• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 34,116 Views, 2,568 Comments

A Novice Swordsman in the Canterlot Court - DungeonMiner



Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.-William Shakespear. This story is about the latter. Alan Williams, a man trying to take a peaceful camping trip, finds himself in Equestria. Greatness follows.

  • ...
190
 2,568
 34,116

16-Preparations

Chapter 16

News of the approaching war had spread like wildfire. All across Equestria, farmers, musicians, librarians, weather ponies, patriots all and foolhardy to the tee, were gathering in Canterlot to sign up to join the Equestrian Military.

And that’s why Octavia was getting the buck out of there.

She mentally chided herself for even thinking of the vulgar explicative; really, it was something that she’d expect out of Vinyl.

Yes, her friend Vinyl Scratch, the Fillystine.

The earth pony carefully laid her cello, the only instrument she could bring due to size restrictions, in the back of the pony-drawn carriage. One of the many considering anyone who wasn’t fighting was looking for refuge.

“We accept all ponies from all walks of life!” a crier on the corner yelled, the boy had been going at it for the past three days, going on and on about the noble Pendragon. It was tiring.

“I’m sorry, miss, but we simply can’t take that. It’s just too big.”

Octavia sent the man a glare. “This cello, sir,” she said, hoping her stare would kill him, “was played by the Denis Trott in the Canterlot gardens nearly 200 years ago. It is currently worth more than your entire cart, as well as all of the other luggage, the cart next to us and its luggage, and your great grandmother’s ashes. Do you understand its importance yet, or must I find a drill so that I can bore it into that rock you call your head?”

The cart-drive'rs face went grim, and Octavia wished she hadn't been born with a sharp tongue. “We can’t take it, miss,” he said, taking the case and lifting it out of the cart.

Octavia didn’t even retort. She knew she messed that one up.

Grumbling nonetheless, she carefully took the precious instrument and began heading to the next cart.

How many had that been now, four? She really just needed to shut up sometimes.

On her way to the next cart she went over her plan again. Find a way out of Canterlot, something that theoretically wasn’t difficult since the new military was practically pushing everyone out. After she got out, she would head to Ponyville, where she knew she could stay, or “crash” as Vinyl called it, for a few days or weeks until she found a better place to live.

She probably would be staying with the DJ. The unicorn had always been eager to take her in, especially if it meant she got to blast that noise into the cellist’s ears. Honestly, Octavia wouldn’t mind that much if Scratch actually played something decent, like MC W!sh.

Er, decent comparatively...of course...

Octavia wasn’t entirely sure why Vinyl didn’t play her own music when she was over. It is much better than some of the other crap out there.

Again, comparatively.

So, she would stay with Vinyl for a few days, and then head out from there, probably to Vanhoover.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a very familiar voice. “Tavi? Is that you?”

Octavia stopped mid-step, before turning her head to the direction of the voice.

Vinyl Scratch was staring right back at her.

“Vinyl? What are you doing here?”

The unicorn blinked under her glasses. “I’m under orders to help civvies evac. What are you doing here?”

The words “orders,” “civvies,” and “evac” told Octavia everything she needed to know. “You joined the military?!”

“You’d better believe it, Tavi. Pendragon Al is a cool guy, and by cool I mean chill, so if he’s ready to smack these griffons around, you know they deserve it.”

Octavia blinked.

“But seriously, what are you up to?”

“Well, I was about to head over to Ponyville to spend a few nights at your house while I try to find a new place to stay. Especially since Canterlot is going to be leveled shortly.”

“Pfft,” Scratch dismissed. “As if. Al’s been locked away in the grand council room for the past three days coming up with a strategy. He’ll get those griffons packing so fast that we can start the victory party before they even get here.”

Octavia gave her friend a look.

“Well,” Vinyl began, eyeing the cello case, “since it looks like you’re getting the buck out of here, might as well help you out.”

“That would be appreciated, Vinyl, however, I doubt you could help. These gentlestallions are less cultured than you.”

Scratch smiled, picking the instrument up in a pale blue magical aura. “Ah, but you can’t give them orders.”

Octavia blinked.

“So, how’s life been since you packed out of Ponyville?” the DJ asked as she scanned for an empty cart.

“It’s been fair enough, I suppose,” she answered. “I was invited to a few social outings where I’ve played a few masterpieces.”

“Hm.”

“I’m sure you’d appreciate such works, Vinyl, after all, you are so well versed in Late Reignassance Music.”

Vinyl rolled her eyes.

“What about you, what have you done recently?”

“Oh, you know the story, a few gigs here and there, crazy parties, late nights at the clubs. Whatever the ponies need, you know?”

Those are lyrics to her song Call of the Beat.

Er, not that I would know...

“So, since you can’t crash with me anymore, what’s your plan?”

Octavia sighed. “Sadly, I’m not sure. Perhaps I could stay with Carrot Top.”

“I wouldn’t. She’s going to be ridiculously busy now that she’s orchard sitting for the Apples.”

“Well, um, there’s always Roseluck.”

“Not anymore. She joined up.”

“Ambrosia?”

“Working as an engineer.”

“Bottlecap?”

“House sitting.”

“What about Daisy? Surely she hasn’t—”

“Joined.”

Octavia shook her head. That was everyone in Ponyville she knew well enough to ask for lodgings. “You can’t be serious.”

“Bucking dead serious.”

“Why? Why would you all throw your lives away?”

The DJ paused and looked at the earth pony over her glasses, her magenta eyes (which seemed blood-red in the proper light) telling her how very unamused she was.

“Er, well, no offense, Vinyl it’s just that—”

“It’s just that the average griffon weighs twice as much as the average pony,” Vinyl finished. “It’s just that griffons have natural weapons, like claws, talons, and razor sharp beaks. It’s just that griffons have a vast amount of experience when it comes to war, and its just that griffons are highly agile hunters in the air. Don’t think for a second, Tavi, that we don’t know what we’re getting into. We know. We’re just doing it anyway.”

“But, why?”

Vinyl lifted the cello into the back of one of the carts, and quickly silenced any complaints from the cab driver with the words “Pendragon’s orders.”

The driver snapped his mouth shut, and continued on his business.

“Why? Why not?” Scratch asked as she carefully strapped the case to the cart. “Al probably said it best. Why live for nothing when you can die for something? Or something like that, anyways...”

“But Vinyl, you live for something already. You live to make music,” she said, before adding, “if you can call that music.”

“Yeah, I do. I make music for other ponies to enjoy. But what if those ponies are dead? Soldiers are not the only ponies that die.”

The comment hit harder than Octavia was expecting.

She had been heading to Ponyville because it was safe. But it wasn’t really, was it? If Canterlot were to fall, what would stop those brutes form heading north? Or south? Or east? Or west? Could anything stop them once the brave volunteers lay dead?

“Face it, Tavi. If we don’t make it, there won’t be much to live for anyway.”

The fact that Vinyl was making that much sense was scary.

“Alright,” the DJ said, “you’re all good to go. Stay safe, avoid any griffons you can, and hope for the best. Hope to see you on the flipside, Tavi.”

Octavia watched her friend trot away, wondering what had happened to the young filly she had known and argued with, and where this mature, brave, and dedicated mare had come from.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Alright,” Alan began, speaking to the six mares gathered around him. “So in review, the military will be broken down into two branches:The Solar Branch, and the Lunar Branch. The Solar Branch will be composed of the Fire Drake Division, led by General Applejack.”

The farmpony nodded before copying her brother’s line, “Eeyup.”

“Phoenix Division, led by General Dash.”

The rainbow-maned pegasus nodded, bored. “We’ve been over this.”

“And Sun Beam Division led by General Sparkle.”

Twilight nodded, her horn glowing as she took notes while simultaneously re-re-rereading one of her many strategy books.

“The Lunar Branch will be composed of the Nightingale Division, led by General Fluttershy.”

The shy pegasus simply nodded.

“Moonbeam Division, led by General Rarity.”

“Indeed,” Rarity said, looking her mane over again, three days without a decent brushing was turning it a little rough.

“And finally Thunderstorm Division, led by General Pie.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” Pinkie said, her mane straight, and her demeanor oddly serious.

The six ponies were sitting, dressed in their golden armor, which they had found deep into the royal armories. After a little personalization, the Mane Six had taken to wearing them as their signs of office.

Of course, Alan had to admit they did look pretty cool.

“You all understand your purposes?” Alan asked, looking up at them as they sat on the comfortable councilpony chairs that surrounded the floor, where he had decided to lie.

A collective nod answered him.

“Good, good,” Alan said. “Twi, how are the communicators coming?”

“Last time I checked, they were just finalizing the design.”

“Good. The communicators are going to be vital,” the human said as he placed his hands behind his head, looking utterly relaxed as he lay there on the floor, “we’ll need them to make split-second changes to our plans, and they’d be massively more effective than flags or drums. Pinkie, how’s rocket manufacturing?”

“We’ll have 425 rockets ready by the end of today.”

“Try to double that.”

“Sir, yes, sir!”

Alan was about to give another order when suddenly, a knock sounded on the door. The Pendragon—yes, he was the Pendragon now...he’d have to get used to that—stood. “Come in.”

The Princesses entered, and Alan snapped to attention, saluting them. The Mane Six followed suit.

Celestia gave a grim smile. “At ease,” she ordered.

Alan relaxed a touch.

“I hope I am not interrupting anything?”

“No, ma’am,” Alan replied, doing his best to sound as professional as possible. “I was about to tell the generals to start training their divisions.”

“This is excellent news,” Luna yelled, before blushing, realizing she was still be too loud. “Er, pardon me,” she said, at a much more manageable volume, “that is wonderful to hear.”

“Yes, follow us, we have some things we need to show you.”

Alan followed them out, as did the mane six, while the royal sisters began leading them outside.

“A long time ago,” Celestia began, “we had faced the threat of war. Arthur was dead, and we had no Pendragon. Many of the neighboring countries thought that perhaps with his death, we would be weaker. Fearing an attack, we had a few devices commissioned.”

“Devices?” Alan asked with interest.

“Vehicles,” Luna clarified. “Vehicles that are incredibly hardy as well as dangerous to their foes.”

“It tooks us a day to get them out of storage, and two more to fix any of the corroded parts.” Celestia explained as they came out to a balcony.

The sight that met Alan made his jaw drop, before he burst into a face-splitting smile.

Hanging in the air were two massive flying galleons. One, plated in gold with a white envelope, the other, plated in a metal as black as the night sky with a blue envelope.

The gold and white ship was the larger of the two, with bands of polished copper running along its sides. Golden cannons gleamed along the side of the ship, Alan didn’t bother counting them at this distance. Six massive propellers hung out of the ship, each made of lacquered oak, with the engines, again, trimmed in gold. At its head, just under the bow, was a phoenix in polished copper as the figurehead.

The darker of the two was almost identical, however, instead of copper and gold, polished silver and platinum trimmed the ship. The cast-iron cannons shined, rubbed to a reflective surface. At the bow was a silver owl.

But that was just half of it.

Down below, littering the ground, were dozens of conical wooden vehicles. Each one had eight cannons sticking out of its sides like wheel spokes. They were decorated with Celestia’s sun and Luna’s moon, and were trimmed in gold and silver.

Alan’s smile got bigger, somehow. “You have Leonardo Da Vinci’s tank?” he asked.

“Who?” Celestia asked

“Never mind,” Alan said, waving her off, before laughing maniacally. “Oh this brings back memories. Namely memories of me and an Xbox 360, but memories nonetheless.”

The ponies blinked.

“The point is, this may have just saved our ground forces,” Alan explained. “We’d fit three to four ponies in a single tank: One controlling movement, one firing the cannon, one or two reloading, and we’ll have some epic killing machines.”

“Um,” Twilight began.

“Applejack, you’re in charge of them.”

“What?” The farmpony exclaimed. “But Ah ain’t got a clue how to run those fancy machines.”

“You’ll learn.”

“Um,” Celestia interjected, “not to interrupt whatever nostalgia you’re going through, no matter how coincidental it may be, but there is actually one more thing that needs to be done here.”

That got Alan’s attention. “Really? Everything looks shipshape from here.”

“Well,” Luna said, “almost everything.”

“It’s bad luck to sail a ship without a name,” Celestia explained.

Alan blinked. “Are you saying you want me to...?”

“Well, you have done much for us already, I don’t see a reason why not.”

Alan blinked, before looking back up at the floating works of art. He looked up at the carefully carved ships before he began to draw on all of the Latin he knew.

“That one,” he said, pointing to the solar ship, “is the Ira Solaris, the Solar Wrath. The other is the Vindicta Lunaris, the Lunar Revenge.”

Luna nodded. “I like it.”

Celestia nodded. “It does have a nice ring to it.”

“Yes, and we can discuss how pretty things are another day,” Alan said, his face growing serious. “But right now we have less than a month to train a bunch of shop owners into soldiers. We have a lot of work ahead of us.”

“Well, not all of them,” Celestia said, “The royal guard is well trained.”

“Yes, and thank heaven for the royal guard. Speaking of, I should probably go check on them.”

“I’ll go with you,” Twilight said.

“Alright, the rest of you, head out and start dividing the troops. You know what you need, look for it.”

They nodded, and the Pendragon turned to the royal sisters. “By your leave.”

“Of course,” Celestia answered. “They are waiting for you in Canterlot tower.”

The Pendragon and ponies left, Twilight following Alan while the others left for the courtyard to begin getting their soldiers together.

The two made their way to Canterlot Tower in silence. Twilight was giving Alan looks every now and then, while Alan simply stared straight ahead.

“Are you alright?” Twilight asked.

“Fine, considering I’ve started a war.”

“What?” Twilight blinked.

“If I weren’t here, this wouldn’t have happened,” Alan explained. “They wouldn’t have a scapegoat, and they wouldn’t have been able to go to war. I started this war.”

“I think you’re overthinking this.”

Alan stared at her, eyebrow raised.

“Hey! I don’t overthink things!”

Alan still stared.

“That much.”

“Uh huh.”

“But look, that’s not the point. The point is, you can’t blame yourself for this,” she said before smiling. “Besides, I did that once already.”

Alan looked at her smile, and barely caught the intended joke. “Funny,” he deadpanned.

Twilight sighed. “Look Alan, just forget about it, please.”

Alan nodded. “I’ll try.”

More silence between them as they continued to the tower.

“Look, Alan, I’m sorry—”

“Twi, stop.”

“No, you stop, I’m trying to apologize.”

“And you did, look, just forget about it, ok.”

More silence.

The tension between them was awkward and thick. In the few agonizing minutes it took to walk to the door that led to just outside the tower, Alan was having second thoughts.

“Okay, this is awkward. Twi, I’m sorry, ok?”

“What are you sorry for?”

“For everything. For ruining your lives, for starting this war, just everything.”

Twilight gave him a soft smile. “Alan, you didn’t ruin anything, and I’m sorry for ever doubting you.”

They shared a quick hug, then Alan collected himself before pushing the door open.

Sixty-some-odd ponies suddenly jumped at the abrupt entrance, and one was quick to yell, “Pendragon on deck!”

Those that had not been already were now standing at attention, saluting as they stared forward. Alan looked them over and gave them an approving nod. Twilight, however, was focusing on a single unicorn stallion standing in the middle of the line. “Shining?”

The stallion blinked, before breaking his stance. “Twily?”

“Shining!”

“Twily!” The stallion then broke every single line of protocol and hugged the mare.

Alan noted that all of the guards were a little uncomfortable with that.

“Oh, Shining, it’s been ages! What have you been up to lately?”

“Me? What have you been doing? I mean really? First I get to brag that my sister is the student of the Princess Celestia, and now you're a national hero? You keep this up, and I won’t have a chance to brag, everypony will know about you before I can say a word.”

“Wait, wait, wait, what?”

The white unicorn paled, suddenly realizing what he had done. “Uh, sir. Forgive my break of protocol, sir.”

Alan waved him off. “You have a brother,” he asked Twilight, “and you never brought him up?”

Twilight blinked. “Well, he doesn’t come up in conversation that often.”

“Excuse me,” the purple-armored pony spoke, “you don’t mention me? I bring you up all the time, you couldn’t do the same?”

“Well, I—”

“Maybe you’re just not that impressive,” Alan said with a smirk.

“That’s not—”

“Oh, what, so I have to beat some terrible evil from before written history before you’ll introduce me to your friends, is that it?”

“No, I—”

“Personally, I’d start out smaller,” Alan said. “Maybe a terrible evil from before the steam engine.”

The new pony began to laugh.

Alan joined him, and Twi was simply caught between them, wondering where the sudden agreement to pick on her had come from.

“Nice to meet you,” Alan said, once he stopped laughing, “I’m Pendragon Alan Williams.”

“Yeah, yeah I guessed as much. My name’s Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard.”

“There, see Twilight, there’s something you can brag about,” Alan said before holding out his fist to the stallion.

Shining met it with a hoof.

Twilight sighed. This was going to be so much fun.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan was patrolling the streets of Canterlot’s downtown, where the military had set up the recruiting centers. So far the number of volunteers had been encouraging. 72 from Ponyville, 30 from Clousdale, 183 from Manehatten, 235 from Baltimare, 300 from Las Pegasus, 250 from Canterlot, 12 from Appleloosa, 43 from Fillydelphia, 55 from Dodge City, and a whopping 450 from Vanhoover. 1630 mares and stallions total, and more were coming in every day.

Of course, a measly 1600 soldiers was practically nothing...

Fillydelphia needed to send more volunteers.

However, more were coming, more everyday, and that was the one thing that kept Alan hoping.

Pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies all, eager to save their county.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie demands the rank of officer!”

Alan paused, and blinked.

That one was unmistakable. Literally.

Turning, he looked carefully, and sure enough, he saw the blue, purple-caped mare screaming at the top of her lungs at one of the stoic guards who were collecting information from the volunteers.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but rank is given upon review of your skill. I cannot give you a rank at this time.”

“Skill? The Great and Powerful Trixie has more skill than all of these other pests combined!”

Don’t do it, Alan. Don’t do it.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has done much more than you pathetic royal guards could hope to accomplish! She has rerouted rivers, moved mountains, and even defeated an Ursa Major!”

Actually, please do it.

Alan smirked as he approached the table. “Soldier! What is the meaning of this outburst?”

The soldier snapped to attention, saluting. “Sir, this mare wishes to have an officer’s rank upon entry.”

“That’s correct,” Trixie said, throwing her nose in the air. “The Great and Powerful Trixie deserves it!”

Alan nodded to the guard. “Dismissed, soldier, I’ll take care of this one.”

“Yes sir,” the soldier saluted before leaving.

Alan, meanwhile, looked the mare over before picking up the blank form.

“Name,” he read aloud, “‘The Great and Powerful Trixie?’”

Trixie smirked. “That is my name, yes.”

“Special talent: Magic, all types.”

“Indeed.”

“Age: Unknown?”

“It is impolite to ask a lady her age.”

“Major Accomplishments: Defeating an Ursa Major.”

“As if the Great and Powerful Trixie needed to say more.”

Alan nodded, before taking the form in his hands and ripping it in two. “I don’t think so.”

The action left Trixie speechless for a moment.

“Are you mad?” she asked, “The Great and Powerful Trixie is far superior to all of these miscreants by—”

“I know about Ponyville.”

Trixie’s mouth snapped shut.

“I know you’re an arrogant fraud who boasts and brags but can’t deliver when pressed. Now, Miss Trixie, take a good look around at all of the other ponies here.”

She hesitantly obeyed, her eyes doing most of the moving as her head dropped.

“Now, unless you want all of them to know about your little secret shame, I suggest we start again. Sound good?”

She was quiet for a moment. “Yes, sir.”

“Good,” Alan said. “Name?”

“Bellatrix Lulamoon,” she whispered

“Age?”

“T-twenty four.”

“Special Talent?”

“Magic.”

“Subtype?”

She mumbled something.

“Excuse me?”

She looked up, and Alan barely caught the words “Illusion, sir.”

Alan filled out the form. “Based on this, I should put you in Moonbeam Division. However, I am a little hesitant to do so.”

Trixie blinked. “Why?”

“Because the general in charge of Moonbeam Division still remembers the fact that you turned her mane the color of seaweed.”

The mare lowered her head.

“General Twilight Sparkle on the other hand, could use some defensive magic.”

Trixie’s eyes went wide. “Her!?”

“Yes, her, and quite frankly, she’s been meaning to talk to you.”

Her face was pale, and her legs were shaking. “No, no, no. Please, no! Don’t put me under her! Please I’ll clean toilets if I have to, but don’t put me under her!”

“All other divisions have reached their unicorn quota,” Alan said, “Moon and Sun beams are the only ones left. So, which would you have?”

“Moonbeam! Moonbeam!”

“So, you wish to be under the mare that will make your life a living Tartarus?” Alan asked. “I can have quicker deaths arranged.”

Trixie hung her head. “I’m doomed.”

Alan smiled.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Rainbow Dash looked up and down the line of pegasi that were now a part of Phoenix Division, the air force of the Equestrian Military. “Alright, you lazy wastes of feathers. It’s time to start training.”

The soldiers simply stared straight ahead.

“I said, It’s time to start training.”

A few caught on. “Ma’am, yes, ma’am.”

“Do I have to repeat myself?”

They all answered this time. “Ma’am, no ma’am.”

The large number of soldiers were standing in one of Canterlot’s plazas, a large empty space normally used for holding a marketplace, easily 300 hooves across. Her forces currently filled less than half of that.

“Better,” she mumbled before she opened up the projector screen behind her. From behind them, a projector began to roll, and an image of a griffon appeared. “This is your target.”

The soldiers were silent.

“While flying,” she continued, “the Griffin is at his most agile, and therefore, most deadly. Because of that, it’s our job to make sure they stay out of the air.

“Now the good news is,” Rainbow Dash continued, “that we pegasi have a couple of tricks that they can’t do. Namely, weather. And the Pendragon wants us to use it to our advantage.”

“How?” a voice asked from the crowd, and the ponies immediately surrounding the source cleared out to give him room, revealing a grey pegasus stallion. “How is weather going to beat a bunch of born murderers?”

Rainbow Dash approached the pony. “What now?”

“You heard me, Ma’am,” he replied with defiant tone.

“Why I oughta...”

“General Dash,” a voice behind her warned, and everypony snapped to attention.

She turned to see Alan standing there, dressed in everything but his duster and boots. However, what really caught her attention were the fifteen blue-clad, lighting-trimmed pegasi behind him.

“I was coming here to introduce you to your fifteen new troops, but it seems I have to take care of something else.”

The grey pegasus gulped, but he stood his ground.

“Soldier, front and center,” Alan ordered.

The pony came forward.

“Name?” Alan asked.

“Thundersight, sir.”

“Private Thundersight, tell me, how much does the average Griffon weigh?”

“Around a hundred pounds, sir.”

“Alright,” Alan said as he walked across the floor. He walked across the plaza, counting his paces before he suddenly stopped. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a stick of chalk. One he had begun to carry to help ponies visualize his plans. He then drew a line, half a hoof thick. “Tell, me,” Alan said as he drew, “how many pounds can the average pony lift.”

“Seventy-five pounds, sir.” Thundersight answered.

“Well, it’s been awhile since I’ve weighed myself, but let’s call it at around 170.”

Thundersight blinked.

“Private, you are going to carry me from there, to here.”

The pony blinked again, the distance was maybe 15 hooves, not an extremely long distance, but a sizeable one considering his load.

“And you are going to do it blindfolded.”

The pegasus blinked again.

“Does anyone have a blindfold?” Alan asked.

The crowd, probably more curious to find out what was going on than anything, was quickly able to scourge up a black band of cloth.

Taking it gracefully from an offering hoof, Alan quickly wrapped the cloth around Thundersight’s eyes.

His world was engulfed in darkness before a sudden, almost unbearable weight fell on his back.

“Now walk,” the Pendragon’s voice said.

Something in the pegasi stirred, a force, a drive to follow that order. It was only because of this feeling that he managed the first step forward. The Pendragon weighed a friggin’ ton. “With all due respect, sir,” Thundersight said, taking a second step, “You’re heavy.”

“Come on, Private, move.”

Step after step, Thundersight moved, placing one hoof in front of the other.

The soldiers began to cheer.

“Come on, Thundersight, keep going,” Alan said.

The stallion plodded forward, straining and grunting under the weight. “Have-have I made it to the line?”

“Just keep going.”

More agonizing weight, a few more painfully slow steps.

“Keep going,” Alan encouraged.

The cheering began to fade.

“Keep going, Private,” Alan urged.

Thundersight stumbled for a second, tripping on an unseen stone.

“Don’t you give up on me.”

Thundersight moved forward a few more steps.

“Don’t you fail me now.”

The word struck a cord in the pegasus, and he began to push himself a little harder.

“That’s it, come on, just a few more steps.”

Thundersight couldn’t hear it for his own panting, but the plaza was in total silence.

“Five more steps, Private. Four more. Three more, Come on, only two left. One more step just one more!”

Thundersight took the last step and collapsed, and felt a sudden rush of relief as Alan rolled off of him.

“Private, remove the blindfold.”

The pegasus did so, and his mouth dropped as he did.

The line he had to cross, the one Alan had drawn, was far behind him. In fact, those 15 hooves were tiny in comparison to the 200 he had crossed. The line of soldiers were staring at him mouths open wide.

“How much can a pony lift?” Alan asked, smiling.

Thundersight gulped down some air before answering, “More than seventy five pounds, sir.”

Alan picked the pony up, and set him on his hooves. “Now, If I told you you’d be able to carry a hundred and seventy pounds a distance of two hundred hooves, would you have believed me?”

Thundersight couldn’t help but smile. “No, sir.”

“Do you trust me now?”

“Sir, yes, sir.”

Alan stood, turning to the gathered pegasi. “They may be born killers, they may be natural hunters, but you have far more potential than that. Look at me, no claws, no fangs, I’m not as fast as you, no wings to fly, but my race has dominated our world. Lions, tigers, bears, all creatures stronger, faster, and better equipped than primitive man were dominated from the beginning. If we could do it, then I know you can.”

The ponies simply stared.

“General Dash, they’re all yours.”

“Sir, yes, sir.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Spike! Spike! Where are you?” Alan cried. This was the fourth place he’d checked. The firing range, where Twilight’s Sunbeam Division, the magical offense, were practicing.

“Coming!” the purple dragon answered before vaulting over one of the many railings in the building that divided the ranges. “What is it?”

Alan smiled. “Well, I was thinking; how can I help my only fingered friend to be a better fighter? So I had an idea, but I want to know if it works.”

“Oh? What did you do?”

“Now, hang on a second, I’ve got to test this first,” the Pendragon said, reaching under his now-armor-plated duster. He pulled out his hand to reveal a golden tube on a piece of wood. It looked like a poorly designed club, actually. “I’ve had a word with the engineers, and they were able to whip this up for me.”

Spike blinked. “What is it?”

“This, my dear dragon, is called a flintlock pistol. It’s a devastating ranged weapon, but it has historically had a long reload time. However, I think we may have a solution in you.”

Spike blinked again as Alan reached back into his coat and pulled out what looked like a tube wrapped in paper.

“This is the correct amount of powder, as well as the bullet and everything else you’d need, so it’d be much faster anyway. However, I kept remembering that your messaging fire doesn’t actually light things on fire. So I thought to myself; what if you could teleport the load directly into the gun? Could you try that for me?”

“Uh, I can try, but what exactly am I doing?”

“You’re putting this,” he said, holding up the paper tube, “in here,” he pointed to the back of the golden tube.

“Alright, here it goes...” Spike said, taking a deep breath. Firing off a jet of emerald flame, the paper disintegrated, disappearing from sight completely.

Alan’s smile got bigger. Standing, he held the pistol out, aiming at a downrange target. He cocked, and fired.

A thunder-like boom echoed in the room, and green smoke erupted from the barrel of the gun.

The target downrange had been obliterated in the blink of an eye, and the gathered unicorns in the room were now staring at Alan in awe.

Alan looked the gun over. “Not bad.” He turned to Spike, handing him the pistol. “Take good care of her. She’s the only one in the world right now.”

“Right now?” Spike asked, echoing Alan’s words.

The human smirked. “Pistols always work better in pairs.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Pinkamena Pie glared at her soldiers.

They could feel it.

“Listen up,” she said, her mane straight and eyes fierce. “Welcome to Thunderstorm Division. You little punks are going to be in charge of the artillery. Each one of you is about to become uncomfortably familiar with every cannon, mortar, and rocket the Equestrian Military has to offer, understand?”

“Ma’am, yes, ma’am!” the soldiers answered.

“You will function like a well-oiled machine,” she said, walking down the line. “You will know your tasks by heart. You will load, clean, light, aim, and fire in quick succession, in that order. Understand?”

“Ma’am, yes, ma’am!”

She singled out a single soldier, getting ridiculously close as she stared him in the eyes. “Good, because if you don’t you will single-hoofedly be re-defining the term ‘live’ ammunition. Understand?”

The soldiers shook in fear at the mental image, but answered. “Ma’am, yes Ma’am!”

“Good. Now grab a cupcake and a cannon, we have some work to do!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Um, stand at attention, please,” Fluttershy ordered. Well...suggested...

The majority of the soldiers ignored her.

“Um, please.”

Still nothing from the gathered ponies.

Fluttershy sighed, this was the second week, and still had yet to begin their proper training. It was only because of Nurse Redheart that they had managed to get their First Aid training, but even so...

“Excuse me, Miss Fluttershy, but can I be of assistance?”

She turned and saw the Doctor, standing there, fairly relaxed.

“Um, yes, please.”

“Gladly, on one condition.”

“What?”

“I have...somepony I need to protect. However, genetics at the moment make it a little difficult for me to do so. So, what I need you to do, is make sure she’s safe, and in exchange, I’ll help you with your troops. Sound fair?”

Fluttershy nodded.

The Doctor nodded in return, before he let loose a piercing whistle.

The soldiers winced before they all stared at the offender.

“She said, ‘Attention.’”

The ponies slowly began to line up, and gathered themselves in some semblance of order.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Trixie gulped.

She was standing in front of General Sparkle’s door, frozen still.

She had been summoned by the unicorn, and as a certified private of Sunbeam Division, she had no choice but to answer.

It was not helping her nerves though...

Oh, come on! You are the Great and Powerful Trixie! You are the most powerful unicorn Equestria has ever seen!

Except, you know, the mare behind this door lifted a whole Ursa Minor up and away to Celestia-knows where...

She stood in front of the door, staring at it for a few more minutes. Finally, after wishing they had at the very least let her keep her cape, she opened the door. “General...?”

“Private Lulamoon, or should I call you the Great and Powerful Trixie?” a humorous voice asked. “Come on inside.”

Trixie took a few hesitant steps in, letting the door close behind her.

“Do you like tea?” Twilight asked, hovering a teacup in the air.

She looked positively dangerous in her armor which, again, did not help her nerves...

“N-no, thank you.”

Twilight glanced at her, catching the stutter. “Trixie, there’s no need to be afraid of me, I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Then why did you call me here?”

Twilight smiled, “You’re the only defensive magician in the division, I wanted to talk strategy over a nice cup of tea.”

Trixie blinked.

“I also wanted to get to know you. After all, if we’re going to be friends, we’ve got to start somewhere.”

Trixie blinked again.

She was either being totally serious, or her plan for vengeance was somewhere on the same level as the Count de Monte Bristro.

Proceed with caution...

<<<|Ω|>>>

“General Dash!” Alan said, his finger to his ear, using the new communicator that the engineering branch had finished.

“Sir, yes, sir!” he heard her reply in his ear.

“I am requesting one of your fastest fliers to act as a courier.”

“I’ll send someone right away.”

Alan nodded as he stroked the soft fabric in his hands.

Before long, a white pegasus with a golden yellow mane appeared. She wore the Wonderbolt blue and a pair of goggles. “Sir!” she saluted, before bursting into a fit of giggles. “Surprise, sir!”

Ah, yes, Pinkie’s cousin Surprise. The crazy pegasus was quite the flyer, and while Pinkie questioned her sanity, they both shared a love for parties and sweets.

Rainbow had exclaimed, “Sweet Celestia! Now there’s two of them!”

“Surprise, I have a job for you.”

“Sir!”

Alan careful unfurled the fabric, revealing the ebony background with the silver dragon. “I need you to fly south, to the town of Appleloosa, and look for the Running Thunder Tribe. Ask for Chief Thunderhooves and give this to him.”

“Sir?”

“Tell him I want him to return it to me personally.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

The month passed slowly, four weeks of training, and a total soldier count of 2400 soldiers.

Of course scouts said that the approaching Griffons were 4000 strong.

Alan smirked as he raised the glass to his lips. They’d be in for a surprise, wouldn’t they?

The ponies had been outfitted with whatever weapons could be found or made. The generals had picked captains, two each, which were in charge of twelve lieutenants each who were, in turn, in charge of ten sergeants, each sergeant leading a squad of ponies. Each squad of infantry was armed with at least two swords, two spears, and two clubs, or other such weapons, allowing them to meet different threats. Each pegasus in Phoenix Division was armed with special horseshoes that had two long claws coming of the ends, useful for stabbing and such. Pinkie had her cannons, the Sun and Moonbeam Divisions were well armored, and had all sorts of magic to help them. Nightingale Division didn’t need any weapons, they were couriers and medics.

Chief Thunderhooves had arrived with 40 braves, and they had gone through and taught the ponies more than a few tricks in unarmed combat, something that Alan was very thankful for.

Spike had taken a liking to his pistols, and was now fairly accurate with them.

Applejack had taken to using a bladed chain as her weapon, she said it was just as easy to use as a rope, so it only made sense.

Fluttershy still hadn’t gotten her division to function properly, and it was only thanks to the Doctor that they were even remotely prepared.

Twilight had had a long talk with Trixie, and finally convinced the showpony that she wasn’t out for revenge.

Rainbow Dash had said she was living the dream, flying with the Wonderbolts of all ponies.

Pinkie had the artillery working at an almost professional level, encouraging them with smiles and sweets when they did well, and threatening terrible punishment when they didn’t.

Rarity had all of Canterlot rigged with illusions, and had assured Alan that not an inch was left uncovered.

They were all going to die.

Alan threw back his head, downing the liquid in a single gulp. It wasn’t that he was being pessimistic, it was just the law of averages. Their force was almost outnumbered two-to-one, and were horrendously under-trained. None of them were ready for combat.

His eyes scanned the dark room he was sitting in, the bedroom that he had stayed in upon his first visit to Canterlot.

Celestia had said that the Pendragon’s official room was still under construction.

They were all going to die...

Alan filled his glass and took another drink. They were all going to die and they'd be on his hands...

Thoughts of hundreds of ponies, all dead, all mutilated, every single one of them bloodied and broken. Ponies he had begun to recognize by name. Silver Pauldrons, Shining Armor, Lyra Heartstrings. Dead. Dead. Dead. He felt his throat tighten at the thought of even closer friends lying in the pile of bodies. Rarity, Pinkie, Dashie, AJ, Fluttershy, and...oh heaven forbid, Twilight...

He wasn't ready for this. Sure, he knew about ancient gun mechanics, sure, he knew about the basics of warfare, yes, he got in a few fights, but this was an honest to goodness war. A war that he started. Well, not directly, but it didn't really manner at this point.

His hands shook, anxious for what was about to happen.

He took a second to calm them.

Don't do this, Al. Come on, pull yourself together, man. They're counting on you.

He had heard it for the past month, encouragement about how the great Pendragon was going to lead them to victory. How he was going to stare the enemy in the face and laugh. How, no matter what monsters they had, he would slay anyone who opposed them.

With a reputation like that proceeding him, he couldn't afford to be anxious.

Alan filled the glass again and a quickly downed that before realizing it'd be easier just to drink from the bottle.

The door opened. “Alan, are you in here?”

It was Twilight. “Present,” he mumbled.

Twilight looked with wide eyes at the room, glass bottles lay everywhere along the floor, and the human in question sat slumped in a chair. “A-are you drunk?” she asked.

Alan laughed in response. “No...no. I wish I was drunk, though. Today’s too important for me to get drunk, not with so many lives hanging in the balance.”

Twilight nodded, moving next to the chair, and sitting next to him. “Are you going to be ok?”

Alan sighed, “I hope so.” He paused, looking her over for a second. “Is it time?”

She nodded. “The enemy force is approaching.”

“Is the fog in place?”

“Yes.”

Alan nodded, before standing, letting the bottle he was holding clatter to the floor. “Time to get out there, then,” he said, pulling his hat over his eyes.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Celestia watched as her soldiers took their places, standing along the walls, banners flew in the soft wind as evening approached. Luna stood next to her, and Celestia couldn’t help but shake her head.

“I hoped it would never come to this.”

Luna nodded, but said nothing.

“Faust help us.”

They heard a soft chuckle from behind them. “Dear Tia, I already have.”

Both royals turned to see the white alicorn standing there, her mane as messy as it was red, and the quill on her flank made her unmistakable. She wore nothing, no regalia, no crown, although by rights, she deserved both. Her soft blue eyes smiled in a way that made the two sister forget all of their troubles for a brief moment.

They bowed low, an act that was neither conscious, nor meaningless.

“Stand, my daughters,” Faust said, taking a few steps toward them.

They stood, and as they did, they recognized the other figure in the room.

“Death,” Celestia greeted impassively.

Death said nothing, his eyes falling to the floor.

“I suppose today will be busy for you?” the solar princess asked.

Death continued to stare at the floor. “I’ll make them as painless as possible.”

Celestia opened her mouth, but twin glances from both her sister and mother told her not to speak further.

Faust stepped up to the window they had been staring out of. “I already have helped both of you, my dears. His name is Alan.”

The two blinked, before nodding.

“He is the greatest help I can give you, and do be sure to reward him.”

“With what?” Luna asked.

Faust smile, as she held up her hoof, where a golden ball of magic began to form. Taking it, she gently placed it at the tip of Celestia’s horn, when it melded with the princess.

Celestia’s eye widened at the power that had just gone into her. It was borderline obscene. It was enough to turn weeds into mountains, or dew drops into oceans, o-or to send someone across time and space...

“You’ll know what to do with it when the time comes,” Faust said. “I must go now, my daughters, but I want you to know, I’m proud of both of you.” She then took both of them in a hug, before fading away.

Celestia and Luna held on for as long as they could, but eventually they had to go.

Luna gave a soft smile before her face went grim, reminded of the war that was about to rage below them. “I will go and prepare our armor,” she said before exiting the room, leaving only Death and Celestia.

Celestia bit her lip. She had gone and opened her big mouth again. The look on Death’s face spoke volumes about how much he hated his job. Or more accurately, how much he hated doing a job that she hated. “Death, I—”

“I better get to work,” Death interrupted, turning to leave.

“Death, wait.”

Death didn’t wait, didn’t even slow down as he headed to the door.

She barely heard him say, “I’m sorry, Celly...”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Sir,” Alan heard over his communicator, “we have reports that the main force of the griffon army will be within cannon range in 42 minutes.”

“Understood,” Alan answered.

He stood underneath his banner, which flapped in the breeze as night approached. Beside him, stood his six generals, as well as Shining Armor and Silver Pauldrons, his own two captains. Before him, a wall of solid fog, placed their by the working hooves of Phoenix Division. Behind him, 2400 soldiers waiting for what could very well be their doom.

It was much too quiet.

He turned to face them, all of them, and they held his gaze expectantly.

This was it. All of the books and war movies he had ever seen would finally pay off in this moment. All of the speeches he had ever heard would be put to the test here. He opened his mouth, and felt it dry instantly.

He swallowed before looking over to Rarity. “Can I get some help here?”

She nodded, and her horn began to glow. As it did, Alan felt his throat strengthen.

He looked back up into the waiting eyes of thousands of ponies and spoke. “I have nothing to offer you,” his voice sounded loud in his own ears as it was magnified by the unicorn next to him, “but blood, sweat, tears, and toil. I have nothing to offer, no promise of victory, no promise of safety, and no guarantee that you will make it home.

“But, but that’s the thing about war. It’s not about me, it’s not about you, it isn’t about them,” he said, waving towards the fog, “it’s about those we’ve left behind.” He paused for a second. “It’s about the fillies and the colts that wake early every day for school. It’s about the mares and stallions who work hard every day to bring food to the table. It’s about your wives and husbands, your brothers and sisters, your friends who are not here.

“That’s why we are here today. For them, and we should be honored.

“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers and sister in arms, we are their protectors, we are their guardians, and in my mind, there is no greater honor.

“We are their last hope.”

Those five words echoed across the walls.

“There may be a day when we turn on our friends, and betray their trust. There may be a day when we abandon our homes to save ourselves. There may be a day when courage fails and fears reigns. There may be a day when these very walls come crashing down and Canterlot is laid to waste.”

Alan smiled. “But it is not this day.”

“So stand with me, my little ponies, wave the battle flag and stand. Stand for Fillydelphia.”

A cheer from the Fillydelphian soldiers rose.

“Stand for Vanhoover.”

Another cheer.

“Stand for Baltimare.”

More cheering.

“Stand for Manehatten.”

The crowd was thundering.

“Stand for all of the cities, from coast to coast.”

The remainder of the soldiers added their voice.

“Stand for Equestria! Victory at all costs! For Equestria!”

The two words, “For Equestria!” echoed back at him.

“The Griffons are coming, but I say let them come!”

“For Equestria!” The battle flags were waving.

“Let them come!”

“For Equestria!”

“Let! Them! Come!”

--------------------------------

And scene.

Next chapter, some pretty epic moments from a few of the main cast.

“Does that include me?

It sure does Pinkie.

“This is going to be so much fun.”

“Buck yeah it is!”

By the way, guys, got a couple of updates for you. First off, if you thought that Alan’s outburst was a little OOC last chapter, a revision has been made to make it a little more believable.

Second, EQD has decided not to post my story.

“What?”

Yeah, they said I was good, but not good enough to warrant an exception to their no-Brony-in-Equestria-stories rule.

“So all of this editing was for nothing?”

“OH COME ON!”

No, I mean, it definitely makes the story that much better, its just that EQD didn’t take this one. They did say they would gladly post other works of mine, so long as they weren't BiEs. So, you know, one day in the future.

“Sad day...but at least you’re taking it well.”

Well, it was a bit of a long shot anyway. So, be sure to fave, comment, whatever, and hope to see you guys soon.

Bye!