• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 29,400 Views, 438 Comments

Bonafide - Sharp Spark



Bon Bon and Lyra's life together in Ponyville was perfect - and then Bon Bon showed up.

  • ...
34
 438
 29,400

Epilogue

It was an idyllic day at Canter Candies. A mother and her energetic young colt wandered around, browsing the jars of hard candies, peppermints, and lollipops, while a contemplative stallion sized up the heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. Lyra sat on a stool by the window, plucking out a simple, sprightly melody that put a bounce in Bon Bon’s step.

“I can’t thank you enough,” Cheerilee said. She nudged the filly at her side.

“Yeth, Mith Bon Bon,” Twist said. “I promith I’ll be a big help.”

“Oh, of course!” Bon Bon said. “I was just saying to Lyra that I could really use another set of hooves around here.” She sighed. “She offered to help, of course, but she always forgets to not use magic and the candies come out tasting horrible.”

“I-I’m not very good at anything other than pepperminth,” Twist admitted.

Bon Bon reached over with a hoof to fluff Twist’s mane. “Don’t worry about that. It just takes practice! It took me an embarrassingly long time to make something that anypony other than Lyra would try.”

Twist’s eyes grew large. “Really? But your cutie mark…”

A wan smile crossed Bon Bon’s face. “Er. Yes. You would be surprised. The important thing is being willing to work hard and keep trying.”

Cheerilee frowned very slightly, her sharp eyes picking up on something. “Are you sure this is a good time, Bon Bon? Is everything okay?”

“Oh, yes! I’ve just had… a stressful couple of days. Life is full of surprises, you know?” Bon Bon’s eyes drifted over to Lyra. “Sometimes big decisions come your way and it’s hard to know how exactly to handle them.”

“Like wedding planning?” Cheerilee raised a hoof to stifle a giggle as Bon Bon’s mouth fell open. “I overheard a little songbird talking about you and Lyra meeting with Rarity yesterday, looking at white dresses.”

Bon Bon blushed. “That… too. We haven’t exactly made it public yet.”

Cheerilee nodded. “Well, your secret is safe with—”

The door to the shop slammed open, causing Lyra’s hooves to fumble and the melody suddenly fall short. Everypony turned to the door to see the intruder.

A second Bon Bon smirked as she marched in, her eyes sweeping across the room.

After a moment, her head jerked to look back outside. She growled and trotted out, returning to shove a very miffed Twilight Sparkle through the door, with Spike following close behind.

“I’m going, I’m going!” Twilight said. She frowned sternly as she looked at the impatient Bon Bon. “I still don’t think this is necessary. I’m sure you’re mistaken.”

“Uh… Twilight…” Spike piped up, pointing one claw forward.

Twilight turned and saw the other Bon Bon, still behind the counter next to Twist and Cheerilee. She was standing as rigid as a statue, her face pale white.

“Aha!” Bon Bon said. “You may have been able to fool these village simpletons, but now you will receive your comeuppance, imposter!”

She strode forward dramatically, pausing to knock a lollipop out of the hoof of the young colt who was staring at her open-mouthed. His mother gave her a dirty look. “This changeling scum has infiltrated your town and even now is probably plotting to poison you and your children. Your thanks are not necessary, citizen.”

Lyra finally found her mouth working again. “Get out!” she shouted, rising to her hooves and shaking with anger.

“Nuh uh uh,” Bon Bon said. “Not until the Princess here has taken care of the changeling.”

Twilight Sparkle blinked. “T-this is highly unconventional. Normally we need a written request filed for any claims of identity theft and—”

“Who cares?” Bon Bon said. “Paperwork’s stupid. Get on with it, Princess.”

Twilight’s eyes flared, but she took a deep breath. “Fine. I do know a spell for such an occasion.”

The intruding Bon Bon just smirked.

As Twilight’s horn lit up, Twist and Cheerilee both stepped in front of the original Bon Bon.

“You can’t!” Twist said.

“Twilight,” Cheerilee chimed in, “hold on a moment. Let’s not do anything rash.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Oh, no, I’m not going to hurt her. I promise! I know a spell that reveals whether a pony is a changeling or not. That’s all.”

“And when she is shown to be a fraud, then we can talk about whether to throw her into a dungeon or just exile her on the spot,” Bon Bon said, grinning.

“Shush you,” Twilight said. She motioned with her head and Twist and Cheerilee very hesitantly stepped away.

A beam of light burst forth from Twilight’s horn, wrapping around the Bon Bon behind the counter and enveloping her in a shroud of white. The dazzling light slowly changed colors to become a pale green.

“See? Now—” The smirking Bon Bon stopped, noticing Twilight’s horn still glowing. “What are you doing? Stop it.”

Twilight shot a second beam of light, striking the other Bon Bon squarely in the chest. Another field of white blossomed around her, before sharpening into a bright, blazing red.

A few murmurs broke out from the other ponies in the store as they stared at the furious Bon Bon enveloped in a menacing red aura. The mother grabbed the colt and interposed herself between that Bon Bon and her son.

“What kind of trick are you trying to pull?” Bon Bon snapped.

Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “I think that you should leave.”

“What!?”

“I think you should leave Ponyville,” Twilight said. “And I would appreciate it if you would refrain from returning.”

“You can’t be serious! This is an outrage! I am outraged!”

Bon Bon’s eyes widened as she looked around the room for support. Lyra was practically vibrating with anger. Cheerilee and Twist had once again stepped in front of the other Bon Bon. The lone stallion stepped forward, a serious frown on his face as he towered menacingly over her.

“F-fine! I’ve had enough of this stupid town and you stupid ponies!” Bon Bon screamed, turning to gallop out of the shop.

Twilight sighed. She looked up with a smile as Lyra rushed over to give Bon Bon a tight hug. “I’m terribly sorry about all that, Bon Bon. She burst into the library and wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

Bon Bon still looked pale. “T-thank you, your majesty.”

“Um.”

Twilight looked down to see Spike frowning. “Twilight, isn’t… isn’t your changeling detection spell normally green for changeling and red for pony?”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed as they moved to meet Lyra’s, looking for something. Lyra just squeezed Bon Bon tighter, glaring back fiercely.

Twilight nodded slightly. “Yes, Spike. However, she was also quite possibly the rudest pony I’ve ever met.” She smiled at Bon Bon. “Whereas I’ve known Bon Bon for years, and she’s a good pony who can always be counted on to be friendly and willing to help out others.” Twilight’s brow eyebrows furrowed as a thought of the other Bon Bon crossed her mind. “Besides, she called Form 247-D9 stupid! The nerve.”

Everypony in the shop seemed to be staring at Bon Bon while also trying not to meet her eyes.

“I do have a question for you, though, Bon—” Twilight paused, looking a little guilty. “Well, I suppose I should ask. Is it Bon Bon? Or would you prefer something else?”

“...W-windy is fine…”

“Windy, then.” Twilight smiled. “Do you have any sugar-glazed daisies?”

Windy blinked. “Um. Yes! I’ve been working on a new recipe with strawberry flavoring. If that’s okay?”

Stars lit up in Twilight’s eyes. “I love strawberries! I’ll take a dozen.”

Windy stiffly nodded and backed up, heading for the kitchen. Lyra followed closely behind.

Everypony could heard the loud whispering even through the door. When they reappeared, Windy carried a small paper bag on her back. Right between the new pair of wings she was wearing.

Twilight lifted the bag with her magic and floated some bits over to a red-faced Windy. “Thank you so much! I’m terribly sorry about all the bother.”

“No,” Windy said. “T-thank you…”

“C’mon Spike!” Twilight called out as she turned and trotted away. She peeked in the bag. “Oh, I think she put in an extra honeycrisp quartz for you!”

“Really?” Spike jogged after her as they left the shop.

The bell on the door rung as it swung shut, leaving Windy still standing there, everypony staring at her. Lyra laid one hoof on her shoulder in reassurement, and Windy took a deep, shuddering breath.

The first pony to break the silence was Twist.

“That. Ith. Tho cool.”

The colt ran to tug at Windy’s foreleg. “Can you turn into anypony? Can you be Daring Do? Or Mistress Mare-velous?”

The stallion sidled up, looking away from them. “Uh, do you happen to have any… special magic changeling chocolates? With… extra-love or something?”

“I cannot believe it,” Cheerilee said. “Why didn’t you tell me? We talked about Changelings in class just last week! But still – can you come to a show and tell? The kids would love it!”

“Mith Windy?” Twist said. “Ith everything okay? You’re crying…”

“Yes,” Windy said, a disbelieving smile on her face. “Everything is just perfect.”

Comments ( 204 )

Welp, that was one of the most heart-meltingly adorable fics I've read in quite some time. My compliments.

Red is negitive as in not a changling.
It is also great for making a jerk look evil :)
Smart Twily

Haha... Nice ending!

Loved how Twilight gave Bon Bon her comeuppance.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Ha! Excellent use of misinformation.

As well, I can't say I'm surprised at the town's reaction, Ponyville gets over the 'whoa, that's freaky!' thing pretty quickly once they know you. And they already knew Windy, really.

s.mlkshk.com/r/K7

I give you...

THE SUPER MEGA HAPPY ENDING!!!

:twilightsmile::yay::rainbowkiss::pinkiehappy::raritywink::ajsmug:

Seriously, I love this story, and I've been delighted to be a part of it and watch everyone's reactions. High fives all around.

That was a cute little work, great job man! :twilightsmile:

I love how Spike blurts it out and exposes everything. Way to go, genius. :rainbowlaugh:

Well Bon-Bon, the tribe, or I should say the town, has spoken. Goodbye, and good ridance. :yay:

Despite being technically guilty of identity theft, the changling is given a royal pardon for services rendered. Everyone accepts her for who she is and enjoys her company. Unrealistic, but heartfelt and warm tingles all around.

How convenient, I just started reading a few minutes ago! :ajsmug: I absolutely loved it. I loved it so much in fact, that I...
:applejackconfused: Oh, I feel a bit woozy, actually. Think I'll take a nap...

Thank you for showing (ecomomically, too) exactly why Ponyville is best city. Seriously. I loved this story, and I wouldn't mind seeing more in the future, but I think you definitely pulled off a great changeling romance that lasted exactly as long as t needed to. Props.

I feel so happy right now.:rainbowkiss:

Better a nice changeling than a rude pony. Happily Ponyville agrees! Also, never insult the paperwork where Twilight can hear you.

This ending made me happy. Probably the only thing that could have made me happier is if Windy were declared the real Bon Bon and the original were forced to get a new identity as "Sweetie Drops."

Ain't karma something?

Just goes to show you that the number 1 rule for making friends and living life in Equestria is "Don't be a douchebag."

A happy ending.:pinkiesmile:
Perplexing...
I like it.:derpytongue2:

Love shall blossom once more.
Perhaps the blind shall be given sight in a future far from this.
Excellent work, dear Author!:pinkiehappy:

While I enjoyed it..It does mean that Twilight is willing to let someone get away with Identity theft if they are slightly rude...

Ah, Twilight in the show has been a real dumbass, lately. It's refreshing to see a story with the old Twilight again.

3797206
Given that Ponyville has pretty much been Weirdness Central ever since Twilight came to town (and probably long before that, seeing as how they live right on the edge of the Everfree), yeah, they'll get over it pretty quick. :pinkiehappy:

I have nothing dramatic or significant enough to really say.

Have a like.

That is all.

Well Bon Bon insulted paperwork. What did she expect to happen?

Aww, it's over already? Still, well done. :)

“I overheard a little songbird talking about you and Lyra meeting with Rarity yesterday, looking at white dresses.”

Their wearing white to their wedding? Who are they trying to fool?

“Besides, she called Form 247-D9 stupid! The nerve.”

Twilight must have been in a forgiving mood that day, normally that would be a summary execution offence.

What the fuck? The story took off without any hitches, just to land face-first and explode 4 minutes in?

Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about Twilight fudging the results like that. Twilight doesn't need to cheat, she can just give Windy/Bon an Official Royal Pardon anyway.

3797463 I must say, the epilogue wasn't as well-handled or satisfying as I expected. :trixieshiftright:

It was even better! :pinkiehappy:

Their wearing white to their wedding? Who are they trying to fool?

I don't get it...

3797502 she didn't fudge them, she carried out the test noted the results and hoofed bon bon out of town. fudging the results would mean she denied the changling in question was a changeling or the pony in question was a pony, she denied neither.

So this is after the wedding, where Lyra was hypnotized by changelings... and thrown off a cliff by ponies. So, nevermind. :scootangel:

3797473 The main arc of the story ended when Lyra decided whether to accept her, I guess.

Fantastic story. That was a very Ponyville ending.

WOOOOO! More reason to love this story! It ended! Do not mistake that for saying the story is bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. I hate it when good stories drag on and on until it becomes clear that there will never be an end. You did what very few people on this site do when they get a popular story and I respect you even more for it, sir.

It's... over...? :derpyderp2:
I- but- :fluttercry:
Spike, mind taking over from here?

Thanks... is there a chance there's more? :pinkiesad2:

3797405
It's just the writers are relaxing with the first half of the season. I'm sure regular Twilight will return in the second half

I have to admit, I was hoping for something a lot longer than this. this story is so good I'd have loved to be reading this for ten more chapters, but sometimes shorter can be okay too. this was a nice, cutesy ending for a nice, cutesy fic. It fit quite well, and now I find myself smiling uncontrollably.

also, I just want to be able to favorite and like this again.

I found the ending a little bit abrupt, I thought that Bon Bon's revenge should have been stretched about another chapter or so, to up the emotional kick and make the eventual conclusion even sweeter. That said, I'm glad the story is wrapped up neatly, and that the ending is suitably adorable. :yay:

*crink!*
Huh. I need to go see a dentist. I appear to have gotten cavities on my teeth.

All of them.

3797515

Their wearing white to their wedding? Who are they trying to fool?

I don't get it...

One marriage tradition is that a bride wears white as a symbol of her virginity before the marriage. This commenter is doubting that Bon Bon Windy and Lyra are virgins, so the idea of them wearing white dress(es) would indicate they were trying to pretend otherwise. :ajsleepy:

3797546 Yeah, if you notice panic only arrises when the flower triplets are around to scream, the horror the horror, and start yelling out fake things, god they are airheads.

3797529
She didn't 'note the results', though. She allowed everypony else to think that red meant 'bad' and green meant 'good', when it was actually the other way around. So, okay, she never actually explicitly said 'The Bon-Bon who came in with me is a changeling,' but she was definitely deceptive.

I demand a sequel

That was precious! Loved the fic, nice work.

3797433
At least it was a form and not a checklist.
I pity the foal who insults a checklist in her presence.

3797732 maybe but from what we know of the characters, bon bon got off easy, celestia would have likely been worse towards her, luna would have mooned here right there.

3797335

Windy were declared the real Bon Bon and the original were forced to get a new identity as "Sweetie Drops."

:pinkiegasp:That's terrible! :twilightangry2:Don't you remember?! :facehoof:Lyra totally referred to Windy Bon as Sweetie Drops in that love song dedicated to her! :pinkiesick:Why would you give the love song name to Nasty Bon?! :rainbowdetermined2:She soooo doesn't deserve it bro!

3797900

...She would've mooned her for being rude, and then been thrown there herself for abuse of power. Seriously dude.

This is adorable—short, sweet, and a nice twist on a familiar ship.

:rainbowdetermined2:
AWESOME!!!

A bit early, but sequel plz?

3798017
heh, "mooned", they don't even wear pants.

3797417
Yeah, is it just me, though, or does the monsters/invasions/bizarre occurrences seem to always happen on a weekly basis? Like, at more or less the same time each week?

It's puzzling, to say the least.


also, I'm hopping on the Sequel Please bandwagon.

3797632 *blinks*... Oh, you think I just meant Season 4!

its short, but its soooooooooo perfect! its too bad I cant show this to my homophob' friends :( oh well, great story. very well done.

Login or register to comment