• Published 15th May 2014
  • 5,299 Views, 430 Comments

Sprockets in the North - Lab



Icy spires and sheer cold have barred entry to the Frozen North, the land ponies emigrated from, for as long as any can remember. However, the princesses believe Sterling Gears might be able to find a solution. Part 2 of The Tinker's Journey.

  • ...
10
 430
 5,299

Emergency Mechanic Replacement

Only a few hours after we’d returned to Ponyville, I had decided it was finally time to break in my pick, mostly to keep my mind off of how awkward the breakfast had been. Shining had apologized for the accidental insult, and I’d apologized for reacting poorly, though I still thought my response had been relatively mellow.

Digging was a fairly odd hobby, but I already had the equipment and lived near diamond dogs—it made more sense than painting or macrame. Claiming a secluded section of tunnel, I’d quickly learned how slow digging with a pick actually was. Holding the handle hadn’t bothered my teeth, but my neck had been sore for about a week. Still, it was a surprisingly relaxing activity—easy to get into a rhythm and lose myself in the sound of a pick striking the earth. Even clearing the rubble didn’t take me out of zen.

The diamond dogs weren’t sure if they were supposed to be embarrassed that, for completely understandable reasons, their beta was the slowest-digging pack member. Well, one of the reasons was barely understandable—Pinkie could tear through the ground at a decent pace, and she’d insisted it was because she’d grown up on a rock farm and that her sisters could pulverize stone with their hooves. If that were the case, Marble, Limestone, and Maud were ponies I’d want on my side in a barfight.

After a month of semi-regular digging, swinging the pick barely bothered my neck, and the activity was little more than an excuse to get some exercise while I thought about possible avenues of research. My work on a decent shield pattern was progressing well, though the current versions of temperature shielding did next to nothing to block out the cold from the everfrost. On the plus side, it had been surprisingly easy to fit the shield to the right size once the architects had decided on the final dimensions.

A splotch of pink bounded towards me. “Gears! I haven’t seen you in forever! What’d I miss?”

I sat down my pick and pushed my goggles up. “You left yesterday, Pinkie.”

“But it felt like forever. Maybe not literally—leave my hyperboles alone, Gears. I still need to know what I missed though. It’s not like I have a secretary. Oh, that’s a good idea. Can we get secretaries?”

“Would I still have to do paperwork?” There was so much paperwork. I didn’t think Luna had been kidding when she’d mentioned it but my house contained more parchment than furniture.

“Of course! Paperwork is fun! Oh wait, I’m thinking of polo.”

“Then what’s the point? Anyway, how was Manehattan?”

“It was great! I got to pretend I worked in a sweatshop! And Rarity found a key.”

“A key to what?”

“A lock, silly. What else would you use it for?”

“What lock?”

“I think his name is pronounced ‘Matlock’.”

It was tempting to facehoof hard enough to shoot my muzzle out the back of my skull, a merciful death. “No, what lock does the key fit?”

She tilted her head. “What key?”

“You said that Rarity found a key in Manehattan. What lock does that key fit?”

“Ohh, now I get it. You really need to be more specific sometimes, Gears. I don’t know what lock it fits in. That ruins the mystery. Speaking of mysteries, I need to go hide in one of Twilight’s bookshelves before it’s too late.”

“Alright. Tell her I said ‘hello’.” I wanted to join her and see how Twilight reacted to the surprise, but I was worse at hiding than a whale covered in sequins.

As she bounded off, I rubbed my forehead, though it never eased away the pain. I’d built up a healthy resistance to Pinkie-induced headaches, but sometimes she stocked armor-piercing insanity. It was about time for me to stop digging for the day anyway—there was a paperwork fort in need of a dining hall.

Three lefts and a right brought me to the surface. Diamond dogs had great instincts for building tunnels that wouldn't collapse, and with the reinforcement on the major ones, there was even less of a chance of a cave-in. I was proud to say I hadn’t gotten the slightest bit lost in two weeks, though a lot of that may have been because we’d finally finished marking all of the major tunnels and most of the minor ones. The occasional visitor still got lost, but that was to be expected with tourists.

As my eyes readjusted to the sunlight, I noticed Daring Do walking away from my front step. “Oi, Daring, I’m over here.” I waved as she turned my way and jumped into the air. Unfortunately, she once again wasn’t wearing her pith helmet.

It wasn’t long before she landed before me. “Hello, Sterling. How are you today?”

In serious need of a painkiller, but she didn’t need to know that. I gestured towards my home and started walking. “Not bad. What brings you here?”

“There’s been an… issue with our current mechanic.”

It took a moment for the name to surface. “Smoky Sparks?”

“Yes. He’s been missing for three weeks.” The stress in her voice was plain to see.

“Well, that would explain why they haven’t shown up yet. Why am I just hearing about this now?”

Daring sighed. “Because I’ve been too busy searching everywhere for a replacement.”

“They could have sent someone else. Or a letter. I’d even take a carrier pigeon. So you’re here because you found one?”

“No. I’m here because I didn’t find one. As of right now, the expedition does not have a mechanic available for training with thaumite.”

I nodded. It wasn’t too hard to see where this was going. “And you want me to sign up.”

“Yes.”

I let her into the house first. My home did a decent job of retaining heat, so it was a little cozy when we stepped inside. Maybe some of the paperwork could be used as insulation, but come winter, I’d need to use the wood-burning furnace. “Watch your step. I might have missed a couple thaumite chunks from last night.” It still hurt to step on pointy things if they jabbed the frog.

“Wow, even I don’t let the paperwork pile up that much.”

“I don’t let it pile up. This is just the stuff that’s not worth paying attention to.” The only reasonable explanation was that the mailbox pulled stuff from some sort of parallel junk-mail universe. My e-mail account back home had received less spam.

“Most just throw it out.”

“Yeah, but I’m entertaining myself with recycling. I get to be amused and save the environment.”

“Why would you need to save the environment? It’s doing fine last I checked.”

Oh, right. Silly Equestria and its low-tech, pollution-free cities. A little smog was part of a balanced diet. “Uh, it’s never too early to start?”

“Right, I’ll take your word for it. So, about the expedition…”

I shook my head. “I can’t be away for that long.”

“It’ll only be a few days. A week at most.”

A week was far better than the month I’d expected, but it just wasn’t worth it to be away that long. Sure, the pack would probably be fine, even if Pinkie wound up going off on an adventure with the rest of the Mane Six, but something was bound to come up. “I’m sorry, I can’t. Too much to do here.”

“I know. I wouldn’t be asking you if there were any other options, but most outright refused once they heard about the extreme cold.”

“I can’t imagine freezing to death would be a good selling point, but it’s not like I was going to design a pattern that barely worked.” Honestly, it was a little insulting that they’d even think that.

“The rest were either too busy or didn’t want to learn from you for various reasons. You didn’t make a lot of friends last time you were in Canterlot.”

“Are you saying this is my fault?”

“No, I’m saying an unusual amount of mechanics are paying attention to Canterlot’s upper class.”

Canterlot was still my least favorite city, and it seemed unwilling to redeem itself. “Can’t the expedition just wait until they find another mechanic? I’ll still teach them, but I really shouldn’t be going that far from my pack.”

“Launching at the planned date is incredibly important. Weren’t you informed that launch conditions won’t be this perfect again for eighty years?”

“No, no I wasn’t.” Yet again, there was crucial information that nobody had bothered to tell me. It was finals week all over again.

“The scheduled launch date is the only time that the cold will lessen long enough for us to slip through.”

“I can probably make the spell pattern survive any amount of cold.” Even after working on it for this long, it was a little weird to think of cold as anything other than the absence of heat.

“With how little of it we can recreate for testing, nobody wants to rely on the shield until they’re sure it can hold up to the cold at its weakest.”

“Zero faith.”

“More like reasonable caution. That’s why they don’t want to go anywhere without somebody to keep an eye on the thaumite.” Bunch of lightweights. “I’ll keep looking, but we’re running out of time. Anybody we find also has to be trained in arctic survival and proper airship procedures.”

“That’s more time I can’t spare.” And a course on airship procedures sounded really boring. Monotone history professor levels of boring.

“Like I said before, I wouldn’t be asking if there were other options. If we can’t launch on the scheduled date, it will be decades before we get another chance. You and I will probably be dead.”

Growing old as a pony instead of a human—that was an interesting thought. Then again, growing old was an interesting thought in the first place, as I’d already passed my personal life expectancy with a rude comment and a flippant gesture. How far would the pack get in my lifetime? How many spell patterns would I develop? What would I have for dinner? There were so many questions I wanted to see answered.

“Sterling?”

I cleared my thoughts by shaking my head. “Sorry, lost in thought. You know, I haven’t even finished the spell pattern yet. Wouldn’t all that training further cut into its development?”

“Yes. It wouldn’t be easy, but I am confident you will succeed.”

“Let me get this straight. You want me to finish designing the spell pattern, go through not one but two training courses, manage a pack of diamond dogs, and still have time to sleep and eat?” Not to mention Ponyville was about due for another “delay.” A lot of the workers weren’t native to the area and had a lot of trouble getting back on schedule after something as little as a timberwolf sighting, which I had completely missed because it had happened the one night I was out partying with Vinyl.

“Two months is plenty of time.”

“I still can’t afford to be away for a week.” Not with the sheer amount of conmen waiting for the chance to swoop in.

“And there’s no way you can leave instructions for that time?”

“Not unless I had some sort of instant-communication device.” I groaned and buried my face in my hooves. “Like the mailbox Discord gave me.” I felt bad for constantly doubting he was just being benevolent, but it was still too convenient. He had to have known something like this was going to happen, right?

“Discord gave you a mailbox?”

“Yep, for keeping him company. Also gave me a maid’s outfit… and I’m not sure why I told you that.”

Daring smirked. “What you do in the bedroom is your own business, though I’m always up for a good story.”

“Oh, shut up.”

“It sounds like your pack would be just fine for a week, and it’s not likely it’ll even last that long. Bring that mailbox—weird item, by the way, but I’ve seen far weirder—and you’ll be able to issue instructions as needed. I’d consider it a personal favor if you signed on. While you’re training, I’ll still look for somebody else to fill the position, but—”

“Yeah, yeah, you’re running out of time. I—I’ll think about it.” She’d raised a few good points, but leaving wasn’t an option.

Sending mail could work, but it wouldn’t be the same as actually saying what I wanted done. Like she’d said, Daring wouldn’t give up looking, but if she couldn’t find anyone and the expedition fell through, it’d be my fault. Well, it wouldn’t actually be my fault, but I’d sure as hell feel like it. The journey would get pushed back eighty years because I was unwilling to trust Pinkie and the rest of the pack to not implode without my presence.

Daring frowned but didn’t protest. “It’s a big decision, but I need an answer today. I’ll be in Ponyville all day. Find me there when you decide. I’ll show myself out.” Before I could say another word, she was gone, leaving me to think. The mailbox still made that annoying noise whenever it received a letter, but I barely paid attention to it anymore.

The cold wouldn’t be a risk once the pattern was finished—this wasn’t something that I’d even consider half-assing. The chance of the thaumite failing was almost negligible, but even I’d want an expert keeping an eye on it. Where the hell could Smoky Sparks have gone? My reputation couldn’t be that bad.

It took two hours of thinking before I realized I’d already made my decision. My leg ached the entire time, as I didn’t want the painkillers to influence my choice. Some weren’t going to be happy, but I had to do it. This was not how my day was supposed to go—it was supposed to be peaceful, just me, a painkiller or two, and Fort Kickass.

Daring Do looked out of place in Sugarcube Corner, her stern look clashing with the cozy decor. A cupcake sat on a small plate in front of her, and she stared at it as if expecting it to jump into her mouth of its own accord.

Mrs. Cake watched the scene worriedly, ready to take cover behind the counter if things got too weird. She always looked weary, like she was ready to slip into a coma the moment she was sure she’d get away with it. “Oh, Sterling, Pinkie isn’t here today. She said something about a trip with family, but I couldn’t understand most of it. Can I get you anything?”

“No thanks, Mrs. Cake. I won’t be here very long.” I sat across from Daring and debated taking the cupcake just so she’d stop staring. “It doesn’t do tricks, Daring.”

She glanced up at me before returning her gaze to the cupcake. “I’m trying to figure out why it’s so delicious. Have you come to a decision?”

My nod was shaky from the last-minute doubts, but I beat them down. “I’m in.”

Author's Note:

I'm sure you all saw this coming. It was a big choice, but once she'd given it some thought, it was more important that she go on the expedition. However, let's not forget the most important reason to send Gears on a trip to the north: she would look adorable in a parka.

Shorter chapter this time around, but this was important enough to get its own chapter. At least it's not another Canterlot chapter, eh? The time skips might be off-putting to some of you, but it's the better option for the stuff that deserves no more than a sentence or two.

Next chapter will likely be a bit longer and contain candy. On the subject of candy, Nov. 1 is the best holiday, because clearance Halloween candy tastes like regular Halloween candy.

Also, I am working on a secret project, though it won't be done for months at least. This will not have a large impact on my update speed for this story.