• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 11,520 Views, 272 Comments

Man's Best Friend - Flutterpriest



Anon and Fluttershy get into a fight. Furious, Anonymous decides to go to a bar to cool down for a bit. While he's there, he meets a Diamond Dog named Ruby. This is how her heart breaks.

  • ...
49
 272
 11,520

Part 4: The Confession

He stares at you in pure disbelief. You stare right back at him, but a whole wave of emotions washes over you. A growl rests in the pit of your throat, wanting to scream at him.

How dare he? How dare he?!

On the other hand, a sickening sense of joy rests in the pit of your stomach. You finally found him. After all this time, you'll finally get to talk to him again. He will be able to find out about the baby.

Yet at the same time, nervousness overwhelms you. He doesn't want you here. You shouldn't be here. Maybe it's not too late to back out. At least you would be able to say you saw him one last time.

"I can get your coat, Ruby. That is, if you would like," Fluttershy says to you with the same smile she's worn since the hardware store. You look down at the yellow pegasus who just invited you into her home. She has to know.

"Yeah, sure," you say, slipping off your coat and handing it to her with your bag. "Thanks."

"It's no problem at all," Fluttershy replies happily. "Now then, let me get dinner in the oven and we can all have the chance to get to know each other a little better. Doesn't that sound nice?"

The yellow pegasus smiles and flutters into the kitchen with your coat and her saddlebag without giving you the chance to reply. Well, it looks like you are staying here for while. You couldn't afford to lose your coat. It's way too cold out.

Your attention moves from Fluttershy back to Anon. Anon's eyes haven't moved from you since you walked into his home. His muscles remain rigid and tense while the color drained from his face.

"My wife invited you?" he asks shakily. The words cut deep in your heart like a knife.

“It seems so," you reply. Anon looks from you to the kitchen and then to the stairs he stands on, as if looking for some sort of escape. Slowly, as if resigned to his fate, he descends the stairs to the living room.

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. She has the habit of being extremely kind to everyone she tends to meet. That is, if she can push past her shyness," Anon explains in a tired tone. His emerald eyes attempt to focus themselves anywhere else in the room but you.

"I see..." you answer, remaining in the same place as when you walked through the door. Your eyes travel to the floor, his coldness confirming your concern of being unwanted. He walks toward the kitchen door, to leave you alone in the room. You have to do this, Ruby. Taking a few steps forward, you lower your voice. "Listen, I think we need to talk," you say to him.

"No. No we don't," Anon says menacingly, finally turning to you. His eyes glare down at you, almost threateningly. You stop in your tracks and feel your stomach drop.

He looks behind him to the kitchen, where Fluttershy hums happily while preparing dinner. Anon drops his voice to just above a whisper, but keeps force in his tone.

"Listen. That night, never happened. Do you understand?" he says.

You look back at him as if you were seeing him for the first time. The memory of his smile was crushed under the weight of forceful demands. His eyes weren't tender or loving like you remembered. They were disgusted and regretful. Guilt forms in the pit of your stomach and makes you lose whatever little appetite you did have. Anon looks back once more to the kitchen, then returns his gaze back to you. He runs his hands through his hair and sighs.

"I just... She can never know," he says in a softer tone. The force in his eyes begins to diminish into concern. How much has he been thinking about this? Has guilt been eating at him? He turns away from you and takes a few steps away, taking deep breaths, then turns back and fumbles with his hands, looking for something to say.

How could he have kept a secret from her for this long? The very idea makes you sick to your stomach.

"Look. We can talk. Just... not right now. Please. Not tonight," Anon asks, his voice soft and desperate. You straighten up a little more, feeling a little less off guard. His eyes beg you not to say a single word. He folds his hands and holds them up to you. "Please," he begs.

Your chest clenches for just a moment. In that single moment, you considered wiping the slate away and forgiving everything. Pass it off as nothing. Move on.

However, the sweet melody of Fluttershy's singing fills the cottage and snaps you out of the moment. She has to know about his infidelity. He has to know about your child. Most importantly, you have to do it for yourself.

"I can't promise that," you say to him sternly.

"Anon, could I get your help in here for a second?" Fluttershy asks.

Taking a step backward, he replies to the kitchen in his calmest voice. "Yeah, sure." He then turns to the kitchen and heads to his wife. Slowly, you follow him towards the kitchen and stand in the doorway.

"What can I help with?" Anon asks Fluttershy.

"Oh! Well, I was wondering if you would break open the surprise I brought home. It's a dessert, but I think we should cut it now," Fluttershy says, her attention focused on a large pot that she places vegetables in.

"Yeah, sure. Where is it?" he asks.

"It's over in my saddlebag."

"Alright. Cool," he says strolling to the bag.

When he reaches the bag, he kneels down and pulls out a closed white box and places it on the kitchen table. Opening a nearby drawer, you watch him pull out a cutting knife and return to the box. He slices open the stickers on the box.

"Is this one of Pinkie's cakes?" he asks curiously as Fluttershy slowly turns to watch him with a wide smile.

"Mhmm," Fluttershy says. Setting down the knife, Anon slowly opens the box and stares at it. He straightens up while staring at the cake, still sitting resolutely in the box.

"It's a girl?" he says aloud. "What does that..." Anon turns to his wife, who beams up at him with a wide smile.

You watch Fluttershy carefully, watching what normal ponies get to do when they reveal they were pregnant. She looks so happy. So innocent.

"Does this mean that... you're..." Anon says, a smile curling on his face. Fluttershy nods her head and joyous tears well in her eyes.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, Anon," Fluttershy says joyfully.

"Oh my god," Anon says with a chuckle. "Oh my God!" He crosses the room to his wife and lifts her up into the air, holding her closely to him. "This is what we wanted," Anon says to her. "Oh my God... How far along are you?"

"A few months... I wanted it to be a special surprise..." Fluttershy says meekly. "I was worried you would get mad for not telling you sooner..."

Anon smiles and looks deep into Fluttershy's eyes. Your chest sinks as you watch the two of them. Turning back to the living room, you leave the two to their moment.

With a sigh, you pace the room, looking over the decorations that Fluttershy must have put up. Hanging on the wall was a picture of her, Anon, Pinkie from the bakery, and four other ponies that you don't recognize. They all seemed to be smiling widely on the warm summer day when the picture was taken. Right beside it, was a picture of Anonymous in a suit while Fluttershy stood next to him, wearing the widest smile you've ever seen on a mare and wearing a bridal veil.

Your eyes study the picture carefully. The frame seemed to be in impeccable condition and had hardily any dust on it. Down in the corner of the photograph, was the date of their anniversary. It turns out it was only earlier this year.

'Good for them', you think to yourself with a sense of emptiness. Frowning, you place a paw on your belly, where the life Anon placed inside of you incubates. They are so happy. This was supposed to be a night of celebration for them. Yet, here you are, about to tell them something that will change everything.

Then, a new thought strikes you viciously. Is this going to ruin their marriage?

You turn to the kitchen, where you can only hear silence. A tightness forms in your chest. You can't worry about them. You have to worry about yourself. If they are meant to be, they can work it out.

They need to know that you are pregnant. You take a deep breath and let it out slowly. At the very least, you can try to break it to them gently. As gentle as you can, anyway. No matter when you tell them, it's going to have the same outcome. Standing up straight, you look directly forward for the first time today.

Putting one foot in front of the other, you return to the kitchen doorframe. Anon holds Fluttershy tightly in his arms as they share their tender moment.

"Uhm. Excuse me..." you utter softly, trying to find the right words.

However, as soon as the words escape your mouth, you aren't sure what to say next. Anon and Fluttershy's attention shifts to you and suddenly you feel as if a spotlight was shining on you. This is it, Ruby. Just get it out. You open your mouth and it hangs open as your eyes shift between the two. Get it over with. Quick and painless.

"Uhm..." you stutter out. "I just- I just wanted to say congratulations." You give them a weak smile and mentally kick yourself. Fluttershy smiles and nods while Anon seems to snap back to an air of discomfort.

"Thank you, dear," Fluttershy says. "Let me just put this in the oven and we can all chat in the living room."

"Alright," you say awkwardly. "Uhm. I'll just- wait out here then. Sorry."

You turn back to the living room on one foot and walk away feeling defeated. What was that? You completely chickened out. Come on, Ruby. You can do better than that. With a sigh, you try to shake off the building nerves. It's going to be fine. The night isn't over yet. Plus, it would probably be better for them to be sitting anyway.

You take a deep breath and sit on one of two couches, separated by a coffee table between the two and close to a warm fire. Sitting down, you focus your attention to the dancing yellow-red blaze which warms the room. There's something comforting about watching the way the wood burns into bright neon-orange embers in the fireplace.

Watching the fire was something you've always done ever since you were a pup. Whenever it was too cold out and the heater started acting up again, Dad would start a fire in the fireplace. It was too cold to go play outside, so you would play with the shadows on the wall that your paws would make. You would raise a paw to the fire and feel it's warmth on your soft, tender pads.

A smile curls on your face, remembering a time when things seemed so much simpler. Winter was usually your favorite time of year. Not because of the cold. Cold was nothing short of the worst thing possible. The kids at school would throw snowballs at you when you were little just to hear how loud you would squeal. A shiver runs down your spine just thinking about it.

No, instead it was because of all the warm things associated with the cold. Blankets, warm drinks, a warm fire. Being snuggled closely by a loved one as snow slowly falls outside. A warmth spreads through your chest at the thought, but you try your best to shake the thought from your mind before you can dwell on it for too long.

There was only one thing worse than the cold during the winter. Winter was always the time of year when you would see your Mom the least. Now that you are older you understand why. She took a second job just so that your family could buy Hearth's Warming presents for each other. Even if it wasn't anything special. Yet, even with the extra job, she would always be home on Hearth's Warming Day to wake you up early and spend the day together with her.

Your smile grows wider as you study the flickering flames. Those were the days. The easier times.

The sound of flapping wings jar you from your reverie and you turn to see Fluttershy fluttering into the room with a tray of mugs.

"I'm sorry. That was probably a little bit awkward for you, wasn't it?" Fluttershy says apologetically. "I've just been waiting for so long to tell him and I was so excited I just couldn't bear to wait another minute."

"Oh, it's no problem, really," you say in your most convincing tone possible. "Congratulations again. I'm sure the two of you are very happy." Fluttershy nods contentedly.

"We have been trying for awhile and doctors were skeptical anything would happen... but here we are," the pegasus says happily.

'Skeptical anything would happen.' The phrase rings clear in your mind as you place a paw on your belly.

"Do the two of you have a name picked out?" you ask.

A part of you is just trying to keep the conversation flowing as naturally as possible, but on the other hand a part of you doesn't want to hear any of the answers. The more you get to know this happy couple, the more guilt rises in your chest knowing the bomb you will have to drop on them.

"We've thought of some... I really like the name Ivy... but Anon isn't sure," she answers. "I suppose we will just have to keep thinking, especially now that we know her gender."

"Ivy seems nice," you reply. "It's very pretty." Fluttershy smiles and nods.

"So, dear, tell me about yourself," Fluttershy says with a smile, reaching over her tray of mugs and handing one to you.

Grasping the warm tea, you look down at the liquid, seeing your reflection. Your face is a complete mess. Dark circles hang under your crimson eyes and your brown fur is frazzled. Your long golden-brown hair is filled with knots from a lack of brushing and your ears aren't their usual perky selves. In fact, when was the last time you looked in a mirror? A part of you couldn't bare to look at yourself lately. With a blink, you try not to focus on it.

This is who you are. There is nothing you can do but accept it. You bring the tea to your lips and feel it's healing warmth spread through your body.

"Where should I begin?" you ask.

Fluttershy looks up into the air, as if thinking of a question as the human stands at the door way of the kitchen. Out of the corner of your eye, you glance at him as you sip your tea. His muscles are tensed and he seems to be debating with himself. Placing your eyes back on his wife, you place the tea back on the table. A part of you can't blame him. He's terrified of what you could say. Or, rather, what you will say before you leave tonight.

"Well, let's start at the beginning. I haven't seen you around town very much... are you new here? It's not very often that my friend Pinkie Pie doesn't know somepony," Fluttershy asks curiously.

"Well, no. I live on the other side of town... and I travel to the mines outside of town every day for work. I'm a jewel miner," you reply. Fluttershy nods and listens intently to every word as Anon slowly makes his way into the living room.

"I see. Well that makes sense," Fluttershy replies. "We can't meet you if we don't see you." The yellow pegasus smiles widely as she attempts to make you feel more welcome. The guilt grows in your chest as you mimic one for her. This is going to be harder than you thought.

"How did you decide to come to Ponyville then and not somewhere else?" she asks. "It's not very often that we see a Diamond Dog here."

"Oh, um. Well, that's it's own long story..." you slowly rehearse. You've said that line so often...

"I love stories," Fluttershy says. "Why don't you try me?"

That's when it hits you. The sense of deja vu. You look up to Fluttershy and Anon moves to sit next to her.

"Hon, don't make her share it if she doesn't want to," Anon says to his wife.

Looking to Anon, he doesn't even cast you another glance as he grabs a mug of tea and sits on the sofa with his legs crossed.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry," Fluttershy says quickly. "I shouldn't have-"

"No! It's fine. Really," you reply to her. "Besides, I don't want to put a damper on your great news. It's not a very happy story anyway."

Ruby, what are you doing? You have to just get it over with. The longer you draw it out, the harder it's going to be.

"Well then, let's think about happy things," Fluttershy says. "Maybe we should all take turns thinking of something we feel thankful for. How does that sound?"

Fluttershy's voice has a warm, motherly tone to it as she tries to console the poor pup she found on the street. In reality, she's just making you feel more and more uneasy. You have to tell her.

"Why don't you start, Anon?" Fluttershy says to her husband. Anon sips his tea and leans forward, trying to think of something without making eye contact with you.

"Uh. Our health. Everyone's healthy and safe," Anon says.

"That's a nice one," Fluttershy says. "I'm thankful that on a cold, frigid evening like tonight, I'm able to spend it surrounded by others that I care for." Fluttershy then sets her sights back on you.

"What about you Ruby? What are you thankful for?"

The question almost catches you off guard. What are you thankful for? You grab the tea in front of you and bring it to your lips as you try to buy some time to think of a proper answer. Looking between the two of them, you feel the spotlight on you once again. You sigh to yourself and only one thing sits on your mind. This is it.

Slow and steady, Ruby.

"Just about an hour or two ago... I nearly made a very terrible mistake," you begin to say. "I was overwhelmed by the pressure in my life and I thought about doing a few things that I might regret. One of them was something that I wouldn't be able to undo." The tea in your glass reflects the sorry image of yourself back at you. Yet, in your heart, you try to pull the shambles of yourself together. "But, I met somepony that talked to me and made me think about what I was doing. A part of me realize that if I did what I was going to do... it wouldn't be just me that I would be hurting."

Fluttershy looks at you with curiosity. Anon's eyes slowly drift to you.

"So, I suppose I'm thankful that I just have someone to talk to tonight," you say, your eyes returning to the yellow pegasus. "You saved two lives today, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy smiles, but her look of concern doesn't fade.

"Two lives?" she asks innocently. "Does that mean..."

A sword feels as if it digs into the center of your throat. You feel your body become numb as you hold the tea in your hands. A chill runs through the air as the words sit on the edge of your tongue.
A silence fills the air.

"I'm pregnant," you say softly.

The air feels as it sits still. Your eyes instantly move to Anon, who sits frozen in his seat.

"You're pregnant?!" Fluttershy says happily. "Oh, how exciting! How far along are you? Is it a girl or a boy? Ooh! What about the father?" Then, Fluttershy's excitement stops before she could go any further. "But wait, you said you didn't have anyone you could go back to tonight..." the pegasus says, adding the pieces together in her head.

"Yeah," you say somberly, eyes returning to the tea.

"Does that mean..."

"He's... hard to get in touch with," you say to her.

The words ring loudly in your head. He's Anon. Anon is the father.

"Oh... I see. I'm sorry, Ruby. That's just awful," she replies empatheticly. "Well, uhm, have you seen the doctor or anything?" You sip your drink again to try and feel some warmth in your soul.

"Well, no. I can't really afford it. I'm just scraping by as it is right now," you reply somberly. "I'll be lucky if I can make it there when the baby comes."

Come on girl, just say it. The father is Anon. The words burn at the edge of your tongue, but you can't seem to choke out the words. You look up to Anon, who's expression hasn't changed.
He remains dead still as you sip your tea. A piercing silence fills the room.

"I'll take you," Fluttershy says, breaking the tension.

You nearly choke on your drink.

"What?" you say.

"I'll take you to the doctor when I have checkups. I know Nurse Redheart at the hospital, thanks to the flying accidents of another friend of mine. I'm sure we can try to pull some strings," she says confidently. You look up to her as sincere determination and resolution fills her soul. Your heart stops for half a second.

"Hon, Are you-"

"I'm absolutely sure, Anon," Fluttershy says, interrupting her husband. "It's the least I can do for our new friend. I was worried I couldn't get you something for Hearth's Warming Eve and now I found it. There is no 'buts' or another word about it. I will help Ruby with her doctor's appointments and that's final."

You lean forward and set the mug on the table. This isn't what you expected. You can't let this happen. It's now or never.

"Um, I don't want to be a bother. I mean, it's still going to cost a lot of money-"

"You don't need to worry about a thing," Fluttershy says. "I'll handle everything." Anon rises from his seat and walks away, running a hand through his hair.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Shy," Anon says flatly.

"Why not?" Fluttershy asks, confusion filling her voice. "You heard her, Anon. This is the right thing to do."

Anon takes a few steps away and looks back to you. Your eyes connect and your mind screams it at him. You are the father. Yet, you don't need to say any words. His face shows that he already knows. Grief fills his face as he turns away and whispers under his breath.

"Anon?" Fluttershy asks.

Anon's voice rises. "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit," he repeats over and over.

"Anon... what's-" Anon turns back to his wife and looks at her, his fingers intermingled with his hair and despair coated on his face. "Wrong?" Fluttershy finishes quietly, concern filling her voice.

"I can't do it anymore," Anon says quietly.

He looks down to his feet, as if his will was suddenly shattered. Anon moves slowly back to the couch and sits down. You set your cup of tea back on the table, your fur raised like needles. A part of you wants to run as fast as you can, but you can't seem to move your legs. You just watch Anon and Fluttershy. He sits down on the couch as the visibly worried wife watches her husband. Anon's gaze focuses directly on her as he draws shallow breaths.

"Shy... I'm so sorry. I-I messed up," he sputters out.

Fluttershy's eyes grow wide as she sits in place on the sofa. Anon's gaze doesn't avert from the floor as shame fills every vein in his body.

"That night, when we fought and I didn't come back home..." The yellow pegasus remains as still as a statue as her eyes are laser focused on Anon. "I went to the bar. I got drunk... a-and," Anon chokes out. His demeanor waivers on the edge of breaking as he breathes carefully. "I met Ruby there..."

Fluttershy sits straight, her mouth slightly opened as she looks from her husband, to you, then back to her husband.

"When I woke up... I didn't know where I was. I just knew that-"

"Stop," she says quietly, her body trembling.

Anon looks up to her, while she slightly shakes her head. She looks directly to you, then back to Anon.

"I knew it," Fluttershy whispers. "I knew you didn't go to one of your friend's homes. I knew it was a lie. I just knew it."

Anon scoots closer to her on the couch. You feel as if you were two inches tall as Anon reaches out a hand to his wife's hoof. He places it on her hoof and she jerks the hoof away from him.

"Shy... please-"

"Don't call me Shy, Anonymous," Fluttershy snaps back, tears in her eyes. "You don't get to call me that anymore."

She rises from the couch and blinks out a stream of salty tears. Her legs carry her to the kitchen and out of your sight. You sit on the couch with your hands folded and a new wave of guilt overwhelming you. It's probably better that Anon said it and not you. Looking to Anon, he turns to look at you, then opens his mouth as if to say something.

Nothing emanates from his lips.

Shaking his head, he rises from the couch towards the kitchen. Leaving you alone in their living room. The hair on your neck stands on edge as you rise from your seat. You probably aren't welcome here. At least, not anymore.

Looking around, you remember Fluttershy took your coat to a chair in the kitchen. You have to enter that minefield. Taking shaky steps, you walk slowly to the kitchen doorframe. Anon stands as still as a statue, just a few feet from the entrance to the kitchen.

Then you stop.

Looking to the left, is your exit. Straight ahead, you can get your coat and bag back. Outside of the windows, you can see the snow outside beginning to pick up.

You take a step closer to the kitchen.

"Fluttershy... please," you hear Anon whisper as he takes a step closer into the kitchen.

The numbness and guilt hits you again. Maybe, you've done enough damage already. If you go back in there, you might just be a painful reminder for Fluttershy. She's such a kind soul.

With a sigh, you turn to the door and place your paw on the handle. She doesn't deserve that.

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy," you whisper under your breath.

Pulling the door open, you step outside and cling your arms close to you for warmth. Things are replaceable. At least, you can know you did the right thing. What felt like the right thing. Pushing forward in the falling snow, you make your way towards home.


The door to the cottage closes as you numbly watch your wife. She sits at the table, staring at the pink cake in front of her.

"Fluttershy... can't we talk about this?" you ask her desperately.

Fluttershy doesn't answer, but simply stares at her gift to you.

"What is there to talk about?" she answers hollowly.

The words cut you like a knife. What have you done? You've destroyed everything. One mistake, one argument. One night of poor judgment. You've never seen Fluttershy like this before.

"Isn't there... some way we can work this out?" you ask pleadingly. "I'm so sorry."

Fluttershy doesn't even avert her gaze.

"Do you know why, on that night, I talked to you about that?" she asks you flatly. You stand still, watching the cold indifference of your wife. The normally loving, caring, always smiling wife sits before you, broken and betrayed. Because of you.

"I found out the news that day... and you just spent the last few nights being out with your friends," she says. "I was scared that, if I told you, you would decide you weren't ready for a little one after all." She looks down to her hooves. "I was hoping you would talk to me and we could have a serious talk about raising a little pony of our own, but you got mad. We yelled at each other... and then you just left. I stayed up all night, waiting for you. Then when I wake up on the couch, here you are. Just back. We didn't say a single word about it, but it haunted me every night. Finally when I asked... you lied to me."

She closes her mouth, her hair draped over the side of her face, muffling the sniffles.

"Fluttershy..." you say, unsure what you want to say, but feeling the need to break the silence with something. Anything. Every moment of silence felt as if you were being burned alive."I-I'm so sorry," you say to her.

Fluttershy refuses to look at you.

"I know," she answers coldly.

Shivers run down your spine.

"I love you..." you say to her, trying to move closer to her. She remains silent. Every step you take, you feel as if you aren't getting any closer to her, although her body draws nearer. "We can make this work... I swear," you say, as you feel as if a knife pierces your chest.

Fluttershy finally looks at you, with tears running down her face and wide eyes filled with pain. Pain that you caused.

"How?" she asks weakly. You open your mouth to say something, but your words fail you. "How can I even begin to trust you after this? After all of this?!" She screams, her voice cracking and her sobs breaking through. "You refuse to talk to me about something important. Lie to me and then... sleep with..."

Her words fail her as her body trembles. The sobs and tears break through as she collapses into herself, tears dropping onto the floor. You close the distance to your crying wife and try to place a hand on her back. She pushes you away with her two small hooves.

Although ponies don't have even close to the amount of strength to move a human, she pushes you away with ease.

Numbness overcomes your body as step backwards from her.

"JUST GO!" she yells at you with tears in her eyes. "GET OUT OF MY HOME!"

She stares you down angrily, as if she would an animal.

The eyes that would cradle you from bad days at work, are now filled with hurt and distrust. Taking a step back, you open your mouth again.

"I'm..."

What was the point?

It was over. You ruined it.

There wasn't a single thing you could do now to win her back. You destroyed your marriage, trying to keep a terrible secret away from her.

Yet, would it be salvageable if you were honest with her?

"Just get out... Leave me alone..." Fluttershy orders you.

Taking another step back, you turn towards the entrance to the cottage. You suppose you may never truly know the answer to that. Ruby's coat sits on a hook beside the way into the kitchen, along with her bag.

Ruby.

You've been terrible to her as well. Guilt overwhelms you as you look back to your wife. Her wings are outstretched and she seems to be doing her best to act strong.

You know her well enough to know she's just trying to hide the pain inside. Looking back to the floor, you sigh to yourself. It's all gone.

Taking labored steps, you pass by the coat. Then, you stop.

Raising your head, you take a deep breath. Grabbing the coat and bag, you head to the front door and out into the cold winter air. Maybe there is still a chance you can do one last good thing tonight.