• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
May 8 [Skywatcher]

May 8

I got off to a pretty lazy start this morning, sleeping in until almost eight. Then I just couldn't stay in bed any longer and Aric was a little bit grumpy about getting up, but he did. He should have had plenty of sleep last night, if he was really sleeping until almost noon like he said he would be.

We had breakfast at Nina's, then I convinced him to go shopping with me, 'cause I needed to get some stuff for the rest of the school year like more batteries for my blinking light and more cans of anchovies and more shampoo and I also thought while I was there I should get some laundry soap because I'd been borrowing Peggy's and I ought to pay her back. We also found a nice birdfeeder that looked kind of like a house and he said he'd hang it up in the backyard and by the next time I slept over the birds would probably be used to it.

He said that since we were out anyway he was going to stop by a parts store and pick up a set of brake pads for Winston because the ones that were on it were nearly worn out and he didn't have any more spares. I thought that would be interesting for me because I'd learn more about what made a car work, and there were so many different parts, rows upon rows of them. If I hadn't been meeting Doctor Thomas Thompson, I could have spent all day there with him as he told me what Frams were or why there needed to be so many different kinds of windshield squeegee.

The brake pads came in a little box, and when we were in Winston he opened it up and showed them to me and then held them in his hand and demonstrated how they squeezed on the brake rotor to stop Winston. Then on the way back he told me how the brake pedal pushed on a piston which put pressure in pipes and that pushed on more pistons at each wheel. It seemed pretty complicated; if wagons had brakes there was just a lever that pulled on a rod that applied the shoes.

He dropped me off at the dorm and helped carry my things up to my room (even though I could have carried them myself because the bags have little loops in them for hands or mouths) and then we kissed and he left and told me to have fun today.

I checked my computer mailbox and I had gotten a letter back from both Mister Salvatore who said that I could go visit the airplane director and take a tour of the control tower on Tuesday and from Gates who did want to get a movie of me catching a cloud.

So I didn't have a lot of time left, but I met up with him at his dorm and he gave me the duffel bag full of equipment and asked if he could come along to film from the ground and I thought that would probably be okay but we'd have to ask Mister Salvatore or Miss Cherilyn for sure.

Well, they didn't mind. They were already there when I got back and they were a little annoyed that I hadn't been there when they’d arrived, but they softened when I told them about the great movies that Gates had already made and so he got into the van, too, and we went off to meet with Doctor Thomas Thompson.

We went to a place called Yankee Springs, which was north of Kalamazoo and had a big lake that I could fly over. The place where we met was a pavilion on the end of a peninsula, and Doctor Thomas Thompson was already there along with Ryan the weather watcher leader who I had met at the NOAA weather station and another man who introduced himself as Mel, and he was a ham radio operator.

To be a proper weather watcher, I needed to be able to use a different radio than my airplane radio, and I had to have a special license for that, which meant that I had to take a test like I'd had to for my pilot's license. Mel explained that there were several different levels of license, and that the one I'd want would be a technician's license, and that he could tell me about that. Or I could relay messages using a different type of radio called a CB radio which didn't have any special requirements but did have a much more limited range.

I asked if I could start with the CB while I was studying to be a proper radio technician and he said of course I could. It meant when I was storm watching I would have to stay in range of what Mel called a ground station, who would receive my messages and pass them on. He said that depending on the weather conditions and terrain that might be as few as a couple of miles, which was why it was better that I got a technician's license.

He gave me books to study and Mister Salvatore said that there was a lot of electrical theory in there that I probably didn't need to know but he wasn't sure that he could get it taken off the test just for me and I said that was okay; I'd make sure to study it all. And then Mel told me that there was an internet page that had practice tests and I ought to take them several times until I was confident that I knew what I needed to know.

So then Mel gave me a radio that I could use for the time being and showed me how to use it. It was a lot like the airplane radio, so I was at least a little familiar with the controls. Then he said that he was going to go to his truck which was parked right next to the pavilion and I could fly out over the lake and practice using the radio some. They had rigged up a little strap just like with my airplane radio so I could wear it on a leg.

Gates said that I might as well wear the GoPro helmet while I did and so I put that on and then flew out over the lake and pretty soon I heard Mel talking on my radio. He told me for now to just listen and gave me directions on how he wanted me to fly. Then he said that I could take turns talking to him and he asked me to describe what I was seeing, just for practice. Then he changed frequencies a few times and I followed along with him, then he let me request a change that he had to follow with.

I asked him why and he said because the CB was line-of-sight, it was possible that I might have traffic on my band that I could hear but that he couldn't from where he was, or I might be getting interference that he wasn't. He said that would be less of a problem when I had a ham radio license.

After that short trial run I called the airplane directors and got permission to fly up higher, so I did that and we kept on talking. He asked me to report on what I was seeing, and so I took a good look around at the sky and the clouds and the ground and then they had me land again.

We had a bit of a snack that Miss Cherilyn had thought to pack and she offered me a bottle of yellow drink called Gatorade.

I still wanted to catch a cloud for Doctor Thomas Thompson but there were hardly any so Miss Cherilyn said that she would watch for clouds that came close while the rest of us talked about other duties as a weather watcher and that way we could kill two birds with one stone.

I didn't want to kill any birds, and she laughed and said that was just an expression that meant get two things done at once.

Ryan who had mostly just been watching us got out his folding computer and sat down next to me and started to explain to me the basics of being a good skywatcher. It actually went pretty quick because mostly what I needed to know the most was the different human terms for weather and we'd covered some of them in climate science class. He said for now I'd be paired up with Mel so if anything needed clarification, Mel would be able to do it.

And then Miss Cherilyn pointed out a cloud which she thought might be close enough so I went away from the computer and looked up in the sky and it was kind of hard to judge with it just being there all on its own but there was nothing to lose by trying.

It was going to be a little bit awkward with another radio hooked to me, but I'd just have to take that into account. I probably could have left the CB behind but I knew that I should get used to having it.

When I finally got close to the cloud, my ears fell. It was pretty thin and it was going to take a lot of work to get it to even hold together at all. Even the wind off my wings might break it up if I wasn't careful.

If I could have gone up higher, there were some airplane clouds that looked a lot thicker and would have been easier to grab. But I wasn't allowed to, so I would just have to work with this one.

It took me a lot longer than I would have liked to compact it down into a smaller, denser cloud, and when I did it started sinking but that was okay because me and the cloud were going down anyway.

I stayed on top and rode it down, sort of helping it, 'cause that also let me feel if it wanted to just rain out all its moisture—I'd be really embarrassed if I got it most of the way down and then it just broke up under my hooves.

There hadn't been a whole lot of wind so I didn't have to make up much distance over the ground. I took it over a grassy strip near the pavilion and once I was in the lee of the trees it got pretty easy to control.

Well, I'd attracted a bit of an audience by then; I guess everyone who was out on a boat had seen me and a lot of them had come to shore and there was a lot of talk among them. Plus a few people who had been in the park had seen, too, and they were all coming over, too.

I did my best to ignore them while Doctor Thomas Thompson and Ryan looked over the cloud and Gates moved around taking a movie of it. Mister Salvatore had gone to talk to a man in a brown uniform that said DNR on the shoulder, and Miss Cherilyn was just watching over the crowd.

Eventually some of the people who had been watching came closer and looked at the cloud but I made sure that none of them got close enough to touch it.

Then since I didn't want to get the pavilion wet I pushed the cloud into the parking lot and Miss Cherilyn and Mister Salvatore had to help keep people back. They kind of formed a ring and I set the cloud near the center and hopped up on it a couple of times and it dissolved into rain pretty quick.

I got a little bit of applause for that, but I could also hear a couple of people grumbling too.

Mister Salvatore decided that it was a good time to leave, and he said that it was almost dinnertime anyway so we might as well go to a restaurant, so we went to a place called the Sandhill Cafe. I thought it ought to be called the Sandhole Cafe, because there was a big hole next to it that looked like a small dirt mine.

There was a bit of a wait until we could get a table big enough for all of us and we probably wouldn't have except Mister Salvatore showed his wallet to a waitress and pretty soon a man in a suit came out and found us some space.

Ryan finished explaining things to me during dinner, and then he said that I was officially a Skywatcher now and shook my hoof and we all celebrated by having a nice dessert.

We got back to Kalamazoo kind of late, but everyone was happy with how the day went. I took my new books and new radio up to my room and started studying right away. I was determined to get my new license as soon as I could.

PreviousChapters Next