• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
February 21 [aftermath]

February 21

I woke up in Peggy's bed, and I was really confused at first, then what had happened last night came crashing back at me all at once.

She hadn't even gotten under the covers—the last thing I remembered I had been asleep on her lap—and it looked like she'd just tumbled over when she fell asleep.

I lifted her head and put a pillow under it, then since I couldn't get her under the blankets, I just gave her mine. Then I took my journal and sat back down beside her so that I'd be there when she woke. I didn't think it would be right to leave her alone at all.

It was always weird to see that it was the same outside today as it had been yesterday. There's a sort of sense of relief, but it's kind of guilty relief.

I'd just finished up my journal entry when Peggy woke up. She had dark circles under her eyes and it didn't look like she'd slept much at all. She looked pretty miserable overall.

I leaned forward and nuzzled her cheek and she put her arms around me and hugged me and asked if I was all right, and I assured her that I was.

She said that it was a terrible thing that had happened and that there had been no reason for it, then she bowed her head into my mane and began crying until she couldn't cry any more.

We were still embracing when my telephone rang and I was going to ignore it, but she said that I ought to answer it. So I did, struggling with the little buttons, while she wiped away her tears.

It was Mister Salvatore, and he said that he was coming over so we could talk about what had happened last night. The way he said it, I didn't think that there was much room for protest, so I told Peggy and she said that she ought to make herself presentable and she was sorry that she was such a wreck. Then she told me not to leave her, and I said that I wouldn't, so we went to the bathroom together and I stood guard outside the shower, talking to her through the metal partition.

Rather than get dressed, she just put on a t-shirt and lounge pants and I sat on her bed with her until Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn came.

At first, she stood by the door, while Mister Salvatore sat in my desk chair and asked me if I was okay. I told him that I was fine; a little shaken up, but otherwise okay. Then he asked Peggy if she was all right, and she said that she was not all right because she was sick and tired of how this bullshit just kept on happening and nobody did anything about it. She stormed out of the room then, and Miss Cherilyn went out the door right after her.

It took me a moment to react, because Peggy had moved so quickly, but I jumped off the bed and was out the door as well before Mister Salvatore could stop me.

I saw Miss Cherilyn turn to go down the stairs and figured that was which way Peggy had gone, so I took to the air and leapfrogged over Miss Cherilyn. It was a tight squeeze between her head and the ceiling, but I made it. Then I just followed the stairs down until I was right next to Peggy.

I didn't say anything—I didn't think I needed to. Peggy had a look of determination on her face, and I was going to stay with her because I'd told her I would, and I thought she still needed me.

Peggy smiled at me and said that she was going to Christine's and she really didn't want to talk to either of them (I knew who she meant) right now while she was still raw but I could if I wanted.

I turned back and saw both of them following along, although they weren't rushing at all. Miss Cherilyn was talking urgently to Mister Salvatore. I could barely hear them, but she said something about Colorado and he hung his head and slowed down even more.

I knew it was rude and maybe unwise to leave them behind, but that's what I did. Peggy was more important to me.

I don't know what she would have done if someone hadn't opened the door, but Cecilia did and let us in and Peggy flopped down on the papasan and I sat next to her. Pretty soon Christine came out just wearing a long t-shirt and she gave Peggy a big hug. Sean came out of her room also only half-dressed, and then Amanda joined us in the lounge, too.

Nobody really said much of anything: there wasn't anything to say. I could feel how tense Peggy was; she kept clenching her fist on my back.

Amanda looked out the window and asked who the two people that looked like FBI that were standing outside were, and Peggy growled that they were with me, and then she softened and said that we probably ought to let them in before they froze to death.

Christine asked if we were in some kind of trouble, and Peggy said that we weren't, that they were just my minders but the last thing she wanted to do right now was talk to them.

Amanda went to let them into the building, and she was gone for some time. When she came back in, she hugged Peggy and told me that they were both sitting on the stairs by the front entrance. She said that they'd asked if we were okay, and she'd told them that we were.

I don't know how long we sat there. Christine went back to her room and got dressed, and Cecilia brought Peggy a cup of hot tea. Finally, once she was done with her tea, she relaxed a bit and ran her hand through my mane. She told me that I ought to go and talk with Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn and that she'd be fine by herself. I asked if she was sure, and she nodded. She said that she had to talk to the girls, but it was human stuff and there was no need to burden me with it.

I was a bit skeptical, but she was insistent, so I hugged her tightly and then went outside to talk to them. Before I left, Amanda said that there was a lounge in the basement and we might be more comfortable there.

So we went down the stairs and sat on the couches, and if they were mad at me running off like that, neither of them gave any sign of it. Mister Salvatore just looked sad, and the first thing he asked me was how Peggy was feeling.

I told him that she was taking it hard, and he said he wasn't surprised. He said that we'd probably have a lot to talk about in the coming days, and he couldn't really prepare me for what would come up.

Then I asked him why Peggy was so mad, and Miss Cherilyn said that this type of thing happens in America, and it's one of the downsides to it being a free society that doesn't have any meaningful restrictions on gun ownership. Mister Salvatore said that wasn't quite fair, and she said that maybe it wasn't but it was true and he knew it.

He told her that this wasn't the time or the place and the two of them glared at each other. I think they forgot for a moment that I was there.

Then Miss Cherilyn said that America was still a young society and had a lot of problems that nobody really was sure how to solve, and this thing that had happened was one of the consequences.

We spent the morning in the lounge discussing it, until they were both satisfied I understood the two-edged coin that freedom is. It was strange to see the two of them not in complete agreement—I think the murders must have really hit them, too.

I went back to Christine's room once they left. I was curious if anybody was going to go to lunch. Peggy said that she wasn't, because she was sure that there was only going to be one topic of conversation in the dining hall and she didn't want to deal with that. So we ordered pizzas instead and then started up a euchre tournament and spent the whole afternoon talking about anything but what had happened last night, and for dinner we ate the pizza that was left over from lunch.

It bugged me a little bit that I hadn't really gotten anything done all day, but sometimes there are things that are more important than schoolwork. Conrad had said so, and if it applied to the good fun stuff like a road trip to Punxsutawney, then it also applied to the bad sad stuff, too.

Peggy was smiling by the end of the day, which was good to see. She'd bounced back from her grumpy mood at least. She sat down on the bed and laughed and said that she knew it was the weekend when she didn't have to get undressed for bed.

I asked her if she wanted company tonight, and she told me that if I didn't mind, she'd probably sleep better. I thought I probably would, too.

PreviousChapters Next