• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,352 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,352

PreviousChapters Next
November 29 [Copper Mountain]

November 29

I should have drank more water and less liquor last night. I woke up with my head pounding and I didn't want to move but I was gonna wet the bed if I didn't get up so I dragged myself to the bathroom and then when I was done it felt like too much effort to try and climb back in bed, so I lay on the floor with my head on Peggy's duffel bag and I closed my eyes again and if I didn't move or think too hard it wasn't so bad.

Being outside all day plus being at a high altitude, which I wasn't used to anymore since I spent so much time down low were also surely some of the reason I felt so bad. And I'd probably not had enough water to drink while I was snowboarding and that probably hadn't helped, either. And I should have drank some water and maybe that would have helped, but I wasn't going to get back up again. It was too much effort.

I think I dozed off some but it seemed like every noise would wake me back up again and then I'd forget and lift my head up to look around and see what was going on, and then it would start throbbing again and it felt like it might explode.

By the time Lindsay got up, I'd learned my lesson and I was thinking before I moved anything and that was better. I didn't feel so bad, although I wasn't sure if the pain would come back as soon as I moved.

She turned on the bathroom lights before closing the door and even though I was just seeing them out of the corner of my eye, they hurt. Why did the bathroom light have to be so bright, and the fan so roar-y?

Lindsay saw me when she came back out and she crouched down beside me and asked me if I was okay, and I said that I'd had too much to drink and I was paying for it now. And so she got me a glass of water and once I'd drunk that she got another and asked if I could have aspirin. And I told her that I could so she got two for me and put them in my mouth and then she got a sweatshirt out of her bag and draped it across my back.

She sat down on the floor next to me and I told her that she should get back in bed, but she said she'd been meaning to get up anyways and this was sort of up. And then she asked if I'd be more comfortable with my head on her lap and I would have nodded, but I think that would have hurt my head, so I just said yes.

Lindsay scooted over next to me and took the duffel bag and let me put my head on her lap, and then she moved the duffel bag around behind her to be a sort of pillow for her back, and she put her hand on my back and started scratching me between my shoulders which felt really good. Then she told me to warn her if I had to puke, and I promised that I would. And she asked if I wanted to wake up Peggy, but I didn't want to. I'd be fine once the water and aspirin had time to work.

I drifted off to sleep then and when I woke back up I felt a lot better. My head was still sore, but it didn't throb when I moved, and my mouth didn't feel as dry. Peggy was sitting down next to Lindsay and the two of them were talking until they saw me moving, then they both asked how I felt, so I told them.

And then I said I was sorry 'cause I was probably ruining their plans for the day and they should have woken me up sooner, and Lindsay said that I didn't have to worry about that. She said that they'd wanted to get a slow start.

I was a little wobbly when I got to my hooves and I saw that I'd drooled on Lindsay and I felt bad about that, too. She said it was really cute and that I'd been talking in my sleep but nobody could make any sense of what I'd been saying, except that it wasn't in English. And I didn't remember what I'd dreamed, so I couldn't guess, either.

The smell of coffee helped wake me up, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to drink any just yet. So I went to the bathroom and then I had two more glasses of water.

I hadn't noticed until I got out of the bathroom, but they'd all packed up their things, 'cause we had to check out of the hotel and probably nobody had gotten breakfast yet, either. I wasn't sure that I wanted to eat but I thought I'd probably feel better after I had.

So I said that I was ready to go if they were even though I probably could have slept a bit longer. And Peggy asked if we wanted to eat here at the hotel or somewhere else. I said that I'd let them decide because I wasn't sure I wanted to eat all that much.

Victoria said that we should go to Crepes a la Carte, because they had the best crepes, and I didn't know what those were, and she told me that I wouldn't be sorry I'd tried them. And we could decide what we wanted to do today after we'd eaten.

Even though we weren't supposed to, we left Peggy's car in the parking lot and all got in Lindsay's Ranger Rover and the restaurant wasn't too far from us. Victoria told me that crepes were kind of like really thin pancakes and they were rolled up like a burrito and you could put sweet things or hearty things in them and they tasted really good either way. And that did sound like it would be good.

The restaurant was a house, and you had to wait outside, 'cause there wasn't an inside dining room. There was a bit of a line, too, but that gave me time to look at the menu and decide what I wanted. And finally when I still couldn't, Peggy said that she'd share with me so that way I could try two different kinds.

So all of us together got four different kinds of crepe and sat down in their little outside dining area. Someone had brushed the fresh snow off the tables, but there was still a little bit coming down and so I swept it off with my wing before sitting down.

I had half of an Atlantic, which was a salmon crepe, and then I also had half of a blue lagoon, which was really sweet and had Nutella in it. And they were both so good that I wanted another one and if there hadn't been a line I would have got one.

Victoria saw that I was looking and said that I should try another, so I got a vegetarian crepe even though I didn't know what evoo was. And when I said that back at the table Lindsay started laughing and said that it was extra virgin olive oil.

I wanted to know how it was extra virgin, and she said that normal virgins had impure thought but never acted on them, while extra virgins never even had impure thoughts.

I didn't think that an olive could have any kinds of thoughts, and I thought that she was making it up, but Victoria agreed that there was virgin olive oil and extra virgin olive oil and they were different.

After we were done eating, I felt a lot better, and so we decided that we'd go to Copper Mountain because it was a different kind of fun. It was pretty close as the pegasus flew, but it was a sort of long drive because the roads didn't go straight to it.

So we went back to the hotel and got Cobalt, and then drove off for Copper Mountain. We went along the mountains and then got to a big lake, and right after that we got onto the 70 Highway, which would take us back.

While we were driving, the snowclouds broke up and the sun started shining, even though we couldn't see it because we were in the shadow of the mountains to the east.

We parked next to each other and got out and got dressed, and went up the mountain. On our way up to the first hill, I saw a couple of people going down the hill in a raft, using paddles to steer, which I thought was a really crazy thing to do. But it did look like they were having fun, even after they went over a little bump and the person in the stern almost got launched out and had to drop his paddle and hold on so that he didn't go over the side.

There was a long trail called Roundabout that you could follow the way down although it was a little bit inconvenient to get to and that was what we warmed up on. It was a pretty easy trail but a nice long run and a good way to get my feel for the board back. All of my muscles were a little bit stiff from days of snowboarding, but by the time we got to the bottom they were all loosened up.

So we switched to some harder trails after that, and stayed on them until lunch. There was a restaurant at the top that sold soup, and that was a good way to warm up some.

After we'd eaten, we went back around to the harder trails. There was one that ran right next to Copper Creek, and it looked like if you weren't too careful you could fall into the creek and get wet. And then when we got further down it I saw that it crossed the creek but there wasn't a bridge; you had to jump over it. Which was really easy for me to do, and I didn't have any worry about accidentally falling in.

I took a bit of a break while they were playing and took off my snowboard and left it at the top of the trail that they were on, so that I could fly a little bit. And I got up high enough that I could see what was around us.

To the south, there were some reservoirs, I guess. They were iced over so I couldn't see what was in them, but they had big earthen dams at the end of them, and there were some buildings, too, that I couldn't guess the purpose of. There were even two domes side-by-side.

And off to the east, I could see some of the slopes at Breckenridge. It really wasn't all that far away, and I think in the summertime even a person could walk to here faster than they could drive.

There were also grey clouds coming in from the west, and it looked like we were going to be getting some more snow, and pretty soon, too. They weren't very high over the tops of the mountains to the west, so I wasn't sure that the girls knew that they were there.

I didn't stay up too long, 'cause I didn't want them to have to wait on me, so I dove back down and it took me a little bit longer than it should have to find the head of the trail where my snowboard was. If I hadn't paid attention to where it was in relation to the lifts, I probably would never have found it again.

I had to wait around until they got back to the top of the hill, but that was okay because it gave me a chance to play in the snow. And when I got off of the trail and into the trees it was really soft and powdery and I could burrow down in it some, and then it got even deeper and pretty soon I was up to my neck.

It turned out it was a lot more fun to get into than to get back out of. I had to kind of dig myself out and pack the snow down under me and I was hoping that there weren't any predators out in these woods, or else I might be an easy target, 'cause I was kind of helpless. But I managed to get myself loose and went back up to where the snow was a little bit thinner.

If there really were snow-sharks, I bet they'd burrow into the snow and jump up out of it when people walked by them.

I was happily rolling around in the shallower powder when the girls came back, and I'd pretty much managed to cover all of myself with snow, and even when I shook myself off a lot of it stayed stuck in my coat. Peggy said that I was crazy, but I thought that if she tried it she'd see how much fun it was.

One of my hoof-boots didn't stick right 'cause I'd gotten a bunch of snow packed into it and it didn't have a very good grip on the snowboard, but I kept it under control the whole way down and then we had to scrape it out for next time.

The four of us did a few more runs, and by then the clouds were obvious from anywhere. Peggy said that was going to make the drive back a lot of fun and at least we were close to the 70 Highway. Then she got her portable telephone out to see how bad it was going to be, because sometimes when the snow was really bad they closed the 70 Highway, and if they did we wouldn't be able to get back home at all.

She decided that it didn't look like it was going to be all that bad, so we kept on playing a little bit longer, than Lindsay said that I'd been getting better and better all day and asked if I wanted to have a race. She said that we could go down one of the easier trails, like Roundabout, 'cause it was long and not too difficult.

I thought that would be fun, so we went back to the start of that, and by the time we got there it had started snowing some.

We went down once for practice, and that was important because there were other trails that branched off from it and if you were racing you might not have time to read the signs and see that you were on the correct trail.

Well, I'd kind of gotten a good look from the air and knew where all the trails went and I knew that that one was shorter, and I thought about cheating a little bit. If the snow hadn't gotten heavier, I wouldn't have had my opportunity, but by the time we'd gotten back to the top, it was starting to get a little bit thicker and blowing.

Me and Lindsay were pretty close to each other when we passed over the trail mouth, and I dropped back a little bit and then when she got obscured by a gust of wind, I used it to take off and angled down the mountain over the trees. I could see the shorter trail off to my left, but I'd lost sight of Roundabout. Since they ended in the same place, it didn't really matter, and I just followed the one I could see.

I was on the wrong side of the chair lift, so when I saw it ahead of me I dove down until my board was just brushing against the tops of the trees, and I went by one of the poles 'cause the cables were highest there, and then I dropped down and landed on the trail and slid to a stop.

I hadn't beaten Lindsay by all that much, and it was kind of funny 'cause when I first saw her she was looking back like she was trying to figure out where I was, and then as soon as she turned her head forward again she saw me right away and came up to a stop right next to me.

She wanted to know how I got past her and I said that it must have happened in one of the gusts, and at first she was puzzled because she'd seen me on the right trail after we'd crossed the other one, and she bit her lip and I could tell she was really thinking about it. And I might have gotten away with it longer but Victoria came down and stopped by us and asked me why there was a branch on my snowboard, and I looked down and sure enough, there was one caught up against my forelegs, down against my hoof-boots so I hadn't known it was there. And I hadn't thought that I got that close to any of the trees but I guess I must have.

Lindsay said that I'd cheated, but she wasn’t really mad. I told her that she'd never said that I couldn't fly, and then I stuck my tongue out at her, and she reached down and threw a handful of snow back at me, which I didn't quite dodge all the way. And I admitted that she was a lot faster than I was and I'd never beat her on a snowboard.

Even though the resort was going to be open for a while longer, we all decided that we'd had lots of fun, and should try to get out of the mountains before it was dark.

So we said that we were going to meet in Denver for dinner, and that way we'd be out of the mountains.

We had to stop for gas for both cars first, and we went inside and got some food to snack on. They had sandwiches there, too, but I knew not to eat them.

Lindsay followed along behind Peggy, and we made our way through the mountains back to Denver. The road followed a valley up, so it was kind of twisty and sometimes you couldn't see too far at all because of all the blowing snow. Trucks were the hardest to see, 'cause they were white, and they didn't move too fast, so she had to stay alert so she wouldn't bump into one by mistake.

Some people who were dumb went driving by really fast, and the first time it happened, Peggy told me to always remember what kind of car it had been, so that we could look for it in the ditch later on. She said that there were lots of people who came up to the mountains to ski and they didn't have the right tires and didn't understand that the road was sometimes trickier than it looked. And she'd been right; I saw a bright red pickup which had passed us before and now was sitting in a ditch with snow up over its bumper.

Peggy hadn't warned me that there was going to be a tunnel, and so the first I knew of it was when we came around a curve and it was in front of us. And I didn't like seeing all the mountain that was on top of it and could crush it flat in a second and there would be no way out, or a rockslide could bury the entrance and so I just closed my eyes and thought about all the big open spaces at the ski resorts.

I could hear when we went into it, 'cause the sound changed, and it felt like we were in there forever, but I didn't open my eyes again until I knew that we were back out in the open again, and I asked her if there were any more tunnels, and she said that there weren't, so that was good.

We got stopped in traffic for a while, so Peggy ate some of her snack food. She said that there was probably an accident up ahead, and there was. A big truck had slid partway off the road so it couldn't get out, and its trailer was still sticking out, blocking one of the lanes of traffic. There was a really big wrecker that was behind it, and men were pulling out cables so that they could get the truck back on the road where it belonged.

So it was kind of late when we got to Denver, and Peggy said that she'd kind of wanted to go to a fancy restaurant but now that she was really hungry she'd changed her mind and would settle for something plainer and quicker. So she called Victoria and we finally decided that we'd go to a Pizza Hut, 'cause that was decent food and it wasn't too slow, and she knew where one was that was on our way home.

We stayed there and talked and relaxed for an hour, and we'd ordered too much pizza, 'cause we had some left over that our waitress put in boxes for us, and then Lindsay and Victoria both gave me a big hug in case we didn't get a chance to see each other again before I left Colorado Springs. I hoped we would, 'cause they were both a lot of fun to be with.

They were still behind us most of the way, but they finally turned off on the US 87 Road. And before they got off Lindsay flashed her lights at us.

I knew we were getting close when I spotted the beacon on the airplane control tower, and pretty soon Peggy got off the highway and we went to her neighborhood. There were lots of other houses that had Christmas lights up, but I thought that the ones at Peggy's house looked the best. Plus they were the only ones that had been hung by a pegasus.

She parked in front of the house and we got our gear and our leftover pizza out of the car, and when we were inside Peggy went to the laundry room to wash all of her clothes, and hung up her snowpants and snowjacket so that they could dry off.

Chrissie and John were in the living room, cuddling with each other and watching a movie called Sausage Party, which was very strange. It had talking food in it and there was a sausage who was trying to warn the other foods that people ate them. And they stopped the movie so that they could ask us about our weekend, and get a look to make sure that none of us had any bandages on.

Me and Peggy both wanted to take showers, and she insisted that I take the first one so that I could dry off all the way before we went to bed.

When I was done, Peggy was watching a movie in her room on her folding computer, and she said that I could watch it while she was in the shower if I wanted to, and she could even make it go back to the beginning, but I was gonna preen my wings and groom, so she folded her computer back shut and put it on her desk.

I hadn't gotten all the way done when she got out of the shower, and she sat down on the bed, too, and brushed her hair and said that tomorrow she was going to sleep in for real, and maybe not get up until noon. I didn't want to waste the whole day in bed, so I said that maybe I'd get up early and fly around some and then in the afternoon we could do fun things together, and she thought that was a good plan.

PreviousChapters Next