• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 34,128 Views, 2,568 Comments

A Novice Swordsman in the Canterlot Court - DungeonMiner



Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.-William Shakespear. This story is about the latter. Alan Williams, a man trying to take a peaceful camping trip, finds himself in Equestria. Greatness follows.

  • ...
190
 2,568
 34,128

30-A Canterlot Wedding: Suspicions

Chapter 30

Alan read the tome again for the hundredth time.

Ever since he had gotten back, Alan had been looking through the words of the Arthur. Three times now he had accessed the Third Stage, but he could not call upon it at will.

It was closely tied to emotions, Alan had learned, and the control of one was tied to the control of the other. Of course, this made the Pendragon’s words more poignant; “A man who controls his emotions, controls his blade. One who cannot control his emotions, is not a man at all.”

Now, to be perfectly fair, Alan could normally stop himself from becoming angry with little difficulty. His issue was becoming angry at nothing.

It wasn’t just anger, though, it was anger, righteous fury, and cold calculating calmness all mixed together.

And that was just the start.

Alan sighed.

“Something wrong, Alan?” Twilight asked, as she rested her head on his withers.

Alan sighed. “No...not really, I just...I just have a feeling like I should be ready for something.”

Twilight glanced over at him as he looked down at the tome.

“Do you want to spar?” she asked.

Alan blinked before looking at her. “What?”

“We haven’t sparred in a while,” Twilight answered, “we should spar.”

Alan blinked.

“Come on, let’s spar,” she said, before she began to drag him to the middle of the library floor, clearing it of the large table.

Alan blinked again, before Twilight summoned a hard mana short sword.

Alan gave an exasperated sigh before smirking.

It had been a while since they had sparred.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Spike was more than a little miffed.

There he was, at the Carousel Boutique...enjoying...Rarity’s company, and all of a sudden he gets a mouthful of scroll.

And Rarity also got half a mouthful of scroll.

She was also a little miffed at the Princess’ sense of timing, but she had opted to try and get the taste of parchment and ink out of her mouth rather than ranting, leaving Spike to go find the lavender unicorn who raised him.

Who else would be getting a letter via emerald dragon fire?

So Spike walked, on all four legs, towards the library. It had taken him a while to get used to walking on all fours, but it was a necessity if he didn’t want to bump his head on every door frame he went through.

Before long, he came up to the Library door and swung it open.

He blinked.

In the center of the library floor were two unicorns. Above them, two hard mana swords were locked in combat; the unicorns themselves, however, seemed to be fencing with their tongues.

Spike cleared his throat.

The two broke their kiss, and looked over at Spike.

Spike stared back.

“Can I help you?” Alan asked.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Letter for one Twilight Sparkle,” he said, holding the scroll up.

The letter was ripped from Spike’s claw with the sound of magic.

Twilight seemed to disappear entirely from Alan's embrace as she read the letter. “Princess Celestia cordially invites you to...” she mumbled as she skimmed.

She gasped.

“What? What is it?” Alan asked.

“This is Shining and Cadence’s wedding invitation!” she squealed.

Alan’s magic hands took the scroll from her and he read it himself. “Princess Mi Amore Cadenza? She’s Italian?”

Bitalian is the word you’re looking for, Alan,” Twilight corrected, before taking back the scroll. “And if that’s the case, then I can understand why she went by Cadence all her life. Mi Amore Cadenza is a mouthful.”

Alan nodded. “Looks like those Italian lessons I took are finally going to pay off.”

“What now?” Twilight said, as she watched Alan head towards the stairs.

“There was a video game,” Alan explained, as he walked into his room “and the setting was like 17th Century Italy. For some odd reason, I decided I would play the whole game in Italian with English subtitles, and as a result, I decided to learn some Italian. Ah! Here it is!” he said before emerging from his room. Spike and Twilight watched in fascination as he descended the stairs, an unfamiliar sword and scabbard in his magical grasp.

“What’s that?” Spike asked.

“Shining’s wedding gift,” Alan said, before drawing the sword.

The pattern-welded metal gleamed in the sunlight that filtered through the library’s windows. The bright silver swirls and whorls in the blade resembled wood grain against the darker metal of the blade. The bright, silver handle burned gold in the morning sun, and the large, perfectly round ruby at the center of the cross hilt flickered as though it were flame.

“A sword?” Spike asked.

“Yes!” Alan said with a pleased smile before sheathing the blade. “There are numerous wedding ceremonies and such on Earth, and one of them is the presentation of the sword. It’s a big ‘protector of the household’ deal, and I think that it would do alright for Shining to have a sword. He does alright with shields and all, but it can’t hurt.”

"When did you get it?" Spike asked as he held out a claw, silently asking to hold it.

"About a month ago," Alan answered as he handed the sword over. "Twi told me about Shining getting hitched, and thought I might as well."

Spike drew the blade slightly, checking the temper of the new sword. "Nice, how'd you get the sword to look like this?"

"Well, I had the armorers back in Canterlot do it for me. It's a lot like Damascus Steel, but that probably means nothing to you. I just kinda explained it to them and they put it together."

Twilight rolled her eyes and shook her head at the two of them as they looked the blade over. “Boys and their swords,” she muttered, before suddenly realizing that her sentence had more meanings than she wanted.

Both males looked at her.

“Y-You know what I mean!” she said, trying to hide the blush on her cheeks.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Eleven ponies stepped onto the deck of the Victory. The Princess had requested the presence of Twilight’s friends for their unique services, and they were rather eager to go. The other five ponies were Alan, Thunderlane, Big Mac, Silver Pauldrons, and Soarin.

“Why are we coming again?” Soarin asked.

“Because I don’t care how many times Shining says no; he’s having some groomsmen,” Alan explained.

“He didn’t want groomsmen?” Spike asked as he followed the stallions on board.

“No. He said something about wanting it to be a small wedding,” Alan said, “and then I pointed out he’s getting married in front of all of Canterlot. Then he sort of spaced out for a second,” Alan continued, “but anyway, I told him he was going to have some groomsmen, and I wasn’t taking no for an answer.”

“So why are we coming again?” Soarin asked.

“Because the Pendragon is the Commander in Chief of the Equestrian Armed Forces,” Silver deadpanned, almost reciting the words, “and we all are technically soldiers.”

“Eeyup!” Alan said with a smile. “Besides, you’re the only stallions I really know.”

Thunderlane voice dripped with sarcasm. “I feel so honored.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, shut it,” Alan answered as he took the helm.

Big Mac watched them silently.

“So, Al,” Spike called, as the engines hummed to life, “how’s that shouting thing of yours coming?”

“Better,” the unicorn answered. “I can actually get a word out without destroying my vocal chords, now. It’s a nice improvement, but I’m not risking two words for a while.”

Conversation was light during the trip. The males kept to themselves, passing a word or two to each other, while the ladies were bustling about attending to this, that, and the other. There was just so much for them to talk about—weddings, dress designs, the songbird choir, the food...so much to cover in so little time.

“So, did the harvest go well?” Soarin asked the draft pony.

“Eeyup.”

“Good. Pinkie’s counting on that shipment of apples to come through.”

And that was about the extent of the stallions’ discussion.

As Alan took his ship up, heading straight for the castle, Silver watched as the ladies began to babble like the stream near the farm.

“Mares,” he mumbled under his breath.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“That’s odd,” Alan said as his stared at Canterlot.

The Horn of Canterlot, considered by many to be the very center of the world, stood tall and proud before them. The snow-capped, jagged peak stabbed at the sky like a giant, serrated knife.

All in all, its bare rock face glared down at the world like an imposing giant.

An imposing giant with a large, purple pimple.

Canterlot Castle was encased in a perfect, violet sphere, the color of which matched Shining’s magick perfectly.

“That’s not a good sign, is what that is,” Twilight noted.

Alan nodded. “Silver,” he called.

“Yes, sir?”

“Get below deck. I have a small weapons stash down there.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” he said before disappearing below deck.

“Thunderlane, Soarin, are you familiar with spears?” Alan asked.

“Familiar enough,” Soarin answered. “What’s happening?”

“Hopefully nothing,” the Pendragon answered. “Spike?”

The dragon answered by hefting himself to his hind legs and brandishing his claws.

“Big Mac?”

“Eeyup,” came the simple reply as the draft pony rolled his neck.

Silver came back up on deck with a handful of weapons on his back. The pegasus stallions quickly grabbed the two spears, while Silver took a mace.

Rarity, taking a cue, took up a saber, followed by Pinkie snagging a sword of her own. Applejack and Rainbow Dash didn’t take anything, but merely tensed, deciding to follow Big Mac’s lead. Twilight, meanwhile, formed a short sword of lavender mana.

As they approached, the shield suddenly rippled, and a hole just large enough for the airship opened.

The Victory passed through without a scratch, and a gold-clad pegasus flew up to the railing. “Sir! Permission to come aboard, sir!” he called.

“Granted,” Alan said. “What’s going on here, solider?”

“Sir!” the pegasus said as he landed on the deck. “Princess Celestia received news of a threat against Canterlot. As of right now, we have no news of who is behind the attack, but she is not taking any chances. Captain Shining Armor is currently holding the shield now.”

“Shining? Why’s he holding the shield? He’s got the wedding to think about.”

“Sir! He says he’s the only one who can hold it, sir!”

Alan groaned, before thumping his head into the helm. “Of course he does.” He sighed before turning to the pegasus. “Lead us to a cleared dock, please.”

“Sir! Yes, sir!” the pegasus answered before taking off.

Alan grumbled as he followed the guard, piloting his flying yacht to the docks, and landing with little difficulty.

“Go ahead and take the weapons, boys. Something tells me we might need them.”

“Yes sir,” Thunderlane replied, before holding the spear up in the typical guard stance.

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much,” said a voice from the starboard side.

Alan peeked over the edge. “Shining! There you are!”

The Captain of the Guard stood on the dock, looking up at the yacht.

As the gangplank was lowered, Alan was the first off the boat, shouting congratulations as he embraced his friend. “There’s the lucky dog!” he cried.

“Hey, Alan. Hey, Twily. Everypony. Hope you didn’t have any problems getting through.”

“The hole was just the right size, Shiny,” Twilight said, coming up to hug her brother.

“Glad to hear, it was a little hard to judge the size from here,” he explained.

“Hey, Shining, you okay? You look a little beat,” Alan noted.

It was true, now that Twilight thought about it. He had bags under his eyes, and his mane was just slightly messier than usual. Actually, even his eyes looked dull, and she could swear he looked thinner.

“Yeah,” her brother answered. “Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just, between the wedding planning and the shield up there, I’m just feeling a little drained.”

Alan nodded before a smile crept on his lips. “Well, I think I may have a solution to that problem. Let me introduce to you, your groomsmen.”

The stallions came forward, holding their weapons behind them so they would be as out of the way as possible.

Shining scowled. “I said no groomsmen,” he seethed.

“And, I’m saying ‘Pendragon’s Orders’ captain,” Alan answered. “Besides, they’ll be a massive relief to you. From now on, they are also going to act as your wedding committee, so you can focus on that,” he said, point to the purple shield.

Shining face turned into a pained smile. “But...but I...” He sighed. “Fine. You win this one, sir,” he said before wincing. “Ow.”

“You okay?” Alan asked.

“Yeah,” Shining said, bringing a hoof to his head, “just headaches. From that, you know?”

Alan shook his head. “That settles it, the guys are taking over your decisions. You are going to relax up until the wedding.”

“But I—”

“No buts,” Twilight agreed, as she began leading Shining away. “You need to get as much off your mind as possible.”

“Girls,” Alan said, as he began to lead the captain away, “lead the guys to the castle, and get to work. We’ll take care of this guy.”

“Very well; come on, Darlings, this way!” Rarity said as she stepped forward.

As the party split, Alan and Twilight led Shining up to a nearby plaza.

“Where is the lucky lady, Shining?”

The groom-to-be brightened a touch at the mention of his beloved. “Oh, she’s around here somewhere. Probably telling somepony about what she wants; you know how mares can be.”

“Ahem,” Twilight cleared her throat.

“He said it, not me,” Alan pointed out quickly.

“Right, well anyway, I’m very glad you guys could make it. I have special plans for you two.”

“Yeah?”

“Oh, you better believe it,” Shining said with a smirk. “Ever heard of the Lead Stallion?”

“No, can’t say I have,” Alan admitted.

“Well, I’ll spare you the history lesson; I’m sure Twily will fill you in later. But essentially, as we leave the chapel, you get to bless us on the way out. It’s a little outdated, but I figure you’re the best stallion for the job.”

“So it’s kind of like best man?” Alan asked.

Shining and Twilight blinked, before sharing a look.

“What?” Alan asked.

“The guy gets that part?” Twilight asked.

Alan blinked.

“It’s the best mare in Equestria, Al,” Shining said, trying to hold back a laugh. “And speaking of best mare...” he said before turning to his sister.

Twilight looked at him.

Blinked.

And gave a face-splitting smile that Pinkie would be proud of. “No!” she said, amazement in her voice. “No, you don’t mean me, do you?”

Shining smirked. “Who else?”

Twilight squealed, and began to bounce around, again very Pinkie-esque.

“Oh!” Shining said, his head turned to the side. “There she is now.”

Before them stood, much to Alan’s surprise, an alicorn. The mare had bright pink fur and purple tipped wings, and large, deep amethyst eyes. On top of a purple, pink, and pale yellow mane sat an almost comical tiara, decorated with deep purple gems. Around her neck hung an unadorned, harness-like necklace. Her hooves were clad in golden shoes, which came up her fetlocks in a swooping design. A crystalline heart sat on her flanks, as befitted the Princess of Love.

The scowl on her face, however, did not.

“Cadence!” Twilight cried, shooting forward, before reciting the strangest playground rhyme Alan had ever seen, complete with motions. “Sunshine, Sunshine! Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” Twilight sang, sticking her rump into the air as she finished the last line.

Silence.

“What are you doing?” Cadence asked.

Twilight blinked, before righting herself. “Cadence,” she said, sounding a little hurt, “it’s me, Twilight!”

“Uh huh,” she responded, sounding not at all happy.

“Principessa Mi Amore!” Alan said with a bow. “Mio nome è Alan Goldenhoof, Pendragon di Equestria. L’onore è mio.”

Cadence blinked. “Well...thank you...but...please, just use Equestrian. When in Gryphus, do as the griffons do, after all.”

Alan smiled. “Bene. Come si desidera.”

“Right,” she said, smiling an overly-wide smile.

“I, uh, hope you don’t mind, Princess,” Alan said, “however, I’ve had Shining’s groomsmen take over for any of his decisions, for the wedding. I’d figure it’d be best considering he’s keeping us safe right now.”

“Groomsmen?” Cadence asked before her eyes fell on her fiance. “I thought we agreed not to have groomsmen?”

Shining winced as another headache hit him.

“It’s not his choice, anymore, Princess,” Alan said.

Her eyes snapped towards the Pendragon.

“As of right now, we are under a national threat. The groomsmen are going to be doubling as a security detail until further notice. My orders. Speaking of, why didn’t you tell me about this threat, Shining?”

“Didn’t you get the letter?” he asked, rubbing his temples. “I thought I sent that. Didn’t I?”

“It’s on your desk, dear,” Cadence said.

“It is? Sorry. It’s just these headaches...”

Alan sighed. “Alright, just, try to keep it together, Shining.”

“Yes, sir,” he said, saluting.

“Go ahead, and get some rest. Don’t worry about anything else, except keeping the shield up. We’ll take care of the rest.”

“Thank you, sir,” he said, before the two ponies walked away, leaving Alan and Twilight alone.

“Did...” Twilight began.

“What?”

“Did Cadence seem...off to you?”

“No. Why?”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “No reason.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Thunderlane spun his spear yet again. He didn't really have much to do, in all honesty. It was either this, or stand around with the others and discuss whether or not Shining would have wanted the blue or the purple tablecloths. None of the others seemed as bored as he had been, and in the biggest eyebrow-raising situation, Big Macintosh had even pointed out that the blue went better for both Shining and Cadence, as it complimented the colors well.

This had brought on stares from the other stallions, before the draft pony shrugged it off.

And so, eager to stay out of another situation like the last, Thunderlane had quickly found Rainbow Dash and was sticking to her like glue.

"Why are you here and not helping the other stallions?" she asked.

"I am helping," Thunderlane answered. "I'm being your bodyguard."

Dash sent him a smirk. "Are you saying I can't handle myself?"

Thunderlane blinked as he looked at her, warning bells going off in his head. "Uh...no?"

"Smooth, Thunderlane. Smooth."

The pegasus mumbled under his breath.

"What was that?" she asked.

Deciding that repeating what he actually said would be detrimental to his health, Thunderlane asked "So what was with Twilight earlier? What did she want to talk to you about?"

"Oh, she's just a little tense," Dash replied. "When is the egghead not, right?"

Thunderlane raised an eyebrow. "You sure?"

"Yeah. It's cool. She just thinks that the Princess is being rude, and you know, she may be. But it's her wedding. She's probably more tense than Twi is. I mean, she's been practically in charge of the whole wedding until you guys started helping, she's probably feeling it more than anypony."

"So you're sure then?"

"Yeah, Twi's just worrying to much, it happens."

<<<|Ω|>>>

Twilight wasn’t entirely in the know.

She would gladly admit that. But she was a scientist, and scientists were allowed to make hypotheses. Her current hypothesis was that there was something terribly, terribly wrong with Cadence.

Firstly, in her previous correspondence, she had appeared warm and appealing. She even signed off with their little childhood rhyme. However, upon meeting her, she acted as though they had never even met.

Secondly, she knew for a fact that Shining could keep a shield like that up for days at a time without rest, so unless this shield had been up for weeks, something had been tiring her brother.

Finally, the letter from Cadence made her seem as kind and jovial as she remembered, but the way she acted now seemed to contradict that entirely. First, she tossed Applejack’s fritters, which she had been working on for the past four hours. Then she practically insulted Rarity’s dresses, all four of them. Thirdly, she called Pinkie’s reception a six-year-old’s birthday party.

Of course the board game didn’t really help...

Nonetheless it was just plain rude of her! And the Cadence she knew would never have acted like that.

Her friends called it nerves, but Twilight wasn’t convinced. Something was up.

There had to be.

Alan had been called away by the Princess, and was having the guards go through some basic exercises at the moment, and so Twilight was left to her own devices.

And what devices she had.

Her suspicion was thoroughly aroused, and as a scientist, she would get to the bottom of it, or die trying.

Well...hopefully not die trying...

It had taken a while, but she had found a navy blue hoodie and some navy blue sweatpants—not necessarily the best stealth equipment, but the best she could do as of right now.

Her quarry was down on the street, slowly making her way towards what Twilight could only guess were her apartments.

The unicorn moved with grace, jumping from rooftop to rooftop as she tried to follow the suspicious alicorn.

Now that she thought about it, she really needed a stealth suit. This hoodie provided too much drag, and rustled as she moved.

Cadence disappeared into the building, and Twilight quickly pulled out a set of binoculars. There they were, her brother and that...thing...together in the same room.

He seemed to be adjusting something on his formal attire, his face focused as his horn glowed softly.

Cadence walked in, and began to say something.

Shining argued for a second before he brought a hoof to his head, and fell to the floor.

Cadence smiled.

A flash of green.

Shining went wall-eyed as a beam of acidic green magick encased his head.

Twilight looked up from her binoculars, eyes wide.

She knew it.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“I telling you, Alan, I know what I saw!” Twilight yelled.

“I’m not saying you didn’t, but calm down Twi,” Alan said.

They both stood in his Canterlot office, the one with the large horseshoe-shaped table.

“This proves it!” she all but shouted. “She’s evil! And something needs to be done!”

“Twilight, hang on!”

“You need to arrest her now!”

“I’m not going to!” Alan yelled.

Twilight looked at him. “Excuse me?”

Alan sighed. “You gave me one eye witness report about one situation that might have been taken out of context. In fact, there’s a good chance of that happening, what with the world running on comedy and all...anyway, Twi. I’m not going to do anything because you don’t have any proof right now.”

“So you don’t believe me?” she asked, anger rising in her voice.

“I never said that,” Alan defended. “I just need proof before I potentially ruin my life arresting a Princess!”

“Oh, I see how it is!” Twilight growled. “A war starts and everypony can trust you. I see a crime in progress and I’m a nutjob!”

“What crime!?” Alan said, standing behind his desk. “If living with you has taught me anything, it’s that magic does all kinds of things all kinds of ways! What if it’s nothing more than magical aspirin!? That’ll look good, won’t it! ‘Sorry Princess, but relieving headaches is against the law now!’”

“I can’t believe you’re on her side!”

“I wasn’t aware there were sides!”

“You stubborn little...Argh!” Twilight yelled, before stepping outside and slamming the door shut behind her.

Alan stood, staring at the door, before sighing.

“What a wonderful first argument...”

<<<|Ω|>>>

The wedding’s rehearsal was about to begin.

At the center of the stage stood Celestia, ready to perform the ceremony. To her left stood Alan, dressed in a tuxedo with Judgement on his back in a decorative scabbard, waiting to give the blessing.

Shining stood just across from Alan, standing in his red formal uniform, and the two unicorns shared a wink.

To Shining’s right stood the other stallions, dressed as nicely as they could be. Most of their attire had to be double checked and re-designed for fitting. Thanks to Rarity, really.

Speaking of the seamstress, Alan was surprised to see her standing on the bride’s side, along with Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack, all to Cadence’s left.

“What are the girls doing over there, Shining?”

“Oh, Cadence wanted to keep—” He winced. “She wanted to reward them for their good work.”

Cadence smirked.

Alan nodded.

“Alright, are we ready to begin?” Celestia said.

Shining was halfway through nodding, when Alan said “Where’s Twilight?”

Shining blinked, suddenly noticing the empty spot next to him. “How did I miss that?” he mumbled under his breath, before another migraine hit him.

The doors suddenly slammed open, and all eyes fell on the lavender unicorn as she entered.

“I’m right here!” she yelled triumphantly.

Alan sighed. “Oh, no.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

It was going so well.

She had exposed the thing that called herself Cadence as a fraud. She had showed them all how evil she was. She had recounted the malicious spells she cast on her husband-to-be, and ran her out of the chapel in tears.

Victory of the sweetest kind.

She had done it all, she had stopped the threat, helped her friends and saved her brother.

And then he yelled at her.

He tore into her heroics, revealing all of her ‘evil’ as nothing more than mild healing spell for his headaches.

He angrily denounced her actions of valor. He demeaned her actions to selfish desire.

He told her not to come back.

And then he left.

Her friends quickly followed, not saying a word, followed by the stallions.

And then Celestia.

Celestia, her teacher, always kind, always understanding. A second mother to her. So
gentle, so merciful.

“You have a lot to think about.”

Those words slapped her.

And then...and then Alan came.

She could hear it now.

“I told you Twi. I told you to calm down, but you went and did it anyway.”

Alan looked down at her.

He would be angry with her.

Of course he would be.

He had tried to warn her, and she had thrown it back in his face.

He looked down at her.

And held her.

“I can talk to Shining if you want,” he said.

Twilight sniffed, trying to hold back tears. “You’re not mad?”

Alan gave her a soft smile. “Twilight, that’s what ‘I love you’ means. It means I’m going to stick with you, even when you mess up.”

Tears began to flow from her eyes as she looked up at him. “What did I do to deserve you?”

Alan smiled. “Something really, really awful.”

The joke got a laugh out of the mare, who sat in Alan’s forelegs, sniffing her tears away.

She finally wiped the last tear from her eyes, and Alan helped her up to her hooves. “Feeling better?”

“Yeah...” Twilight said. “I should probably go apologize to Cadence...”

“Well...” a voice said from the podium. “Now’s your chance.”

Both unicorns turned to see the pink Princess standing where Celestia had been only a few minutes ago.

The smirk on her face didn’t sit well with Alan.

“Both of you have been a thorn in my side for too long,” she said, before the ground around them burst into green fire.

The fire formed a ring around them, and they slowly began to sink into the ground.

As they fell, the last thing they heard was “I’ll see you both in Hell.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Darkness.

Inky, pitch black darkness.

“Wish I had brought my flashlight,” Alan said, his voice echoing in the void.

With the twinkle of magic, Twilight’s horn blazed to life, and a ball of light appeared, revealing the large, crystal walls surrounding them.

Massive gems sat, buried in the ground, each one making a many-faceted room, an irregular polygon with hundreds of mirror-like walls.

“Well...” Alan said finally. “The plus side to ‘I love you’ is that there’s always the off chance you’re right.”

Twilight ignored the comment. “Where are we?”

“Deep beneath Canterlot,” a familiar voice said. Both unicorns turned to see the face of Princess Cadence in the facet of one of the crystals. “This was a prison once, reserved for only the worst of your kind. No one remembers it now, not even the Princesses, I’d imagine.” The face of the alicorn gave a twisted, evil smile. “An excellent tomb for you two.”

Twilight growled, before firing a bolt at the crystal.

The beam of magic ricocheted off the mirror wall, and in a second, the room became a death trap. Twilight’s beam flew through the air, bouncing off the walls and coming dangerously close to hitting them.

“Ah!” Alan yelled, as the beam passed him before hitting the ground. His hoof came up to his shoulder.

“Alan!” Twilight cried. “Are you okay?”

Aln hissed out a breath. “Good grief, Twi. That one could’ve killed,” he said as he checked the wound. A small chunk of flesh had been scraped of his shoulder, leaving a cauterized scratch that smoked and smelled of burnt fur.

“Are you—”

“It’s just a scratch, I’ll be fine.”

“Fine for how long?” the alicorn’s face taunted. “A few days, a week maybe? How long before you need to eat, hm?”

“You’ll be eating steel when I get out of here!” Alan yelled.

Cadence chuckled darkly. The laugh echoing against the walls in the shadows beyond Twilight’s light. “If you get out,” she said with a smirk, before her face faded from view, leaving the unicorns alone.

“Great...” Alan mumbled before drawing his sword. “Now all we need to do is get out of here...”

“Easier said than done,” Twilight said. “You noticed how my magic reacted upon contact?”

“Yes,” Alan deadpanned. “I got hit.”

Twilight didn’t notice his statement. “Well, that’s a sign of warding, and considering crystals have a natural mana attunement, storage, and magnification properties, I don’t think it’s even possible to teleport out of here.”

“So, to review. We here, stuck in a labyrinth of crystal, which doubles as a maze of mirrors, to which we aren’t sure there is an actual exit, while the Princess is trying to take over or something similar.”

“Sounds about right.”

“Awesome, let’s start walking,” Alan grumbled before he began to trot to one end of the room, when he suddenly realized they were caught in a dome.

Twilight voiced both of their thoughts. “Walk where?”

Alan merely stared at the wall of gem in front of him.

“Alan?”

“...Buck...”

Alan sheathed his blade. “This has made things difficult...”

Dink, dink, dink.

“Do you hear that?” Alan asked as his ears twitched.

Twilight stopped to listen.

Dink, dink, dink.

“What is that?” Twilight asked.

“Search for the source.”

Dink, dink, dink.

The two quickly began searching the walls, pressing their ears against the crystalline walls for the source.

Dink, dink, dink.

“Here!” Twilight cried.

Alan quickly crossed the room to see Twilight in front of a single gem. Her ear was pressed against it, and Alan thought he could see a faint form on the other side.

Dink, dink, dink.

Alan gave the gem a once over, a smaller piece in the patchwork walls and ceiling. This single stone looked like it was separated from the others. In fact, it could be loose.

To test his theory, he threw his weight into gem.

It shuddered.

“Twi, a little help?” he asked.

WIth both unicorns throwing their weight into the stone, it began to give much faster. In three strong pushes, the stone fell flat.

What awaited them on the other side, however, was not what they were expecting.

There, before them, sat Cadence, but not as they remembered. The dress she wore was dirty and ripped, her crown and shoes looked scuffed and dented. Her mane was messy, and ruffled in ways that a lesser Princess would die from.

But most important were her eyes.

In her amethyst eyes was a light of hope, and relief.

Which was almost instantly squashed as Twilight picked her up in a magical grip.

“What did you do with Shining!?” she asked, before the princess was suddenly pinned to another wall.

“Twilight! It’s me, Cadence!” the Princess cried.

“What did you do to him!?”

“Sunshine, sunshine. Ladybugs awake,” Cadence recited weakly.

Twilight paused.

“Clap your hooves and do a little shake,” the Princess finished.

Twilight hesitated a second longer.

“It’s me, Twilight, it’s really me...”

“Are you implying that the Cadence that sent us down here isn’t really Cadence?” Alan asked, drawing Judgement again.

“She’s a changeling,” Cadence said. “I don’t know what exactly she wants. She just took my form and threw me down here, it’s been days since I last ate, please, Twilight, it’s me.”

Alan looked over at the lavender unicorn. “Do you believe her?”

Twilight hesitated. “I think so...”

Alan’s eyes shifted between the two. “Principessa Mi Amore, uno momento, per favore.”

Cadence blinked. “Parli Bitaliano?”

“Sì. Beh, io conos...co un poco. Che non è importante, tutta...via. Ciò che è importante, è che si parli bitaliano. Non credo che ah...impostor tuo fa.”

“Ah...I see. And it's impostore."

Twilight blinked as she looked between them. “Okay...”

“She’s at least legitimate enough to know more Bitalian than I do,” Alan said.

Twilight blinked, before turning to the alicorn. “What did you call love in that letter you wrote to me?”

Cadence gave a weak smile. “A choice.”

Twilight slowly let the alicorn down.

Once free, the alicorn smiled, before giving Twilight a hug. “It’s good to see you again, Twilight.”

“It’s good to see you too, Cadence.”

As soon as they broke the embrace, Alan stepped forward, and took a golden shod hoof. “Principessa,” Alan said. “Mio nome è Alan Goldenhoof, Pendragon di Equestria. L’onore è mio.”

“Ed è il mio piacere,” she answered.

Cadence smiled, before she stopped. She looked over at Twilight. “Is this the stallion you wrote to me about?”

Twilight’s eyes suddenly took interest in the floor as she twiddled her hoof. “Yes...” she answered.

Cadence smiled. “Well, I can see why you took an interest.”

Twilight blushed.

“As for you,” she said, turning to Alan, “I would say something along the lines of you break her heart, I’ll break your face, but something tells me you wouldn’t dream of it.”

Alan smiled. “I’m glad you think so, otherwise I’d have to say something along the lines of get in line.”

“Oh really?” Cadence said, smiling.

“Yeah, remind me to tell you the story some time, right now though, we have a wedding to crash.”

--------------------------------

And Chapter.

Next time, Part 2! Complete with Changeling butt kicking!

“That’s it? You aren’t going to make the D&D joke about changelings?”

What? You mean the one where Alan says he feels like he’s stuck in a D&D campaign?

“Yeah! I liked that joke.”

You liked that one? And boo-ed with the Amazon shipping joke?

“Well somepony has to keep your ego in check.”

That’s why I have the other Main Six around. Say ‘Hi’ everypony!

And that’s enough of that.

“...What did I just see?”

It’s okay, Pinkie, their just mental constructs of my imagination. They don’t have feelings.

Well...unless I give them feelings...

But I think we should go before we get into a very interesting debate.

“Sounds iffy to me, but okay! Bye everypony!”

Bye, and see you next time.