• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 11,554 Views, 272 Comments

Man's Best Friend - Flutterpriest



Anon and Fluttershy get into a fight. Furious, Anonymous decides to go to a bar to cool down for a bit. While he's there, he meets a Diamond Dog named Ruby. This is how her heart breaks.

  • ...
50
 272
 11,554

Epilogue: The Young

It's a bright and beautiful autumn day in Equestria, as the clouds move slowly across the sky. Looking up from your book, you watch the white fluffy puffs of water as they crawl past the sun. After all of the nippy weather lately, the warm front would be welcome while it lasted.

You sat on a park bench, your paws gripping onto a new book you began to read called 'One-Way Ticket.' It wasn't anything outrageous or special, just some story about two ponies finding love on a train ride. Yet, something about the tale was heartwarming and filled you with warmth.

Your eyes move out to the park's playground where the ponies played. Well, mostly ponies. Off to the side was one other little one that you held very special. He stood tall on two paws, with light brown fur that matched yours perfectly. At least, up until his mid-rift. The upper half of his body was a better reflection of his father. Two human arms gripped a ball tightly as he focused on a broken bucket that was nailed to a tall post. His face was nearly perfect mirror image of a younger Anonymous, but he still had your golden-brown hair.

Once he was held in your arms in the maternity ward, you knew exactly what you would name him. The minute he laid his handsome green eyes on his mother, he grew a wide smile that filled you with a sense of life and purpose that you had never felt before. That was the moment that you knew you would be there for Jade every single day that you could.

Jade dribbles the basket-ball in his hands and holds it in his hand as he takes aim. Getting a ball for him was a little expensive, but he loves that thing to death. His eyes light up like stars when you got him it for his birthday. Since then, you couldn't keep him away from it.

Jade tosses the ball from his hands towards the basket. It bounces on the edge and flies off. Quickly, he scurries off on his two paws to retrieve it before it gets too close to the other ponies. With a sigh, you frown to yourself.

If only there were a way to have him be more accepted by the other young ponies. Jade always wanted to know why he didn't look like the other little ponies. The problem was that you didn't have an answer for him. You tried to explain that it was because his Mama was a diamond dog, but it didn't stick very long. His paws and hands didn't match.

He was stuck in a realm of confusion that he didn't have an answer to.

Soon he would be starting school with some of the other fillies and colts and you were worried for him, to say the least. With a sigh, you look back down to your book. He'll just have to learn the hard way. You will be there for him, every step of the way. But what could you do? He was different in a way that it would be almost impossible to explain. All you can do is the best that you can.

You are a good mother. At least, so you tell yourself. You can do this.

"I haven't seen you around this park before," says a familiar voice.

Turning your head to the source of the friendly tone, you see a tall human, a few feet from your park bench. He wore a pair of jeans and a button up red flannel shirt. It was almost as if he didn't change at all since you last saw him, the morning after the blizzard. Turning back to your book, you act as if he were a total stranger.

"It's nice out. My son and I decided to try a new park," you reply, pretending to read.

Your hair stood on edge. You've done this well without him. The idea of seeing him again fills you with anxiety and unease. You can't trust him. Nopony can trust him. After two new satyr children were born into Ponyville, it didn't take long for the townspeople to put together two and two.

You kept to your side of town and as a result, got to keep far away from whatever it was going on in Fluttershy and Anon's life. Fluttershy never re-extended the offer to help you with doctor's appointments and you wouldn't have dared to return to ask. There wasn't a single part of their drama that you wanted to be a part of. Anon already did enough to you.

"Your son?" Anon asks, looking out into the playground. "Oh. I see him." He stands up straight, watching as Jade lines up to take another shot.

"What's his name?" Anon asks.

"His name is Jade," you reply with a terse tone, rereading the same paragraph a third time and hoping to glean some sort of meaning from it.

"I see," Anonymous replies. "It's a nice name."

"I thought so," you answer, finally turning a page of your book.

Anon turns to you, then looks back and watches Jade as he shoots the ball. The ball overshoots the bucket and rolls off away from the little boy as he chases after it.

“I knew I should have put up a backboard," Anon says under his breath.

You look up from your book to Anon.

"You put up those baskets?" you ask him curiously. Anonymous nods and looks back to you.

"Yeah. Once I saw how Ivy turned out, I realized the parks in town weren't very human friendly," He turns out and admires his handiwork. "So I homemade a few things that I could remember back from Earth and put them up. That's supposed to be a basketball hoop, but I couldn't find something for a backboard that would work right," Anon explains.

"Why?" you ask.

Anon pauses and looks back at you with a pained expression. He opens his mouth to say something, then closes it, then opens it again. "Do you mind if I sit down?" Anon asks.

You look back at him and you can feel yourself grow more uneasy.

"It's a public bench. I can't stop you," you reply flatly.

Moving over, Anon sits on the bench beside you and leans back. He watches Jade dribble the ball around the park and back to the hoop.

"After I left, the last time we saw each other. I went home and Fluttershy wanted a divorce. I tried to talk us through it... but the damage was already done. We went to the Princess to have our marriage annulled and while that happened, a critical issue came up. Custody," Anon explained. You close your book and watch Jade as you listen to Anon's story. "Fluttershy didn't want me to even get close to her daughter. I tried to plead my case, but at the end of it all, she got full custody and won't even let me see her. I don't want to cause anymore drama than I already have... so I just try to help in little ways,"

"Those baskets are in every park in town," you mention.

"Did you think I would forget about yours?" he asks. You turn to him and cast him a glare.

"Right, nevermind," he says. "Anyway, I just wanted there to be something for them. Anything. Something I could do to help out. Fluttershy won't let me do anything. I figured this could be my own little way of helping."

He watches Jade carefully line up a new shot for the basket. Why would he do all of this? Is it so he can try to win back Fluttershy? No, that doesn't make sense. If he was trying to win back Fluttershy, wouldn't he try to go directly to her, not the child?

Maybe...

Is he trying to aim for you?

"So, why are you here then?" you ask him bluntly. Anon remains unfazed as your words jab into him.

"Do you see those flowers over there?" he says, pointing to another part of the park.

"Yes," you answer.

"Turns out Ivy didn't have an interest with sports, even with her Aunt Rainbow egging her on. So her mother and her planted those. Ivy comes out to tend to them almost every day. She waters them and will talk to them. I think it's pretty adorable," he says.

"So, you come out to watch her," you observe.

Anon shifts in his seat. "Well, when you say it like that, it just sounds creepy," he says. You look out towards Jade and smile.

"No, I kind of understand. There's something innocent about them," you say warmly as you watch your son. The two of you sit on the park bench as Jade recollects the ball again.

"His stance is wrong. He needs to have his feet wider and jump when he shoots," Anon says. "The backboard would help too. I'm going to do that. I'll-"

"I don't want you interacting with my son," you say with a warning, not turning to Anon. Silence fills the distance between you two.

"I know. I won't," he answers weakly.

"However, I know he will want to know who his father is one day," you reply, looking down to your book. Anon goes quiet.

"What will you do then?" he asks. You look back out to your son, who recollects the ball and runs back to the hoop.

"Hey Jade!" you call out to your son. He turns to look at you. "Try jumping when you throw the ball!" you call out to him. Anon looks back to the pup with curiosity as he yells back to you.

"Okay, Mom!" Anon shakes his head.

"He sounds like me when I was a kid," he observes.

"I guessed as much," you reply.

Jade leaps into the air and tosses the ball lightly. It spins around on the rim and then falls inside.

"I did it!" he calls out. Jade turns back to you, jumping up and down. "Mom! It worked!" Jade yells.

"I saw sweetie! Good Job!" you call back to him. He runs to get the ball and lines up for another shot.

"Listen, I probably better go... I've intruded on you enough," Anon says, rising to his feet. Looking back to the human, he rises and takes a few steps away from the bench. "I don't know if you are trying to keep Jade away from Ivy, but she will probably be here in ten minutes or so," he says.

"Yeah, I suppose it's not the right time for them to see each other yet," you answer.

Anon walks away quietly, his hands in his pockets. You look back to your son, as he tosses the ball at the basket again and the ball falls in again. A radiant look of pride beams from his face as he lines up to get three in a row.

"I haven't decided yet!" you call to Anon. The human turns back to you, as you try to elaborate. "I don't know what I'll do, when he wants to know who the father is," you explain. "But, he will probably want to meet him,"

Anon takes a few steps back to you and looks back at Jade.

"What are you saying?" he asks.

The words are jumbled in your mouth. You don't want Anon even close to your child. However, Jade deserves to know who his father is. Anon looks back to you with hollow eyes and an expression that seems to have tried to hide five years of sadness. Your eyes move back to the basketball hoop, then back to the flowers.

"You really want to be a part of their lives, don't you?" you ask. Anon sighs and looks back at Jade.

"More than anything else I've ever wanted in this world or even my original one," he says. Silence fills the gap as Jade shoots the ball for third time.

"I'll think about it," you state. "I won't promise a thing."

The ball bounces off the rim and flies away from the basket.

"That's good enough for me," Anon says. "Can I ask one thing though?"

You turn to Anon and he looks back to you. For a moment, deep in his eyes, you can barely recognize him. You don't see the hurtful person that snapped at you in Fluttershy's home. You can't find the beautiful eyes that drove you to the edge of your sanity. All you can find is pain. Pain mixed with a small dose of hope.

"Is Jade happy?" he asks softly.

Your strong defense seems to waiver just a little.

"Yes," you answer softly. "The happiest little pup I've ever seen."

Anon smiles and brings two fingers to his eyes to attempt to rub away tiredness. They pull away from his eyes with a few drips of damp liquid.

"Then, I'm proud of him," Anon says, turning away from you and walking towards the edge of the park.

Your throat feels tight as Jade lines up for another shot. Maybe... maybe Anon has changed. Standing up, you walk towards your son, holding your book. You don't want him interacting with Fluttershy's daughter. It will probably be inevitable one day, but the longer you put off that day, the better.

Jade leaps into the air and tosses the ball at the basket. The ball falls in with ease and Jade smiles and turns to you.

"I think I got it, Mom!" Jade smiles to you.

"That's great, Sweetie. You will have to teach me how to do it sometime," you say to him softly. "But I think it's time to go home for lunchtime."

"Okay!" he says, grabbing his ball and running up to you. "I'm ready to go."

"Alright then, let's head home," you say to him, as the two of you begin the journey back home.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see a small girl with long pink hair, walking on two yellow hooves and wearing a bright blue dress, walk toward the bed of flowers on the other side of the park. Placing a paw on Jade's back, you ensure his eyes are facing away from her.

"Jade?" you say softly.

"Yeah, Mom?" Jade asks, looking up to you with his innocent emerald eyes.

"I just wanted to say that I'm proud of you," you say to him warmly, giving him a wide smile.
Jade smiles and takes your paw in his hand as the two of you stroll back towards home.

"I love you, Mom," Jade says happily.

"I love you too, Jade," you reply.

You've got a lot of thinking left to do. The answer won't come overnight. But for today, you will just smile and cherish this moment with all of your heart. Because no matter how hard things can seem, one thing rings true. If you just give it time, things will get better.

Author's Note:

This story is contained in my book "Dash Tries to Win Your Heart and Other Short Pony Stories"

If you have interest in purchasing this non-profit book, check out my online store at this link: http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1662371

Comments ( 80 )

Great ending :twilightsmile: Not that I expected anything less from our resident Flutterpriest :moustache:

I'm surprised. I mean, it's a great ending, but I kind of thought it would be longer.

And so, the hybrid lives. Perhaps the two meet, fall in love with each other secretly, end up having kids (even though they are from the same father), and they continue the human line, creating a new race among the ponies.

Nah, that kind of stuff never happens.

Bravo. I am now embarrassed to have cried in front of my family. Great story!

I must be going crazy, I'm feeling more sad for Anon than anyone else now and I kinda hate Ruby and Fluttershy.

Well, I won't say that it didn't make me feel depressed as all fuck but the sweetness of it makes it into quite a treat. Good job man, excellent story.

5428179
Shhh. I never said there wouldn't be a sequel.

5428269 Just wait till someone cheats on you someday. You'l learn to not feel too sorry for Anon.

Sure, people make mistakes, and everyone deserves a second, even a third chance..sometimes. But sometimes the damage done is too much, and the consequences of such actions are something you must live with for the rest of your life. I cant say anon will ever get together with FShy or Ruby again. And if he did in some sequel I'll tell you that the relationship is never the same and it lacks the magic of what it used to be. He might, and I say might, grow to someday have a good father-daughter/son relationship with Ivy/Jade. Prolly more with jade as he takes after Anon.

Protip: Don't cheat.

5428401 That's why I said I must be going crazy :raritydespair:

I'm not supposed to be feeling bad for him!

I hope Anon get a happy ending for himself,or something like that.

5428413 I kinda feel bad. Cuz I know good men who made mistakes, little mistakes, and they just happen to have been with irrational women who really like dragging people through the mud and filth to fuel their pathological need to hold a grudge, and vice versa. But then again, he brought it upon himself.

Sidenote: We need more human x female diamond dog. And female dragons

5428269 Had the same feeling to. I awlways get emotionally confused when i read these types of stories.

Annon needs to check out the Men's Rights Movement.

Frankly its hilarious to me how upset people get when they find out their mate has had sex with someone else. Fluttershy goes from intimately in love to "I dont want to see you nor do I want you to see your kid, I hate you." with a flip of a switch. Wow I guess it wasn't really love in the first place, was it? Its not like Annon did anything to her directly, like oh, I dont know, trying to kill her or something. She sure acts like that was the case, though. Ruby only knew him for a few hours so really she was kinda crazy to assume he lived with her now.

Annon was the only sane person in this story. It wasnt even his fault so much that this all happened. He was drunk and Ruby was very forward. He just did his best to deal with it.

How would I have liked to see this story end? Annon hooks up with a talking sheep and lives happily ever after.

To be honest I love the story, but I just wish it was longer. I really do think you can do more with this and I'm hoping for a sequel.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm...happy with the result? Not sure if "happy" is the right word. One never gets their perfect ending. It's just...realistic, I guess. I feel sad that the two females aren't willing to give Anon much of a chance, but I don't hate them for their decision. It's understandable if albeit disproportionate. I have been like all 3 of these characters throughout my relationship. I know how they feel. Not particularly proud of that. This story really resonates within me. It didn't make me happy but that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed it. It was a wonderful story. You earned yourself another follower. Don't feel pressured to make a sequel...

But a sequel would be very much appreciated.

5430245
No! I appreciate you pointing this out! I'll fix this up right away. Darn spell check must have gotten me.

Didn't Jade have emerald eyes when he was born, but now at the end of the story they're crimson? Did I miss something?

5430497
Another mistake. They should be Emerald. Thanks!

Brav-fucking-o man, brav-fucking-o, you magnificent bastard:moustache:

I very much look forward to a sequel.

This needs to go up on the Wall-Of-Honorable-Fimfics with a frame titled: Best Bittersweet Ending.

Seriously, this is the best example of a bittersweet tale I've ever heard in my life. Shit does happen, and sometimes you can't make it out with you heart in one piece. But you can still try, and that is what matters.

All three characters in this story will be plagued by heartache, yet they still count their blessings and make the best of their situations.

Beautifully told, beautifully executed, barely any errors I've seen, fantastic work.

Easily one of my top 10.

This story reminds me of when i was a kid......

Blocking the father from seeing his child because he cheated on you? Overkill much?
He made a big mistake. But that feels like it is too much.
Ruby is a nice character. But meeting someone in a bar, getting drunk and having a one night stand, and then thinking you are together?
Sounds a little psycho.

5428424
5428401
I agree with what you both said during this conversation, but to make a comment about the first thing you said steelthunder. I think I'll still probably feel sorry for Anon the same way as I do now regardless. Because it really depends on well you know the person and if the girl I ended up falling in love with is just like Anon, enough to marry her, then I'll probably divorce her as well but to make her to have one more chance to make me fall in love with her while still being in contact with our child. In other words, I guess we'll end up like the main characters in Run Fatboy Run and if I can't myself to love her again, I'll at least try to make sure we're at least, happily divorced. That's kind of what I wanted out of everyone in this story to at least get together as friends because they can't love each other anymore.

I have to say though that if Ivy found out about Anon, will she try to make sure everyone gets together so they can all at least be friends again.

Great story I can't wait to read about Jade and Ivy. It will be so much feels

wlam #28 · Jan 4th, 2015 · · ·

You may call them your children, but being their parent doesn't mean you own them. They're neither property nor pets. You can't deny them one of their parents out of spitefulness because you simply don't have the right to take something of theirs away like that. It doesn't matter what your former spouse has done to you, because it isn't about you. You're not the center of the universe, no matter how much you pity yourself. It's about the children and what they deserve. You are their parent to the exact same degree as your ex, not more and not less, and they have a right to have both their parents available to them, no matter how the parents feel about each other. To think otherwise and deny access as a way to get back at a former spouse is petty, revolting selfishness. And that's exactly why, in real life, neither parent is allowed to do that. No matter who's "at fault" for the relationship failing, because nobody gives a flying fuck. Your widdle hurt feelings don't trump the needs of a child that holds absolutely no blame for whatever shit ended up happening. Get over yourself and own up to your responsibility.

Gotta say that I loved this story, but the ending is very bitter. While Anon was indeed a total asshole during the chapters after his drunken escapades with Ruby. I think it crumbled a bit too hard on him. I totally understand why Ruby and Fluttershy would deny giving him their time of day. However, to go so far as to use his own blood against him? That's low, in fact that makes them worse than Anon in my opinion. It's one thing to hate the father of your children, it's another thing entirely when you use said children for your own petty revenge. Anon knew that he couldn't make things right with either of the mothers of his children, but that doesn't mean he can't do right by the kids.

I think that's what really has me bummed out. He knows he fucked up and even accepts that he will never find redemption. Yet all he cares about is his kids. Which is noble in its own right. So I honestly hope this story gets a continuation of some kind. I would love to see these mothers put under stress, maybe have the Mane six point out to Fluttershy that what she's doing is wrong. Perhaps have the children start acting out and neither parent knows what to do. While it's true that mothers can raise a child, they are going to have one hell of a problem when they start growing up.

So, yeah. As I said, hope for a sequel and maybe some of these "mothers" being put in their place. To quote a line that's been overused. "Won't someone please think of the children!?" because it seems the only one thinking about the kids is Anon.

wow let me tell you flutter this fic really hits close home for me i wont tell why but just know that's its kinda hard on me.

really liked how you made characters and trough all of it i was kept at the edge of my seat. it was beautiful, it was sad, it was great. im surprised to see such a serious sad fic come from you but im glad you made it. overall im happy with the fic only problem i have and its just opinion is the satyr idea. i never really liked it but hey that's just my opinion, other than that great story man.

5433426 More like naive.

I'm a pretty spiteful person myself so if I had been in Anon's shoes, even caused it accidently, I would give them a double bird and just move far elsewhere.

But like I said, that's just me.

5560243 If anything, there should be a sequel to tell this tale of the aftermath.

Woah, heavy... i have high expectations of you young one.

5866471
Thanks for the compliments. I'm really proud of this one.

I have quite a bit I want to say about this but it all can be summarized in a few words: Great, yet disappointing.:pinkiesad2:

The story itself was great! I loved the chars, Shy being pretty on point with her character. I liked the dialogue, and it really did pull a bit of feels from me.:twilightsmile:

But, in the end, the story was sadly disappointing to me. I'm not one for sad endings, and this is the vibe I got from this one. Anon in my opinion should have been able to see his kids. Now I don't think he should be forgiven with his actions(Although.....nah I'll just keep it at that for now) but that shouldn't give them the right to keep him from being a father. :applejackunsure:

Also, the other reason is because I was was left wanting more. I hate having that feeling. And its mostly from questions unanswered in the story. :ajsleepy:

7 out of 10 for Romance
9 out of 10 for Tragedy
10 out of 10 for Sad
6 out of 10 for Dark
8 out of 10 for grammar
8 out of 10 for overall story

I guess since this is a sad story the ending was to be expected. I'll let that one slide. Oh, and a like and fav your way.:ajsmug:

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but this doesn't really seem like an Anon story after the first chapter... seems like it was a setup for Ruby and all. Not that its bad, just unexpected. If I am the only one, then disregard.:twilightsheepish:

5894851
First of all, thank you for your feedback. I'm very proud of this story. I'd say arguably more so than any of my three 'Flagship' stories.

The ending is disappointing and leaves more to be desired, but I intended it to be so. When people make mistakes in life, they never walk away feeling fully satisfied, and I wanted the reader to experience Anon's pain and Ruby's pain. The story could have gone on, but it wouldn't really be about Anon and Ruby anymore. That's for a different story.

The strategy behind the change from Anon to Ruby was fully intended. You know that Anon never intended to make a mistake, it just happened. Without the initial Anon chapter, the reader wouldn't feel as bad for Anon in the epilogue. Yes, this isn't a typical Anon story and I intended it to be very different. I wanted it to be a predominantly Diamond Dog story, but I felt the inclusion of Anon would set it off and make it ring closer to home than without. Call it an attempt to breathe life into a world of stories that typically gets a bad rap.

I'm happy to have earned your yellow star! I'm assuming that's a honor of some kind. Hopefully I can write or have written other things that will earn your review in the future.

5895750
Well, first let me say that since the story has earned a yellow star, that means it was a great story that I read, commented and reviewed. :twilightsmile:

Now about your first statement, It wasn't exactly what could have happened more, but what should have happened in the story. I understand what you mean, and you are awarded points for that.:moustache:. However, what I meant is that there could have been more explained in the story. Holes, if you will, that could have been filled that aren't necessary, but would make me a more satisfied reader.

Now with your second explanation...I'll, just say I like what you did there.:raritywink:

5560243

I totally understand why Ruby and Fluttershy would deny giving him their time of day. However, to go so far as to use his own blood against him? That's low, in fact that makes them worse than Anon in my opinion.

I 100% agree with you. IMHO, Ruby and Fluttershy have done far more injustice to Anon than Anon ever did to them.
Yeah, he was a dick. But in his defence, he never even knew Ruby was pregnant. He had issues conceiving with Fluttershy so there was never any reason to suspect it would happen. He never said that he wanted a child or even a life with Ruby. She just went batshit crazy and assumed that a one-night-stand meant he loved her. Having a one-night-stand has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to look after kids or anything like that. She is merely being vindictive.

As for Fluttershy, if this were canon then she would have lost her Element for this giant act of unkindness. Not only to Anon, but to her own child. Again, she's merely being vindictive.

The real victims of this story? The kids and Anon. And that's the real tragedy here.

0_0 Sad and tragic very good. The story has it's moments but it's still good.

Whilst I will never understand what madness possessed you to use Anon as a character, there's no denying this is a very nice story. I'm accepting this into the Goodfic Bin.

Details are here.

And ribbon is here.

i.imgur.com/GizVyc0.png

Ohhhh...the feels man, almost started tearing up from there.

This stories premise and everything...just wow.

Amazing work.....I literally almost cried at the end. And that's an a achievement in it's own way.

Congrats on the amazing story man :)

My heart hurts from this awesome story i just want a sequal but i doubt that will happen that very sad to me liking a story that may or may not have a squeal :( i hope maybe soon or someday a squeal will pop out in my phone and that will make my day or night cause this story for me have been a impact in my heart every minute reading this is like in a minute i have like a movie inside my head with all the background music and i feel like im right there inside of that fanfiction watching the stuff thats happening to anon ruby and fluttershy this story is just wow blew my mind out litterly


Amazing story always

Lots of mixed emotions about this story, I loved it! However I'm sad that fluttershy and anon had to get a divorce although they didn't have an ice cube's chance in hell for it to work out.

Christ, that was depressing...

But DELICIOUS

i wonder whatever happened to the possibility of a sequel about jade and ivy.

Really, very nice. I hope to see a sequel one day.

I can totally see Fluttershy being absolutely shattered by Anon's infidelity, but some of her seemed out of character. All in all, I found it interesting.

Are you a female?

Login or register to comment