• Published 1st Feb 2017
  • 3,599 Views, 96 Comments

The Sickness Unto Death - Cynewulf



Rarity's family receives a visitor in the form of the odd but darkly fascinating Twilight Sparkle, and Rarity's life is forever changed.

Comments ( 32 )

good ending, it make me wonder if the princess knew about the two of them or not.

I. Want. More.

Why is there not more.

I don't care if it ends on a happy-ish note I want more. ;-;

This was simply superb. Beautifully written in every way.

Dear heavens, why is this marked Complete?! Argh, I wish this could go on forever! :pinkiehappy:

Absolutely beautiful work! Bravo!!

reactiongifs.com/r/2012/11/standing-ovation.gif

Well I did not expect it to end that soon we need to see more I want to see drama and possibly the rest of the mane 6 and the princess I want more time for backstory I feel as though you rushed the relationship between rarity and twilight could have been expanded for many chapters

I... cannot stop smiling ... wish there was more of this... :pinkiehappy:
The rarilight was soooooo good. :raritystarry: :twilightblush:
10/10 would definitely read again. :twilightsmile:

This is horrible. Why is it over already? I enjoyed it so.

Hm hm hm. This is a great way to wrap up Rarity's arc, but the questions surrounding Twilight do still dangle so, so tantalizingly.

It'd be cool to have a sequel with our young scholar here as the protagonist, one in which Rarity and Twilight didn't quite erase all of the memories. :ajsmug:

Aww. Sad to see this end so soon.

Well, this was... different... It definitely had some great things in it. It was beautifully written and matches the era it portrays, but my problem is that it felt like a poor fit with MLP.

I'm not too familiar with the source material, or vampire stories in general, but this felt like a story that was taken and just had its names replaced with Twilight and Rarity. The worst sin of all, was that I found this Twilight unrelatable with the Twilight from the show.

I see her as energetic, and always eager to learn new things—here she was almost the opposite. I wonder if this story would have been better served if Rarity and Twilight had their roles swapped, with Rarity being the vampire and Twilight living with her family. It would make sense, since Rarity fits with the more noble and refined portrayal of vampires. Twilight, who is inquisitive, kind, and intelligent would work well for the role that Rarity had in this story.

The explicit scenes in the story were sweet, and definitely a high-point. Genuine lovemaking is sadly a rare thing on this site.

One last problem I had was with the epilogue, I get that it was meant to show-case that they both lived on as immortals, and that their methods were non-lethal, but the change in scenery and writing style was a big immersion breaker, and left me less impressed with the story as whole.

Holy cow, man...
This was amazing. I don't know how you did it, but this was amazing to read. You have a brilliant way of writing prose and romance. Bravo!

This was?? So good?? Like REALLY good?? The writing was exquisite and just reminded me of reading a novel from the 1800's or something. Just holy cow. Also if you wanna get more into the whole Carmilla thing this a Web series with three seasons on youtube. :3

I keep ruminating on this, and I had to come back to offload it.

Twilight in this story is a device that incites Rarity to action, and the story is about Rarity. As such, the story arcs and wraps up excellently.

Twilight catches the reader's (or at least this reader's) attention early, though, because she's acting so weird... but we only think that because this is fanfiction and we have expectations of what a 'Twilight Sparkle' is[1]. This is alllmost addressed when Rarity is being assertive with Twilight and awkward Twilight shows up. I suspect that you didn't want to derail the story (which is about Rarity) with an exploration of what happened to Twilight, and that's an excellent storytelling decision. I think not addressing it turned into its own distraction, though. Maybe a throwaway acknowledgement by Twilight? Ironically, if the difference is acknowledged briefly, I think it sticks out less. Or maybe that's just me.

[1] An adorable little pile of dorkiness. But enough typing!

7928700 I had no idea. There were like


several different versions I entertained.


I'm not sure how she endedu p that way.

7928702

That's a very practical reason to not go into it.

The how doesn't really matter the story anyway. It doesn't make a difference to Rarity's story how it happened. Just to have Twilight acknowledge that she's acting differently from what she used to think of as normal is as far as I would take it, if I stole your keyboard. Like, one of the times Rarity gets more forward and flusters Twi, Rarity comments on Twi's discombobulation and Twi admits that encombobulation is not her natural state.

Or maybe...

"Well, uhm. You see..." Twilight tapped her fingertips together and avoided Rarity's gaze. "You get the fangs, but there isn't a book to go with them or anything. I had to resort to an... alternate reference guide."

"An alternate reference guide," Rarity repeated slowly through a spreading, puckish smile.

"Yes." Twilight declined to elaborate.

Rarity would not let her off so easily. "But which one, darling?"

Twilight coughed. "Come again?" insisted Rarity.

"Ponydori," Twilight finally admitted.

Hee! Delightful! And I'm glad you decided not to parallel Carmilla too closely, that ends rather depressingly. This is much nicer!

Well, that was something. I guess gothic literature isn't my cup of tea, but it was intriguing.

And I can certainly relate to Rarity re: feeling like a completely different person in the dark of the night.

The ending came at me in a surprise, but this is really good. 10/10 good rarilight.

7913777 What is this term "unnecessary oversexualization"⸮

[this is a joke, an actual answer is neither necessary nor desired]

Oh. I, uh, think I'm in the wrong room. Sorry to interrupt.

This is without a doubt one of the absolute best fics I've read on this site.

I can't believe it took me until now to read this fic, but I'm definitely going to be rereading it in the future. This is absolutely the best vampire romance story I've ever read, and my only regret is that this fic isn't longer. I would have read a War and Peace's worth of words on this tale, and still be left wanting more. It's a beauty beyond compare, and easily one of my favorite fics on the site.

I'm not gonna lie.
The entire story was very interesting and calming to read. Story-Telling on a high level.
But I did feel a bit of that "Unsettlement" with the last chapter.
I'm not saying it's wrong or that it "sucks".
I'm just not one of those people who suport the timeline change of "Medieval-like -> Future/Present".

And yeah - it was short. But enjoyable.
Ok, sorry, I do suck at reviews and this kind of texts.

10152045
The story is set mostly in what we would consider the 18th century, so it isn't really medieval at all in either part. The time skip is only about 200 at most years.

Well, I'm very glad that this got a sequel or I would've probably never found it, and this was indeed a fantastic story and so it would've been a grand shame for me to have not read it.

10633419
oh yes. I'm so glad the sequel got featured or I would have missed this.

Now that i finished this, i cant wait to read it

Stunning. I can say no more. It would sully it.

Man, this is wonderful. Your works are always fascinating and this was really interesting.

Gothic horror with a spice of romance? Heck yeah baby.

Login or register to comment