• Published 27th Sep 2013
  • 6,499 Views, 83 Comments

The Game of Thrones, Alicorn Style - RK_Striker_JK_5



Twilight's ascension causes problems with an old tradition between Celestia and Luna

  • ...
12
 83
 6,499

Chapter One

Celestia stood in front of Luna, her Sister, Princess of the Night. “We have a problem,” she intoned, voice thick with worry. She, Luna and Princess Cadance of the Crystal Empire stood in the Throne Room, seat of power for untold generations. Celestia glanced from side to side, her ethereal tail swishing around. “I knew when Twilight ascended, there'd be problems, but not like this!”

Cadance spoke up, gaining the elder alicorn's attention. “Is it that bad?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. “I'm off with Shiny in the Crystal Empire most of the time, anyway. Surely Twilight and I could rotate?”

Luna's eyes widened. Her body turned to blue mist, speeding to Cadance and reforming in front of her. “Do you know what you say?!” she shouted, voice not quite at the level of the Royal Canterlot Speaking voice, but still loud enough to cause Cadance to flinch and her ears to flatten against her skull.

Cadance licked her lips. “Is it... that important?” she asked, looking between Luna a half-foot from her muzzle and Celestia, standing by the Solar Throne. “I mean, I know you've been doing it for so long, but in the grand scheme of things, is it truly necessary for both Twilight and I to be at every single one?”

“Every single one what?”

All three alicorns occupying the throne room turned to the newest alicorn of Equestria, Twilight Sparkle. The purple-coated alicorn trotted in, her wings folded tight against her body and a bit of a jaunt to her gait. “Hi, everypony,” she said, slowly extending a wing and waving it. Twilight suddenly stopped. “Wait, is this bad?” She craned her head around to look at the feathery appendage. “Did I break some royal protocol? Was it some awful insult that will cause me to-”

Celestia was by Twilight's side in an instant, leaning down slightly and nuzzling her former student. “Hello, Twilight. It's good to see you again.” She looked back to Luna and Cadance and extended her wing to them, waggling it at them.

Luna and Cadance walked over to the pair. “Hello, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna said, bowing her head. “It is good to see you here.” Her eyes shifted to Celestia before she continued speaking, her expression dark. “There is something we need to discuss, something of vital importance.”

Twilight straightened up, swallowing at Luna's words. “What is it? Is it something to do with my duties? Is it some upcoming ceremony? Whatever it is, I can help!”

Celestia smiled and let out a breath. “I'm glad to hear this, Twilight.” She turned and began walking off, Twilight, Luna and Cadance following behind. “Although to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what you can do to help.”

Twilight bit her lip as the quartet approached the two thrones at the back of the room, one decked out in midnight-blue and the other sunlight-white. Celestia looked them over. “For as long as Luna and I have been alicorns, for even longer than we have ruled Equestria, there has been an ancient ritual, a... Game, if you will.” She spread her wings wide and the tip of her horn lit up. “The Game of Thrones!”

A gasp escaped Twilight. “The... Game of Thrones?' she repeated. Her head darted this way and that. “Oh, my! That sounds so... serious!” She trotted over to Celestia's front, looking up at the Diarch of the Sun. “Please, Celestia! What is this Game? I've never read about it, and trust me, I would've!”

Cadance let out a sigh. “It's not that big a deal,” she muttered.

Celestia snorted slightly and her mouth formed a thin line as she looked down at Twilight. “It was never written down anywhere, for only Luna and I ever took part in it.” She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, a moment too long...

“Is this some sort of complex political maneuvering to keep us all in check?” Twilight blurted out. “Are there ancient codes and rituals to learn? Is it a way to balance the day and night between the Diarchs, so neither would grow too powerful?” Very specific bits of her mane began springing up and her right eye developed a rather familiar tic to it. “But with Cadance and me here, the Game is more complex. There are now four sides to it!”

Cadance glared at Celestia for a second before trotting over to Twilight's side. “Twilight, remember the exercises?” She placed a hoof on her chest and inhaled deeply before blowing it out. “Repeat after me, Twiley. Let's get rid of those nerves, now!”

Twilight followed her former foalsitter's instructions, breathing in and out. She finally sighed and her entire body drooped. “Okay, sorry about that,” she said, blushing slightly. She focused on Celestia. “So Princess, what is the Game of Thrones?”

Celestia's wings spread out once more, but Cadance quickly spoke up. “Oh for the love of it, Aunt Celestia!” she blurted out, rolling her eyes. “It's musical chairs!”

Silence permeated the throne room for almost a minute. Celestia's cheeks turned crimson, while Luna's blushed violet. Twilight's eyes shifted between the three before she finally focused on Celestia. “What.”

Celestia hesitated for a moment. “Cadance is... right.” She looked back to the pair of thrones. “We were talking about musical chairs using the thrones.”

Twilight blinked. “Musical chairs, which is a game, and you're using the thrones – I get it!” she finally shouted, grinning. The grin quickly fell away. “Wait, I don't get it. What's the big deal?”

Cadance bit her lip, but her body betrayed the laughter bubbling up from within. “Oh, perfect!” She looked to Twilight and leaned in close. “I've been telling those two that for quite a while.”

Celestia snorted. “All right, all right.” She turned to the pair of thrones and began trotting up to them, Luna close behind. “When we were foals, one of the games Luna and I loved was musical chairs. When we matured and became the Diarchs, for a time we stopped. But one day we saw the thrones...” She trailed off as her gaze looked past the two ornate chairs, her eyes glistening slightly.

Luna wrapped a wing around her older sister and pulled her in for a hug. “When I became the Nightmare, Celestia apparently did not play musical chairs for quite some time. At least until Cadance came into her life.” She looked over her shoulder at Cadance and Twilight, motioning to them with a simple flick of her translucent mane.

The younger alicorns trotted up. “Celestia taught me the game,” Cadance said, continuing the story. “She also told me why it was so special to her. When you helped Luna, the third thing the pair did was an hour-long marathon of the game.” She nickered slightly. “The two were big foals all over again.”

Twilight's eyes slowly widened. “Even with Cadance here, you still had enough thrones for the game. But with me here...” She ducked her head. “Oh, but I don't have to be a part of it! Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I still live in Ponyville! There's no need for me to do this! I'm not even family!”

Cadance stared at her. “I fly in from the Crystal Empire for this, Twilight,” she said. "I don't have to, but... it does mean a lot.

Celestia slid out from Luna's wing and walked over to Twilight. She reached out with a hoof and raised Twilight's head. “My dear Twilight, thank you. But never think you're not able to participate in this. I've long wished for you to be able to partake in the Game.” She glanced to Cadance. “And with Shining Armor married to Cadance, that does technically make you family,” she finished, winking.

Twilight beamed at the Solar Diarch. “Thank you, Celestia.” She trotted around her and up to the two thrones. “So, you need another throne for this to really work? Not just any old chair?”

Luna nodded. “It would be best. We can't teleport Cadance's throne here. It would weaken the foundation of her own throne room and be far too taxing. Even for you.”

Twilight tapped her chin with a hoof before brightening. “I know just the three who can help!” Her horn brightened for an instant before she vanished.


Twilight paced back and forth before the three. “So, you're sure you know what to do?” She leaned in close. “I'm counting on you.”

Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo all leaned back. “CUTIE MARK CRUSADER THRONE BUILDERS, YAY!” they shouted before running off.

Twilight twisted her head around to watch them run out of the treehouse. “Perfect plan!” she said. “I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.”

Author's Note:

1. This is... yeah.

2. Again, Stryke.

3. I don't have any real intention to continue this. It's just... yeah.

4. I don't know if this is gonna be the only time I write Twilight as an alicorn... but it might be.

Comments ( 82 )

Fun little story!

Though honestly, I have to say, you've GOT to run with this. Because any plan involving the Cutie Mark Crusaders is A) A bad plan, and B) bound to be hilarious. Bring on more royal disaster!

...you're insane....


....I love your way of thinking, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo all leaned back. “CUTIE MARK CRUSADER THRONE BUILDERS, YAY!” they shouted before running off.

Twilight. What have you done. You've doomed us all.

You.

You let them.. you ENCOURAGED them - to build thrones.

I'll start running now and beat the rush to the bomb shelters.

Beautiful ending, just beautiful :scootangel:

Twilight what are you doing. :twilightoops:
Twilight no. :twilightangry2:
Twilight, stop. :facehoof:

Sweetie Pie and Scootaloo glared at Applebloom with more than a hint of jealousy. "Whaddya know," said the farm pony, "my special talent IS throne building! Anyone know where ah can find a few hunnert swords?"

... did you just write a post-Ascension story?

Still this is funny, just showing that the Sisters can be silly without trolling made my day. And yes I do agree with the others on the ending... Twilight for being the smartest mare in the room you can be a complete and utter dumbass.

:rainbowlaugh:

That was very funny! Even coming from you, RK!:trollestia:

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win, or you just wait until the game starts again. There is no middle ground.

Now if only A Song of Ice and Fire worked like this; it would have only made up one book!

On this story, this was funny as hell, and that ending... Oh dear, I can just imagine them building something like the Iron Throne, especially with all the pointy ends.

Dude, be careful. My GOT story got commented. Some guy said the author is against fanfiction based on his work, and may issue. A cease and dissist.

Oh, I thought she would summon Pinkie, the princess of party games.

3266156
If something like this isn't clear for use under parody exemption, I don't know what would be. It mentions the title to make a gag and that's it.

My only question now is how you systematically eliminate the chairs as the game goes on. I MUST KNOW.

What? That's all? But what happens next? Hilarious take on a Game of Thrones though. I rather like it.

I love silly little one shots! :pinkiehappy: One of my favorites is one about Celestia, Luna, and Cadance trying to change a light bulb. :trollestia: But this one is cool too. I could almost see this as part of your Hasbroverse stories. Young Megan teaching filly Celestia and Luna how to play musical chairs, and Danny suggesting they should use their thrones. Keep up the good work.

Can I make a sequel? :scootangel::trixieshiftleft::twilightsheepish:

Nice.

Also, seeing the results of the CMCTB would be delightfully hilarious.

(This is probably the closest I will ever come to the actual Game of Thrones...)

It's only now that I realized that Twilight is the only Princess without a throne :twilightoops:

PPS

Isn't this group far too small for a decent game of musical chairs? Especially when it was just two of them.

That warning would look a lot better under the "Read More"...

thanks god this isn't based on game of thrones... It's going to be painful to watch them die....

Good for a chuckle. If you ever do write a sequel it would be funny if the Princess's were discussing something like it was a major catastrophe (imagine Twilight talking like she'd always planned to betray Celestia or such) developing.....only to reveal their playing a game like RISK or Monopoly.

Comment posted by Classy Toad deleted Sep 28th, 2013

Twilight twisted her head around to watch them run out of the treehouse. “Perfect plan!” she said. “I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.”

How the hell are you the one getting all the views when i'm the one who's actually writing a serious homage to the books AND the show? I mean seriously, i'm six chapters in (Short ones) and there's a whole lot more political intrigue just from Discord voicing his concerns about the celestial sisters to Cadence!

I like your fic but please change the name to avoid comparison, or, something.

Fairly cute. Well done.

I, er... wha...? :derpyderp1:

Well that was unexpected. Simple but still got a chuckle out of me. :twilightsmile:

So... this is a Game of Thrones parody/crossover? Does that mean every mare's teats will be exposed, everypony ruts, and everypony dies? :rainbowlaugh:

3270584 The thing is, I've read Game of Ponies- and it needs work. Insulting another author for getting more views than you when you need to improve the grammar in your own story does not become a good writer.

3271780 I wasn't insulting you, the internet is bad at that. But what's wrong with my grammar?

3264181 Thanks, but honestly, I think it's gonna remain a one-shot. Beyond 'CMC screw up royally' :raritywink: there's not much more that can be done.

3264216 yes, i am insane. :derpytongue2: *Hands out newsletter* There you go. I brought you a letter! :derpyderp1:

3264443 But it made so much sense at the time! :twilightblush:

3265056 Good idea. beat the rush :rainbowlaugh:

3265081 Thanks, Stryke. You're to blame for this. Remember that. :p

3265172 Too late. The Throne is built. The tree sap flows.

3265862 Yes, I did. Wouldn't work otherwise. ;) And yes. For all her smarts Twilight can be rock-stupid on occasion.

3265880 lol, thanks.

3265937 I've heard it's a long series. That's about all the fully concrete info I have on the thing. And those Throne pics, too.

3266254 Compared to what she did, that would be cautious.

3266330 Thanks. Not sure if it can be called a 'take' on it. Beyond the title, got nothing in common.

3266331 Could you post a link to that one, please? Sounds good. And thank you. Sometimes you need a little cracky insanity.

3267165 Well... sure! I'd be honored. :twilightsmile:

3267287 Closest I'll ever get, too.

3267711 Watching Game of thrones, I'm guessing?

3267982 They managed. ;) Mostly they just ran around until collapsing in laughter.

3268251 I just wanted to make sure no one would come in with false or misinformed expectations.

3268265 Ouch! Yeah, good thing beyond the title there's no similarity.

3268683 *Snort* that could work as a second chapter.

3270584 ... No. I am not changing the name of this fic. And... there's no political intrigue here. So, yes. I guess you do have more!

3270965 Thank you.

3271237 Thank you. That's what I was aiming for, so cool. :)

3271875 When I originally looked at Game of Ponies, it was in need of work- the grammar seems to have been corrected since then. However, the chapters need improvement in the length department- In fact, what you've currently got would be a bit easier if you simply bundled them up into one first chapter, with the parts separated by asterisks, rather than 7 500 or so words chapters.

3272209
I know it wouldn't work otherwise, it's just you were so against the Ascension or at least seemed like when that episode happened. I was surprised to see you do a fic that had it happen, though considering you major fics take place before S3 it's understandable why it has been used.

3272269 I see, well if this were any other story I would have thousand word chapters, however. Game of Ponies is a very stylized, very specific kind of story telling and it gives me the freedom to write the chapters as short or as long as I need them to be.

That being said, I am still in the beginning stages of writing the story, introducing the characters, etc. But even if the chapters stay this short I will probably have made up for it in quantity of chapters, any, 250.

3270584

Because this story is just good fun. It's comedy that has little to nothing to do with Game of Throne. It's not meant to be anything great, and yet that's what helps make it great.

3280936 I wasn't bagging on this story, see my first comment "I like your fic but please change the name to avoid comparison, or, something." So yeah.

Also, Ice and Fire*

3284630

There's no reason to change the name. One is a comedy, the other isn't. The content should be the differentiator. Heck, there are multiple stories here with literally the same name.

3285927 I see your point, though I was trying to put more emphasis on the 'or something' part. I realize that it was a strange request to begin with.

But eh, would you mind reading Game of Ponies? I really need some input on it.

3286105

Alright, I'll put it on my read later list and .. well .... the name speaks for itself, I think.

3286209 Like, it's predictable?

3277585 If you're looking for an actual adaption of game of thrones, go check out my page.

3286224

I don't know, haven't read it yet. I was saying that the name "Read Later" tells you exactly what it means.

3286356 Kay, I wasn't really worried about that. Catch ya later though.

3265862 3272209 3272313 Wait, RK, an author I seriously respect and admire is also of the anti-twilicorn faction?

twilight.ponychan.net/chan/collab/src/130816690899.jpg

But seriously, this was a great fic. :pinkiehappy:

3885008
You now just figured that out? Well guess since RK hasn't done the usual thing and state the series is ruined forever and Twi will an mopey emo little... twit it isn't obvious

Login or register to comment