• Published 15th May 2014
  • 5,317 Views, 430 Comments

Sprockets in the North - Lab



Icy spires and sheer cold have barred entry to the Frozen North, the land ponies emigrated from, for as long as any can remember. However, the princesses believe Sterling Gears might be able to find a solution. Part 2 of The Tinker's Journey.

  • ...
10
 430
 5,317

Sterling Heads North

Nightmare Night had been my wake-up call. I couldn’t keep going on the same way—I had to suck it up and make an effort to get better instead of waiting for it. As a human, I’d never been to any sort of therapist, so I’d had no idea what to expect of my first appointment. He hadn’t seemed to doubt any of the stuff I'd told him about my past as we’d gotten to know each other—then again, changeling expressions weren’t something I’d had much experience with. After the second appointment, I’d sent a thank-you letter to Luna for her recommendation of therapist.

Twilight and I had made sure to keep going with our weekly meetings, though sometimes we had just relaxed and chatted about magic. Well, Twilight had chatted while I’d tried to keep up. We’d talked about the nerve-fraying weeks as well as the smooth ones. My therapist was great, but sometimes I just needed a good back-and-forth with somebody I wasn’t paying to listen.

Things had gotten busy in the month before the airship’s take-off date, which meant a lot of time on the airship integrating the thaumite temperature shield. All the running around had been exhausting, and the pack party Pinkie had thrown just a week ago had been a perfectly timed break that had saved my sanity. It had also given me time to think about the non-trip stuff that needed to be done before I left for two weeks—things like hanging out with a friend I hadn’t seen much of while swamped with work and telling them things I didn’t have a reason to keep hidden from them.

“So… you’re an alien?” Vinyl asked slowly.

“Yep. Came from a different universe. No spaceship though.” I’d been wary when the shrink had suggested I open up about my past to some friends I could trust, but this was actually kinda nice. Didn’t have to feel like I needed to watch everything I said around everybody.

Vinyl snorted. “Aww, I was going to ask for a ride.” She actually looked a little disappointed at me not having a UFO. “Honestly though, I thought you were a minotaur that got turned into a pony because you poked something cursed. Kinda glad Tall didn’t agree to that bet now.”

“A minotaur?”

She shrugged and gave me a sheepish smile. “Yeah, there was that time we were hanging out and you knocked a drink off a table, then you grumbled about missing your hands. Was going to ask you about it, but thinking about minotaurs made me think of how much I wanted some bullwraps—you know, those things you called ‘weird burritos’.”

“Oh yeah! I remember that night. Those things kicked ass.” As hearty as they were spicy. I didn’t remember what the restaurant had used instead of tortillas, but they were quite a bit thicker and sturdier, more like large floppy pancakes. “Then we had that little contest to see who could handle the spiciest sauce.” It had been spicy enough to bring back memories of accidentally lighting myself on fire.

Vinyl laughed and nodded excitedly. “And we were both crying by the time we called it a draw. Yeah, we should go back there again sometime. I’d say tonight, but...” She gestured towards the packed bags near my front door.

“That’s part of the reason I’m telling you all this tonight. Kinda tired of putting it off.”

“Cutting it a little close.” Vinyl snorted and took a drink, though she paused before it got to her muzzle. “Wait, this isn’t one of those things where you don’t think you’re going to survive, is it? Because I totally thought this was just a researchy exploration thing.”

“It is just a researchy exploration thing.” There was extra thaumite in my bags so I could do my part in keeping it that way too. “I didn’t feel like spending half the trip wondering how this conversation would go. Definitely glad it’s going this well though.”

“Pfft, why wouldn’t it? I just found out one of my friends is an alien and how cool is that? Not like it’s a weird secret to keep either. I mean, I don’t exactly want the world to know my signature shades are prescription.” She gave them a gentle tap. “Or that Photo Finish is my mom. Love her, but I can’t stand the type of crowd she attracts.”

“I forgot she was your mom.” I’d met her once too, and even though I’d recognized her words, I had no idea what she was saying to me.

“It doesn’t come up much.” Vinyl shrugged, then glanced around my home before asking, “So do you have any alien technology you can show off? Something that fires lasers would be extra cool.”

I gestured at her forehead. “You have one of those attached to your skull. In fact, I’ve actually seen you shoot lasers with it.” I think Twilight called them thaumic projectiles or something, but ‘laser’ still sounds better.

“Yeah, but I’m talking about alien lasers. The less sparkly kind of pew pew.”

It was my turn to snort. “I showed up with nothing but a body I had no idea how to use.” And Dave, but I wasn’t ready to tell Vinyl about him yet.

“Is that why you’re a little calmer than you used to be? You got used to being a pony? I don’t want to say you were happier back then, but sometimes I worry. I just thought you were upset about your leg. Or overworked. Or both, really.”

Was I less happy now? I knew I was more stable at least. Probably. “I don’t know. I guess I’m not as excited about being here as I used to be—no, that’s not right. Hmm. Everything’s just not as new as it was when I first showed up, so there’s less distraction keeping my mind off things. I’ve got it good here, so I don’t really have much of an excuse to stay like this. I should be grateful.”

Vinyl smirked. “Gears, I’ve seen you cry while eating a sandwich and you told me it’d been years since you had sourdough. Actually, that makes a lot more sense now. My point is you’re plenty grateful. You should just be Sterling Gears, not Sterling Gears, the last alien from… what was your planet called?”

“Earth—in my language at least.”

“Really? I expected something like Aegis VII or whatever.”

I rolled my eyes. “The name of this planet literally means ‘horse’.” In Old Equestrian, I think. I’d have to check with Twilight to be sure what the language was actually called, since I couldn’t think of any horse-based puns for Latin.

Vinyl blinked at me in confusion before facehoofing. “Great, now I’m expecting every planet to be named something dull. Thanks, Gears. You just ruined sci-fi.”

“Glad I could help.”

She thought for a couple moments and snorted. “I guess you could just not translate it, but it’s always going—” three sharp knocks at my door cut her off abruptly. “Huh, did you invite somebody else over for the big reveal too?”

Rolling off my seat and onto my hooves, I replied, “Nope. It’s probably one of the diamond dogs.” The only others I could think of that might be at my door at this hour were Pinkie or Twilight, but Pinkie rarely knocks and Twilight’s style is five quick knocks. However, I wasn’t expecting who was actually waiting on the other side of the door. “Applejack? What are you doing here?”

She gave me a curt nod. “Sterling. I want to have a chat.”

“Uh, no?”

“I have a fresh apple pie.” She nodded towards the cloth-wrapped bundle on her back.

Crap, who told her I like food? “I’ve got company, Applejack.”

“Yo,” Vinyl said from her cushion, though I was pretty sure she was greeting the pie.

“I also have some jams and preserves for your trip.” That must be what’s in the basket. “I just want your ear for a couple minutes. That’s all.” Was she feeling guilty? Annoyed? Bored? Her expression wasn’t telling me enough.

“Just talk to her, Gears. You get a pie out of it.” Dang, Vinyl’s logic was pretty solid on this one.

I sighed and nodded. “Alright. We’ll just be out front for a bit, Vinyl.”

Her horn glowed as she got to her hooves, our cups floating into the air to follow. “Sounds good to me. I’ll refill our drinks. And debate making a sandwich for myself. Oh wait, gotta save room for apple pie.”

As the door closed behind me, I tried not to think about how my last talk with Applejack had gone or how it was just the two of us out here under the thaumite lanterns flanking my front door. It was getting easier to be outside after sundown, but I still wouldn’t be getting far from where everything was nicely illuminated. The dry grass crunched beneath me as I sat down and wondered how much I’d use an actual porch.

Applejack carefully set the basket on the ground and rested the pie on top of it before taking a seat nearby, the grass under her protesting notably less. She fixed her gaze on some point in the distance, while I opted to focus on the food with frequent glances in her direction. The crickets ignored both of us and kept on chirping.

“I’m sorry,” Applejack said quietly.

I wanted to reply, but I didn’t know what I could say that wouldn’t come out barbed. I wanted to say that she should be sorry, or better yet, downright ashamed. I wanted to tell her off for what she did, for blaming me for Grue and attacking me in my own home. I wanted to ask how she carried a pie and a basket on her back the whole way here—that was something I just couldn’t get the hang of. Instead, I just kept quiet and nodded.

It felt like ages before she continued, “We’re not friends, and I don’t think we’ll ever be, but I shouldn’t have punched you. That’s not the kind of thing I want to teach Apple Bloom. And with what Twilight says, you’ve been through more than your fair share of trouble—it’s not right for me to add to that.” Applejack sighed and shifted her gaze upwards. “Granny always taught us to look a pony in the eyes when we apologize, but I can’t look at you, Sterling, not without seeing Braeburn or the others.”

“You know that wasn’t my fault, right?” I don’t tell myself that every day just to forget it now.

Applejack nodded. “You were the cart, not the pony pulling it. I know that now, but it’s stubborn. You’ve made yourself a life here, so far from your old one, and that’s what I want to see when I look at you—just a strange earth pony who lives outside Ponyville. You’re a hard-working pony who isn’t afraid to get her hooves dirty, and I respect that.”

“Thanks.” I wasn’t expecting a compliment, but I’ll take it. “I, uh, really don’t know what else to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything, Sterling.” Applejack stood up and adjusted her hat. “I came here to apologize, and with that done, I need to get back to the farm. Have a good night, Sterling. And a safe trip.”

“Applejack,” I called after her, and she stopped just short of the dark outside the porch lights. Even now, I still didn’t know what to say. Not only was it the longest conversation I’d had with Applejack, but I couldn’t remember a time where I’d heard a more sincere apology. “Thank you.” It was a simple thing to settle on, but it was either that or stand there awkwardly until she left anyway.

She nodded once before heading off into the night. Between the stars, moon, and lack of clouds, it was bright enough to see about halfway to where the road disappeared over a hill, but there wasn’t much of a reason for me to still be out here.

I stuck my head back inside. “Hey, Vinyl, can you come get this pie? I can get the basket.” Even if I had to use my mouth to pick up and carry a lot of things, I still wasn’t comfortable with doing it to food I was going to share.

Vinyl was outside faster than if she’d teleported. “I don’t know what you did to get a free pie, but you have no idea how excited I am for this. Tavi never shares hers.” She looked off into the distance where Applejack was still barely visible before asking me, “Everything alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. It was a good talk.” It really was. I wasn’t exactly on edge, but after everything Applejack said, I was feeling pretty at ease. “Come on, let’s have some pie before I have to kick you out so I can get some sleep.”

Somedays I’d wake up expecting fingers and bipedalism—oh yeah, and a penis—though the feeling never lasted long once my eyes had opened and reminded me of my blue-grey muzzle. Those mornings were becoming more and more uncommon, but shouldn’t they have been gone by now? What’s a reasonable length of time for these things? I didn’t want to forget that I was once human—I just wanted to stop forgetting I’d probably be a pony for the rest of my life. There were plenty of other things more deserving of a spot in my mind: spell patterns, pack management, and fun ways to mess with Twilight, to name a few.

But the first thing I noticed today was an absence of weight that left my head feeling uncomfortably bare. “Where the hell are my goggles?”

They weren’t on the floor waiting for me to step on them, though that was probably just because I actually checked before getting off the couch—if I hadn’t, they’d have definitely been under my first hoofstep. They weren’t in the fridge, but I did find a delicious leftover sandwich I promptly ate and nearly choked on. There was a lone sock in the fridge too, for some reason, but I decided not to eat and/or choke on it.

All that was on the workbench were the blueprints for a couple spell patterns I was working on integrating into things. When the shields for the ship had finally been completely designed and installed, I’d finally felt like I could work on other stuff. What I’d learned about temperature and shields could be adapted to improve my fridge, which would be great because then I wouldn’t need to buy ice like it was going out of style. I could just buy a better icebox, but this gave me an excuse to use thaumite, and my appliances could definitely use more thaumite.

“Oh, there you are.” Why would I have left my goggles near the pile of stuff by my front door? I’ve only ever done that when there was something important— “Oh shit, that’s today.” I really needed to start remembering I owned a calendar.

Moments later, a thunderous knock made me whinny with surprise, what with me being within touching distance of the front door. I hate that reaction so much, and I’m not entirely certain why. This time, I was expecting the visitors waiting on the other side, Stick and the crew that was going to load the last of my stuff onto the airship.

“Ready, Beta?” my pack-appointed bodyguard asked, his words slightly distorted by the full helmet he wore. Gotta say, he looked pretty badass in that hulking suit of armor.

Goggles finally in their proper place, I nodded. “Yup, all my bags are packed and my leg compartment is full of candy.” It took me three weeks to design and install that little modification, but it was so worth it.

“We need to get moving if we’re going to get you and your luggage to the airship on time,” a white earth pony said as he unhooked himself from the boring, unpowered cart that probably also complied with safety regulations.

“Alright. Stick, can you grab some of this stuff?” I asked as I worked my saddlebags on.

Stick—I still don’t get D-Dog naming conventions—effortlessly picked up the rest of my stuff and carried it over to the cart like he was moving towels or random newspaper-wrapped knick-knacks in a cardboard box that would have been labelled if it weren’t for procrastinating on packing until the night before move-out day.

The earth pony grumbled about unharnessing himself for nothing but quickly decided that it was still less work and he wasn’t hourly. “There’s plenty of room, so hop on and we’ll get going.”

With everything secured, it was time to make our way to the airship, where I was going to zone out on deck for the duration of the launching ceremony. As we got further from my home, I realized this was the longest I’d be away from the Gem Hills since that mandatory cold-weather training. The doors and windows were locked, but had I left the oven on? Eh, my house was made of rocks. It’d be fine. All I really had to worry about was Twilight breaking in and setting fire to my couch again.

The airship in the distance slowly grew larger until it loomed overhead. Stick and I hopped off the cart and worked our way towards the boarding ramp. A massive crowd waited eagerly to see the AS Traveller begin her maiden voyage, and though I didn’t recognize many of the pony faces within, I couldn’t help grinning at my assembled pack members. Focusing on them took the edge off being near a crowd large enough to be considered a horde, and it did so long enough for us to get on the ship.

Other than the thaumite, my favorite part of the airship had to be the smell—there was nothing quite like the scent of magic, smoke, and wood that hadn’t soaked up enough of the first two to lose its own aroma. Heading below deck didn’t mask the sound of everybody hurrying about to finish their last-minute preparations, but once we got moving, we’d hear less of that and more of the engines chugging away. Stick trailed behind me, his armor making far more noise than my gait. It was nice not being the main source of clunks.

My room was just two left turns, down another set of stairs, another left, and a right away—nope, that wasn’t even the right end of the ship. Mine was closer to the spell-pattern room, according to the map Stick was kind enough to point out before I could try navigating the rest of the way via the left-hoof rule. Below deck was busy as well, though it was mostly crew members just trying to get settled into their rooms.

“Beta, Boss is going to surprise you.”

“You are the best bodyguard ever.” Seriously, I was going to make sure he got a “Bodyguard of the Month” plaque when we got back. Or would a trophy be better? Nah, D-Dogs usually had more walls than shelves.

Sure enough, streamers and confetti drifted down the moment I opened the door. Pinkie stood next to my bags, happily blowing a party horn to no particular tune. What Stick didn’t warn me about was the purplish alicorn standing next to Pinkie. “Twilight? When did you get back in town?”

Pinkie hopped forward and blew her blowout again.

I was getting the feeling she suspected I forgot what party blowers are usually called. “It’s good to see you too, Pinkie.”

Pinkie nodded and hugged me, quietly blowing the curly-paper-blower thing the entire time. With a gasp that almost ended in her inhaling the thing, Pinkie backed up and focused on seeing how long she could keep the blower making its iconic noise. At least I think that’s what she was doing—there was an equal chance she was carefully analyzing her party tech.

With a small chuckle, Twilight gave me a quick hug of her own. “I’m not really done in Canterlot just yet, but I couldn’t miss a chance to see off one of my friends on the journey of a lifetime. Are you sure you packed everything?”

“Yep. Don’t worry, Twilight, I’m all set. I’ll even bring you back some snow.” She was going to banish me to some sort of library dungeon if I didn’t send her updates about what we were finding too, even if I was just a mechanic.

“I think I’d prefer the updates about how things are going in the Frozen North.” See? Well, she didn’t specifically say ‘library dungeon’ but I’m sure she has one. Like a small room with the most uncomfortable chair in existence and nothing to read but outdated medical pamphlets. “Actually, the snow is a good idea too.”

“Just don’t forget I’ll have to bring any souvenirs back, since Couri can’t send more than letters that far.” I gestured at the pet carrier containing my mailbox. “In fact, I’m not even sure if letters will go through all the time over so far. Or if the barrier will mess with things.” I still hadn’t figured out all the rules with them, but I was starting to get the hang of things like which stamps it liked and which it would spit out when my back was turned.

Pinkie gasped, the party blower falling to the ground as she rushed over to Couri’s carrier and opened the door. “Couri!” She stuck her head in and nuzzled the mailbox. “I’m going to miss you too.”

Couri’s door opened and closed quickly once, which I was pretty sure equalled a bark.

“I’ll keep you both filled in as much as I can though, I promise.” One of my bags was packed with books of stamps, so barring any issues with the distance, keeping Couri fed wouldn’t be a problem. “I chat with you two more than anybody else, so keeping in touch is what I was planning on anyway. I’ll only be gone a couple weeks anyway.” I’d also be keeping in touch with Luna, of course—moon princess is best princess.

Pinkie rolled onto her back and groaned. “Aww, not a fortnight! That’s two weeks! Fourteen days—oh so that’s what the name is from. That makes way more sense.”

“Huh, I didn’t think of that.” Definitely one of those things that felt like I should have figured it out sooner.

The ship’s bell rang three times, which could only mean it was time for most of the crew to assemble on deck for the launching ceremony. The only ones exempt from heading up top were those that had to do their final checks to make sure everything was airshipshape. The ceremony wasn’t my kind of thing anyway, so it was fortunate that it was time for me to start doing my checks and tests on the cold-shield pattern. Would have been kind of awkward if we got halfway there and found out somebody had mistaken the pattern for modern art and tossed it overboard.

“I take it that means it’s time to go?” Twilight asked before I could say anything.

“Not before a goodbye hug it isn’t!” Pinkie said as she pulled Twilight and I into a mildly awkward—for me—group hug. The movements were always different enough that it made my brain point out I was doing it wrong compared to the humanoid version. It wasn’t the first pony thing I had to get used to, and it wouldn’t be the last.

“Take good care of the Pack while I’m gone, Pinkie. Oh, and Twilight, spoil Spike for me.” Separating from a pony hug without falling on your face took some practice.

“You got it, Gears!” Pinkie replied with a salute. “I’ll Alpha hard enough to make up for you not being there. Hmm, maybe I can make a decoy.”

“If the diamond dogs all know Gears is going on this trip, what’s the decoy for?”

Pinkie shrugged and made sure she was standing next to Twilight. “I’unno. I’ll figure that out later. Bye, Gears! Don’t forget about the cupcakes I snuck into your bags. Oh, and tell Stick about his!” Ooh, secret luggage cupcakes. That’s one of the best kinds.

Twilight smiled and did her usual pre-teleport check to make sure she wouldn’t accidentally be taking anything more than her intended passengers back with her. “Stay safe, Gears. We’ll miss you.” Then with a flash of light and that weird vibrating pop teleports make, they were gone.

After a quick battle with my mane to get my goggles in place without any hair stuck in my eyes, I fished my toolbelt and a cupcake out of my bags. “Welp, time to get to work.”

For being one of the most vital rooms on the ship, the “thaumite room” wasn’t that interesting outside of the thing that would hopefully keep us from becoming popsicles. No windows, one door, and no furniture apart from the table with the spell pattern fastened to it. Yep, just a table—thaumite wasn’t about looking pretty, though I’ll admit I didn’t mind looking at it.

Anybody peeking over my shoulder at the blueprint would have seen a mess of scribbles and wondered how the hell I knew what I was doing—well, they’d probably be wondering “how the Tartarus” instead, but it functions the same. The blueprint’s only purpose was to make everybody else less nervous. Nobody else had really liked the idea of trusting me to remember how every inch of the thaumite was supposed to look, but I couldn’t draw a straight line with a pencil in my mouth, let alone a detailed schematic.

“Everything okay, Beta?” Stick asked from his spot by the door.

I replied without taking my eyes off the pattern, “Huh? Oh yeah, just peachy.”

And everything was peachy. No corroded sections, no sparking, and nothing bent in a way it shouldn’t have been. I’d run some extra tests once we got to our stop in the Crystal Empire, but for now, my checkup was done.

An orange pegasus stuck his head into the room and warily eyed Stick. “Sterling Gears, is everything in order with the thaumite?”

I turned around and gave him a sloppy salute. “Aye aye, Bosun.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m just going to pretend you said ‘yes, I have reduced the chances of the entire crew freezing to death.’”

“That doesn’t sound like something I’d say.”

Bosun—or whatever his name was—snorted. “You’re right, that was too direct.”

“‘Aye aye’ wasn’t direct?”

Bosun’s only response was to close the door behind him as he left.

After a few moments, Stick spoke up. “Beta, what’s a bosun?”

“I just know it’s a position on a boat crew,” I replied with a shrug before moving away from the table and getting comfortable.

For some reason, it was necessary for me to remain in the room until we launched. It wasn’t like there was anything I could do other than check over the pattern, so with that out of the way, it was time for me to fiddle with my own supply of thaumite. Since I didn’t feel like making anything specific with it, I figured I’d just tinker, or as Pinkie called it, playing with explodey magic pipe cleaners. Thankfully, I didn’t have to wait long before the engines activated with a small rumble that could have easily been mistaken for somebody’s empty stomach if it weren’t for the floor vibrating.

Stick nervously gripped a small pouch filled with dirt taken from the caves. I’d warned him that being in an airship meant not being on the ground, but I could practically smell his anxiety—wait, never mind, I was smelling an earth pony who hadn’t had the chance to bathe before rushing out the door.

“You’ll feel better once we get to a cruising height,” I said after watching my guard continue to fidget. “Don’t think of it as being off the ground. Think of it as… uh, sorry, I got nothing.” I was not a good therapist, and seeing one didn’t make me better at it. “Oh, I know. Think of it as different ground.”

“Needs dirt,” Stick replied, gently rubbing the pouch. “And stone.”

It’s actually kind of nice being airborne without using an accidental explosion to get myself there. Maybe I should have been more worried about being in an airship with what had happened to my parents, but I helped build this flying machine. Kind of. Well, I built a vital accessory.

As I watched Stick quiver, I wondered if I should have pushed harder to not have a bodyguard. It’s not like I was—no, no tempting fate this time. I’d learned my lesson. Still, I couldn’t help but wonder if there were a better choice. At least he calmed slightly as the airship stopped ascending.

“Hey, Stick, let’s go get you some more food.” I was still pretty sated from that sandwich that had tried to kill me, but with any luck, getting a gem into Stick’s belly would steady his nerves or at least distract him.

The shaking halted. “Food?”

I chuckled. “Yep. Don’t recommend eating anything too heavy at the moment, but if you want to eat a handful of gems, that should be fine. I’ll even come with.” It’d be easier than trying to convince him to go on his own.

Author's Note:

This chapter's been a long time coming, and while I can't say I'm back to a regular schedule, it does feel good to be publishing stuff on FiMFic again. Who knows, maybe I'll put up some of my side projects soon—they're nothing like Sterling's adventures though. Lots of bats, some bugs, and a non-Zecora zebra. Oh, and TF, because that's my jam.

This chapter would not have been possible if it weren't for all the help I received, especially from Damaged, who I am lucky to have as a friend.

For what it's worth, I am sorry for the delay. The beginning of the chapter seems rushed, but it was a necessary skip over the last couple months in-story. There just wasn't anything happening in those months that required more of a look than what I wrote. Also, between the story's pacing and the delay in updates, it was definitely time to launch the airship. There was a little bit more I had written for the end of this chapter, but I figured I should use the next chapter for introducing the airship crew in a bit more depth.

Thanks for sticking around.

Comments ( 64 )

Holy shit I'm glad I don't delete long dormant stories from my fav list. Good to see you're back.

Oh dammed for reals, after almost 3 years there's a chapter, well-done mate.

You have no idea how excited I was to see this update. Like, I did a little butt-dance in my chair and made a sound that caused dogs to start barking.

Yaaaaay! Will have to reread this so I know what's going on.

*le gasp!* I've been waiting to drop off of this cliff hanger for ages! Man I feel old now. Glad your back in action, this'll be a nice one to pick back up.

Lab! So glad to see you again! Can’t wait to read the new chapter in Sterling’s story when I’m off work.

Welcome back!

Woo an update. Nice to see the continuation.

I've forgotten everything about this story except for how much I like Sterling. Oh no! Now I have to reread it!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

... Someone had to say it.

oh... its not an April fools chapter, cool

April 1st update that is legit...You sir I like.

The fuck, I have to reread the story.

I just finished rereading this the other day! What a great coincidence that you updated. Love this story, look forward to more. :pinkiehappy:

I'll be honest: I literally have zero recollection of this story besides some fuzzy flashes of enjoyment. Time to re-read!

Welcome back, Lab. It's wonderful to see you again.

This is real? your back? OH THANK THE LORD!

Welcome back, mon capitan

Took me a while to get my bearings, but it's a joy to see it active again.

Nice chapter, and it left me waiting for more.

Wonderful to see you again :twilightsmile:

(More cyborg-pones! :pinkiehappy: )

I'm so glad you're doing better! Thank you, and thanks Damaged!

8836828 I only cracked the whip. Lab did all the writing. :twilightsmile:

Holy asstits an update

8836854
I speak from expirence that some times having that task master is a great help.

Welcome back and know we are ready^-^

Welcome back, I think it’s safe to say we missed you.

Glad to see this make a return

Fun chapter, and written by best bat! <3

Oh my god. When I set my filter to "most recent update" and this came up, I thought I did something wrong. Now I need to go back and remember what the hell is going on.

Welcome back, man!

Ahh, I needed this. Glad to have you back.

'Tis back! Amazement!

Uuuuuggghhhh, it's been too long! I can't wait to read the update! But alas, I need to reread the entire series now!

Maybe by the time I catch up there will be more new chapters hopefully!

Welp, just re read the first story now time to get caught up with the second. And I'm glad to see your back. Forgot how good the first story was.

bosun

Boatswain, though pronounced how you spelled it. A boatswain’s mate is someone charged with the general maintenance and upkeep of the ship, as well as anchor handling, and other various duties

Ho-ly-shit. He's pitch dark, and he eats people. After years, I finally understand what Grue is. I love it.

Thank you Wiki gods!

Moments later, a thunderous knock made me whinny with surprise, what with me being within touching distance of the front door.

Surprised horse noises :trollestia:

Or that Photo Finish is my mom.

Woah! :rainbowderp:

I plum forgot I still had part of this chapter left on my ereader. Thanks again for coming back to this story, Lab; it is one of my favorites! :pinkiesmile:

8869797
The phonetic spelling is also in use, though it seems to be less common. I'm not sure if that's a BE/AE thing.

8936161
I had thought Grue had merely removed personality elements, not memories. Still, that makes sense.
I do think she should mention the principles she can remember to Twi or someone, and see if they can get it working.

To start off with, Good chapter. I have so far thoroughly enjoyed this story. I do look forward to the next chapter. As i do understand that life produces distractions and other projects can take priority over this story. I do have to admit that this last chapter was long in coming.

Saying that i do hope that you do not decide to cancel this story later on. I do hope to see a new chapter soon. I would not mind seeing the other stories that you are riding. Especially if they are in the My Little Pony universe. Keep writing and I hope the muses strike you heavily so you will write a new chapter to this wonderful story.

Dragonfox

guess that last chapter was just the final death twitch for this story instead of its grand return huh?

Lab

9602318
Nope, just swamped with RL stuff that drains my energy.

9603992
I hope the swamp actually gets drained one of these days. I really enjoy the series, and featuring Daring Do in this part was an extra plus for me. 💖

The mane six and the main character are all acting like well adjusted adults? Is this even a hie story anymore?

We're still here by the way. Waiting. All of us.

Lab

9663719
Oh I definitely haven't forgotten. It's one of the many things that keeps me awake at night.

9663751
Just wanted you to know that we haven't given up :)

Comment posted by Zake deleted May 8th, 2020

Is this still alive. Or is it dead.

Lab

10573978
The story is alive. I'm just working on a lot of personal issues and it often leaves me too exhausted to get any writing done. Add that to being overly critical of my own work and you have a recipe for getting nothing done.

Login or register to comment