• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 34,127 Views, 2,568 Comments

A Novice Swordsman in the Canterlot Court - DungeonMiner



Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.-William Shakespear. This story is about the latter. Alan Williams, a man trying to take a peaceful camping trip, finds himself in Equestria. Greatness follows.

  • ...
190
 2,568
 34,127

15-Pendragon Rising

Chapter 15

Celestia took a long and slow sip of tea as she gazed at the “ambassador” across the table through half-lidded eyes.

The griffon, General Markus Ironclaw, was very smartly dressed, his scarlet formal wear adorned with several dozen medals and badges from more than a few campaigns. Around his wrists he wore silver bands, a marking of his rank as well as a sign of his royal blood. His red-tinged plumage was well kept, and Celestia could tell that he, or at the very least, his servants, spent more than a few hours preparing him for this visit.

There was a scar running the length of his face, barely missing his left eye, which squinted a little compared to the right. It was a long, three clawed scratch, left by the four-toed ligers far to the south of the empire. This, of course, meant that the General here fought his own battles, and he earned those medals rather than a select few of his ancestors that simply ordered their griffins around.

Celestia lowered her cup of tea and stared at the griffin in silence.

His wings fluttered, revealing missing primary feathers as well as a few more scars.

He was anxious.

Celestia took another long sip of tea, and the General simply stood, waiting.

He was also patient.

“General Ironclaw,” the princess spoke at last. “What brings you to my kingdom?”

“Tragedy, I’m afraid,” the griffin said. “As of last month, the lord Sir Byron Goldbelly, was murdered in his bedroom.”

Celestia’s remained impassive as she took another sip of her tea. “How dreadful. However, I don’t see how Equestria is involved in this.”

Ironclaw answered by pulling out a plaster cast. “There is no easy way to say this, your majesty, however it seems that the guilty party may be taking refuge in Equestria.”

“Well, I am sure that you should be able to find the griffon responsible; there are only a hoof-ful in Equestria at a time.”

“A griffon did not kill Lord Goldbelly,” the general said, setting the plaster down on the table.

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Surely you aren’t suggesting a pony murdered him?”

“No, it was no griffon, no pony, no liger, no minotaur; nothing that we are familiar with.”

“Then what?” the Princess asked, staring intently at the general.

A hardly noticeable smirk flew across the general’s beak. He nodded towards the cast. “He left his print, your majesty.”

From where she sat, Celestia picked it up with her magical might and held the item up so she could see it.

Her face remained impassive as she stared at the handprint, the human’s rather distinct five-fingered palm staring back at her.

“From what I understand, Lord Warbeak briefly saw a human here at the Grand Galloping Gala a few months ago. We believe he is the one responsible.”

Celestia set the plaster down and took yet another sip of tea. “General,” she said, clearing her throat, “while your appetite for justice is commendable, in Equestria, we try the accused in their presence. Likewise, I will not discuss his guilt or innocence until he is with us.”

Ironclaw nodded, a small, well-hidden smile on his face. “Of course, of course, I understand completely.”

Celestia gave him a small, fake smile. “Thank you for understanding. I will summon him, and he should arrive within a week.”

Yes. A week should be enough time to be sure...

“In the meantime,” the Princess continued, “please, enjoy your stay.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan laughed, before cutting himself off.

Twilight hated when he laughed like that.

“Sorry,” he said, parrying her attack.

“Just don’t do that!” she said, spinning her “sword” around at him.

He ducked under it, coming up behind her defense.

She quickly jumped backwards, narrowly avoiding the incoming stick.

Alan suddenly ducked as Twi’s own weapon came flying overhead. “You should have gotten your sword back faster.”

“I was busy jumping,” she said, going in for another attack.

Alan parried her charge to the side, and with a powerful swing, tapped at her chest. “Touche,” he said.

Twilight sighed, before dropping her stance.

“You got too close that time,” Alan said, taking her stick as well as his.

Twilight gave a frustrated groan. “Why is this so much harder to do?”

“Harder than what?”

“It’s just much harder to fight down here than up there,” she said, waving in the direction of the balcony where she would control her mana ponies.

“Well, of course it’s harder,” Alan said, setting the sticks up in their designated place. “Up there you’re watching from above, you can think clearly. Down here, it’s like having stage fright, except the audience is trying to kill you.”

Twilight huffed.

“Hey now,” Alan scolded, “no need to get all pouty-wouty.”

Twi glanced at him. “Pouty-wouty?”

“I think Pinkie may be rubbing off on me.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, but smiled slightly.

A sudden belch from the kitchen got their attention.

“I really hope he didn’t hit the cookbooks,” Alan said as Spike walked into the main room, scroll in hand.

Twilight, doing as she always did, took the scroll and read it. She reread it before giving the gathered audience the shortened version. “Celestia wants to see you in Canterlot. Something about a foreign dignitary wanting to see you.”

“Really? That’s weird,” Alan said.

“She also wants me to gather the others—apparently this is a pretty big deal.”

“But she didn’t say what?”

“No, she’s awfully vague with this letter,” she said, checking the back just in case.

“Alright, well, you go get the girls. I’ll make myself ready to present myself for royalty.”

Twilight nodded before heading out of the library while Alan began to head upstairs. Halfway up, a thought occurred to him. “Hey, Spike.”

“Yeah?” the dragon answered.

“Is it just me or has Twi been acting a little weird?”

“You mean other than climbing into bed with you for every night for the past month and half?”

“That sounds a lot worse than it is, and yes, other than that.”

“No, not really.”

“Well, gee, thanks,” Alan said, continuing to his room.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Celestia watched carefully as the general prodded at the meal that she had provided for him.

Since Equestria was very much lacking in hunters, her staff couldn’t really prepare any meat for him, and while griffons were known to occasionally partake of fruits and vegetables, they were predominantly carnivores.

The lack of flesh was wearing the general thin.

He poked at the dish, made entirely out of apples and grass, picking the fruit carefully out of the blades of inedible vegetation.

“Will he arrive soon?” he asked, looking up from his meal in an attempt to distract himself.

“Indeed,” was the only reply.

The general said nothing.

Finally, the door opened, and Celestia’s herald spoke. “Announcing Sir Alan Williams of Earth, Hero of Equestria, Defeater of Discord, Wielder of Judgement, and Heir of Arthur. Accompanying him, are: Miss Twilight Sparkle, student of the Princess Celestia, and Bearer of the Element of Magic, Defeater of Discord.

“Miss Rainbow Dash, Bearer of the Element of Loyalty, Defeater of Discord.

“Miss Pinkamena Pie, Bearer of the Element of Laughter, Defeater of Discord.

“Miss Applejack, Bearer of the Element of Honesty, Defeater of Discord.

“Miss Rarity, Bearer of the Element of Generosity, Defeater of Discord, and Miss Fluttershy, Bearer of the Element of Kindness, Defeater of Discord.”

Once properly introduced, the seven guests entered the room. Alan was dressed in his suit, the one with the ruby-lined hems, Judgement hanging from his side. The others were clothed in simple dresses. Except, of course, for Rarity, who wore the most opulent thing Celestia had seen since the very first Gala.

“Welcome my little ponies,” Celestia said with a smile, “and welcome to you as well, Sir Alan.”

“Princess Celestia,” Alan greeted with a bow, “how may we be of service?”

“You can start by explaining why you killed a griffin noble,” the general said, standing.

“Excuse me?” Alan asked.

Celestia sent the general a glare, informing him to shut up.

Ironclaw hesitantly sat.

“Alan,” Celestia said, once she was happy with the griffin, “why don’t you take a seat?”

They sat, wondering at the griffon, as well as Celestia’s vague manner.

While he was sitting, Alan gave the griffon a long, hard look. The scar on his face was not ugly by any means, but it was something of a surprise that anyone, pony or otherwise, in Equestria would have a scar such as that. The general's yellow eyes instantly brought Volo's to mind, but that thought was soon dismissed once the stare turned haughty. A sneer appeared on the General's face, and a hint of malice joined the arrogance in his eyes.

Alan didn't like him.

Once everyone had been seated, the Princess spoke. “It seems a handprint was found at the scene of a crime in the Empire of Gryphus across the sea.”

“What crime?” Twi asked.

“The murder of the noble Sir Byron Goldbelly. It happened one month and one week ago as of Tuesday.”

“That was the day after Discord’s defeat,” Rarity noted.

“Yes,” Ironclaw mumbled. “The defeat that we have heard so much about.”

“Well, then, it couldn’t have been Alan,” Twilight said. “He was unconscious in the hospital that day.”

Alan had said nothing, holding his stare against the General's own, a frown deepening on his lips.

“An interesting alibi,” the general scoffed, holding Alan's glare, “but it ultimately falls short.”

“Yeah,” Alan said, sarcasm dripping from his voice. “Because I can do so many things while being comatose.”

The griffon frowned, standing, “I will be addressed with respect by the likes of civilians like you.”

Alan leaned over the table. “And I will give respect to those who have earned it, and so far the only thing you’ve earned is—”

“Alan,” Celestia said, cutting him short, “I did not call you here for petty arguing.”

Alan nodded before sitting down, the griffin wearing a smug grin.

“I see the Princess keeps her dear pet in check,” The general smirked, before whispering just loudly enough to hear “just as well in court as the bedroom.”

Alan jumped back up to his feet, Rainbow Dash with him. “Say that again,” he dared.

“Alan,” Celestia warned.

Alan glared at the griffon before he sat again.

“Now, as for you, General.”

“Yes?” he asked.

“It is well documented that Alan was in fact in the hospital on the day of the murder, and since it takes at least two weeks to cross the ocean, he could not have been in the empire at that time.”

“By conventional travel,” Ironclaw said.

“Pardon?”

“It takes two weeks to get there by conventional travel,” the General repeated. “Answer me this, your Highness, how long does teleportation take?”

Celestia didn’t answer.

“It’s instantaneous is it not? Therefore, distance traveled is not an issue. All that’s needed is the help of a very powerful unicorn, and did your herald not say that Miss Sparkle there is the Bearer of the Element of Magic?”

“You leave them out of this,” Alan warned.

“Oh?” The griffon smirked. “Perhaps they are innocent, but that still leaves my question unanswered. After all, who else would have so much power to send someone of your considerable bulk across the sea?” He turned his head, staring Celestia in the eye. “Who indeed?”

Alan’s eye twitched.

“Are you implying something, General?” Celestia asked coolly, sipping on her tea.

“Possibly.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, obviously not amused. “Alan was still unconscious, and as he so wisely pointed out, he couldn’t do anything in that state.”

“The evidence says otherwise,” the griffin said, sliding the plaster cast across the table. “Doesn't it?”

Alan looked down at the cast, a perfect impression of a hand. A hand his size.

Even if it wasn’t a perfect fit, it would be close enough to incriminate him.

Staring at the cast, he spoke, calmly. “How did he die?”

“What?” the General asked.

“How was he killed?”

Ironclaw raised an eyebrow. “Strangulation.”

Alan smirked. “Then it wasn’t me.”

“But the print—”

“Have you ever heard of the Death of a Thousand Cuts?” Alan asked, interrupting. “Invented in China, the process included one thousand, individual cuts on the body. None of the cuts would be deep enough to cause death on their own, but combined, they bring about one of the slowest and most agonizing deaths known to my people.”

The ponies around the room stared at him with wide eyes.

“No cut crosses any major artery or vein. Rather, they are slow, methodical, almost superficial wounds that cover the body from head to toe, letting the blood slowly seep out of the victim almost as slow as his own life.” Alan looked at the griffin right in the eyes. “If I wanted someone dead, general, it would be an ordeal.”

Total silence hovered in the room.

Alan picked up the mold and tossed it behind him, where it shattered upon hitting the floor. “Now, you have been rude, annoying, insulting, and quite frankly, I just don’t like you, so why don’t you apologize, or I’ll start with cut number one.”

Ironclaw stood, his face red, shaking with rage. “Did I not say I will be treated with respect? And now you threaten me?” He thrust the table away from him, moving it barely an inch, as he began to leave. “When I return to the Empire, they will hear about this, and it will be war!”

Alan stood. “Who says you get to go back?”

The griffin paused, hesitating for a second.

“I do,” Celestia said from her throne. “You may go, General.”

The griffon turned, and looking to the Princess he said three words that made almost everyone in the room tremble. “This is war.”

And with that he left, the door shutting behind him.

Silence.

And then the room exploded in noise. The royal guards, normally quiet and collected, began shouting questions at each other and wondering aloud if they would be put on the front line. The Mane Six, not being so disciplined, were almost rioting in panic.

Alan stood stock still, his eyes widening as he suddenly realized what he had done.

“Silence,” Celestia ordered, and the room went quiet.

Alan stood, staring at the door. “Oh what have I done?”

Celestia was quiet for a second.

“Alan,” she said, sternly. “Come here.”

Alan turned to face the impassive face of the equine ruler, her one visible eye scowling at him.

Gulping, Alan approached.

What had he just done? Insulted and threatened an ambassador, a well decorated general, no less, and brought war to the peaceful country of Equestria. He was probably going to die a very painful death for this. Did ponies know about being hung, drawn, and quartered?

The Princess stared at him, her singular gaze ripping through his very soul. “Do you realize what you’ve just done?” she asked simply.

“Brought war upon Equestria?” he said, hoping his honesty would give him some lenience.

“No,” Celestia said, before breaking into a smile. “You made the poor General leave a mess on my floor.”

Alan blinked.

Celestia chuckled to herself, before her face went grim again. “No, I’m afraid that he would have declared war whether or not I handed you over. For the past week the General has been stalking my castle, checking its defense, and it is only because I have lived so long that I have hidden its strengths as weaknesses and its weaknesses, strengths.”

Alan blinked again.

She sighed, before looking him straight in the eye. “We are going to war,” she said. “We need our Pendragon.”

Alan’s jaw clenched, his eyes narrowed.

He nodded.

<<<|Ω|>>>

The emergency train had the mane six and Alan arrive back in Ponyville in no time, and Alan wasted none of it before getting back to his room.

The train car on the way over was filled with panicked mumblings between the mares. Alan, however, was silently thinking about what this meant for him.

Twilight had been silent too.

Off came the suit, on went the toughest clothes he had, the set that Rarity said could take anything. Then the blades, all of them, the throwing knives, the sheath knife, and Judgement slid back into place after being moved so he could change. Then the duster, Volo’s perch, and his hat.

Twilight just watched.

Turning to his bedside table he opened the drawer. Reaching in, he reverently pulled out two, small items. The first, a purple-tinged, ebony claw, hollowed out as a horn. The other, a black banner with a silver dragon. Taking the Horn of Arthur by the long, leather strap, he tied it to his belt before throwing the banner over his shoulder.

Twilight watched silently.

Without another word, Alan exited his room, passing the mare on his way out.

She looked nervous.

The Princesses would arrive shortly; they had left barely after he and the mares did, but they had a chariot.

He had to make his entrance.

<<<|Ω|>>>

Derpy, mailmare by profession, assistant by choice, suddenly found herself at ends with herself. On the one hoof, she had to deliver a package to one Carrot Top, from the weight and size, she guessed it was perhaps a new watering can. On the other hoof, she had to stop The Doctor from ruining his appetite with...those monstrosities.

“No!” she yelled. “Don’t you even think about eating that!”

“But, but it’s just an english muffin,” he whimpered.

“It doesn’t even look like a muffin!” she cried. “It’s a really small, really thick, poorly baked pancake!”

The Doctor opened his mouth in an attempt to defend this particular regeneration’s favorite breakfast food, when he saw something in the corner of his eye. Blinking, he turned and saw a golden chariot, pulled by two white, gold clad pegasi, followed closely by a dark blue, almost black chariot pulled by black, blue clad pegasi. “Are those what I think they are?” he asked.

The wall-eyed pegasus looked up, or, would have, had her eyes been properly aligned. She shook her head furiously, and, blinking, adjusted her eyes. “Better,” she mumbled, before looking up.

Her jaw dropped.

“That’s what I thought,” the Doctor said.

They weren’t the only ones to see it either, as a crowd began to gather.

The two royal chariots landed, resting in front of the town hall, the Princesses of both day and night seated regally on them. More ponies began to gather as a ripple of murmurs flew through the town, and it was not long before all of Ponyville surrounded the chariots.

The hushed murmurs of ponies was a practical cacophony as they all asked variations of the same question. What happened that forced both Princesses to visit their small town of Ponyville?

Celestia raised a hoof to her mouth, as if to clear her throat, and the ponies silenced themselves.

Celestia let the silence hang for a second, and sighed. “My little ponies, we have come with dreadful news. It seems that after one millennium of peace, we are endangered again by the threat of war.”

A collective gasp rippled outward, and another worried murmur broke out amongst the gathered ponies.

“We ask for thine silence,” Luna said, perhaps a little too loud, but nonetheless, it got their attention. The one perk to the Royal Canterlot Voice.

Celestia continued. “As we speak, the Griffon General is readying to leave our borders. Once he reaches his own shore, he will be raising an army.” Celestia lowered her head, and the ponies watched as their strong ruler transformed into a sorrowful pony. “I hate to ask this of you,” she said, almost whispering, “but at a time like this, Equestria needs soldiers.” She raised her head again. “We need strong, courageous mares and stallions to stand today, to be willing to lay down everything for the protection of Equestria. Which of you will do this?”

There was silence.

And then the crowd erupted into bedlam.

Ponies began yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs, wondering aloud about their soon-to-be-disrupted lives, the deaths of loved ones, or worse, their own. Celestia tried to speak again, but no one paid enough attention to give her the silence.

Luna was about to shout again when suddenly, two, loud, long, crystal clear notes echoed in the air.

The crowd collectively shivered as something that felt like electricity flew down their spines. The crowd searched, trying to find the source of the noise. Once they had, they saw Alan, a horn in his hand, and a bird on his shoulder. “I will,” he said.

The ponies parted like the Red Sea before Moses as Alan approached, watching him in quiet awe. With a few quick steps with his long legs, he was standing before both Princesses. “I volunteer as a soldier. I would prefer to die for something than to live for nothing.”

Celestia nodded, and the sisters asked in unison. “Sir Alan Williams of Earth, will you be our Pendragon?”

In response, Alan drew Judgement, and knelt. Volo took to the sky as Alan held the blade horizontally, presenting to the solar ruler.

Alan then opened his mouth to speak. He felt he needed some oath, some binding words to forever hold him to this station. It had to be something of grave importance, something worthy enough to be written down and remembered through the eons.

So why, why by all things good and holy, was the only thing that was coming to mind the Green Lantern Oath?

“I-in Brightest Day, In Blackest Night.”

Seriously? Couldn’t be original or something?

“Let no evil escape my sight.”

Come on! Put some brain power into this!

“By-by Luna’s Grace, and Celestia’s Light.”

Better...

“May they fear my blade, Pendragon’s Might.” He hesitated a second, feeling that it needed something else. Unfortunately, he had run out of -ight rhymes. “Until my Lieges release me, or Death take me. So be it.”

Celestia gave him a soft smile as she magically lifted the blade from his outstretched hands. Speaking in a much quieter variation of the Canterlot voice, she brought the blade down so it barely touched his shoulder. “We name thee Pendragon Alan Williams of Earth. May thee be blessed with wisdom and victory,” she said as she brought the sword above his head, and down onto his other shoulder.

Judgement gently landed back in his hands, and he stood.

On that fall day, a day that history would remember forever, Equestria received its second, but by no means last, Pendragon.

<<<|Ω|>>>

That day, 72 of Ponyville’s 300 ponies signed themselves over as volunteers. 72 new, brave, courageous, fearless, and utterly green soldiers.

Alan wished he had brought his copy of Sun Tzu.

Throwing most of his possessions, a list of things that was still not too terribly long, into his backpack, he went through his fourth checklist, just to make sure he had everything.

He was vaguely aware that Twilight was staring at him silently.

Finally satisfied, Alan zipped the bag shut. Shouldering it, he stood, and began to head downstairs.

He was stopped by the lavender unicorn standing in his way. They both stared at each other, an angry look in Twilight’s eyes. “So that’s it, huh?” she said, finally. “You’re just going to go out there and murder griffons, huh?”

Alan blinked, “Th-that’s not what I’m doing.”

“Isn’t it?” she asked, “You’re going out there with the express purpose of killing griffins. That sounds like murder to me.”

“That’s not it, Twilight,” he said through clenched teeth. “I’m protecting us from them.”

“From a war you started.”

“Princess Celestia said—”

“And how do I know you didn’t manipulate her too?”

Alan’s face went red, and he began to shake. “How dare you,” he said, his voice quivering.

“You are a violent, war-mongering, murderer,” Twilight said, staring Alan in the face, neither noticing the front door opening. “You can hardly control yourself when you fight, and that just makes it all the more obvious.”

Alan quivered.

“You are a bloodthirsty monster,” she said, as Alan pushed her aside. “You fight to kill!” she screamed after him. “You kill because you are a monster!”

Alan descended the stairs, not saying a word as his rage built.

“Nopony can trust you! Nopony is safe around you!”

Alan walked across the library, passing the five silent ponies watching the fight with wide eyes.

“You sadist! You are going to go out there, and you are going to die!”

Alan stepped out into the evening air, and slammed the door shut.

Twilight stood there, before screaming in frustration.

“Uh...Twi...” Applejack started, “you ok?”

The unicorn sighed. “No, I’m not.”

“Well, uh...we figured since your house is closest ta the train station we could spend the night here before we all left for Canterlot in the mornin’.”

“I’m not going,” Twilight said.

“What?”

“I’m not going, Alan can go get himself killed, I’m staying right—”

She was interrupted as a cyan hoof slapped her across the face, sending her sprawling across the floor. “Don’t you dare say that!” a furious Rainbow Dash yelled.

Twilight gawked at pegasus, who had crossed the whole room in a second to slap her. Her fierce eyes looked like they were trying to hold back an angry tear.

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack cried, jumping on Rainbow to try to pin her.

“Don’t you even think about saying that!” Dashie yelled, glaring down at the shocked unicorn.

“What the hay is your problem, Dash?” Applejack asked.

The pegasus turned, staring the farmer right in the eye. “Do you know what I told him?”

“What?” Twilight asked.

“Do you know what I told him the day Discord attacked? Do you know what I said to him?”

Everypony went silent, as those terrible memories came back, as every discorded word returned to the forefront of their minds.

No one had had the courage to say what they had said, no one had shared her deepest shame.

“I-I told him,” Dash said, “I told him that he could die alone for all I care. I told him that I didn’t care about Equestria, that I didn’t care about my friends.” She looked Twilight right in the eye. “I will not make Discord honest.”

The pegasus headed straight for the door. “If Alan’s going to die, then the least I can do is die with him. I will be there for him, like he’s been there for us.” The pegasus shot the unicorn a glare. “Because he’s always been there for us.”

The door slammed shut again.

There was silence in the treehouse for a second before a quiet, somber voice spoke next. “She’s right you know.”

Every head turned to Pinkie, her mane drooping ever-so-slightly as she spoke, her face impassive.

“We owe him a death among friends. We owe him that much at least.”

The almost morbid phrase stunned the others into silence as they watched Pinkie leave.

Rarity stared down at the floor. “I...I better make sure he has somewhere to sleep tonight,” she said, her voice quiet, and her tone timid. “I don’t think he be too eager to come back here.”

Twilight flinched at the statement.

“I, uh, better go and make sure he has something to eat,” Applejack said before following the white unicorn out.

Then it was just Twilight and Fluttershy left in the room.

“F-Fluttershy?”

She looked up at her. “He’s...um...he’s not,” she said, her voice calm.

“He’s not what?”

“Those things you called him. He isn’t any of those things.”

Twilight knew that...

“That was very mean, Twilight...” she said before following the others out.

Twilight sighed, dropping her head on the railing, letting the pain course through her as some sort of penance.

What was she doing?

A hint of purple in the corner of her eye caught her attention, and she looked up to see Spike heading for the door.

“Spike?”

“I’m going Twilight,” he said. “They’re going to need a fast way to communicate. They can use me.”

“Spike, you’re too young, you can’t—”

“I’m eighteen, thank you very much,” the dragon said. “I’m only young physically; I’m old enough to know what I’m doing.”

The door open and shut, leaving Twilight totally alone.

What was she doing?

Well, that annoying voice in her head said, in review, you have insulted one of your best friends, angered another, and drove the remaining three away along with the dragon that is essentially your younger brother.

Shut up.

You furthermore questioned the mental stability of the human who has been exceedingly generous to you, going so far as to share his bed with you for the express purpose of helping you sleep at night. On top of that, you insulted the bravery of the 72 new volunteers for Equestria’s army.

Shut up.

All because you can’t differentiate between a dream and reality.

“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” she screamed at the mental accuser, holding her hooves to her ears to try and drown it out.

Tears were running down her face as a sob racked her body.

What did she just do?

She lay there on the floor of the library, crying as she tried to figure out why she had done this.

“Twilight?” a soft voice called.

She opened her eyes and instantly recognized the white coat, “Oh, Princess, sorry, I...” she mumbled, getting up and wiping her eyes.

Celestia’s head dropped, nuzzling the poor unicorn.

Twilight broke down again.

Celestia let her cry as Twilight wept into her coat. “Why?” she moaned. “Why am I doing this?”

Celestia draped one of her long forelegs around the crying unicorn, much the same way she had when Twilight had been just a filly, crying at the monsters in the darkness. “What’s wrong, Twilight?” Celestia asked.

Twilight sniffed, “Everything’s wrong. Everything.” She hung her head. “I’ve just driven everyone away again. This is my fault, all of it.”

“Why did you do this?” Celestia asked, softly.

“Because...because...” Twilight struggled, searching for the right word, “because I’m afraid.”

“What are you afraid of?”

“I-I don’t want to lose him.”

“Alan?”

“Yes...he...he loses himself sometimes, he fights like a madpony and he laughs like a maniac, and I’m afraid that...if he does that...he may not come back...”

Celestia nodded.

“And now...now he’s going off to war, and he may not come back at all...”

“Twilight,” Celestia began, hugging the unicorn tightly. “Do you know why he’s going out there to fight?”

“To protect us?” Twilight asked.

Celestia smiled. “I have heard many philosophers through the years, dozens of proverbs, but there is one that I have found to be always true. ‘There is no greater love than this, than to give up one’s life for a friend.’”

Twilight looked up at her.

“Alan loves you, Twilight. Whether as friends, siblings, or more than that, it is not my place to say, but he loves you Twilight. He’s willing to die for you.”

Twilight blinked.

“So my question to you, Twilight, is how much do you love your friends?”

<<<|Ω|>>>

The armor-plated train sluggishly pulled up to the Ponyville station; the large steel plates made the thing look ugly. Alan grimaced at the sight, wondering where the overly-happy-looking train had disappeared to.

Next to the human stood five ponies. His closest friends, as well as Spike, still snoring as he lay on Rarity’s back in the early morning.

Behind them stood Ponyville’s 72 bravest.

Alan’s eyes made a quick scan over the crowd, naming the few he recognized: Vinyl Scratch, Big Mac, Lyra, Derpy and the Doctor, a handful of mares, but mostly stallions. Shopkeepers and food sellers, waiters and carpenters, repairponies and ice cream vendors.

These were not soldiers.

The train’s steam whistle let loose two sharp, piercing notes that startled the dragon awake. “Wha-what’s going on?” he mumbled.

“Nothing, dear,” Rarity whispered, “go back to sleep, you need your rest.”

Alan said nothing.

Ponies began to load themselves into the train, moving silently as they each wore determined faces.

Twilight wasn’t there.

Before long, all 72 ponies had climbed inside, leaving only the seven figures on the station floor.

“Sir?” the conductor asked, a pony wearing a golden helmet.

“We’re waiting for someone,” Alan replied in a deadpan.

The conductor nodded before ducking back into the train.

Five minutes passed.

“Should we...?” Rainbow Dash began.

“Yeah, go ahead inside,” Alan said. “I’ll wait a little longer. Give her one last chance.”

The others began to file inside, one by one until only Alan was left.

The only sound was the hiss of steam as the train engine warmed up.

An eagle cry pierced the sky, and Alan held out a gloved hand as Volo perched on it. “What about you?” he asked. “You gonna come with me?”

In response, Volo side-stepped to the fox leather shoulder perch.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Alan said, before the eagle nibbled at his ear.

“Hey,” Alan laughed, giving a playful swat to the bird, who ruffled her feathers in response.

Another minute passed...

Finally, Alan sighed. “I guess not...” he mumbled.

Turning to the train, Alan grabbed his backpack that lay at his feet, and climbed aboard.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, and in a flurry of mana and paper, a voice cried, “I’m not late, am I?”

Alan blinked as a disheveled looking Twilight appeared, her saddlebags laden with books.

“I’m sorry I’m late!” she cried. “I was up all night making a checklist of things I needed to bring, and then, after triple-checking it, I realized that I wouldn’t be able to fit everything in my saddlebags, so I had to start over! It took me three drafts—”

“Twilight.”

“—but I think I got everything I need. I’ve packed a few books that should help. I’ve got Bastila’s Battle Basics, The Filliesburg Account, The Warrior’s Way of War—

“Twilight.”

—General Greenbeak’s Guide to Griffon Geography, Lord Vanguards Facts and Formations, as well as—”

“Twilight!”

The unicorn blinked, before giving a nervous laugh, and patting down her crazed mane. “Yeah...”

Alan chuckled. “Are you coming?”

Twilight gave a sheepish smile, “Yeah, yeah I am. Sorry, by the way, about what I said. I was a little stressed and, well...”

“I get it,” Alan said. “I’m sorry for storming out like that. I just didn’t want to say something I’d regret later.”

Twilight gave a hollow laugh. “Wished I was thinking like that...”

She looked up at him, the human from a different world who loved her so much that he was willing to die for her.

“So you climbing aboard, or what?” he asked impatiently.

“Huh? Oh, right, coming!”

--------------------------------

And Voila! A new Chapter, and by the time you see this, we should be totally up-to-date in terms of editing, and everything should make more sense now.

“Hopefully...”

Oh, yeah. Hey Pinkie, say hi to Kilokk.

“Hi Kilo!”

“Uh...Hi...Pinkie...?”

Squiddy’s kinda disappeared on me, and while he did come back—

“Present!”

I’ve decided to get someone else to help me out.

“Whee! Another person to talk to! DM’s nice and all, but he gets boring sometimes, I mean, can you believe he spends most of his time watching videos about minecraft and TF2? It’s like they’re the only things he knows—”

Pinkie.

“Yes?”

Enough.

“Ok~!”

Anyways, thanks also to Petro! who also helped out with the editing. Next Chapter, the Ponies Prepare for War.

“Don’t forget to leave your questions, comments and other super-awesome notes for the DM to see!”

“And I better get to work...”

“Right behind you.”

Bye guys, and see you next time.