• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,358 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,358

PreviousChapters Next
March 6 [snow machine]

March 6

I woke up with a pounding head from too much spiked hot chocolate last night, my coat matted down, and my mane and tail nothing but tangles.

I was willing to bet that Peggy felt the same way—she'd had more to drink than I had—so I used the room telephone to order a breakfast delivered to us. It was more expensive than going down and getting it ourselves, but I hoped Peggy would be happy to not have to get up and go down to the restaurant and get it.

The only way I was going to get untangled was a shower and lots of conditioner. Luckily I'd brought my own, since their little bottles weren't going to go far enough.

Of course the food arrived while I was still in the shower. The waiter's eyes got real wide when I opened the door, looking like some weird soap-monster, but to his credit he didn't drop our breakfast. As soon as he was gone, I ducked back into the shower to finish up.

I was done and brushing out my tail when Peggy's telephone started singing. When she'd shut it off—not knocking it off the bedstand this time—she noticed the breakfast, and right after that she realized that she wasn't wearing any clothes and pulled up her blanket to cover herself.

I thought that was really funny, and kind of cute. She got out of bed wrapped up in her comforter, got her plate of food and set it on the bedstand, and worked one of her arms out of her blanket-robe in order to eat.

She thanked me for ordering the food, and then tossed the blanket over my head and went into the bathroom before I could get it off.

While she was taking her morning shower, I made a pot of coffee. I knew how those worked, because Aric has one at home and I saw him using it before. This one was easier than his, because the coffee was already measured out in a little bag, and all I had to do was put it in the top chamber, fill the tank with water, and then turn it on.

Peggy was a lot more chipper when she came out of the bathroom. She had one towel wrapped around her head, and another knotted around her body. She poured herself a cup of coffee, added a little bit of the Kahlua to it, and then sat on her bed and sipped at it.

We didn't actually get off to much of a later start than before. Peggy changed the batteries and memory card in the GoPro, and we both got dressed. We had to check out of our room, too, which meant that we had to pack everything up and take it back to Cobalt.

She wanted to start off with a few runs on an easy course to warm up, and then said if I felt like it, we could try a black diamond course (which is the hardest rating).

So we took a few runs down Mister Moll, and then went over to Idiot's Delight.

We'd run down it a couple of times, when I noticed a man working on a strange round tube mounted on a pedestal which looked somewhat like the theater spotlight. I asked Peggy what it was, and she said that it was a snow machine. They were all over the place, but I hadn't paid them any attention before.

That sounded interesting to me, so I snowboarded down next to him and then got off my board (which isn't easy) and flew over and asked him how it worked.

At first he was surprised to see me and I don't think he was used to people talking to him when he worked. He probably wasn't expecting me to have flown up next to him.

He started to explain how the snow machine worked. He said that there were rings on the front that let a mist of water through, and the machine blew it out into cold air, and then it turned into snow.

Of course I wanted to see it work, but he said that he wasn't allowed to turn it on when people were skiing, which was a huge disappointment. He told me that down at the lodge, they had one that they used for demonstrations, and if I went there at noon, there would be a lecture about it, which would include having the snow machine make snow. So I flew back to Peggy and told her about it, and she said that we could go watch that.

Idiot's Delight wasn't that much harder for me, but my wings gave me an unfair advantage. I could soar over the difficult patches. I tried not to, because it felt like I was cheating, but I couldn't help my instincts.

Peggy thought it was funny, and she said that after watching the snowmaking demonstration and lunch, we were going to try out a terrain park and get some good footage for Gates. As if what I'd gotten yesterday wasn't good enough for him.

I lost count of how many runs we made down the hill before Peggy said that it was almost noon, and we went over to the demonstration area.

It was mostly small children and their parents, which was nice—small children are easy for me to see over.

The machine was pretty easy to understand. There were two kinds of snow machines, the ones that ran on compressed air and the ones that just ran on fans. The fan ones were more efficient, we were told, and the resort was changing to using all the fan types. They had big reservoirs to keep the water in, and a pumphouse to get it through pipes and hoses to the snow machines.

In principle, it wasn't significantly different than how we made snow. Rather than blast it out on the ground like they did, we had it fall from clouds and form normally, but the essence of the process was the same: humidity and air temperature were the big factors.

Also, their machines made little round snowballs instead of flakes. They said that was better, because it sat on the slopes and didn't wear out or melt as quickly as flakes did, and I guess I could understand how that would be better for them, but little round snowballs would not be as satisfactory to me as proper snowflakes.

Just the same, I paid close attention. There might be somepony interested in this kind of machine, especially since it was nice and simple. It was really clever how there were multiple concentric rings which could be controlled independently, depending on what the conditions for making snow were.

Then they got to the part I'd been waiting for, which was turning it on. The presentor asked if there were any volunteers to start it, and of course I raised my hoof, and I got chosen! Although it wasn't actually all that exciting. I got to turn a water valve, and the child who had also been chosen got to turn an air valve, and then it came to life and started spraying snow up into the air.

I flew around front to get a feel for what it was doing—I'd already had the technical explanation, of course, but I also wanted to feel it for myself.

I guess I wasn't supposed to have done that, because the presenter yelled at me and turned off the snow until I flew out of the snow area and promised not to fly back in. Just the same, I'd managed to get a decent sense of it.

When we went to lunch, Peggy said that Gates probably wouldn't be expecting to have video footage shot down the barrel of a snowgun.

We ate a light lunch, and then headed to the terrain park. That was only supposed to be for experienced snowboarders. She said I was probably experienced enough, and if I got in trouble to just fly out of it.

I could do that.

I started off just watching what other people did. There were ramps made out of snow, and the idea was to jump off of them and maybe make a loop in the air—it was obvious some people were trying for distance, and others were doing tricks.

When I had a good idea of what to do, I made my attempt. The first time down, I didn't have the right angle on the bow of the board, and it dug in and got yanked off my hooves. I wasn't quick enough getting my wings out: it took me totally by surprise. So I wound up crashing headfirst into the ramp.

I shook my head and got my board back and tried again. This time I got the bow of the snowboard up and launched off the ramp, managing about half a loop. It was obvious I wasn't going to be able to finish it, so I flew out of it and landed.

It took a few tries before I could go all the way over, but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty easy and I didn't have to flap at all.

I still felt like I was cheating. Peggy didn't have any wings to help her, and she was getting a pretty good height on her snowboard.

She said that she wanted to film me one time trying for distance. She said that what I ought to do was come right at her with my wings tucked in, and once I was above her head, let them out and glide into a landing. So she got in position with her telephone and then told me to go.

I had to pull up on the board a little bit right before I went over her head—she hadn't judged her standing position all that well. And then I glided down faster than I could have, because if I kept my original course, I was going to run into the second floor of the lodge, and I didn't think that would look too good on the camera, so I glided down into the base area.

We played around for most of the afternoon, until it was starting to get dark, and then it was time to go back home.

Both of us were really tired when we got back to campus—it was nearly midnight when she parked Cobalt.

Sitting in the seat for hours hadn't done me any favors. I probably should have done some cool-down stretches afterward. I could tell that Peggy was sore, as well, and we didn't have a hot tub back in the dorm to relax in, although a hot shower would do the job almost as well.

I told her that she could take the first shower, since she'd done all the hard work driving us back, and then I thought about turning on my computer and seeing if I'd gotten any new mail, and I thought about reading Aquamarine's letter, but I wound up doing neither and falling asleep on top of my bed instead, and not waking up until Monday morning.

PreviousChapters Next