• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 34,127 Views, 2,568 Comments

A Novice Swordsman in the Canterlot Court - DungeonMiner



Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.-William Shakespear. This story is about the latter. Alan Williams, a man trying to take a peaceful camping trip, finds himself in Equestria. Greatness follows.

  • ...
190
 2,568
 34,127

Epilogue

Epilogue

The cloaked revolutionary marched in the shadows, slowly moving through the caves of the Northern Stones. The howling, icy wind howled in the deep tunnel of the Empire's northern mountains.

No one would find them here.

His job had been successful. There was no way a pony could survive the bite of Doomspinner Venom.

He walked with purpose, his head held high. Even as he moved through the roughly carved caves, his feathers bristled with pride. His eagle eyes quickly settled on the rock doors above him, and he walked up to them with satisfaction.

His approach was suddenly stopped by a hiss as a black creature stood before the doors.

The griffon gave him a look before saying with authority “My mission is a success."

The small creature looked at him with it pale blue eyes before stepping aside, the door opening as an aura of acidic green magick pulled it open by a hastily carved door handle.

The assassin entered the throne room.

A griffon sat on a large throne, hewn from the stone around him, at the back of the room. Around his wrists were silver bands, and he had a scar over his left eye. Around his head was a crown made from black iron, rough hewn and asymmetrical.

“My liege,” the assassin said, bowing. “The deed is done.”

“And the Pendragon?” the griffon asked.

“Dead.”

“Good, good. Then the Empire will soon be mine, as it was meant to be.”

“Yes, my liege,” the renegade responded.

“You may go,” a new voice said as a tall, pony-like figure stepped forward from out of the shadows.

She was tall, with dark green hair, transparent wings, and a jagged horn.

Atop her head was a small, almost comical black crown.

“Thank you, my lieges...” the killer said, backing out of the room.

As the door shut behind him the griffon turned to the Changeling. “Well done, Queen Chrysalis.”

“My pleasure, King Ironclaw,” she answered.

The disgraced General began to laugh. “Soon. Soon I will have my revenge! Soon the Empire will be mine!”

Chrysalis smiled. “Very soon, indeed, Your Highness...”

“Very soon, indeed...”

--------------------------------

Dun dun dun!!!!!!

“Yay, Sequel!”

Yes indeed a sequel.

But first, here I’ve got something to say. Thank you guys, all you guys, for taking the time to read this. Thank you for giving a Brony-in-Equestria story where the human turns into a pony a chance to prove itself.

Thank you for everything you have done.

It’s been more than a year since I started this baby, and now it has come out victorious.

That being said, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

The sad truth is, A Novice Swordsman is actually the most boring of the stories I want release.

Yes, this is the dullest one.

And I’m only getting started.

So I’ve been DungeonMiner

“I’m Pinkie!”

“The name’s Kilokk”

“And I’m Sir Squidfish.”

Thanks for reading.

And We will see you next time!

--------------------------------

The above story is a work of Fanfiction, using the characters and setting of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as created by Lauren Faust and owned by Hasbro. All songs belong to artists such as P.O.D., Owl City, and several others. I do not own the characters or songs of the aforementioned properties, and I am in no way benefiting financially from this work. Please support the official release.

"And hey! No more excuses! If you liked this give it a thumbs up!"

Comments ( 330 )

Been a hell of a ride everyone! Editing will be done soon!

Good job!

Btw, the story isn't marked as complete at the moment.

Wow. That's the whole story summed up in one word. Wow.

Alas all good things must come to an end. I applaud you good sir.
"A Novice Swordsman is actually the most boring of the story I want release"
....:rainbowhuh:
I cannot vait! The worst baddies teaming up against them!? ha ha YES!

Favorite Fanfic Period

Yay, sequel! :pinkiehappy:

Very fun story, Hard to believe this is the same story that gave us the blues brothers vs the parasprites, the fall of harmony into discord, the griffin war, the real best night ever and more. It has been one hell of a ride. Hard to believe that this one is the dullest of your arsenal. I... I am not sure I can handle the 3rd or 4th that might come out. Better start training now I suppose.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, I look forward to book two when it is released and I will see you there.

This is dull? This is boring? THis is the least entertaining of your series?

If that is so, then... well... I mean, geez The next book I assume would be a roller coaster to top anything we saw in this one.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!

Loving this ^-^

Chrysalis and Iron Claw are going to be so angry at that assassin when they find out Alan is alive. I believe somewhere in the assassin manuel there is a rule of being absolutely certain your target is dead and not assuming that just because you managed to get a powerful poison into him that he will die. Especially when in the presence of someone that knows their poisons and someone fast enough to rush and get the antidote which by the way Rainbow would have gotten if in her rush and the pressure she didn't forget which shelf. Not saying its her fault that kind of pressure would make anyone nervous and forgetful. Anyway I will wait patiently for the sequel. Well by 'wait patiently' I mean read a lot more fan-fics and books.

I can and will expect great things from you Dungeon Miner. Terribly Great Things. Don't disappoint me. :pinkiesmile:

I joined this story's journey near the end and I am glad I did.

Thank you.

This is the dullest one.

If that's the dullest, we had best prepare ourselves.
And hope we survive.

Best. Fanfic. EVER.

Definitely one of the best I've ever read. I'm sad to see it end, but it hasn't really, has it? A sequel, that I'm sure I'll love at least as much.
Looking forward to it.

Does this have the "Incomplete" tag because you're still editing it? :applejackunsure:

The sad truth is, A Novice Swordsman is actually the most boring of the story I want release.

... this is going to be fun.

2855482 This right here are my thoughts as well.

Welp.. it looks like Chrissy and FeClaw are in for a rude awakening when they find out that their assassin failed.

So... estimated guess on how long we are to wait for the sequel to come out?

AW MAN IT'S OVER?! :raritydespair: at least there's a sequel! :pinkiehappy::yay:

I'm looking forward to when those villains find out that he's still alive. Their reaction is going to be sweet.

I got to admit though, I can't get the conversation with Faust out of my mind. I'm sure it meant well, however, I can't help but wonder if Faust really understands and feels the pain her ponies go through when tragedy strikes, and how they would feel if they learned she allowed it to happen. I understand that they go to a wonderful place when they die and the tragedies were to help them grow but still...

I couldn't do what Alan did. Instead I would turn my back to Faust, tell her "Give me a reason to believe in you" and then I would just walk away to whatever else is out there. Because in my opinion, it's hard for me to believe that beings that allow such cruel and sorrowful events to happen, for whatever reason, could possibly be compassionate and genuinely care.

The sad truth is, A Novice Swordsman is actually the most boring of the story I want release.

Bull shit, this is the best story i have ever read. if you pull something out thats better than this (that isnt related to to this story) I will DIE.


that being said...WHOO HOOO

Damn. That story was pretty fantastic. If this is your dullest work, I can't wait to see what you have in store next!

When I first found this story, I had to force myself to read it. "A brony in equestria? Who wields a sword? Who will no doubt become the hero?" It sounded like it would be one of the most cliche stories I've ever read.

Reading it through, one thing was very apparent very quickly.

I was dead wrong.

Your humor, your attention to the details, your talent for handling drama and story... Thank you for proving me wrong.

And so when you call this the dullest of the stories you wish to write, I only have one thing to say to that:

Prove me wrong. :twilightsmile:

2856000
Gladly.

2855950
Well, it's like a mother-child relationship. Yes, she understands the pain. Yes, she realizes it is terrible, but at the same time, she's not going to shower them in candy bars.

Will make that clearer.

2855781>>2855404
Whoops!

2855495
Thank you, I'm certainly trying.

You Sir have an amazing way with words. This was such a great story....so great I might have to re-read it :twilightsmile:

I've been around since I THINK the beginning, when the first chapter came out.... Saddened to see this one go, but I can't wait for the sequel to come out >w<

2856036 Well I can understand not babying them but it still weird for me for see her be all friendly and stuff when she's responsible for their suffering. Isn't that kind...hypocritical or something?

2856135
She doesn't cause it.

She simply lets her children learn that there are consequences to their actions.

i.e. "I'm going to take over Equestria!"

Faust: "Have fun stormin' the castle."

"I'm going to be an incredibly evil person, and set up a system that is totally unbeatable! I'll never get caught!"

Faust: "I hear Tartarus is lovely this time of year."

Also, their very existence is because of her they owe her everything. That and "I brought you into this world, I can take you out." applies big time.

2856153 Huh.

Well, it's hard for me believe that Faust, or any divine being for that matter, can allow these things to happen for whatever reason, and still claim to be good. Are they really good or just...I don't know.

2856202
Well that is a theological discussion I'd love to get into.

However, not in the comments section.

2856209 Sorry if i was annoying you about it.

2856225

No, no. It's cool.

I'm an apologist at heart (someone who defends their faith with facts, science, and logic). I always love the chance to share.

It's just...others don't really care for it that much.

2856229 I don't mind discussing stuff like that. In fact, my brother and I debate stuff all the time. I just want to make sure I don't get on anybodies' nerves. (And keep my temper in check. I'm a bit of a hothead.)

I've figured out how to phrase it:
Yes.

If this is the dullest book; I can't wait for the rest.:pinkiehappy:

I dont always thumbs up. But when i do..pinkie tells me to.

By Deaths Dubious Dental Work! If this was the dullest then I await with baited breath the sequel.

I'm-a call it now, Iornclaw and Chrysalis are going to try to off each other. Eventually.
Still, amazing story, and I look forward to your next installment.

2855594 Another rule of the assassin: self preservation. If he stayed there any longer, they would of gotten him for sure. I mean yeah, the target wasn't completely dead, but the target was full of poison that kills in minutes and is exceedingly rare. So rare, Celestia must not of had it in her castle, which I imagine would have a lot of antidotes. On top of that, that was his best chance for escape, when everyone expected him to go back to killing him, not run off. Besides, can you really plan for Death saying "Eh, you're free to go"?

OMGOMGOMG!!! SEQUEL!:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Thank you! And I guess we'll find out how Ironclaw escaped. Oh boy, the shock he's going to get when he finds out the Pendragon is still alive.

2856667
I was trying to impress how lost both Shining and Twi were with the Italian conversation. You were supposed to not get it.

As for Blueblood sticking around: Blueblood is a creature of politics. He would have a lot of patience and dedication.

As for the titles. It's politics.

Concerning time frame, I may do a bit of a rewrite. Maybe a birthday scene or something...

A wonderful story. I hope that the next one is just as good as this story.

I hope you'll inform us of the sequel's posting via extra chapter here.

2856873

or you could just watch me and you'll get an automatic update. :pinkiehappy:

Story Status: Complete
Sequel: Announced
Extra Author's note:

The sad truth is, A Novice Swordsman is actually the most boring of the stories I want release.
Yes, this is the dullest one.

My Response:
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/ultra1437/Memes/tumblr_mew7b4vJoK1rriakmo1_400_zps89f38f8b.gif

2856881
I would, but i do have rules for that. Just one good story does not automatically equal a follow. My rule (as of January 2013, if i remember right) is three (or more!) stories faved & liked, or i'm editing your stuff.

My god...this is AWESOME. I can't wait for the next one...would you...heh...consider possibly an OC use request for the sequel?

So do you see this story as more boring than your other fanfic Good Girl? And how long until the sequel?

Login or register to comment