpy



Pinkie Pie sits alone in a room with an unopened box. What's in the box, you ask? Only everything.

  • ...
4
 138
 1,984

?????

HUMAN CONT.

—faced the Author again, a quizzical expression on her face. “Did we just skip into the next chapter?”

The author nodded. “We did. I’m still keeping this story at exactly three hundred words, but that doesn’t mean I’m about to restart it.”

“Okay, then.” Random tapped at her chin. “Thriller Pinkie might also need some help. I know she has a few bumps and bruises that could be removed.”

Again, the Author tapped at his keyboard.

Thriller Pinkie’s bumps and bruises disappeared as if deleted or erased.

The Author held up both hands. “Anything else? Can I go now?”

Random cocked a brow. “Whaddya talking about? We escaped your story. We live here now.”

***

An hour later, the Author left his bedroom to see how the Pinkies were settling in. Four Pinkies sat on the couch together in the living room, crammed in front of the TV like fluffy pink marshmallows. Inside the kitchen, Comedy was attempting to raise Tragedy’s spirits by baking together. (The Author had given her back her ability to taste awhile ago.)

By then Romance and Random had already left the house together, intent on grabbing lunch somewhere close. Meanwhile, Adventure and Sci-Fi roamed the condo's vast parking lot in search of either adventure or scrap metal to use toward a spaceship.

Slice of Life sat by the windowsill, staring at a leaf caught in the breeze. Thriller spent her time in the computer room, typing away at the novel she just knew would do well once complete.

Mystery Pinkie was… actually, the Author had no idea where Mystery ended up.

Which left Sombra standing by his side, staring daggers at each newfound Pinkie.

“Where’s the takeout, Steve?”

The Author pointed at it. “In that unopened box.”

Author's Note:

So this was another story on the backburner for some time. Started with a random character alone in a room with a box... and then ended up here.

Don't know if I can get much weirder than this, but I'll sure try! :pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 65 )

Ah, the vicissitudes of having a diverse fanbase ...

I only read Dark, Horror, Sad, and Tragedy XD

It's OK, no one's looking. You can punch me now.

Looking at the Title and description reminded me of this:

(Also reading it right now)

...

Well, that happened.

Interesting. They’re like little fic intros that originate from the same premise, but deviate into their own paths.

Edit: And then connect back together. Cool.

This was the best kind of stupid.

Now they're forever trapped in the last chapter. Now that the story is done, nothing can happen. So, I have a couple of questions.

What happens to horror now?

What about the anthro and 2nd person chapters?

And if I read the same thing over and over again, will they be stuck in a time loop?

Anyways, I enjoyed this story. Fun read right here!

Didn't read it yet (saved for later), but all I could think of from the title was this:

Is... is this canon to Sombra the highly unmotivated's timeline?
Celestia I hope so.

Eh?

Well...

As a style exercise, it was interesting, I guess?

And this...

Getting some Stanley Parable vibes from this. I've never seen anything quite like it before. Well done. :pinkiehappy:

I love a good multiverse story.:pinkiehappy: And I agree with Doom Trot, I was definitely feeling a bit of 'Stanley Parable', as I read it. But am I wrong to think there was a little nod to 'Green Mile', in how you went about it?
The challenge to yourself, limiting each chapter to exactly 300 words must have been brutal.
Color me impressed.

I like this story. But what happened to Crossover? :pinkiegasp:

This story is so meta! Wait, isn't that against the rules? Hm..

Great story.
Author, you should have written yourself into a 2nd Person Mature Crossover orgy between Anthro Pinkie Pie and Equestria Girls Pinkie pie.

Holy Hercules!

All of the chapters are exactly 300 words!

7719003 Yep. Editing was fun. :applecry:

7718983
7718649 As Random says at one point, the Author was choosing which genres he wanted to cover. To protect his ""image", he left out a few: anthro, crossover, EQ girls, anything sexual.

7718213 I've (of course) read the Green Mile, but I wasn't thinking of it while writing. Never heard of the Stanley Parable until now. I suck at video games.

300 words is almost fun -- in a painful way. It makes you look at what REALLY matters in a chapter while cutting the fat. :raritydespair:

7717881 Thanks for saying so! :pinkiehappy:

7717473 Sure, why not? Poor Sombra, though. There goes his couch/bed for all eternity. :fluttershysad:

7717409 "Huh" -- most people's reaction to my stuff. Followed by -- "This kid's eleven, right?"

7717393 Horror is either trapped in the unfinished story or deleted entirely. Anthro and other tags were omitted because I just didn't want to write about them. Not my bag. And, yes, if you read the story again, it would loop over and over again.

7717390 Maybe not my stupidest, but definitely my weirdest. :rainbowderp:

7717367 Just trying to keep things interesting. Doesn't mean they'll all work. Or even half of them. Btw, do you read all of my stuff? Even the crap? :rainbowhuh:

7717351 Vicissitudes? Time to look up a new word! :twilightsheepish:

Honestly, this story only works if you read it in order. Or at least from chapter 4 onward. I'm surprised so many people actually read it to the end.

7719288

ye

Ye. (Missing a period and capital letter.)

Oh! :yay: How does it feel to be corrected for once!? Ahhahahahahahahahah!

7719768 I hereby invoke the Law That None of KingMoriarty's Victims Have Ever Invoked:

That was deliberate.

Ah, the great, yet subtle mystery. Boy can this be vexing, even for the kindest of beings.

This was a wonderful read. Sometimes the best work comes from a strict structure.

Alright, I'll read them. If for no other reason than that you actually wrote 20 chapters of exactly 300 words each.

The title of this fanfic reminded me of Angelos from Shooting Stars...

I'm not sure what just happened, but I think I liked it.

wait, where did sombra come from?

That was a fun and enjoyable read, thank you!

7721774
Scrollin down the comments and all i see is lunarderpy1 commenting on every chapter

7721943 not every chapter... just the majority of them.

7721923 Glad you enjoyed the randomness. :twilightsmile:

7721774 The Author is basically me. Steve from my story "Sombra the Highly Unmotivated" is also basically me. In that story, he lives with Sombra, who shot out of his toaster for some reason. :applejackconfused:

7721760 Second grin.

7721513 You sound like all my one night stands. :ajsmug: Kidding. I have two night stands. They hold my alarm clock and lamps.

7720244 I like getting weird once in a while. :eeyup: Keeps the blood pumping.

7722201 out of a toaster... he has the magical ability to make toast appear out of thin air.

7722349 horror pinkie is the best pinkie. i never said she was a villian, she is the good guy. right?:pinkiehappy:

This was really clever and well done. I only wish Horror had been properly dealt with instead of being written out silently. The ending is basically a deus ex machina, but it would have had a stronger payoff with the resolution of that conflict. Still, kudos and props for an enjoyable story with a strong hook.

7722420 It was really one of those stories that's been on the mind for so long, I just wanted it done so I'd stop thinking about it. It's far from perfect, but at least I can move on now. :moustache:

Regardless, thanks for reaching the end!

Ok, that was pretty amazing. It's not often that you find someone who can pull off something quite this meta, and it really worked! (Although it took me way too long to realize that you were working through the genres)
And while the ending may or may not have been a bit deus ex machina, wasn't that kind of the point? I really loved it, keep up the good work!
(Also, it greatly amuses me that each chapter has right around 300 views)

...my brain hurts. Could be worse, though. You've got thirteen versions of Pinkie Pie living in your house.

7723362 Thanks for the kind words. :twilightsmile: I don't write clop. I don't write romance. But I do write some pretty weird stuff from time to time. And it's nice hearing others like getting weird, too.

What's in the box...?

That was a strange and delightful journey. Thank you very much for it. :twilightsmile:

I liked the concept. Too random for my taste but interesting in its development. For a moment I thought this happened inside Pinkie's mind.

That was an absolutely brilliant concept, and it was perfectly executed!

7731509
7730118 Glad you both enjoyed it. :twilightsmile: Thanks for reading!

I hope you enjoyed writing this as much as I enjoyed reading it :pinkiehappy:

Is it just me or was this whole story kind of random?

(:pinkiehappy::pinkiesmile::pinkiehappy:)

7733040 By the end it was fun. Not so much the beginning. Glad you liked it! :pinkiehappy:

7733512 No, I believe it made perfect sense the entire way through. :pinkiecrazy:

Login or register to comment