• Published 15th May 2018
  • 2,679 Views, 29 Comments

Fruits of Labor - Bookish Delight



Working with fruit was always Applejack's calling. It's the customers she's not always sure about.

  • ...
1
 29
 2,679

Friendship à la mode

Applejack plopped another blender cup into a bin full of soapy cleaning solution, and scrubbed more blender lids while said solution soaked away dirt and impurities from the cups. She hummed a little song to herself as she scrubbed—a light, airy song that was reflective of just how content she was with life in general.

Working at the Canterlot Mall Juice Stop had been enjoyable for her from day one—it was a lot like making cider at Sweet Apple Acres, only with a lot more order to it, much better tech, and far more supply. Business had really started booming, however, once she'd taken a chance and bucked tradition, going beyond the pre-made recipes handed down to her by corporate.

Mixing and matching fruits, vegetables, and overall flavors had, in hindsight, probably been dangerous for a recently-hired juice server to try, but now she had the ear of corporate, who promptly offered compensation for each new popular drink she managed to invent.

Upon hearing Twilight Sparkle explain to her just what the word "compensation" meant in a corporate context, she happily accepted. It was uncanny—when she'd first taken up this job, she'd just wanted some spare cash to buy a few fix-ups for the family barn, and maybe a new dress. But now she had enough money for those barn fixups and five new dresses, and had something amazing to put on her college portfolio besides!

Even so, achievements and corporate notice didn't exclude Applejack from her daily stated duties, and that meant cleaning the juicers and blenders when they needed cleaning. Which was just fine with her. It was so fine with her that she didn't hear her name being called until it happened for the fifth time.

"Ap-ple-jaaaaaack!"

Applejack looked over to see a bright yellow girl with rich red hair, wearing another Juice Stop uniform. Strawberry Sunrise was one of her more recent coworkers, and even Applejack had been surprised at just how fast the two hit it off after the latter had been hired. When the two of them were on shift together, the hours usually flew by so fast it was a wonder anything approaching 'work' ever got done.

"Whoa! Sorry, Sunrise." Applejack chuckled sheepishly. "What seems to be the problem?"

"Yeah, so, there's, like, some crazy girl at the counter who keeps asking for you by name. And asking. And asking. And not stopping." Strawberry clutched her head with both hands.

"Huh?" Applejack said, pointing to herself. "You mean, me by name me?"

"Yeah!" Strawberry rolled her eyes. "I've been telling her you're busy, because, well, you are, but she just won't take no for an answer! Says she won't order from anyone but you! It's like she's obsessed with you or something." Strawberry mock-scoffed. "I think I'm jealous."

Applejack grinned. "Probably just one of my friends from school," she said. "I do have a few recipes tailor-made to their specific likes. Rarity in particular just will not have anything from this place unless I mix up some strawberries, blueberries, and kale just so."

"Okay, then. Wanna switch up?" Strawberry asked.

"Works for me," Applejack said, prompting the two to grab fresh aprons and gloves, and for Strawberry to take her place at the cleaning bins. "Got half the blenders done, though a few are still soaking. I, uh, only just got started on the lids."

Strawberry "pfft"ed. "You always leave them for last, too, huh?"

"C'mon! Food bits in them things're more evil than flies hoverin' 'round window pies!" Applejack said.

Strawberry giggled and pointed. "I knew it! I'm not gonna touch 'em, either!" she sing-songed, with a playful grin.

"Someone has to scrub 'em, though," Applejack said, laughing. "If you ain't, then I sure ain't."

"Fine!" Strawberry teased. "We'll both run out of juicers and blenders, have to close up shop, and get fired on the same day." She crossed her arms, and looked away with dramatic haughtiness. "Hmph."

Applejack chuckled again, and wrapped her arm around Strawberry's shoulder. "All right, all right. We scrub only as many as we need to now, and during end-of-shift cleanup, we'll tackle all of 'em together. How about it?"

"Yeah." Strawberry closed her eyes with a smile. "Together sounds nice."

"See?" Applejack said. "Problem solvin' at work."

"As usual from AJ." Strawberry nodded towards the door which led to the store's booth. "Think you can solve the problem out there?"

Applejack donned her new apron and gloves. "I'll give it my best shot."

Strawberry waved Applejack off with a soapy gloved hand, as the latter headed out to the customer service counter. "All right, how can I help—" was as far as she got before another boisterous voice immediately overpowered her.

"Applejack!"

Applejack stopped short, holding her ears. The world really needed to stop yelling her name in italics today.

She focused her vision and found herself looking directly at a platinum-blonde blue-skinned girl, wearing a blue sweater-vest, and a desperate scowl. Within seconds, Applejack knew, and lamented, just who she was dealing with. Her earlier assertion had been half right, at least.

"I knew you worked here," the girl went on, pointing a finger skyward. "The Great and Powerful Trrrrrrrixieeee requires assistance from someone she can actually trust!"

"Whaddaya mean, 'trust'?" Applejack said as she watched Trixie examine her raised nails. "This is a juice bar. We serve juice. Anyone here can do it. What was so wrong with Strawberry that she couldn't serve you?"

"Hmph! What wasn't wrong with her?" Trixie shot back. "Trixie looked into her eyes and saw nothing but vapidity! A lack of basic knowledge everyone should possess."

Applejack shook her head. "Uh, Strawberry's plenty smart. Heck, she's got better grades than me at her school." She chuckled. "'Fraid you're gonna have to do better than that, sister."

"What I mean is that, when the Great and Powerful Trixie told this 'Strawberry Sunrise' just who Trixie was, to her face? When Trixie bestowed upon her the benevolent honor of regaling her with tales of Trixie's unimaginable exploits? All she did was shrug!" Trixie leaned over the counter, getting in Applejack's face. "A classic case of pearls before swine! Can you believe the nerve? I've had students at school put in detention for less!" She paused, then added, "Or I would if Vice Principal Luna would simply take my publicity petitions seriously."

Pushing down her annoyance at Trixie likening her newest friend to a hog, Applejack rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Right. Is this, uh, goin' somewhere?" She checked to see if there was a line behind Trixie, to have a reason to mercifully shuffle the magician along, but alas, rush hour had just ended, and the booth was otherwise empty. Trixie had Applejack's undivided attention. "Anywhere at all?"

"Trixie's point is that she refuses to deal with the uninformed and oblivious," Trixie said, crossing her arms as well. "But, Trixie knows that her reputation precedes her when it comes to you."

Applejack sighed. "Yeah, for worse and worse. Look, are you here to order something?"

Trixie nodded.

"Then I'll get you something. Whatcha need?"

"Excellent," Trixie said, slamming her hands on the table, and leaning forward again. "Trixie requires the strongest thing you have."

Applejack blinked. "Uh... say what?"

"You are a 'drink stand', aren't you?" Trixie said in indignation. "Trixie requires a drink powerful enough to make her forget her troubles!"

Even though Trixie was technically the only customer around, Applejack looked around to make sure they weren't heard in any nearby crowds. "You, uh, sure we shouldn't be having this conversation three or four years from now? We just do juice here," she hissed.

"Of course you do, that's why I came!" Trixie said, putting her hand to her forehead. "The Woeful and Worried Trixie is in dire straits, and she's heard that there are fruit mixtures out there that have calming effects. I simply want the best mixture you have."

Applejack froze. Trixie was right. First time for everything, she supposed. "Oh!" she said. "That is a good point. Welp, I can help you with that here, lickety-split."

"Hold on." Trixie furrowed her eyebrows, staring into Applejack's eyes. "What did you think the Great and Powerful Trixie meant?"

"N-n-nothin', nothin' at all," Applejack said with an embarrassed laugh, then walked back to the mixing stand. "Anywho, there're definitely fruits that studies have shown can help with mood. I drink 'em all the time, myself!"

"See?" Trixie said. "Trixie knew it was the right thing to do to come to you!"

Applejack swelled with confidence as she placed fruits into a blender. "Well, sometimes intuition's even more bang-on than usual. Anyway, for your needs, I'd suggest your basic orange, strawberry and banana mix—"

"Ooooh, sounds delectable!" Trixie said. "Sweet and tangy at the same time—"

"With some avocado," Applejack finished, popping a large green slice into the blender, and plopping the lid on top.

Trixie stepped back in shock. "What?"

"Don't knock it till you try it, hon," Applejack said with a wide grin as she held up the rest of the green fruit. "Good as fruits are for you, most of 'em are sugar factories, which can do just as much harm as good if you take too many. You gotta balance out." She pointed to the full blender cup. "Them B vitamins from this here avocado will get straight to work on your worries, while also workin' with the bananas to turn your juice into a bona-fide smoothie."

"Hmmm." Trixie put her fingers to her chin in thought. "You have Trixie's curiosity. Which has bought you one chance to impress her."

"Heh. Guess I better not waste it, then." Applejack pressed the mixing button on the blender for several seconds, until the fruits morphed into a smooth, dark-greenish mixture. She poured it into a cup and handed it to Trixie. "Order up."

Trixie took the cup, sniffed it pensively... then tried a sip. Applejack watched her expression change from wary, to analytical, then genuinely surprised. Her eyes went wide, and her mouth hung open. She looked down at the cup, took another sip... which turned into a long guzzle, and a satisfied exhale at the end of it, with the cup now only half full.

"And you now have Trixie's attention," Trixie said, wiping her mouth, and putting down the cup. "I'm not sure if I'm less worried yet, but I'm too happy to care! This is fantastic!"

"Glad you like it! Just be sure to drink responsibly. A little at a time, so y'all don't get sugar shock. Or brain freeze. Plus, it'll just plum last longer! Hmm... plums. That may not be a bad idea. May have to pitch that to the home base," Applejack said idly as she rang up Trixie's order.

"Sure, whatever," Trixie said, paying with her card. "Now that Trixie has her wits about her, may she make one more request?"

"Uh, sure," Applejack said, doing her best to not show too much surprise at Trixie's newfound politeness.

"You have a farm, right?" Trixie asked.

Applejack nodded. "Sure do! Finest in Canterlot! Also, uh, only one in Canterlot."

"Perfect! The Great and Powerful Trixie is in the market for an animal to use as a stage assistant. Perhaps she could visit your 'farm' and make a deal?"

Applejack cringed, sucking in her breath. "Sorry, Trixie, no can do. Our family runs an apple farm, not an animal farm. Ain't no one there but a couple o' farm hands, and I don't think livestock works well on stage anyway."

"You're right, I've tried. Well, that's a bummer," Trixie said. "Where is Trixie supposed to go to buy an animal?"

Applejack put her hands on her hips. "Have you, uh, tried the pet store? Just a wild, out-of-the-way guess, here."

"B-but Trixie needs something special and exotic!" Trixie protested. "Something wild and eye-catching!"

"Y'all can find those there," Applejack said. "Pet store sells all kinds. Seen 'em with my own eyes! Trust me, Fluttershy'll be happy to hook you up."

Trixie gasped. "You are a lifesaver, Applejack! Twice over now. That's why I called for you. Simple, straightforward answers, no beating around the bush." She held up her cup. "You didn't even try to upsell me on this drink!"

Applejack panicked. Trixie was right. She hadn't. "W-w-wait, hold on! I'm actually supposed to pitch you the rewards card right about now—"

"Too late!" Trixie said, a blue canister bearing her personal moon-shaped logo already raised in one hand. "Trixie, out!"

Trixie threw the canister on the ground, and one cough-worthy cloud of smoke later, she was nowhere to be found. A few passersby applauded at the sight. Applejack merely shook her head and sighed.

Strawberry walked up behind her. "Are all of your friends from CHS like that?" she asked, scratching her head.

"'Friend' ain't exactly the word I'd use," Applejack said, "so, no, not really."

"Whew," Strawberry said, wiping her brow. "Good. I couldn't imagine having customers like that all the time."

"Nah, she's one of a kind," Applejack said, straightening some nearby cups. "You can tell by the way I only barely managed to keep her from driving the entire floor crazy."

Strawberry gasped. "Are you kidding? You were practically perfect out here! You always are!"

"Shucks, I'm not sure I'd go that far." Applejack placed a hand behind her head. "I mean, sure, it went fine, if you don't count the bit where I forgot the upsell, or the rewards card, and even let her drink before charging her for it—"

"And it still could have gone way worse! Did you see how her eyes lit up, though? I know that look. We've made a customer for life!" Strawberry blanched. "Oh, no. We will have a customer like that all the time now."

Applejack chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Don't worry. I'll school you on how to deal with her. It's really not hard."

"I think I get it, now that I've seen you," Strawberry said, looking at Applejack with a happy smile. "I took this job because I like helping people out with the power of fruit, same as you. Seeing you in action... always makes me really happy you're here." She looked away, her cheeks as red as her namesake, before adding, "A-as an example to follow, I mean."

Applejack stepped next to Strawberry, taking her hand—which didn't help Strawberry's complexion any, Applejack noticed. "Yeah. I'm glad you're here too. Honestly, I can't think of any setting where I wouldn't be. You're just fun."

"Yeah, I feel the same way." Strawberry said, gripping Applejack's hand firmly. After a short while, she said, "Hey, you... wanna go hang out after both our shifts are over?"

"Hmmm," Applejack said. "On one condition. Anything but smoothies. That's half my life, now."

Strawberry giggled. "Well, duh, same here. But no, I was thinking the new place that opened up. You know, Just Desserts? They serve everything sweet." She took Applejack's other hand, and stared into her eyes. "We could share apple pie. With strawberry ice cream on top."

Applejack met Strawberry's stare with her own appreciative gaze. "It's a date, sugarcube."

Upon hearing those words, Strawberry's fingers slipped out of Applejack's hands as she fainted on the spot.

With a worried gasp, Applejack stopped her co-worker's falling body before she hit the floor, letting her down gently. "Strawberry? Oh my stars, Strawberry, speak to me!"

Applejack looked down at a prone Strawberry Sunrise, who now wore the goofiest grin on her face. Thank goodness, she was still breathing, and—wait.

Was that a... happy, shuddering sigh?

It was.

"Best... day... ever," Strawberry just barely managed to breathe through closed lips.

Applejack groaned. "Not again," she said, going to get the smelling salts from the first aid box. "Dagnabbit, Rarity keeps tellin' me to hold off the 's-word' until I 'mean it', but it ain't my fault it works for everything under the sun..."

It was going to be one of those days again, after all.

Comments ( 23 )

Hmm, "sugarcube" was the magic word? Right, Applejack, we believe you...

Excellent use of every character involved... though I do have to wonder how pony Applejack would react if she ever heard about this...

"The hay's goin' on in that monkey brain o' yours, fraternizin' with the enemy like that?"
"Enemy? I'd go crazy if I didn't have Strawberry on shift with me!"
"But she don't like apples."
"Now I didn't know what kinda person I'd be in Equestria, but I didn't think I'd turn out t' be some kinda fruit bigot."
"I ain't a bigot! All other fruits are equally inferior to apples."
"And what's that make Momma?"
"... You go have fun with Miss Sunrise."
"Don't need your permission, but thank you kindly."

8927282

...I wrote 2700 words just now to try and fix that damnable episode for myself--and wouldn't you know it, turns out I was a hundred short.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Okay, I have a soft spot for Trixie and I realize the thing that annoys me about her is an integral part of her personality...but good god, I would not be able to put up with her manner of speech for very long.

This was great. And it was a really delightful surprise to see Applejack and Strawberry Sunrise get along so well here! :rainbowlaugh: God, I bet the pony AJ would really lose her apples at that!

Got to try the smoothie AJ makes for Trixie some day, it sounded genuinely lovely. Also, good use of the G&P one overall! Also also, I think Sunrise's got her shipping goggles on...

AJ and Strawberry Sunrise dating? Eh, I'd ship it. Awesome characterizations all around, as usual.

8927282
This is perfect in every way. Zero to feels in 100 words flat.

Ri2

8927285
Which damnable episode? The one where AJ was Worst Pony (again) and was awful to Rarity and the other designers?

The most recent one with her and Rainbow was pretty damnable too.

Ri2

Strawberry and AJ...TOGETHER?! That...buh?!

Also, I wouldn't really call Trixie blonde.

8927451
It's accurate because she has silver hair (hence platinum-blonde).

I knew I liked the smoothie short. This is a... very refreshing AJ.

Would you believe this isn't the first EG Strawberry Sunrise shipfic I've seen
also is it weird dating someone with the exact color palette of your little sister because that feels like it would be a little weird

8927451

In real world terms, platinum blonde is a valid descriptor for that sort of shade, but with EG's polychromatic Doug people, yeah, you could reasonably shorten it to just platinum, since blonde isn't such a universal base color.

Well...I don't know if I ship it or not, but that was a fun read! ^_^

8927601
You could always just follow me for the rest of the week. :raritywink:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :pinkiehappy:

Oh boy. Yeah, it never fails to amaze me when people insist on taking away the exact opposite thing from what that scene was supposed to say.

Anyway. Good representation. Trixie in good form. Applejack showing her good side without being over the top. And a nice introduction of Strawberry, even if she didn't get shown too much. Maybe later. (I'm guessing this version doesn't hate Apples, though. She seems quite fond of them, in fact... at least the local variant. :trollestia:)

And avocados are great. Nutty and subtle flavor. Though blending them would ruin the texture, which is the best part in my opinion.

OK, personal anecdote time: I work in the food industry. Have for close to four years now. It sucks. I hate basically everything about it. So this story, which in its own right is a charming and enjoyable attempt to imbue an actual, meaningful character into human!AJ*, is a special little treat by virtue of managing to honestly find an aspect of that work that speaks to me as an artist and a person in a way that I deeply appreciated. Even as it still keeps the Crap side of the equation in mind too, which is only right. But by that very same token, it makes the satisfaction Applejack finds in the work feel that much more meaningful because we know it comes with that weight attached to it, yet shines through anyway, and indeed the way in which that satisfaction is discovered is itself noteworthy t'me. I mentioned yesterday how I really appreciated the Artist connection Rarity and Pinkie found, and that applies here too in its own way; the opportunity to get creative, to learn and discover and share, that drives AJ here is really so great, and feels shockingly believable given how little I can think of having really seen it in anything EqG proper up until now. But you're always really good at exactly that sort of Character Building, so I suppose it's not that shocking. What is a little surprising is who our other players turn out to be, but here too you prove clever and insightful in your choices. Trixie is the perfect choice for The Picky Customer whom the employee has to basically soothe into submission (especially because the worst of what she does ultimately doesn't come from a place of willful malice or cruelty but simple self-absorbed inattention), and I rather enjoyed the obvious fun you had with making Strawberry AJ's partner (perhaps in multiple sense of the word going off that ending, which incidentally has a fantastic punchline to close it out). But, as is often the case for me, it's the strong work you do with AJ, the effortless energy with which you show the best of who she could be, that sticks with me the strongest.

* who maybe gets it the worst of the hu-Mane Six, already a group that could use some more meaningful screentime at this point, in terms of lacking any meaningful sense of personality or inner life, but who to my mind manages to stand out strongly enough that I feel she could so easily be used to amazing effect on the basis of exactly one exceptionally powerful scene.

I can always appreciate a "Trixie gratuitously uses smokebombs" joke.

Just wait until AJ meets pony Strawberry, or the two AJs compare notes. Hoo boy.

8943150

FOME already took care of it.

Though I'm not averse to trying to put together a Strawberry Sandwich. :3

8927282
wait aj is a bigot, where did that come from

8948237
Bear in mind, it's just one Applejack's impression of the other... though given the pony's curriculum at the School of Friendship, there may be some truth there.

Strawjack is best pairing, change my mind.

Keep up the good work. :)

Login or register to comment