• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 50,592 Views, 1,935 Comments

Exchange - getmeouttahere



Ponyville's resident human attempts to adjust to living with Celestia as his roommate while also avoiding Princess Twilight's crazy romantic overtures.

Comments ( 307 )

I always imagined Nostalgia Critic, or Doug Walker, as Anon.

I thought that it would be a lot funnier and it was. :eeyup:

F^CK YEAH, SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! :flutterrage:

Neat little tid bit here.

I have to wonder what we can expect from you in the future however.

Lab
Lab #3 · May 28th, 2014 · · ·

Well, this was a lovely little addition.

Awwwwww, no more of this fic? No sequal? there is now a great sadness in my heart!!

I'd probably say the book would be in the science fantasy genre

I'm sure the Concordia is an important ship from history, but when I read the name the only thing I can think of is Wing Commander 2.

I'm pretty sure that makes me a huge nerd.

Like the others have said, thank you for these extra vignettes.

This was enjoyable.

There has always been a reason why I liked your stories.

If you truely wish to retire, know that you are doing so with an excellent legacy behind you.

You make us laugh, you make us cry. You make us enjoy what we're reading, content with this for a short moment. Thank you again for a wonderful read.

Very nicely done! I still hold out hope for a chapter covering each of the Elements and the day/time they decide what to do with their Orbs after they get back from the trip.:pinkiesmile:

No sequel? But. You can't do this to me. ;-; When I first started reading this I developed a -need- to finish it. Then when I finished, I -had- to have more. It wasn't even an addiction, it was just like a necessity. Like the world would stop if the story did.

Why you gotta do this thing?

That aside. I like this take on Discord. ... It brings tears to my eyes in the same way that Ice King's history as Simon Petrikov does.

It's sad that there will be no more stories from you:ajsleepy:. I could only hope for one day in which you sit down and write another story, and until then, brohoof /)*(\:fluttercry:

I... I... I think I might love you XD Seriously though great work! I'm always sad when a story ends but then I feel happy that everything is as it should be. I then feel content. If you're retiring I wish you the best of luck and never forget your experiences here. You made beautiful art that many appreciated that you should be proud of. ~Req out

I'm sad that this fic is ending... But happy with the way it did.

In whatever you move on to do -- be it more stories here or traveling the stars -- may the wind and sun be always at your back.

Good luck, and have fun.

4463090

I feel the same......how DO we keep finding each other like this -.-?

4461498 It is needed because the best stories have three parts.

A beginning to hook you in.
A middle to keep you entertained.
An ending to leave you as if you went through it with the characters.

It is the reason why most fics fail. They don't know when to end. This one ended where it needed to.

4463335

Perfectly by the book. And yet there are many stories that I feel utterly frustrated with because I didn't get to continue along with the characters I grew so fond of and invested in. Surely you know what that's like.

Dan

For the old Science Fiction vs. Fantasy debate, remember Clarke's 3rd Law.

4463384

Oh trust me I do.

The blessing of fanfiction is that you already know about the characters that you are reading about at the same time. Usually this makes the story shorter which makes Exchange so special. We know the characters and it makes the story longer.

Oh of course that empty feeling you get after reading so much is the reason I read stories such as these. It is awesome. What is Love? is a good-and-different story between a human and Cadance (by Littlebigpony I think) if you want a funny romance series, (this one is without action).

Exchange is two-times longer than the Hobbit actually. 205,602 (Exchange) vs. ~95356 (Hobbit), and is longer than ANY of the single sections of Lord of The Rings.

Well done as always getmeouttahere.

I realize that this fic ended perfectly but I still can't get enough of these little add-ons! Easily the best 'Anon in Equestria' story in existence.

You keep referencing the wedding in these short-stories... but are you actually gonna write the wedding at some point? I'm sure we'd all love to read it.

4460596
You're welcome. It was a pleasure to write for you guys.

4464634
I... don't know how I feel now that I know this information. W-What have I been doing with my life...? :facehoof:

4464903
Unfortunately, no, it won't be written. The wedding's one of those things that's alluded to but never shown. Just looking at the attendee list and clues provided in the main story (spoilered below), you can probably piece together how it went down in your imagination.

Anon
- Is about to marry a horse
- Tends to freak out under stress
- Has the Dawn Star II available at the time (and it survives to later crash in the ocean due to a malfunction)
- Is a conduit for Progenitor magic due to not having any magic of his own
- Later describes the wedding as "insane"

Celestia
- Loves her human
- Cake fiend (No expense was spared on the wedding cake)
- Claims to have a "multitude of enemies" [I wonder who'll show up uninvited...]
- Optimistic about most things, but always has a backup plan just in case

Luna
- Is sometimes a superbitch / doesn't give a fuck
- Nobles don't like her
- Very playful & loves a good fight
- Has questionable hobbies
- Huge Fluttershy fan (Fluttershy is scared to death of her)

Mystery Guest #1: Discord
- God of Chaos
- May or may not be running around "loose" with his full power
- Loves to tease his little sisters
- Celestia's promised to severely punish him if he messes up the wedding

Mystery Guest #2: Agamemnon
- May or may not be in attendance
- Gigantic Ancient Dragon said to be the size of a skyscraper
- Grumpy, but ultimately good natured
- Effectively invulnerable to most weapons and magic

Twilight [& Friends]
- It's Twilight
- Has good intentions and is eager to help [Uh oh...]
- Her friends will either serve to mellow her out, or go along with / amplify whatever she's doing
- CMC are there too (Odds of them doing something stupid: 1000%)

So, yeah... the story pretty much tells itself from there.

4465834 you go out and continue to write something. Assuming you still wanna write, it's 6am here and I haven't slept so I can't remember if you wanna write still.

Not pony of course. Just as I myself do not write Left4Dead or Pokemon anymore, you shall go onto other things.

You've achieved something that most writers can't accomplish. You have made a story that is over 100k words work without being too obscure. Apart from you and Fallout Equestria I don't recall a solid unique story last as long without fucking up somehow.

So good luck. Get outta here and know that you beat Tolkien in a single story novel twice-over. That is a feat few of us will ever accomplish.

This newest chappy made my day!

Will there be anymore or is this the end? :fluttershysad:

4466836
That's the end. Glad you liked it.

Now I can use my free time to start going through my backlog of stories to read, which just so happens to include most of yours!

4466990

Yay!

Make sure to tell me what you think, I love some good ol' criticism :pinkiehappy:

4460923
Concordia was that ship that tipped over in Italy back in 2012.

Really loved this tale, had trouble getting in to it at the beginning but as the words went by I was hooked, great writing and cool pacing. All I got to say is now I really want to know what happened to the six on there trials run. Great job and thanks for your work.

Secret twist ending: the child turns out to be a reverse centaur.

fails.net/fails/kid-with-horse-mask.jpg

They both promptly undergo a combination of magical and surgical sterilization.

4470396

You mean like a Tikbalang?

My take on their offspring would be something like the pink haired girl on this vid.

I actually got a bit of an Exchange vibe from the vid too, seeing as there are airships and ruins from an advanced civilization that collapsed.

4470453
Leave it to mythology to have already thought of everything millennia before us.

actually got a bit of an Exchange vibe from the vid too, seeing as there are airships and ruins from an advanced civilization that collapsed.

I was going to say as much, myself. :rainbowlaugh:

This was definitely a nice bonus. Although it still didn't answer my biggest qustion. Where the buck was Spike through the entire ordeal?!

Ah well, guess that, like the wedding, will be left to the imagination.


Tale four was my favorite, by the way.

4470396
As bad as that is, nothing tops the reverse mermaid. Amazing how one little change flips something super sexy into something utterly horrifying!

4471848
It's buried somewhere in the comments, but Spike was chilling in Canterlot for most of the story getting pampered by the castle staff. He knows better than to get caught up in Twilight's antics when she gets crazy.

That was fucking awesome. Liked and faved.

Seriously, this is easily one of the best fanfics I've ever read in here. No grammar mistakes whatsoever (no matter how good the plot is, it absolutely kills me when an author, a supposed writer, can't tell the difference between your and you're.)

And the plot was pretty damn good too. Really ironic, considering the very 4chan-esque story. :rainbowlaugh: Or not? Some pretty damn funny things came out of 4chan.

Amazing, simply an amazing piece of work. I'm honestly jealous of this story. It caused me to feel so many emotions, I was genuinely angry at times and even afraid for Anon other times. I laughed, I leaked a salty fluid from my eyes. (Tears I believe, odd name considering I wasn't ripped or otherwise damaged at the time. :trollestia: )

The reader in me wishes to see more simply for the chance to lose myself within such an amazing story.

The author in me feels an immense happiness over the fact you managed to end your story on such a satisfying note. I hope that my stories can one day stand next to yours. ( I can dream at least. :rainbowlaugh: )

Liked, favorited, and if you decide to return to writing, I promise I will read it. I hope you enjoy your retirement. :twilightsmile:

Im touched.
Your writing always manages to wring some feels from my blackened heart.
This is one of if not my favorite story here on FIM.
Thank you for writing something so amazing and sharing it with all of us.

I was sold on this story the very moment i saw the nicknames he had for ponies.
Autismo is SUCH a spot on for Twilight. :rainbowwild::rainbowlaugh:

Overall this is my favorite "complete" stories. I'm a Luna guy but this story tugs my heart as much as my favorite story incomplete or not "Bonding with the moon" I advise reading both if you suggestions for me please let me know

The .epub file is messed up.

4534237
What type of device are you trying to read it on? I just did a quick run through of it on a Kindle Paperwhite and it seems to be OK aside from the missing author's note in the last chapter (but I'm guessing that's by design). There's not really a lot of complex formatting in the story.

4534445
I've tried to read it on my iphone and my nook, its missing a large portion of chapter 9 and parts of a few other scenes from what i've seen.

Login or register to comment