• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 11,089 Views, 971 Comments

My Little Civil Activist: Equality is Magic - GrouchoMarxDisciple



Never did Twilight imagine the inequality that grips Ponyville (pre-season 3)

  • ...
65
 971
 11,089

Interlude 2: A house divided

"Let this very special emergency meeting of the Cutie Mark Crusaders commence!" Applebloom shouted, pounding her hoof on the table before her. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both tapped their hooves on the table as well. The blinds of the clubhouse were opened wide, letting the sun shine in. It was a warm day, and quite pleasant in their little tree house. Snacks that Applebloom had brought were on the table for later. “Sweetie Belle, you wanted us all tah come here. What’s up?”

"We are going to cover the debate tonight!” Sweetie Belle shouted. “It’ll be exciting, especially since we can get press seats... the best seats in the house! Cheerilee asked if we could write about the debate for our column, since we were talking about the elections and all in class. She thought it would be good if we saw democracy first hand.” The cream colored filly was bursting with excitement, much to the amusement of her two friends.

"I think the other newspapers might be covering it, though. It seems like pretty big news," Scootaloo said, standing up. "Why does Cheerilee want us to cover it?"

"She wants us to see it, first hand, and write something the whole class can read in class. And we can also write it for the stallions who can't go, instead of just the voters." Sweetie Belle shrugged.

“I think it’s great,” Applebloom said. “I mean, we covered the stuff happening in Cloudsdale, but by the time anypony read our article it was old news."

"But we got an exclusive interview with Rainbow Dash! That made ours more awesome!" Scootaloo objected.

"Still, it would be nice tah get noticed, once and for all,” Applebloom said. “Cheerilee trusted us with this, an’ ah got a good feeling ‘bout it. I say we cover the story, but we do it real special like."

"We should take the story and write it like an action movie!" Scootaloo yelled suddenly. "Just imagine our headline: How Rainbow Dash Deals with the Dangerous Debate! We'd be a hit!"

The other two crusaders looked at her as if lobsters were crawling out of her ears. Sweetie Belle cleared her throat after an uncomfortable silence.

"Or... we could maybe just write it like a serious news article."

Applebloom quickly nodded. "Ah think that might be the right call. This is pretty serious stuff. Mah brother and sister ‘ave been talkin’ bout it, on and off. They don’t talk about it when ah’m in the room though, so it’s gotta be juicy."
Scootaloo slunk into her desk and mumbled something to herself, though the other two crusaders didn't quite catch it.
Ideas were exchanged between the three friends, as cookies were munched and juice was drank.

“I just… I got ah good feeling about this,” Applebloom kept saying, almost at routine intervals.

“It’s a good idea,” Scootaloo said, “but we have to make it interesting to our readers. I don’t even think most mares read about the election. How are we going to get a bunch of fillies and colts to bother? And stallions who have no stake in it?”
Sweetie Belle opened her mouth to say something, but closed it quickly. She opened her mouth again, and said, “Well, maybe we'll come up with an idea before tonight. We all need to go get permission to go anyway. I kinda haven't asked my parents yet." A cute blush formed on the cream colored filly.

”I’m sure they won’t say no though! Or, I’ll just ask Rarity. As long as I’m out of the house, she’s happy. Probably has some extra important order to finish up and can’t spend the night with me anyway.”

"Ahnd Ah'm sure Applejack won't mind. She usually lets me go to these things, especially if Ahm with you two. She knows we can get ourselves in trouble, but she also knows that we can get out of it jus' fine too. Ah'll be there."

---

"No way, no how, am I lettin' you go to that debate!” Applejack said. With a grunt of exertion, she kicked her powerful hoof back and slammed it into a tree. Much to her frustration, most of the delicious fruit remained on the branches. “First Big Mac, and now you? How hard is it to just stay on the farm and mind your own business for once?"

"But sis!” Applebloom shouted. “Ah need ta' go! It's for the student paper! Besides, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo will be there too! Ah can't let them down."

Applejack turned to her sister. "Ah'm sorry, 'Bloom, but I need yah help tonight. We got a lot of apples to buck and prepare for the market, ahnd Ah need all hooves on deck. "

"But... but... but..." Applebloom replied stupidly.

"No. We have work ta do tonight. Real work. We can't waste our time listenin to some fancy yarns ‘bout stuff that don’t need changin’. Now go get Big Mac an' tell him it’s time ta start workin."

"Sis, I ain't seen Big Mac ahll day. Do ya have any idea where he might be?"

Applejack eyes’ opened wide for just a moment. Her concentration lost, she hit the side of the tree instead of dead center, and ended up scraping her hoof over the bark. Although she turned to the tree, ready to curse, she remembered Applebloom, and bit her tongue.

"Ah saw him early this mornin', an he told me..." A sudden look of horror crossed her face. "Bloom, go inside. I got an errand to run." Before the filly could question her sister further, Applejack took off, heading towards town. When he said he was goin' ta the debate, ah didn't think he meant it! How foalish of me. Big Mac's an Apple, an' Apples never lie.

Applebloom watched her sister run off. When certain she was out of sight, the filly also took off toward the town, careful to take the long road.

Author's Note:

Edited by Exilio.


Welp, finals week is coming up. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, cause another one isn't coming up for a long while. :pinkiesmile2: