• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 11,088 Views, 971 Comments

My Little Civil Activist: Equality is Magic - GrouchoMarxDisciple



Never did Twilight imagine the inequality that grips Ponyville (pre-season 3)

  • ...
65
 971
 11,088

The Debate Part 0.99: The Beginning (preview)

"That's a big responsibility, Ma'am..."

"With how... heated, this election has been, nopony else will take on the challenge. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to see first-hand the entire process, from start to finish."

"But why me? Especially with how... not impartial about certain issues I am?"

"You streamlined Winter Wrap-up, and it was the first time it was ever on schedule. Our election system is similarly... wanting."

"And why so suddenly, literally minutes before the debate?"

"Everypony else we asked said no. This is the sound of desperation."

"I didn't even prepare! How would I even start?"

"The questions are all written out, all you need to do is read and time them."

"And you really have nopony else?"

"We don't. We need you, Twilight."

"..."

"Please."

"...I guess I can help. It's just moderation and counting, right?"

"Moderation and overseeing the counting. That's all."

"Give me ten minutes to read over the questions. I won't let you down."
---


The debate was slow to start, as usual. Carrot Top was waiting in her chair, chatting with Carmel and the other Moon Party personnel. The auditorium was packed to the brim, with nearly every seat taken and even standing room was nonexistent.

Rarity noted with concern that Twilight hadn't returned. The friendly usher would only let her save Twilight's seat for so long, no matter how much Rarity insisted. The Mayor is trustworthy, at least to my knowledge. Twilight is probably just going over logistics before the debate.

The lights in the room dimmed, with only spotlights on the stage shining through. To Rarity's surprise, Twilight was on the stage.

Twilight cleared her throat, and using the amplification spell set on the stage, she began. "Mares and Gentlestallions, welcome to the Mayoral debate! The candidates are prepared to take the stage, so..."

There was an awkward pause. Twilight shuffled her cue cards. "...uhh.... so please- please prepare for the debate, which will start in five minutes!"

The audience applauded, quietly. Twilight looked over at Rarity, who was smiling right back. She glanced at Carrot Top, who was busy chatting with the filly behind her. She glanced at the press booth, with the Cutie Mark Crusaders (sans Applebloom) furiously taking notes.

But then she glanced to Carmel, who was staring daggers back at her. Her smile melted, and she went over her speech in her head. Was it something I said?

Author's Note:

This is a preview of the full chapter, which will hopefully be out Monday Wednesday SOON™. It's done, but it needs some love.

Comments ( 32 )
CSC

Yes!!

9225920
YES!!
(brb, rereading the entire story to refresh my memory. All I remember is loving it!)

Comment posted by GrouchoMarxDisciple deleted Oct 12th, 2018
Comment posted by GrouchoMarxDisciple deleted Oct 12th, 2018

When you accidentally spam the comment section of your own story. :facehoof:

I've been gone a while.

:yay: the story has been continued :yay::yay:

Starlight Glimmer would have an army of new recruits when she promised a society without discrimination. Who needs brainwashing? Society does all the work for her!

9225932
Everything about the story is indeed great except for the many, many uncorrected technical errors (counsel/council). However, I would rather see new progress rather than risk you losing momentum by focusing on old chapters! If there is no such risk, then I'd be willing to proofread. I'd also proofread new chapters.

Good to see this story live again. :D

Your last blog post is 3 years old though.

9226067
Oh boy, I remember this fic. Thanks for bringing it to my attention once again.

I debated whether to flag the comment I was replying to, both due to its age and the fact that I failed to respond to this part back when it was fresh (I limited my response to something else). But here we are.

I'm not sure what either of those two points have to with flagging something. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the term 'flagging' here? I'm assuming you meant it as in you want the comment deleted.

And look, bud. I'll save you the trouble of a day of arguing on the internet and the author of the story a bunch of disappointment when he realizes every new comment on his story is two dorks going at something ultimately pointless. My opinions haven't really changed, and in the long run, that clearly doesn't matter as most of the people here showed indifference to my original comment. If you really feel the need to hammer the point home to try and change my mind, you can pm me.

Talk about a blast from the past man! Cool to see this updated!

Sweet Luna! I did not expect this! Welcome back good sir!

Well that was a pleasant surprise!!

Soup rising intensifies.

9226996
I meant marking your name in the response, thereby drawing your attention to the story and implicitly asking for a response. Which, given the age of the original discussion, might be seen as presumptuous. I can see how you thought I might mean "reporting for bad content", but that couldn't have been farther from what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

I get the sense that you're not really interested in discussing the topic.

D48
D48 #20 · Oct 15th, 2018 · · 7 ·

...Wow, it's been a long time. It's funny how back when you started this it was basically a historical analogy of the suffrage movement because everything was generally fine, but since then the media has invented a race war out of whole cloth and the democrats have adopted a whole mess of blatantly supremacist positions so this story became relevant to modern politics. :facehoof:

Oh yeah, forgot this was a thing.

9256461
I don't think I even know where to begin. I'm not unpacking this or your asinine comment, it's better to just burn the entire suitcase instead.

D48
D48 #25 · Oct 28th, 2018 · · 4 ·

9256718
And that right there is the attitude that led myself and many others to vote Obama/Sanders/Trump.

I can't wait for the next chapter. :eeyup: hope Twilight can win for the stallions and convince Rarity and especially Applejack to give up their sexist views.

Cant wait for the next chapter!

Damn, dead again?

Dang it Twilight! A mediator cannot express support! You haven't shown direct support preceeding this publically...

Well, if you ever continue this, I'll be back.

Login or register to comment