• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 51,610 Views, 6,890 Comments

Five Score, Divided by Four - TwistedSpectrum



As a fan of the show, I always loved Rainbow Dash and her cutie mark, but I never wanted it to appear on my leg! Now that it has, all sorts of things are getting weird around here. I'm a guy, not a mare! Cartoon ponies aren't real... right?

  • ...
212
 6,890
 51,610

~~Author's closing words & acknowledgements

That right there is where this story all started. The episode that most people hated: Magical Mystery Cure.

When I watched that episode I was utterly blown away. But not by the alicorn stuff, nah, I was just fascinated by the first half the episode. I mean look the ramifications there! Dash gets Fluttershy's cutie mark and it forces her to live Fluttershy's life! And Rarity becomes a weather pony just because she has Dash's mark! What would have happened if Twilight didn't change them back, would Rarity have lost her horn and grown wings overnight so she could fulfill her cutie mark's destiny and be a weather pony? Or wait! what if a human got one of their cutie marks...? Would they be forced to become that pony to fulfill the cutie mark's destiny...?

Anyway, I had this idea and I just sat back and waited for someone else to write a fic about something like that. I mean, I certainly wasn't going to write it. Come on, this guy? Writing a fanfic? Haha, dream on universe. I hate writing and I wouldn't write a fanfic if my life depended on it. Anyway, surely someone else will write a fic about the cutie marks swapping, right? But alas, the weeks passed and all anyone seemed to write about at the time was Alicorn Twilight. I never found a single story about the ponies being stuck with the wrong cutie marks and their bodies transforming to fit their new lives. Damn, that was a really tantalizing story idea too.

So, a few more weeks passed and I was browsing the /mlp/ board one day last March. Then I saw something, they have an entire thread about pony transformation stories? Oooo, sounds tempting! I've always loved TF stories. I mean really, for literally as long as I can remember I've been drawn to them. Human to animal, animal to human, guy to girl, anything involving magical transformations I loved. So, anyway, I skimmed the thread and found some fantastic little clop stories here and there. However, after a few days I ran out of content. Damn. Why aren't there any long clop stories about pony transformations? And why are all the stories here incomplete? Bah, if I was an author I wouldn't stop updating until the story was done. And what's up with these authors that take >2 months to release one tiny update!? What the hell, I'd release updates every week if I had a story, sheesh...

In any case, since I was out of new transformation stories to read I started sharing my cutie mark idea on the thread to try and get someone else to write it. Everyone seemed to like the idea, but no one really seemed to care about writing. I didn't blame them, after all, I certainly wasn't going to write it either. I mean writing it myself would be... err....

Hmmm... I could do it the way I wanted....

When I started the first chapter, I was honestly only writing for an audience of like 10 people. But then a few chapters later, well... you all know the rest. Long story short, this has all been a wild ride and I'd never dreamed the story would even get a fraction of the success it got.

That's really all you guys though, you all seemed to love it so I kept writing. I originally wanted to finish the story after 30k words or so, but there was just so much excitement in the comments that I didn't want it see it end. And then lots of you then started to write side fics for it! That came totally out of left field for me. I'd never written anything before, and then all of a sudden you all turn my first story into this hub with it's own universe and everything... gah, I love all of you guys, come here!

But really, truthfully now, I want to thank you all for liking this fic and being so enthusiastic about it all. Like all internet dezains, I've always wanted that glimmer of internet fame. You all probably know what I mean. To be able to just enter a new chat room somewhere or make a post on a forum somewhere, and then see people randomly recognize my name. It's a crazy feeling, and this story let me have a taste of what that is like. Anyway, it's a small thing and I know that no fame lasts, but I'll never forget what it felt like to finally be that "somebody" in the vast anonymous halls of the internet. So to all of you, thanks for giving me that little taste. Now I can settle down knowing that I, ever so briefly, felt it.


Anyway, that's more than enough of my personal commentary that no one asked for, so here's something a lot of you did ask about: Will there be a physical book for sale?

Yes, there will be! Just not quite yet, give me a month or so for finals to get over with. But this summer I will begin the process of turning it into a printed book. The printed copy will probably be the PG-13 version, and I'll probably sell them at cost. Stay tuned to my fimfic blog, I'll release updates on how that's all going to work sometime this summer.


Final acknowledgements:

Everyone that wrote a side fic. Seriously, you don't know how much I love you guys. <3

Head editor:
Scrub. He lost countless hours of sleep rewriting much of my ramblings.

Mainstay proofreaders:
If you think my chapters have a lot of errors when they are published, you don't wanna know what these poor men have seen.
- Rustle my Jimmies
- Kaidan

Secondary revision proofreaders.
My chapters get published full of errors, and these people have sent me PMs with detailed fixes for multiple chapters.
- Elight
- Comrade Sparkle
- Healthbar
- Dogman15

Countless others have helped my by posting errors in the comments sections, and I sincerely thank all of you. You all know who you are, and you've all helped make the story better for those who read it after you.

Artists
- Sokolas. The artwork isn't technically Five Score fan art, but it's been my cover art since day one. Thanks for making a picture that just screamed to me "Human looking into a mirror and being shocked at their pony reflection"
- Shurikart I love this guy! He did over half a dozen Five Score pieces! Seriously, check him out, he's such a bro.
- Fruitbloodmilkshake / GreenPony32. Truly an epic picture showing the final scene of the main story line. GreenPony32 commission it from fruitbloodmilkshake, and I've been staring at the result ever since.
- Sugarush13 Inspired by some of the other art, Sugarrush decided to contribute her own art for the scene of Dash falling from the sky during the first Discord battle 25 years ago.
- littletea10 She only made one fan art for Five Score, but it really stood out to me. I love her Twilight and Shining.
- Forgemaster18. A touch more risqué showing some "horsey hips", but an memorable bit of fan art at that.



Well, that's the end of the credits, so I guess that just about sums it up everyone. Not much else to say, just be sure to give the story a thumbs up if you liked it. Thanks for reading everything, and thanks for sticking with the story to the end. Hopefully, you'll have learned something along the way, and I hope the story leaves you feeling differently about the world. So long everyone.

Special thanks
- Rainbow Dash
I did feel a bit inspired to write the whole 'humans with pony traits' things because of Dash here. It's strange really. Ever since I was a kid I could always predict the weather perfectly, and these past few days my friends have even slipped and called me her name. Huh, strange. Anyway, I'm headed out guys, thanks for reading the story everyone.

Gah, my upper thigh is itchy for some reason, I better go take a shower or something...

Author's Note:

The End.

Comments ( 458 )
Comment posted by TwistedSpectrum deleted Apr 28th, 2014

It's been a hell of a ride reading this man. Great job, and I hope to see more from you in the future!

Congratulations, your fic has literally been read for half of a lifetime by others.

Someone get that Orson Wells slow clap .gif up in here. This story deserves it.

No, I can't take it. Please don't do this to me...

And what's up with these authors that take >2 months to release one tiny update!? What the hell, I'd release updates every week if I had a story, sheesh...

Yeah! How annoying! :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::rainbowlaugh: I remember when I posted my fourth or fifth chapter and I was so apologetic in my author notes that it took me a whole TWO WEEKS to post it rather than the one week of the prior chapters. Flash forward almost a year and I've gone four month periods with no posts. I have become that which I professed my hatred for, that which I swore I never would. Oh well. "SOON(tm)" is technically a time frame, right? Anyway, I look forward to all of your future ventures, Twisted.

4303517

It is a bit chilling to see that. :fluttershysad: It makes me sad that this ride has ended, but it was a great one.

Good luck living up to this one in your next fic. I have no idea how you'll do it, but I'll be there to watch you try. :pinkiehappy:

ETA: OMG I just noticed this:

Yes, there will be! Just not quite yet, give me a month or so for finals to get over with. But this summer I will begin the process of turning it into a printed book.

quickmeme.com/img/b2/b2b30e3b223cd607af68b5707e91897351bb4722b950fa526c7703a2f976938f.jpg

So what exactly happened to Sunset Shimmer? Was she one of the ponies turned to stone that Gilda found?

Hm. That ending... Was magnificent. Been following this fic since it first started(or close to it, I can't remember) and the entire time I thought:
"I don't want to get off TwistedSpectrum's wild ride"

But sadly, the ride ended, unlike Mr. Bones's... But that's a good thing. Everything has to end sometime, y'know?

One of the greats comes to a close. Massive rounds of applause for making it to the end intact.

In any case, since I was out of new transformation stories to read I started sharing my cutie mark idea on the thread to try and get someone else to write it. Everyone seemed to like the idea, but no one really seemed to care about writing. I didn't blame them, after all, I certainly wasn't going to write it either. I mean writing it myself would be... err....

Hmmm... I could do it the way I wanted....

Thank you, simply for thinking like this.

Well, if it didn't end, it would have grown stale, tiresome, and all of those other negative-sounding adjectives.
...
(What he means to say is that you were great!)
Wait, didn't I say that?
(Hardly.)
Oops. YOU WERE GREAT!

And thus ended the first chapter of the clopscapades of TwistedSpectrum. What story will he make up next! :twilightblush:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Can't say I'll be hanging up this diamond in the rough in a frame on my wall or anything, but I stuck around from the start through the end, and this story has definitely left it's mark. No. You've left your mark TwistedSpectrum. Congratulations!

Sup

I enjoy how you share your rise from average joe fimfiction reader, to the most popular author in one year. It shows the true nature of this site, that anyone can become famous in a community of love, tolerance, and all the other lovey-dovey shit. But still congratulations on finishing this masterpiece

Heh, sounds a little like Kkat's story when she started Fallout: Equstria. Just started writing a story with a couple friends reading it, then- Oh my god where did all these fans and side-fics come from!?

Kinda inspiring, actually. I also have a few story ideas but I felt I wasn't the guy to write them. Summer's starting, why not give it a shot?

I'm also a big transformation fan. Transformation isn't really related to any of the story ideas I have, but I felt I'd throw that out there. Dunno why.

Congratulations.

A truly fantastic fanfiction, absolutely well done and I definitely appreciate the work you've put into this :)
Do gotta ask though, don't you need Hasbro's permission to get any money for this?

4303755
Nope. Pretty sure it was intended to be "he". Thiiink abooout iiiit.... HINT HINT. :yay: Do we know of anyone who's been turned into a regular horse?

Comment posted by Von Snootingham deleted Apr 28th, 2014

It's been a fun ride reading this fic and impatiently anxiously awaiting each new installment.
It was the compelling nature of your masterwork that inspired me to write my side fic, so to you the thanks are in order. :twilightsheepish:
I hope you continue to write and I'll continue to read. :twilightsmile:

It's over man, all over. Now what am I going to look forward to? :raritycry:

Joking aside, thank you for the ride Twisted!

this was a very interesting story to read though i skipped a chapter or 2 every once in a while but other than that it was a good story that i plan to re-read from the beginning when i have the time which i guess i have all the time i need right now to read it

I just have one Question regarding the concept: shouldn't the 'Alternate Universe' tag be applied here? You know since this is basically striving far out from the original 'World of MLP'. In this piece, we do not only have ponies thinking about the world of humans, like when they were dimensional hopping in some other stories I've read, but instead we have Ponies turned human/switched gender and then turned pony again/switched gender again. Their Memories of their human lives are fused and mushed together with their prior pony lives, as they may retain certian aspects of their original 'pony conscience' and traits, they are now fundamentally different characters thanks to their reincarnations. And this doesn't just concern one or two ponies, but the whole lot of them.
In addition to that we have the EQG mirror portal avaliable in the human world connecting the pony world. The movie is a spinoff from the series, so basically also an alternate universe, and not part of the series canon. "There is no mirror in the series".

I know some may argue now, "well if it's just the little magical mirror detail that makes this an 'alternate universe', then why not make every single fic featuring HiE also an alternate universe? After all the randomly dropping humans in equestria certainly aren't part of the 'canon world'."

I may even agree on that, as I also believe in the multiverse's vastness, so for me every story that deviates to a small degree from the canon, would count as an alternate reality.
(and I honestly know few stories that keep 100% to the conceptionals of the canon, though that could just be me... besides the thought that they are all alternate universes just sits better with your soul, especially after reading something like "cupcakes".)
But if we were to use the 'Alternate Universe' tag on almost every story, it would make it kind of pointless obviously.
I rate the 'Alternate Universe' tag as something like the following:

1. Characters musst be different, fundamentally, mentally, or heavily superficial.
2. The 'start setting' for the ponies is a different world, than the canon equestria, right from the start (in this case earth).
3. Main story and plot elements, essentially for the original story of FiM, are getting changed (in this case marrige between Shiny and Rarity).

Not to mention that thanks to the whole transdimensionalgenderraceswapreincarnationwhilestillretainingpastmemories made some ponies stay on earth.
Without spoiling season four, I can tell for certain, that some main story elements there can't even happen in this world anymore.

Some may say: "but they are still the originals from the series", but that's just it, they basically aren't, as they are entirely different poeple now. Two lives of different species and genders mushed into one body.

So I guess it is mainly that I would request the tag added, because the characters are changed fundamentally, since the beginning of the story no less and change further till the end. Enemys are not enemys, like Chrysalis for example, and they share from the start, thanks to the conscious fusion, different world perspectives.
Together with the fact that literally every equestrian, and none equestrian in Chrysalis's case, was thrown into another world, changed forcefully to live another humans life with all their original memories and such remaining or just being blocked out, should be reason enough to tag this story with Alternate Universe.

... also genderswap plus species change, both at the same time, is some (pardon me) brainfuck that would never even be considered put into the original story of FiM.

So without making this sound to much like a demand, my original question: "WAI THIZ NU ALTERNATE UNIVERSE TAG?

Aside from that congratulations for finishing this great piece of greatness.:rainbowkiss:

That right there is where this story all started. The episode that most people hated: Magical Mystery Cure.

Dude, that episode is my absolute favourite!!!

Bravo, I say man.... Bravo... I hope this becomes a movie! Or a Mini Movie like My Little Dashie the short film. (Damn that made me cry) Twisted Spectrum, you are amazing! One more thing.... What's a proofreader?

So long... and thanks for all the fish pony.

1.bp.blogspot.com/-wGd2NtdnflY/UQ5C3j9bXOI/AAAAAAAAI9U/ErAkjFd5KBY/s1600/citizen-kane-clapping.jpg
Wow. The story that got me hooked onto fimfic, finally finished. It's been a fun ride. Hope to see more from you again.
-Evan

It's been one hell of a ride. Thank you.

I know this is just your "author's notes", but I still want to point out an error.
"this hub with it's own universe" should be "this hub with its own universe".

I think the word you're looking for is "denizens", not "dezains".

Oh awesome. A metion in the "secondary revision proofreaders". I'm honored. Sorry I make the corrections public, but that's just my style.

YAY, I FINISHED. Great job! I don't really have anything else to say, so sorry. I enjoyed the story.

And thus ends one of the best TF fic's i have ever read.

That line at the end there. I wish that would happen to all those who want it, along with what logically comes after that.

I liked this story although I think it got a little bit too complex after the fairly simple start. Not that there's anything wrong with a complex story but I came expecting a story with humans transforming into ponies with some clop on the side, but what I got was this huge, ambitious adventure story. Also the mature version seemed kinda pointless after the first half. Anyways, a good read and I hope you continue writing in the future.

Ah the bittersweet end of it all. I remember finding this when it was just starting and I decided to follow it because it was new, refreshing, and such an original concept. Little did we all know, it was going to be quite the big thing. So big there's a ban on it! :pinkiehappy: (And yet nothing about the human to Equestria, in a costume, weird :rainbowhuh:) Never did I think it was going to have this big a storyline, the plot, the twists, and ol' meanie pants Discord.

Never stop being awesome and don't think that people will forget this anytime soon. Geez, I don't even think I could if I tried. Its been one hell of a ride, but its one I'm glad I was here for. :twilightsmile:
aliciabenton.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/being-awesome-team-awesome-30911867-492-4321.jpg

:pinkiegasp: Ohmigod its over! Aaaaaahh! :pinkiegasp:

nicely done it kept me hooked and wanting more all the way to the end but now that it is over im sad to see the end. but it was an epic ride to the end.:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::rainbowwild:

This was such an awesome flippin' story and it's pretty depressing to see it end. :fluttercry: but even the sun sets in paradise... :pinkiesmile:

*slow clap* (cuz someone's gotta start it.)

It's a pity the fic has come to and end but it's a joy for it to finish, May there be a sequel or another good fic to come! Oh i'm so emotional this is ending :pinkiesad2::fluttercry:

Well this officially closes the longest, most anticipated (in terms of waiting for chapters) story i have read to date on this site, the story was captivating from the very start and the detail was incredible. I honestly don't know if i'll come across another story as well written as this one in the future and it saddens me that i will no longer have the excuse to procrastinate when working by coming here and checking for an update. But at the same time i'm filled with joy, to see the response you so deserve for this literiture, my advice? ... Publish it... no seriously.:heart:

4303880
Actually, this does not rate the AU tag. The key concept of the alternate universe tag is that the story cannot be reconciled with canon.

This entire story occurs after the events in the show, just continued with a 'what if'. Everything in the show happened in the fic, so it shares the same continuity and thus no AU tag.

Bravo! It was a helluva ride while it lasted.

welp looks like its over.:fluttercry::raritydespair:
On to see if there will be another great fiction to read.:fluttershysad:
Its time for some more fimfiction story serfing.:derpytongue2:

I-I-It's... over? :fluttercry: Awwwww.... It's been really fun while it lasted, but I guess now this opens you up to a whole new world of fics to write now that you don't have to update five score anymore. :pinkiehappy: Thank you for the great read!

Oh my god it's over..... what do I do with my life? O.o

Anyway, that was pretty bloody amazing... the whole lot of it. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou :D :D :D :D

thanks for the story, I enjoyed reading it. :twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

And so it closes... I'm sad to see 5S/4 end, but it was coming eventually. I do hope to see more stories of this calibre, Master Twisted. After all, one can never write something this good without having something planned to follow it... right?

Once again, though, amazing story, and I'm sad that it's over with.

4304350
I see... then again I usally rate every single story I see an alternate universe.
I mean think about cupcakes... Would you like cupcakes to happen in the regular canon? I don't think so:pinkiesick:.
Most of the cupcake stories I've seen implied a evil dark past story about pinkie pie, so she could turn out the psycho later shown in the fic. That fact that Pinkie had such a screwed up past, is reason enough for me to look at that story as an alternate universe.
Because as I meantioned, 'what ifs' are things that make up alternate universes. They are the key for the many breakpoints and alterations that could/would occur in the multiverse. 'What if's' basically make out the definition of the multiverse.

Example:
What if Pinkie Pie had a past that made her a Psychopathic killer after Discord was beaten >> It happens/happened in an alternate universe.
What if a human came to equestria when the elements of harmony were first used? >> It happens/happened in an alternate universe.
What if Chrysalis confessed her love to Cadence at the royal wedding? >> It happens/happened in another universe.
Also...
What if the ponies were brought to earth at some point, got brainwashed and lived their lives as humans while being the opposite gender.
>> guess what...

That's why I practically recognize all stories as unique alternative universes.
But I can see that the tag here on fimfiction is meant for really special odd-world cases, like "Fallout Equestria" for example.

Nevertheless, there are some people, who write stories with 'humanized ponies' in equestria, yet all the events that took place in said equestria were just the same as in the canon.
Still they tag their stories as Alternate Universe, which I then don't understand because they are the same, they lived the same, but they are humans instead of equines. Change of species, a small detail changed and it is Alternate Universe tag time for those writers.

My final oppinion on this? Just delete the Alternate Universe tag entirely.:applejackconfused:

I've once worded my appreciation for this fic, doing it again would just be a repeat, with slight alterations.

But, seeing it all come to end, to a balance, equlibrium, closure, whichever might be your forté... It's been a great ride, and for that, I thank you again.

Congratulations on you achievements! You deserve them after all this hard work.
:twilightsmile:
M

You know, this was one helluva ride, but DAYUM was it fun. I usually don't like Evil-Cord stories, but this one takes the ****ing cake, man. Especially the Rainnuke ending? Classic. You did a good job on this, my friend. Glad I stuck with you.

Login or register to comment