• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 11,083 Views, 971 Comments

My Little Civil Activist: Equality is Magic - GrouchoMarxDisciple



Never did Twilight imagine the inequality that grips Ponyville (pre-season 3)

  • ...
65
 971
 11,083

Interlude 1: Cutie Mark Crusader Investigative Reporters!

Sweetie Belle was looking deflated. Her ears had been drooping just a bit, she hadn't been laughing as much, and she didn't even correct Scootaloo when she said "funner".

The Cutie Mark Crusaders had been trying things all day. Everything they could think of had been tried, from sheep-shearing (they owed Applejack extra chores for a week after that mess) to water-skiing (and then, duck wrestling, albiet accidentaly.). It was approaching the time of evening when they were forced to return home and dream up more adventures to be had then next time they got a chance.

Applebloom walked ahead of the other two, as they trekked the long path on their way back to Ponyville. They were soaking wet from the lake, as their attempts at a water-skiing cutie mark had quickly turned into a try for a swimming cutie mark. All three of them knew they were in for a talking-to when they got home. Applebloom, though, was still upbeat, as she always was when her friends were nearby and there were more ideas to try.

"We could do ice skatin'!" She burst out, suddenly. It was a good idea. Ice skating cutie marks were not uncommon...

"With the way we failed at water skiing, I don't think we should try something without something soft to land in." Scootaloo pointed out. "Otherwise, we could get hurt."

"Ah'm not sayin' we hafta go fast or anythin'! We could be one of them fancy figure skaters!" Applebloom smiled. "We could do spins, and pir-uh-wets, and maybe even a figure seven!"

"You mean a figure-eight?" Scootalooo asked.

"Well, that too." Applebloom blushed. She had no idea what a figure seven or a figure eight was, but part of the fun is making things up as you go!

Sweetie Belle observed this conversation from the back, and still not participating. It was about at this point that it struck the other two crusaders odd that Sweetie Belle hadn't even chimed in yet. "Hey, Sweetie Belle, is something the matter?" Scootaloo called back.

"Yeah, you are lookin' a mite sad." Applebloom added.

"I'm just thinking..." Sweetie Belle said, in a somewhat grave tone. "About what Miss Cheerilee said about voting."

"Ya mean that Stallion's can't vote in Ponyville?"

"Yeah, Ihad no idea. It doesn't even make any sense, I mean, what makes a Stallion different from a Mare, anyway?"

Scootaloo chuckled. "Well, could you imagine letting Snips and Snails vote for the mayor? They would probably vote for somepony crazy, like that Trixie character."

Applebloom took the sentiment a little more seriously. "Well, Ah asked Applejack about it, and she said that it has more ta' do with "tradition", or somethin'. She said it was how our parents did it." To tell the truth, Applebloom wasn't really paying attention at the time.

"I asked Rarity about it and she said that stallions are more likely to make 'uncouth' and 'unladylike' decisions than mares, so letting them vote is 'positively out of the question.' And then my dad said that he didn't mind, as he and mom always agree on who to vote for, so he is represented that way."

"Well, Ah guess that's fair..."

"But then I asked about stallions who weren't married, and he just shrugged and said 'some things we just can't change'. Now how in the hay is that fair?"

"Whoa, there, Sweetie Belle. No need for that kind of language." Scootaloo cautioned.

"Sorry. But the more I think about it, the less sense it makes. I mean, stallions pay taxes and work jobs just like everypony else! I just think it's wrong."

"So, whut do we do? We're juhst three fillies who don't even have our cutie marks yet." Applebloom said, trying to bring her friend back from hopelessness in the worst way possible.

"I don't know. Maybe go talk to the mayor?"

"I think the mayor may be a bit too busy for that."

"Well, then, get the word out!"

"And how do ya expect we do that?"

There was a moment of silence as all three considered.

"I know" Scootaloo suddenly said. "We could write for the Foal Free Press!"

"No! No way in tarnation are we gonna do that again! Do ya remember last time..." Applebloom objected.

"That's because last time we were spreading lies. Remember? This time, we just talk about the inequality in Ponyville..."

"And maybe we can git folks to change their minds!"Applebloom finished.

"That sounds like a great idea!"Sweetie Belle squeaked. "We can be investigative journalists!"

"And maybe we can help change this place for the better!" Scootaloo smiled.

The three hoof-bumped.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER INVESTIGATIVE REPORTERS, YAY!"

---

Excerpted from the Foal Free Press

Dear all,

I know it has been a while since you have seen me, and we weren't on great terms last time, but I promise this will be different.

I have decided to begin reporting again, but this time covering a very different subject.Prepare to see interviews, opinion columns, and other media related to serious matters in this weekly section.

I hope you can forgive me for last time, and we can start fresh and ready to tackle the news together once again.

Sincerely,
Gabby Gums
(Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle.)

Author's Note:

After a long hiatus, this story is back.

HA HA!

Please like, fav, and stalk!