• Published 25th Apr 2016
  • 12,899 Views, 452 Comments

A Whole New World - Knight Light



Investigating a mysterious pulse of magic when trying to avoid repairing the wedding, Twilight stumbles upon the magic mirror only to get trapped on the otherside. Will a less angry Sunset help her?

  • ...
51
 452
 12,899

Chapter 10 Friday Part 3

Sunset was a little shocked at the change of atmosphere by the end of the day. While there were still hateful whispers targeting former and current bullies, the mood had drastically shifted after the scene in the lunchroom. Many students were talking about how they felt guilty for turning into the very thing they wanted to stop and there were a lot of chatter about actually trying to befriend bullies now instead of driving them out. It was all a little confusing to Sunset who never believed that a positive change in attitude among the masses could happen so quick unlike the negative mood shift that she knew could come at any moment in large emotionally charged groups. She even had to politely turn down several hesitant, though possibly genuine, offers to hang out with students after school.

Hanging out with other students, actually making friends was something Sunset had to remind herself was something she could not afford. Her daughter was special, very smart and very talented and if they were in Equestria Sunset was sure Moonie would have an art inspired cutie mark. The girl was a great artist with an incredible eye for detail, though Sunset felt a little too good of an eye for detail. Moonie quickly picked things up which made Sunset proud, though worried as she saw her daughter hold back more and more so she could stay with her friends and Sunset which worried the teen mother. No little girl that age should be worried about getting too smart in fear of losing her friends and for the life of her, Sunset couldn’t figure out where Moonie even picked up that notion or if there was something else bothering her. Sunset was very careful to make sure either Granny Peach or herself was around Moonie at all times and neither of them would put something like that in the child’s head.

Pushing the thoughts out of her head as Rarity joined Sunset’s walk, keeping pace with her side by side. Looking at the fashionista out of the corner of her eye, Sunset tried to figure out why the girl was following her and almost tripped when she saw the serious expression.

“Hello Sunset, I hope you don’t mind if I walk with you for a bit darling. There are a few things I wish to discuss with you.” Rarity said, her eyes narrowed as she studied Sunset who shrugged.

“Free country.” Sunset replied, not really caring as she was stopping off at the library to have a chat with one of the newer librarians that Sunset knew. A young woman fresh out of college that Sunset met through Zecora. A bit of an unusual name, but then again the woman was a bit unusual being a dullahan with a special neck brace resembling a collar that held the woman’s head on. Unlike the other librarian that Sunset didn’t really care for, this one had passion for books and helping out anyone no matter if they were human or not.

“Good, I wanted to know something.” Rarity said, her voice growing an edge as all attempts at politeness drained out of her while making sure nobody was close enough to hear their hushed conversation as they walked. “Unlike the others, I know the things Pinkie Pie says is almost always true though some things can be a little out there.”

“Yeah, so?” Sunset asked, arching an eyebrow at the girl next to her dreading where this was going.

“Well darling, while I have every sympathy for you I want you to stay away from my friends.” Rarity scowled catching Sunset offguard enough to stop or forward motion.

“Say what now?” Sunset asked, unsure if she heard right.

“I don’t know what you are, no witch has as much mana as you put off when you get mad but you aren’t powerful enough to be a demon. But if you are contracted with one of those filthy evil beasts then stay away from my friends!” Rarits said clenching her fist, shaking slightly. “Those beasts destroyed my family, my parents and little sister is all I have left of it. So I’m telling you right now I won’t let those beasts or any of their playthings hurt anyone else.”

Sunset stared in complete shock at Rarity who stood there shaking as she stared Sunset down. At first Sunset thought it to be anger, but staring into the girl’s eyes showed it to be more fear than anything. Shaking her head she put a hand on Rarity’s shoulder causing the girl to jump a little before saying, “Rarity, relax, I have nothing to do with demons or anything. Before I say anything else though, I need to know just what you are.”

“You know what I am!” Rarity snapped as she studied Sunset before backing down, “You really don’t, do you?”

“Not a clue.” Sunset said making Rarity shake off her hand before running fingers through her hair before giving a long shuddering sigh. “I do know I’m not planning on hurting your friends, your family or you. Rarity, the days of me acting out like an angry child is long behind me. I know I hurt a lot of people and I won’t make excuses for it, but I am also not looking to make a bunch of friends so you don’t have to worry.”

“Then what are you?” Rarity asked, desperate to know what was going on clearly written all over her face.

“If you tell me what you are and promise not to tell anyone, I guess I’ll tell you.” Sunset sighed knowing that if Rarity could sense mana then she wasn’t human, but Sunset thought she knew all of what was considered night creatures that was around. And if she was, then she could trust Rarity with that secret at the least as she would get herself in trouble if she went around blabbing about it.

“I promise on my honor and blood as a witch that I will keep your secret as long as it doesn’t pose a risk to anyone I know or me.” Rarity said seriously, a small spike in her power making Sunset believe her as when a witch swears an oath like that a small part of their magic flares as if cementing the promise.

“This may be hard to believe, but I’m actually not even from this world.” Sunset sighed.

“So you are a demon!” Rarity gasped out, fear returning to her eyes as she took a step back.

“No, I’m considered a witch from what I’m told. My specialty is potions and creating mana batteries with my overflow of magic. This isn’t my birth form though I am locked into it, there is no changing back. Back in my home world I was a unicorn.” Sunset explained, grinning when she saw Rarity’s eyes bug out.

“Darling, you can NOT be serious.” Rarity gasped out, though it was clear she was quickly coming to believe it.

“Very serious, though if I may ask, what is your specialty?” Sunset asked, actually wondering if the two could have some kind of relationship. Of course not as friends, Sunset reminded herself, but perhaps maybe some kind of working relationship.

“My family isn’t a very powerful one, I make charms mostly.” Rarity said, “My grandfather summoned a demon to grant him and my grandmother eternal youth and more power. The demon made all of the promises my grandfather wanted to hear and in the end it killed my grandmother, aunts and uncles, cousins, even my older brother. My dad, he had to kill his own father to banish the demon before he could do any more. So we are kind of laying low when it comes to anything related to the dark. So even my charms are pretty weak and just things to accent my outfits to make them seem more radiant.”

“I’m sorry.” Sunset sighed.

“It’s fine, but I want to know what both Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie changed their minds about you all of a sudden.” Rarity said, almost in an accusing manner. “Pinkie Pie I can almost see, but after what happened to Fluttershy, I don’t think she would want to give any bully a second chance so soon.”

“Maybe you just don’t give your friends enough credit.” Sunset huffed as she crossed her arms. “I don’t know about Fluttershy, but I’m paying for Pinkie Pie’s old medication to help with her visions.”

“Why!? I was trying to help her get used to them, not block them off!” Rarity growled out.

“I offered to help her with that, but I gave her the choice between the two options. It isn’t my choice and it isn’t yours, Rarity. Pinkie Pie is the one who has to deal with them, not us.” Sunset said etting Rarity to calm down.

“I see your point.” Rarity conceded. “I can’t say I trust you, but I can see where you are coming from darling. It isn’t easy keeping a secret as big as being nonhuman from your friends, but it is worth it in the end if you have good friends.”

“Friendship isn’t something I can afford, no matter how much money I have.” Sunset said shaking her head, “Look Rarity, if that was all you wanted I have to go. Ms. Bloodgrave is expecting me to meet her outside the library during her break.”

“That dullahan?” Rarity asked shivering, “Those creatures give me the creeps!”

“I never expected you to be so bigoted Rarity. Well, aside from demons, nobody trusts them.” Sunset said, though she wasn’t being completely honest. She might act it, but there were actually good demons much like there was evil humans. The trick was actually finding one as they were extremely rare.

“I’m not, I just find it creepy she can take her head off and walk around holding it or letting it sit on something.” Rarity shuddered again, “It’s not that I dislike her, she just scares me.”

“Whatever, see you around Ms. Witch. Maybe we can work together sometime.” Sunset said waving over her shoulder as she turned and began walking away.

Author's Note:

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ!!!

Wow, got this done sooner than I expected, though I have a serious question that I would like some real thought on from everyone before they answer what I am about to ask. First, I am sorry the quality and length has taken a very big hit as it is becoming harder and harder to write with people looking over my shoulders making it hard to go back over older chapters and notes trying to keep everything straight and half way decent. This summer things will get a lot easier if my chest doesn't feel better or not as one of my cousins is moving back here in town and will be staying with us for awhile. This will take a lot of stress off me because of several reasons from helping out with doctor appointments and seems to be able to keep everyone calm whenever around which will keep even more stress off me helping give me time to think and not get my chest hurting and have a friggin stress induced heart attack. And bonus, they will help keep me away from sites that stress me out, not that I'm going to them anyways but everyone is looking over my shoulder and keeping an eye on what I'm doing on the internet computer and the other a lot too it seems. Sometimes it seems they are doing it less, but it has been bad today and I think it is because they finally realized how stressed out they were making me with their crap the last couple days on top of all the doctor apointments for my brother and now me.

Sorry, anyways here is what is so important that I want everyone to think about. Since I am having a hard time writing a story and keeping things straight, would it be better to put all of my main stories on hod until the summer when they are here and instead work on a story I have been thinking about that would be similar to one I think is called the Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer where I wouldn't have to keep anything straight or any real notes as each chapter will pretty much be a new scene from a different possible story with maybe even future scenes that may or may not make it into my current stories?

I have to go, but I will check out what people think on my phone throughout the night if I can get the stupid thing back on this site as I accidentally closed the tab on the browser and I can NOT type on the damned thing since my thumb is half the size of the screen and a stylus does not work worth a crap with it. I will try to get to comments the next time I am on, sorry I haven't been able to answer the current batch yet.

Comments ( 23 )

I thought Sunset was gonna tell Rarity about her being a teen mom, but this chapter threw me outta the loop and sounds like it would fit more in a Shin Megami Tensei or Persona crossover.

Personally? I feel that you should do what you feel is best for you. If I had to choose, I would say wait until summer when you will be less stressed. Although your idea for an anthology-style story intrigues me.

Awesome chapter by the way.

raritys a literal witch huh? gotta say, that's a new one for me. cool!

You should do what's best for you. You don't owe anyone here anything. Your health is more important. That said, the anthology series does sound interesting. So if doing that for a while is better for, by all means, go for it.

8889892
I’m in agreement. I say go for what’s best! Just keep up the good work is all we ask.

Most of us here have waited months to years for stories to update so it won't be a problem for us. Your health is more important so do what is best for you.

Do what's best for you. Our entertainment isn't worth your health. Just wait and come back when things are better. I hope everything goes well for you.

Any idea on what's happening in Equestria as of now?

8876876
She probably won't get seriously hurt, but yeah she will eat her words when everything comes out and all is said and done.


8876927
Thanks, and soon story wise.


8877009
Thanks, Pinkie and Fluttershy will be a big part in getting everyone to see that they were becoming what they hated. I can't say I really like the newest chapter though and I think I really messed it up because after I published it and thought awhile trying to remember why it didn't seem right I remembered what was wrong, but I think I can fix it easy enough. And thank you again for the corrections, I'll fix them momentarily.


8877191
I do plan on writing more Equestria, I had plans of them taking care of the Crystal Empire, putting a stop to Starlight Glimmer much sooner and possibly before the town resents her so much, and settling things between Trixie and the mane5 all before Luna crosses the mirror.


8877224
Thanks, I'll try my best


8877286
Yep, Rarity is seeming a bit of an ass, but it is deliberate on her part for the most part. She is one of the only mane5 who actually will be a bit more different from how I see her canon personality, though only in some ways. She will still be the drama queen fashionista everyone loves or hates.


8877449
Sadly that is way more than true, though Rarity I am going to try and give a bit more depth too from how she comes across in public. Hopefully it will work out well.


8877706
1. She can be
2. That is a tall order for Pinkie in any dimension lol
3. She can be, though she may be hiding things
4. :yay:
5. Thanks


8878896
I am planning it within the next few chapters as well as Sunset giving Twilight a crash course in the nonhuman world in this world from Sunset as well.


8889717
I actually has a scene later in the story where Moonie is getting fitted for a dress for an event and ends up at Rarity's and blows the whole secret. I may have messed it up with this current chapter, but of the main5 only one character is a full blooded night creature which is Rarity as a witch. Pinkie has witch's blood which causes her visions, and finally one character who has vampiric blood though it has never shown any abilities or anything but knows about the dark side of the world. The other Pinkie and the remaining 2 really doesn't know much about it. Big spoiler, the dullahan Sunset was going to visit was Nora Bloodgood as in Headless Headmistress Ms. Bloodgood from Monster High. She won't play a big part in the story, just a cameo once or twice.


8889809
Thank you very much, I think it is what I am going to do and I am really touched everyone seems to be so supportive.


8889838
Yep, she is very knowledgable though nowhere encyclopedia type smart when it comes to witchcraft and monsters. With her love of gems, I thought it could be a something she makes charms out of since she isn't really very powerful. Glad you liked it.


8889892
Thanks, I really do love the community and how most like you are so supportive and I really am thankful and touched everyone seems supportive over this decision. Thank you very much.


8889915
Thanks, I will do my best


8889920
Thank you very much, I hate having to put it on hiatus but I really feel the most recent chapter was the worst one I have written and with things the way they are it is too hard to keep things straight without notes or trying to keep going back as being a MLP fan around this house isn't looked on very favorably so have to pretty much keep it hidden pretty much which is stressful enough without everything else so thank you so much.


8890131
Thanks, I hate having to put this on hold, but it is becoming very stressful trying to keep everything straight without notes or intense back reading of chapters while writing which is extremely hard when everyone keeps looking over your shoulder making alt tabbing a necessity. The new story would be like a different scene which means no need to keep notes and with a lot of what I have in mind it won't look like MLP so it won't matter if they see what I am writing. Kind of funny Cutie Honey is more accepted than MLP around here :facehoof:


8890894
RIght now Luna is working on trying to figure out how to open the mirror portal but will be distracted as she takes Cadence on a dream trip through the mane5 dreams to see for herself that they do love Twilight, they just really messed up. Also, the Crystal Empire and Starlight Glimmer will make the research go a little longer as will finding Trixie and fixing things with her. Glimmer will NOT get off free for what she did though, so no worries there.

8891141
Thanks, so which chapter did Luna started taking Cadence on through the dreamworld?

do what makes things better for you.

Chest hurting when stressed? Try an antacid.

I've been there. It wasn't heart related for me. Maybe you'll be so lucky! :twilightsmile:

If you can call the world's worst heartburn lucky.

8891386
In story it has happened, but it hasn't been showed in a chapter as I've been trying to show some of the more important moments since I'm trying to focus more on the EG side of things. That is turning out to be difficult thoug. I was toying with the idea of seperating the two completely into seperate stories, but I really don't know how well that would work. So I might expand more on the pony side when I feel better/this summer when have a buffer between me and my family.


8893815
Thanks, I'm going to wait until summer to work more on this story so I have an easier and more stress free time writing it, thanks.


8899420
Thanks, I tried to make them better though I have to say I can't really defend the last chapter or two much. With the stress and crap I deal with, it was hard writing them and I messed up my own timeline and how things were supposed to be revealed. So I may rewrite them entirely ditching the whole Rarity thing (still a witch, it plays an important part of the story as does other creatures of the night :raritywink: ) and redoing it. Hopefully when I fix it, things can be much better.


8899560
I really wish that was all it is. My family has a big history of heart problems, and I've been to the hospital and followed up with my doctor for what was supposed to have been mild and even been in there almost a week for an actual one more recently. It's why I'm stuck on a stupid low sodium and low fat diet which sucks beyond belief. I love pizza, and can't even really have a slice if I want to stick to my diet good. Thanks for the advice though :twilightsmile:

I'm really enjoying this. And stay calm, mate.life can be hard at times, but it does get better.

This is really enjoyable. Its a shame, but I’m pretty sure it’s dead. I’ve seen longer hiatuses though, so here’s hoping we get more in time.

9416219
Yeah I don't really consider a story dead till it's silent for 3 years. 1 year could be life issues, 2 could be bigger life issues or a compound of writer's block and life issues, though 2 is also giving them the benefit of the doubt. By 3 years though the author is lying to themselves if they think they haven't been on a hiatus.

9595640
*snrk* puns.

About horses and ponies.

On this site.

Ok, quickly I can clearly see that there may be possibly an overarching theme of friendship, and family. Considering how family is essentially shoved down your throat every chapter, yeah, I can see this happening. I really wonder how Sunset will react with Princess Luna once Luna figures out the portal, also, would be interesting to see Principal Luna figure out about Twi.

I do hope you come back soon , this is a lovely,amazing story thus far and I would not be having a good time if it were to stop.

Quite a fun story, mate! And I hope you're doing better with your mental health :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment