• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 1,753 Views, 209 Comments

The Alchemist and the Mirror - Seven Fates



Twenty years after coming to Equestria, Silver Script has the opportunity to temporarily be human again. If only the circumstances that sent her to Sunset's human world allowed it to be a vacation.

Comments ( 23 )

Now we know the truth.

Now we know...

yay update, words, plot answers.

I kind of what to see a intermid story of silver raising her kids

Oh, so the fabric of reality is being ripped apart by Father from FMA. Fantastic.

Maybe it's for the best, though. If I'm no longer weighed down trying to be the me I know she'll meet, maybe I can actually move on and evolve as a person and pony.

Wow. Stage 5 at last. She's finally accepted what happened to her.

the slug managed to slip through her small intestine leaving next to damage,

next to no* damage

I was spent much of my pregnancy in a mental health facility in Ponyville,

extra word

but I could l was able to observe that I was becoming transparent.

extra words

duplicate souls from the aborted timelines of this world have flooded in that the guide for departed human souls,

extra words

souls, Charon, can hardly keep up.

Full stop after souls.

"If you want the practical answer as to I'm going to have a hard time

Extra words

There's an old (new) story about how an alchemist first decided to create a homunculus. It varies from telling to telling, it shifts in unpredictable ways, and like many stories, it echoes more the teller than anything else. But it usually starts in the same way:

Once upon a time, an alchemist decided that she wanted someone who understood her.

That's what the word means, after all, isn't it? A homunculus isn't necessarily an echo of the human. You have to look deeper. Homo - the root of homonym, homosexuality, homogenization, and the like. It means same. The stories say that maybe the alchemist looked into a mirror made of silvered glass, or the waters of the purest lake, or the reflection of the moon. Maybe they drew from the wellspring of magic, given to all creatures. Maybe they drew their materials of sapphires and platinum, but either way, what they sought was a creation which would understand them so perfectly, so ideally, that their every action would be assisted by an echo of themselves, even before they thought of what they needed.

These stories always end the same way. The homunculus goes mad, in some manner. Perhaps it grows into something more, the doll who wished to truly become real. Perhaps it kills the alchemist and takes her place. Maybe it snaps under the stresses and the knowledge that it won't become anything other than what it is. And sometimes the odd changes creep in, corrupt it, and make it into ... something the experimenter could never have foreseen.

The Princesses have seen this happen too many times. They've banned the creation of homunculi under any but the most stringent and careful standards. They've worked to prevent the tragedy from happening again, but it still goes on. Someone always thinks that they can get it right, and the rulers can't prevent that without stifling the creative processes which let society progress. And another telling begins.

What few of these stories ever touch upon is that there's no such thing as a perfect mirror. Echoes are just that: distorted, changed by their very nature. And no box can contain itself, nothing real and living can become a quine. Into every scientific venture, irregularities creep in, and they are worked around, but they always produce erroneous data.

By law, homunculi are dissolved after no more than five years. Usually it's three. Long enough to be useful. Not long enough to become real.

Even a perfect mirror shouldn't exist.

8341152
Actually, you should reread the sentence pertaining to the souls flooding in again.

So many duplicate souls from the aborted timelines of this world have flooded in that the guide for departed human souls, Charon, can hardly keep up.

You have your independent clause in green, and then you have a subordinate clause in blue. In this case, 'that' is a conjunction that explains the consequences of the souls flooding in.
Thanks for those other catches. In one spot, you actually pointed out a spot where I'd left out a word, rather than leaving in an extra.
8341169
All rather poetic, innit?

8341487
Huh. Well I guess even I make that mistake sometimes.

...

That sounded way less arrogant in my head. Suffice to say: my mistake.

8341508
It's cool. I know tone doesn't carry well in text. I actually read it in a "I'm surprised by my own mistake," rather than a dismissive tone.

8341526
Oh thank goodness. That was my intention, yes.

8341539 Thankfully, I spend a lot of my time on the internet among a community of adults who, more often than not, give each other shit just for kicks. Hell, one guy on the community is as unfriendly as you'll find'em, but he's pretty much universally liked because those of us who know him recognize that he doesn't mean anything by it. Still kinda sad that the admins told him to stop greeting the newbies by telling them to, "Go fuck themselves." That was honestly a hoot just seeing their reactions.

8341551
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable joining any group willing to invite me.

Anyhoo, yeah, it's pretty poetic all in all. Lots of stories tend to be, or at least the best-written ones tend to be, and there's nothing discouraging poetry from being profane. I'm willing to bet that in its original incarnation, the Saga of Gilgamesh also contained a lot of 'fuck's.

Yay plot progression.

Yay more good Sonata who is the bestest.

Once again, she enters the fray. :rainbowdetermined2:
Nicely done, Seven Fates.

sparring her bed the inevitable bloodstains a surgery
and the rather than an outward opening door
As Sonata rose, she seized the her wrist
Celestia granted me permission without a second though

1. Sparing.
2. Extra The.
3. Extra The.
4. Thought.

I bet the one other question now on everyone's minds is what form will Sonata take when she goes through the mirror since part of her soul (I count the gems as a physical manifestation of their souls in your story) was shattered and remade. Probably another question would be how the princesses will react to Silver's hypothesis on her homonculus.

The answers will come... soon.

well... there is a tag for the main seven of the EG,

8342648
At the time, there hadn't been.

Sorry, but I can't continue to read this. I stoped at chapter 10. Nothing against you just I can't deal with the sadness.
Have a like and a mustache.:moustache:
Ps. Ever see "Taking chance" only you and one other author has ever come close to the feels this movie has for me.

are you going to complete this story

8997130
Honestly, it seems unlikely. I've reached a point where the direction I was going was going to end up being resolved in a way that was either too 'simple' or what would appear to be the 'easy way out'. A year of college hasn't exactly made the story all that interesting to me any more, either.

Loving this universe. Sad to see this canceled. On to Unicorn Silver.

8998096
Even though you said you’ll never finish would you still suggest that this be read and if there’s a good breaking point would it be at the final chapter or somewhere where the story could conclude with the reader thinking up there’s own and then Silver went back back through the mirror The End?

Did you think about make a remake? I vaguely remember this story to be good

Login or register to comment