• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,352 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,352

PreviousChapters Next
September 19 [Minors and cofactors]

September 19

I woke up at my usual time and looked out the window to see what the weather was like. It was nice and clear and I could hear birds chirping off in the distance. I wish that I still had a bird feeder.

There was a tree not too far from my window and I could hang a bird feeder in it. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to—since our room was right above the main entrance, people might not be happy if birds were dropping seed hulls and maybe also pooping on them. But maybe it would teach those people who liked to stand right by the door and smoke that they should go somewhere else.

I had a mouthful of hay for a morning snack and then got all my flight gear ready. When I filled up my camelback, all the red dye was gone from the sink but it smelled a little bit chemically. I'd never noticed that in our room, but Peggy didn't like to wear fingernail polish.

I didn't have all that much time to fly this morning, and I wanted to get a little bit of trotting in, too, so I used my radio to get permission from the grumpy man and then flew off towards the Nature Center.

I took a kind of indirect route, so that I could fly over the dirt mines and see if they were doing anything interesting in them, and the middle one had their big bucket tractor putting dirt on a conveyor so that it went into a new pile. It looked like it saved some trips for the tractor, since it didn't have to go as far to dump its dirt, but otherwise I couldn't see any purpose for it.

If they dug deep enough they might find monster bones. I'd heard that sometimes ponies dug up monster bones, but I'd never seen it for myself.

This time I remembered to keep towards the river side of the prairie as I came in for my landing, just so that I wouldn't scare off the deer. And they looked up when I circled around but I was far enough away that I didn't bother them. I wonder if they thought I was an eagle or something when I was in the air.

I looked at them too long and not long enough at the trees, and had to roll to avoid a branch that was suddenly right in front of me, and then I never quite got back to a good position—what the airplane simulator instructors called a proper configuration. So my landing was sloppy but nobody was there to see and laugh at it.

When I was along the river side of the trail, I trotted and then went at a walk past the deer, and I did that a couple of times before they were gone, and then I did a full gallop down the hill and cantered around and back up again, then after the second time my knee was starting to bother me a little and I didn't want to push it too far, so I slowed down to a walk and went around one more time, to cool off, then flew back towards college.

When I was flying over the cemetery, I decided that I'd take a little detour and see if Aric was home. My watch said that I had time, so I cut a little bit more west and I saw Winston in the driveway, so I flew around back and up to his window to see if he was in there.

He was asleep in bed and the window was opened about halfway so I got my forelegs under it and tried to pull it up to see if I could get in but I didn't get it too far open 'cause it kept sticking in the frame and with me flying I couldn't put that much strength into it. But the noise woke him up and it took him a minute before he saw me and then he slid out of bed and pulled the window open and asked me what I was doing.

I said that I'd stopped by to say good morning, then I stuck my head in through the window and kissed him, and then I said that I'd see him at Durak tonight and turned tail and headed back to college.

I landed on the boardwalk and went upstairs and got undressed in our room then went to take a shower, but I had to wait for Kat to finish 'cause I'd taken too long to get back, and then before I got my turn in the shower Peggy came into the bathroom too and sat down on the bench to wait for her turn.

I let her go before me, 'cause she had to get dressed after she was done anyway, and that took a little while. And then I took my turn and by the time I got back to our room she was all dressed, so we went down to the dining hall together, and she asked me how my knee was and I said it felt pretty good except when I did a lot of trotting.

Christine and Sean had stayed up too late, I think, 'cause both of them looked really exhausted, and I hoped it wasn't from studying but something more fun like staying up all night having sex.

I'd forgotten to bring my physics things with me, so I had to go back to our room to get them before I went to class. I'd been thinking about breakfast and how Peggy was already ready and not thinking about my classes.

Professor Brown told us the definition of calories, which was also how humans measured the energy of their food, which I thought was interesting. I guess it was because people were thermodynamic, too. And then he started talking about heat capacity, and how there were different formulas if the volume stayed the same or the pressure stayed the same. And then he told us about Joule and how he had discovered that water got hotter when it fell off a waterfall, because falling was work and work was energy.

So after we understood that, he started to explain that with gasses, you got the most work when you let the gas expand on its own in a way that was reversible, and he gave us the formula to calculate a piston holding down gas with a weight on top of it, and when the gas expended like it wanted to on its own, it would lift the weight until it reached equilibrium with the weight, and then he kept drawing the same experiment with smaller and smaller weights, and it was pretty obvious that it did more work the smaller the weights that you had.

And there was a lot of notes to take, because there were dozens and dozens of formulas that he showed us, and he drew out Joule's experiment that proved that when a gas expanded into a vacuum there was no heat change, but then he warned us that this was only true for ideal gasses and not real gasses, which would get colder, but Joule hadn't had a good enough thermometer to actually measure it.

Then before we left he reminded us that there was a lab tomorrow, which reminded me that I hadn't heard from Mister Salvatore about whether or not my lab coat was done yet, and I should have thought of that over the weekend, but I'd gotten distracted with other stuff. If I didn't have my lab coat I wasn't going to be allowed to do anything in the lab, and the professor would be mad at me and I'd get a bad grade. So as soon as I got back to my room I called him with my portable telephone and he didn't answer so I started getting more worried for a few minutes until he called back.

He said that he hadn't heard from her but he'd call her right away and see if it was going to be ready. And he said that he also had something else for me, but he wouldn't tell me what it was.

So I was kind of eager to see what it was, but just guessing wasn't going to get me anywhere, so I got out my homework and started working on it. The first few problems were pretty easy, 'cause they were just the basic formulas that we had gone over in class, but then they got a little bit trickier after that, and I didn't finish them all before it was time for lunch. So I packed my saddlebags for math and went to the dining hall.

Sean asked if I had the problems we'd worked on with me and I said that I had and then since we'd tried to show Christine and Peggy on a napkin but hadn't managed I got them out of my bag and put them on the table after Peggy wiped it off to make sure that the paper didn't get dirty. And I kinda gave a quick explanation of the different symbols. Peggy sort of understood 'cause she knows math and Christine doesn't know much math at all and hardly had any idea about it.

We could both tell she was getting kind of frustrated so I put the math away and talked about other stuff instead, but I was kind of thinking to myself that maybe if I'd tried a different way she might have understood it. Sometimes some of the new ponies on the weather team don't understand things until you've told them a couple of different ways and then all of a sudden you find the right one and they get it. There are also some ponies that are better hooves-on learners and they can never figure anything out from a book but if you show them they understand.

I think Sean was still feeling bad because when he went to get dessert for himself, he also brought her a piece of chocolate cake with some of the star-shaped ice cream on it and a little bit of chocolate sauce, too.

When we got to math class, we didn't want to interrupt Professor Pampena, so we agreed that we'd tell him after class, 'cause then I'd have time to explain it to him.

He reminded us about cross-products, and then said it was important to know that the cross product of a and b was not the same as b and a. And then he showed us how we could use vectors to find if something was in a plane because if it was all the vectors to that point would equal zero, and that was a lot of math to figure out but there was an easier way, where we'd find a normal vector and if it was perpendicular to one point and also our unknown point then they must be on the same plane.

Then he moved on to matrices, and showed us how to multiply them together, and how we'd know what size the answer matrix ought to be, and he reminded us again that if we had matrices A and B, AB was not the same as BA.

There was also an identity matrix which he told us about that made a number stay the same when it went through the matrix and that seemed kind of useless but I was sure that he'd explain why it existed, and then he showed how you'd use it when you were rotating something on the same plane.

And then at the end of class he told us how to find minors and cofactors, and then gave us a bunch of matrices for homework. It was all pretty straightforward so far but there were a lot of numbers to draw out.

Once he'd dismissed the class we both went up to his desk and Sean asked if he had a few minutes free, and he did. And we didn't even have to leave because there wasn't a class right after ours, so I got out our paper and put it on the desk, and he got really excited because he'd seen Equestrian math in books before but never in person, and he admitted that he'd kind of wanted to ask but he didn't want to make me do extra work that nobody else had to do.

And then I showed him how to use the weather wheel and he really liked that, too. He said that on Earth those were called circular slide rules and they had once been really popular back before calculators but now nobody really knew how to use them.

He said that he would bring an Earth slide rule to class next time even though he wasn't very good at working it.

And he said that if I wanted to convert one problem on each homework to Equestrian and solve it I could do that, and I would get full credit for it as long as I showed all my work. Well, I remembered that Sean thought he should get something too because it was partially his idea, so I asked if Sean could, too, and he asked if Sean knew Equestrian math, and he had to admit that he didn't really.

So when we left he was a bit grumpy that he hadn't gotten anything special, and I told him that I would be happy to teach him everything that he needed to know but we'd have to start with the basics, and he asked if that meant addition and subtraction and I said it would be best to start with the numbers first and then move on to addition and subtraction and he thought that was a whole lot of work he really didn't want to do. But if he couldn't draw them right, nopony was ever going to be able to figure out his math, not even me.

I went back to my room and finished up my thermodynamics homework first then got started on my math, and there was one problem I was having a little bit of trouble with and I thought that I could convert it to Equestrian and work it out and even if I couldn't solve it the professor would never know but that was cheating, so I finally put it aside and I was about to go to dinner when I remembered that I hadn't heard back from Mister Salvatore.

I checked my portable telephone and he had called, so I called him back and this time he answered right away and said that he had gotten in contact with her and we could meet her at six and make sure it fit and she promised that she'd make any other alterations needed then and there, so that meant that I would have to eat pretty quickly, and I said that I would meet him behind my dorm at three-quarters past five, 'cause that should give us enough time to get to her house. It wasn't all that far.

So I did have to rush through dinner, but that was okay because there wasn't anything all that good to eat anyway. Christine thought that maybe they'd given up early this year, and Sean said that maybe they were planning something special for tomorrow and that was why.

Well, I was hoping that they were planning something special, and Sean said that since tomorrow was Tuesday maybe it would be tacos and I hoped that it was. It was always fun when you got to build your own meal.

I got to the dorm only a few minutes early and there wasn't any point in going up to my room to wait so since there was only one way in to the parking lot I walked up it and I had gotten all the way to Academy Street before I saw Sienna coming up the hill, bouncing over the bricks. And Mister Salvatore stopped it out in the street and opened up the side door for me, and then we drove around to Monroe Street because that was the quickest way to turn around.

We got to her house right at six, and she let us in and said that she was very sorry that it hadn't been done sooner but she'd gotten busy with something else and it had also taken her longer than she thought it would because she didn't have any way to test-fit it. So I put it on and it fit pretty well, and it would keep me safe in the lab. And I was happy with how it had turned out, 'cause it was a lot more comfortable and I didn't have to roll up the sleeves at all.

So Mister Salvatore paid her and then we got back in the van and he said that he was kind of mad that it had taken her so long to make it, just because she'd said it would be done sooner than it was, but since I was happy with it he was happy, too, and Miss Cherilyn reminded him that he was going to give me something else, too. And he nodded and said that we'd have to wait until we'd stopped driving, but he was really happy that he'd gotten it and it was something that I needed to have, and I kept begging him for hints as we drove back to college but he wouldn't tell me.

Finally, when we were in the parking lot and stopped by the back door he got out and went around back and brought out a little cardboard box and inside was a pair of safety glasses that I could wear. He said that there was a company that custom-made them for ponies, so they should be reasonably comfortable.

They weren't the same as flight goggles, which I had to wear sometimes, and they felt kind of weird, but they were nice and secure and I think that Professor Brown would be happy that I had them, so I thanked him for getting them for me, and he said that he was happy to and asked if there was anything else I needed.

Well, I was curious if he'd found out anything more about getting the tornado team to Kalamazoo and he said that he hadn't yet but he was still negotiating, and he'd probably let me know one way or another by the end of the week. He said that tornado season was ending, and they might have a little free time after that, but they'd also been recruited to make a couple of stops on their way home and that had been settled several months ago, before they'd even come out, so he wasn't sure if he could make any changes now.

I thought that he was trying really hard and that was what mattered, so I hugged him and Miss Cherilyn too and then I went upstairs and set out my lab coat and goggles and also a sparkly scrunchie for lab tomorrow, then I went out to the boardwalk and flew to Fourth Coast.

I was a little bit late, so I had to sit out the first game, and I didn't get to sit next to Aric, either, because there were already people on both sides of him, and I thought that he could have told them that he was saving a seat for me. But then I started getting into the conversation and the next game, and pretty soon I was just having fun.

When we drove home, he let me steer down Dartmouth Street and to his house again, and he said that I was doing such a good job that maybe next week he'd let me shift, too. I think he kind of liked the idea of me driving, or maybe it was just to get me to sit on his lap—I could tell that he liked that, too.

So we went up to his bedroom and he said that it had been kind of mean to tease him by flashing him in the morning and I told him that I hadn't meant to even though that wasn't true.

And he said that he had already plotted out his revenge and I asked him what it was but he said that it wouldn't be any fun if he told me and he'd said too much already, but he would be ready the next time I woke him up in the morning.

I said as long as his revenge wasn't throwing a bucket of water on me, and he said that that would be a mean thing to do and he didn't have a bucket anyways, and so I jumped up on the bed and lifted my tail and he said that it wasn't fair doing that while he was still wearing his clothes, and I told him that he should have been getting undressed instead of planning his revenge.

PreviousChapters Next