• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 7,668 Views, 161 Comments

Wait. He's HOW Old?! - Flutterpriest



Sunset and Twilight stop to consider something serious. Is it really okay for a camp counselor to be hitting on one of the teen campers at an overnight camp?

  • ...
43
 161
 7,668

Stop And Think

Sunset Shimmer stared outside the window of the bright yellow bus, watching the scenery pass by. The gang had found themselves at the end of another crazy adventure. After an eventful week of summer camp, she and the rest of her friends found themselves with new powers, new perspectives, and a series of new questions. What mysteries still lied in store for them once they returned home? What other magics of Equestria will turn up on their side of the portal? What would Princess Twilight have to say about the things that were happening in their world? Is there anything they can do about it other than using their newfound powers to combat it?

However, these questions were not ones they needed to be concerned with now. They had won and lived to fight another day. For now, Sunset and the rest of the crew could just be concerned with getting a little well deserved R&R.

That is, for most of the girls.

"So, uh. Sunset?" asked Twilight, shaking her friend from her reverie.

Sunset turned away from the forests and lakes that passed them on their way back to the city and back to her friend. Twilight, not to be confused with Twilight who's a magical pony princess in Equestria, beamed at her.

"Yeah?" Sunset said.

"What, uh... do you do when you date people?" Twilight asked. "I've never really dated anyone before. And, well, I gave Timber my number."

Sunset smiled to herself and stretched her arms to the ceiling of the bus.

"So, the top-of-her-class Twilight Sparkle is coming to me for dating advice? I'm surprised, Twilight. I thought you knew everything," Sunset said with a tease.

"I'm serious, Sunset! I don't want to mess this up. I haven't really felt like this towards a boy before... and-"

"I know how you get when you're scared of making mistakes. Alright, well let's see..." Sunset said to herself, placing a hand to her chin. "When I dated Flash, we just talked about what we both liked. I mean, you have to be 18 to do most of the cool things in town. But, Flash was 18 and snuck me into some things."

Sunset paused, and then looked to Twilight.

"Honestly, that could make for a fun time. We're only 17, but if Timber is 18, then you could do almost anything."

Twilight laughed and relaxed in her seat.

"Oh, I don't think that should be a problem," she said in relief. "He's 25."

"Oh, well that's- Wait WHAT?!" Sunset said.

She sat up straight. Rarity and Rainbow hushed their conversation in the seat behind Sunset and Twilight. Twilight sat backward in surprise, her eyes growing.

"Yeah, he's 25," Twilight said. "You have to be 25 in most states in order to be a camp leader. I mean, they aren't going to assign two people almost exactly our age to run a camp of 16 year olds. What's wrong with that?"

"Wha- Don't just announce it to the world!" Sunset whispered at her angrily. "Well. Twilight. A 17 year old cannot just date a 25 year old! There are consent laws!"

Twilight waves a hand at Sunset, shaking her head.

"Now I think you're being the worry wart for a change. You're over thinking it. So what if he's 25? That doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy."

"Twilight," Sunset said, as if trying to shake her awake. "He has been drinking alcohol for the same number of years that it will take for you to drink."

"So what?" she retorted. "He thinks I'm very mature for my age."

Sunset froze, staring at her friend in shock.

"What? He said that?"

"Yeah! He knows me so well. He could tell exactly when something was wrong with me all week! And he kept holding my hand and putting his arm around me and-"

"Twilight, you realize how fast that's moving, right?" Sunset said. "Even for high-schoolers like us, that’s kinda weird. I know we don't always make the smartest decisions, but you've known him for a week."

"So? Timber and I got to talk a lot!"

"Really?" Sunset said, folding her arms. "When did all of that happen? You spent most of the time with us."

"But," Twilight said, but she fell silent.

"Twilight," Sunset said, placing a hand on her friend's leg. "Just how much do you know about Timber? Don't you think it's a little odd that a Camp Counselor acted so... forward to one of the campers in his care?"

"Well, not at the time. And you encouraged it!" Twilight spat back, pointing her finger.

"Yeah, well I didn't realize he was 25! We aren't legally consenting adults yet, Twilight."

Sunset lowered her voice and leaned to her friends.

"You realize that... If the two of you ever become active..."

Twilight's face went blank.

Sunset raised her hand to her lips, pausing.

"Twilight, you didn't,"

"No!" Twilight said hastily. "I guess. I'm just realizing... how pushy he was."

"Twilight. This isn't healthy. This isn't safe," Sunset said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Please, as your friend, at least wait until you're 18."

Twilight's gaze moved down to her hands. She nibbled on her lip as she studied the way she flexed her fingers.

"Until then, let's focus on being awesome, underage, magic warriors in sweet uniforms, okay?" Sunset said. "Doesn't that sound fun?"

Twilight's gaze moved to the back of the seat in front of her. Sunset could see a pain etched in the corners of her friend's features.

"I guess so," Twilight says. "It just... Do you think he was playing with my emotions? That he was manipulating me?"

"Don't think of it that way, Twilight. That won't do anyone good. All you can do is take a deep breath and move on."

Twilight looked up to her friend.

"You really are a fan of tough love."

"I have a way with words," Sunset said proudly, looking back out the window. "It'll hurt now, but it gets better."

Twilight sighed and slouched in her seat.

"Well, maybe I could see what other Twilight saw in that Flash guy."

"Nope. Dibs. No joust. He's mine," Sunset said flatly.

"Oh, come on!" Twilight yelled. "Why do I always get the short end of the love life stick?"

"Silly Twilight," Sunset said. "Stick size doesn't matter. You really do have a lot to learn."

Comments ( 161 )

Clearly Timber didn't spend as much time reading up on laws letting him screw an underaged chick as Michael Bay did.

and something I was wondering...where in the fuck are these kids parents?!

7614663 Paging Nurse Redheart we're going to need magical liuqid healing onitment for that burn:rainbowlaugh:

...didn't you write Paren't Night Out though?
HAHA as if I didn't know that.

You want to get REAL creepy with this fannon?
...He does this every year.

7614674
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

So if Timber is in fact a major(18 or over) and Sci-Twi is still a minor (under 18)... The SciTwiSentry ship still has a chance... Hey Flash ended things with Sunset before why couldn't he do it again...

7614667 Luna and Celestia are functioning parentes ad locum...or 'in the place of patents'... That being said Where TF is Shinug Armor... You think he would ask to charepoen on the first major outings of his LSBFF at her new school...

7614663 even if he did there is still a Conflict of Interest

7614683 you do remember she said she never really liked him right?

I just thought he's 18. That sounds about right for me.

7614701 that can change, if DHX throw Timber into the mix, then they can have SciTwi fall for Flash... There is still EQG movie number 5...

7614700 We would think so but Sunset is still technology a teenager... age reset spell maybe?

7614709 way i see it both Twi and Sunset cockblocked him and will not be getting with him and i feel they just tossed Timber in at a attempt at actual canon shipping and failed cause Timber was literally a more annoying version of Flash only thing he had in common with Twilight was a certain level of intelligence but even then Sunset is way smarter than he is I'm sure

7614700 she said she never really liked him so odds are she's safe xD

>tfw the age of consent is actually 16

7614722
In what country? (or state, I think there's like one or two states where it's not 18)

7614719 fair enough, but can I still have hope for it in EQG 5? :pinkiesad2:

Now Timber hittin' on Sci-Twi (or Sparky) is just plain creepy. For all I know, he could look like a teenager, but is really a college student or something.

7614729 I wouldn't...the main focus of these movies was never shipping; nope thats what all the fanfics inbetween movies in for. Besides if any ship needs to be made canon in this damn movie series its Sunlight dammit...just let Sunset have her hasbro! :twilightangry2:

7614732 according to him he'd been living in the forest all his life, never even went to the mall. So we have a total and almost literal Hippie hitting on super genius magical city girl...pardon me while I load my bass cannon to sink this fucked up ship

7614723

I´m Spanish, but I have read the minimum legal age for Camp Counselor in America is actually eighteen. There is no basis to suggest Timber is older than that.

7614751
My comment was to the age of consent being 16, which it is not where I am. I didn't say a thing about the age of camp counselors.

7614695 Shining Armor goes to Crystal Prep not CHS.

7614751

See, I read this too. But keep in mind that this is a TEEN camp. Teen counselors aren't going to be put in charge of other teens, on a general basis. On the whole, for teen overnight summer camps, 20-somethings are the encouraged instructor age. The camp in the show is a family owned one, so maybe there's fuzzy law stuff happening, but on the whole, the 18 year old camp instructors are for younger overnight summer camps.

7614769

Oh well, the writers didn´t think about the implications of giving Sunset and Twilight a teenager love interest (Flash), either. :trixieshiftleft:

That last line, thumbs up, hooves up :trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::rainbowlaugh:

If it had been another character, sure. But I don't think you're taking Timber's actual character into account here. Seems like you're just using him as a strawman.

7614751 Federal law says that yes, but individual state laws can vary, and most states say over twenty.

now i need to know >.<

7614764 Actually, according to the scene in Cinch's office, Shining Armor has graduated.

Thank you. Didn't like this canon ship... Timber seemed... poor as a character. Can't out my finger on why but I did just not care for him.

7614738 Valid point... That was something I did not consider.

7614764 He's old enough to be romantically involved with Cadance... The school's dean... Which for a prep school I assume means something like vice principal...

This kind of thing doesn't stop Sparity shippers since Spike is technically underage LOL

I didn't even see the new movie and I liked this.

7614723 age of consent laws vary from state to state. In some, no ifs, ands, or buts, it is 18. But other states have different laws.

Here is Maine's consent laws as an example.
At the age of 16, a minor can legally date, and even engage in sexual relations with, aan adult. At 14, the same rule applies, ONLY if the parents of the minor give their consent to the relationship. In both instances, it is only legal as long as the age difference is no more than five years.

If Camp Everfree was in Maine, and the guy was only 22 years of age, it would then be legal. Now, in Texas, even if the guy was 19, he would be going to jail... And Texas is a state you do NOT want to spend time in jail in.

7614935 As a proud Texan myself, this comment delights me.

7614723 Here in IL the legal age of consent is 17.
It varies state by state. If you're curious, here's a list.

Nali #41 · Oct 3rd, 2016 · · 1 ·

I thought they'd worked the creep factor out of these films after EG1's "I didn't say no! I mean, I did, but... I didn't mean no," bombshell was rightly thrashed, but here we are again. This ain't the sort of stuff you want to be glorifying for little girls, Hasbro.

7614700
She's a mid twenty-something shoved into a teenager's body by a species altering dimensional portal. It might be a challenge to get those charges to stick.

My personal opinion is that Timber is a decent character, but there was no need for him to be Twilight's love interest. He could have just been a camp counselor she befriended due to their common interests or something like that. Hell, what if Timber just decided to hang around her because she reminded him of his sister in some way? Wouldn't that serve the plot better than forced shipping? Especially forced shipping with these kinds of implications. After all, even if they hadn't been outright shipped, the fandom would have done it anyway. There was nothing to lose by having Timber and Twilight just be friends.

7614935
That being said, there are 'Romeo and Juliet' provisions in place for when one member of a long relationship turns old enough to be considered guilty of statutory rape (say, the girl turns 18 and the guy will turn 17 a month later, and they've been together for three years), mainly so disapproving parents can't abuse the system to get the two to forcibly be broken up. I'm not sure if this applies to all first-world countries, though.

Ulrezaj #45 · Oct 3rd, 2016 · · 19 ·

I personally find all this age of consent arguing hilarious. My reason being that my parents got married when my mother was the ripe old age of 16 and my father was 25.
Hell, my neighbors did one better, she was 17 and her husband to be was 32.

Anyways, the age of consent laws are pretty pointless when the average teen loses their virginity at around 13-15. All the law does is make them be sneakier about it and possibly lead to more dangerous circumstances.

7615107
No... That's way too young to loose your viriginty. I don't know anyone my age who has

FINALLY SOMEBODY BRINGS THIS UP

Well looks like EQG Twilight is very much like her Brother in this world! :rainbowlaugh:

Maybe Gloriosa was 25 and Timber was younger and not officially in charge?

I feel like even ignoring the age difference, it's still problematic because Timber is an authority figure.

Divide by two, add seven. Why don't people understand this?

Login or register to comment