• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 15,923 Views, 1,262 Comments

My Little Denarians - Chengar Qordath



Harry Dresden must go to Equestria to stop an evil plot by the Order of the Blackened Denarius

  • ...
40
 1,262
 15,923

Epilogue

I woke up somewhere familiar. Michael Carpenter’s guest bedroom.

“Okay, this is a nice change of pace from the usual ice palace, Mab.” Considering how things had gone the last time I came within a hair’s breadth of ending up dead, it wasn’t hard to guess what happened when I heard a woman’s voice, and then there was darkness. I’d done what she wanted, and then Mab came to pick up her dog’s leash. Odds are she was put out with me for managing to bust myself up again on my first outing after she’d finished fixing me.

The voice that answered me ... wasn’t Mab’s. “We are not the Queen of Winter, though we do share some of her domain.”

I followed the voice back to its point of origin, and found, “Princess Luna?” I couldn’t help chuckling a bit at that. “Guess the cavalry turned up just in time after all.”

“So it would seem,” the Princess of the Night agreed regally. “You are fortunate—both thy life and the life of thy companion were upon the knife’s edge when I found thee.”

“Well, it wouldn’t have been exciting if it was too easy.” A quick check under the covers revealed that I wasn’t exactly in a fit state of dress to be entertaining royalty. Fortunately there was a fresh set of clothes sitting on the dresser by the bed. From the ridiculous levels of … there’s no other word for it, ‘bedazzlement’, I could only guess that it had been put together by Rarity or one of the younger Carpenter children. Given the ‘R’ shape of the stylized jewelry in place over the right breast, my money was on the former. I wonder where she found the jewels, though...

Wait a minute... if I was in new clothes... I suddenly hoped that those were the only jewels my rescuers had found. Though it was kinda too late for that where Rainbow Dash was concerned.

The clothes did remind me of some more important things. “What happened with the girls?” I took a quick look around the room, but as far as I could tell Luna was the only one here. I guess that was better than being mobbed by pastel-colored equines the instant I regained consciousness, but still...

“Discord is undone,” Luna confirmed for me. The giant rainbow kaboom happening in his general location had been a pretty clear sign that the ponies had nailed him with the Elements of Harmony, but it never hurt to get a little confirmation. “The others remained at thy bedside for as long as they could but when thou didst not regain consciousness for several days...”

“Wait, I’ve been out for how long?” I grabbed the pants, which thankfully proved to only have a moderately insane number of gem embellishments, and started putting them on under the covers.

“Almost a week’s time,” Luna informed me. “The others wished to remain at thy side, but the one called the Gatekeeper was insistent that they depart. The connection between our realm and thine is ... in a state of flux at the moment. ‘Tis unwise for too many of us to linger here overlong, lest things become even more chaotic.”

Damn. I kinda felt bad about not getting a chance to even say goodbye. Perhaps it was just as well. There would be tears and sobbing and promises that we would all be best friends forever, and the girls might get a little emotional too. “So ... how bad is this whole dimensional flux thing? Is this gonna be goodbye for good?”

“Neigh.” I let out a relieved breath—I will never admit it where someone else could overhear me, but it would’ve broken my heart to never see any of those ponies again. If for no other reason than the fact that I’d miss out on all the wonderful pony puns. ‘Neigh.’ Classic. And the best part was that she said it so ... straight-faced.

“This is not goodbye forever,” Luna assured me. “It is simply ... a very brief farewell.”

Then Luna was gone again. Not even a flash of light or disappearing into inky shadows or something. Just ... gone. Just like how you never knew how some being was going to appear when you summon them, you never knew how they would leave. Now that I think about it, for some reason, the whole conversation with Luna just felt a little ... fuzzy. Dream-like, almost.

I finished dressing, and walked out the door. I got all of two steps before I ran into Michael and Lash. Man, that must have been a nicely awkward introduction. ‘Hi there Mr. ex-Paladin, I’m an ex-Angel.’

Michael put one hand on my shoulder to help me keep my balance while his other shook mine warmly, like he was greeting a long-lost friend. Oh, wait. He was beaming at me, but didn’t say anything. He didn’t need to, the look on his face said it all.

“Good to be back.” I definitely didn’t sound as choked up as the climax of a chick-flick.

Lash interrupted our moment of guy-bonding. “It’s Saturday morning. My Little Pony will be on soon.”

I let out a very pained chuckle at that. “No offense, but I think it’s gonna be a while before I’m in the mood to watch the show again.”

Michael finally spoke. “She’s a fan.”

She? She who? Oh ... he meant... “Maggie?” Yup, definitely not getting choked up at all.

Michael nodded.

“Huh.”

I borrowed some salt from the kitchen, and made a quick circle around the couch. Yeah, we’d have to clean it up later, but vacuuming up the salt was a lot less trouble than letting my wizard-ness burn out Michael’s TV.

Then I settled down on the couch next to my daughter. My mouth was hanging half-open as I tried to think of what I could possibly say to her.

“Shh.” My little girl urged me. “It’s starting.”

So we sat on the couch, and watched My Little Pony together.

Comments ( 116 )

Holy hell, it's finally done!

Well, time for some acknowledgements. First off I'll toss a nod to Agayek, just for pre-reading this whole thing right from Chapter 1. That's no easy task.

Next up are Comma Kazie and Ponibius. Awesome pre-readers and editors who helped me out with more than one tricky scene. Plus they're pretty darn good writers on their own, so go check out their stuff.

Credit also goes to Infinion, who kept slogging through and pre-reading this thing even though he hasn't read the Dreseden books.

Finally, I guess I'll toss out an acknowledgement to everyone else who helped out, whether it was pointing something out in the comments or just reading and enjoying the fic (every up-vote and favorite counts). I won't say this is a perfect story ... but I think it had a pretty good run.

YAY!!!!

1816468
Holy hell indeed good sir.

EDIT: Daww.

A really good ending and it didn't feel like you did it solely to be only a good ending,

Looking forward to your next work.

So i hate to ask this because i'm sure you'll get a million of these, but will you give us a sequel?

Also nice ending although personally I'd prefer more I know how it feels when you just want to end something

What a ride it has been. Thank you.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COIN?! <--sequel hook?

MUST......READ......HARRY....DRESDEN......HUGE FAN.....UGH....:rainbowwild:-READS LIKE A MOFO-:rainbowwild:.......YES CAPS WAS NEEDED:rainbowhuh:

That sure was a fun ride. Good show sir :moustache:

Well, that was a good read. Does this mean that "The Life and Times of a Winning Pony" will be updated faster? Or will there another big fic in the near future?

Damn that was amazing, and bravo for not hitting the rest button to bring it in line with Cold Days and keep it going with the normal Dresden story, was kind of worried you would.

Overall, AMAZING this helped get me into the Dresden Files and couldn't be happier, they are amazing. really hope this isn't the end, this story deserves a Sequel.

*slow clap*

Nicely done, sir, nicely done. You quite deservedly receive all the Fluttershy.

:fluttercry::flutterrage::fluttershbad::fluttershyouch::fluttershysad::yay:

Best story I've read on this site.

A very cute epilogue indeed. Lovely way to end it!

Holy crap, was that a ride or what? I can honestly say that this has been my favorite story from this fandom so far, or at least in the top five. Jim Butcher has been my favorite author for a few years now, and you really did capture his style. I can't really explain that, but it just feels like a Dresden story.

Thank you so much for all the effort you put into bringing us this wonderful work of fiction, and I look forward to whatever you end up doing next.

Perhaps it was just as well. There would be tears and sobbing and promises that we would all be best friends forever, and the girls might get a little emotional too.

Gems like this are what make this such a delightful read. You've captured Harry's irreverent smartassery so well.

(applause) Another nice touch with Harry waking up in Michael's guest room ... again. At least Charity didn't start on him immediately. :facehoof:
All in all, one hell of a ride. Hope to see more, but I think I can console myself with the Winning pony's shenanigans. :trixieshiftright:
Nnnaaaaaaahhhhhhh, who am I kidding?:facehoof:

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, it was an excellent ending. Many feels were had.

On the other, it's over. Dresden's adventure in ponyland is over. This makes me very sad.

Kinda dissapointing the ending of what can be labelled as the best Dresden fimfic ever. I miss of course the battle between the Elements and Discord; the draconequus seemed kinda confident of his chances in the less-than-ideal human world, but the mares had been taking several lessons in the Dresden Path (Twilight specially has A LOT of motives to hit back Discord).
And of couse, the long term effects of soulification on the main cast plus Derpy; any possibility Twilight learned to do it as well, so they begging to share the "guift" to all of Equestria in time?

1816502, 1816787, 1816814
There are a couple vague plans for maybe taking a crack at a sequel some day, but for the moment the Winningverse is gonna be my priority. Still, there's always the possibility of starting something up once "The Life and Times of a Winning Pony" finishes its run.

1816567
The Lunar Rebellon fic will be starting before too long. I find that having two different projects running keeps me from having issues with writer's block. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to write one fic, so having another one to fall back on helps.

I enjoyed the entirety of this fic a great deal, and while sad to see it ending, I'm glad to see it ended so well. Thank you for the wonderful ride!

GREATEST ENDING EVER!!!!

1816468

You're quite welcome, bud. It's been a fun project to be a part of, and I'm glad I got the chance.

Chemistry? That pretty smart.

Quantum Physics? Thats pretty damn smart.

My Little Denari -

What a story, Mark. :pinkiecrazy: Thanks for absorbing whole hours of my time, and making all of it amazing. :moustache:

That has been quite the fantastic adventure you've written here!

Thank you and thanks to all that helped you along the way, it had been a blast!

I'm not familiar with the books, really only watched the TV series, but based on what I do know there should be plenty of references int he Dresden books. That being said at some point it might even be cannon that his daughter is a MLP:FIM fan. I mean she is in the target demographic so it only makes sense.

The only thing wrong with this ending is that Harry's daughter didn't get to meet the girls even briefly. This was and is a great story, and is probably the best Dresden fanfic I've ever read.:heart::heart::heart:

MLP ending is best ending. I hope one day we'll get a sequel. *hint* *hint* :pinkiehappy:

=3 Yay~

It's....it's over? :fluttercry:

This truly is a masterpiece of fanfiction, and I am glad to have read it.
Heavy Weapons Guy: "Chengar Qordath is credit to Fimfiction!"

Well, the epilogue was a little more of an abrupt end than I'd been hoping for, but the story has been amazingly fun. Thank you not only for the story itself, but also for getting me hooked on the Dresden Files! It'll always make me smile that I'll be able to look back on a collection of grimdark noir-fantasy and say "ponies brought me here". :twilightsmile:

You had Discord defeated....offscreen.

4.bp.blogspot.com/_QMFb0Mohl6w/S4YLDwlAi8I/AAAAAAAAAL8/Hdj4kFwfy6w/s320/RAAAAGE.png

Wasn't that kinda the big build up? I mean yeah, I expected there to be a fight between Dresden and Nicodemus, but I also expected there to be an actual climactic battle between the EoH and Discord and Nicky. Instead we get the Dresden fight thanks to Dicord and Nicodemus's simultaneous sudden but inevitable betrayals.

That ending was so full of feels.. I actually have a tear in my eye. No wait... Never mind it a pears to be raining outside.

1816468
I liked that ending more than the ending of "Changes" Seriously fuck that ending.

1816468 Will there be a sequel to this?

1818639
Possibly, but there are too many other things coming up for it to be in the immediate future.

Now that I think about it, for some reason, the whole conversation with Luna just felt a little ... fuzzy. Dream-like, almost.

Oh?

gotta say it was a bit abrupt of an ending.

This ending... Leaves me with mixed feelings. Perfect? Hardly. Great? Yes much so. Flawed? I would say. Many things were left unsaid that I felt should have been. Am I planning on going on a long message about it? No because while this might be bothering me, the story was still well done. Chengar has done an amazing job with this story and it deserves the likes it gets. I just have to say even if it is against what I believe readers should do that questions that I believe needed answering didn't get those answers. A sequel would be a joy to read soon but time can pass and all us readers should be able to understand that.

Hats off to you Chengar for an entertaining read that kept me hooked for hours on end,

Wow, this has been quite the ride. I have to thank this story for getting me into the Dresden Files. So not only did I read a great story here, I got introduced to a whole slew of great books, and the other Dresden Files/MLF crossover here on the site.

Somehow you managed to take the mystery/horror/action/pulp/noir Dresden File and cross it over with candy colored equines and make it really work and great quite the little epic. So bravo. It made me laugh, cry, scream in frustration, and all the other plurality of emotions both crossovers normally give me, so good work.

I’ve enjoyed helping with this story. It helped me get into writing my own stories, so it will hold a special place in my heart for multiple reasons.

1818558
Honestly, there's really not much to do with an EoH v. Dissy fight scene, unless there's a plot element making things difficult (like in the actual canon encounter, where [ a ] Dissy hid the Elements, then [ b ] Discorded everypony to make the Tactical Rainbow Strike fail). That sort of setback would just be dragging the story out longer than it needs to be, so the EoH vs. Dissy scene would really just be fluff describing the rainbow up close, rather than leaving it as a dramatic release at the end of the Nicky fight.



I do want to see a sequel touching on the soulification of the ponies, though. I want to see the ponies go off-script while Harry and Maggie are watching together! :raritystarry:

1818726
And in the possible squeal Luna and Mab are BFFs, and get into shouting competitions, talk about night, eat some curry, mess with Harry, prank Celestia/Titania. Okay, so it's more of a one-shot, but still. And what would pony-Mab look like?

Best ending? Best ending. Talking the villain to death (or at least to a point where you can noosetie him) and watching ponies with your daughter. Harry's in a good place at the moment. Mab's probably going to ruin that, but this is a very nice scene to end on. Thank you for a crossover so good, I didn't even have to be familiar with one of the principle elements.

Also, shame on you for not showing Fluttershy using a Thu'um on Discord. :yay:

1816128 how much does it cost?

wiseassery, wiseassery everywhere!

1819264
Free will letting the ponies go off-script would certainly explain this.

1816468 But what about Zoidberg?! (v)(;,,;)(v)

1827993
Nobody cares about Zoidberg. Or Spike.

1828036
I suppose Zervziel can get a little credit, though.

Comment posted by Zervziel deleted Dec 28th, 2012

Finally having caught up on your lovely story here, M. Qordath, I must say the ending was beautiful. I really enjoyed the entire journey and you did a fantastic job with the characters of both MLP and the Dresden series. I haven't read the latest official book, but when I do I know that I will have a difficult time differentiating canon from my revised headcanon thanks to you.
So yeah, I really cannot say enoigh about the ending--magnificent. Dresden sharing in ponies with his little girl brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.

This. Story introduced me to Jim Butcher's works, and its nice to see I'm not alone. Thank you for an incredible story, and I think mr Butcher should thank you too for getting me to shell out money for his novels.

In fact, I feel bad for not paying anything for the privilege of reading this. Do you have a PayPal or something? Because I feel awful for reading something this good and not paying for it.

Login or register to comment