• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
January 25 [Making More Friends]

January 25

The moon is almost full, and it was very pretty this morning.

It's strange to look at it, so similar to our own, but not the same. When I catch it out of the corner of my eye, it looks familiar, like an old friend, but then I look closer and it's smaller and the shadows are different.

It also doesn't keep a good schedule. It ought to come up right at sunset, and settle over the horizon at sunrise, but it doesn't do that. We learned that's because instead of having the sun and moon controlled by Princesses, on Earth it's a spinning system like a carousel, with the moon and the Earth held in place by gravity. It boggles my mind that the whole system doesn't just fly apart, sending the Earth and Moon flying off into the void, but as far as I know there aren't any human mages who are keeping the system together.

One of the strange things about Earth is the houses. They're a little bit bigger than pony homes, but that's not surprising; humans are almost twice as tall as a pony.

Most of them look more like bunkers, though, squatting down on the land they own. The humans seem to pride themselves on boring, regular lines on the outside of the house, and they paint them all dull pastel colors. If it hadn't been for the brightness of some of their cars, I would have thought that maybe they didn't have bright paints, but they did.

And many of the stores are brightly colored. McDonald's are a vibrant red and yellow, the giant store next to Bilbo's has a blue awning, and other stores and signs are bright colors as well. But not the houses.

Especially in the winter, it would brighten things up, and it would free them from the sense of sameness that their houses have. They even have to number all their homes so that mail can be delivered to the right place. I guess that sort of makes sense in a big city like Kalamazoo, but it's my understanding that the same thing applies in small towns.

And speaking of numbers, even their cities have numbers. Kalamazoo is 49006. Does that mean that there are at least that many different Kalamazoos? Why wouldn't they think of another name for the city, if they'd used Kalamazoo so often? I have to put 48823 on letters to Aquamarine.

There isn't any of this foolishness on Equestrian mail. A pony's name, a neighborhood name, a city name and that's it. Some of the smaller towns don't have neighborhood names, either. That's only for the bigger places, like Canterlot. And you can send mail to farms or sailors on boats . . . do boats have numbers, too, so that people can send mail to them?

I felt a bit nervous when I went into climate class this morning. Sort of skittish. I was kind of looking at the windows and thinking about how they might open . . . all because of the angry man.

It was kind of stupid, I know. Dumb Silver Glow. But while I'd made a lot of friends already, they weren't in the same classes as me, and if something were to happen, I could be all alone, and it would be safer if I had more friends.

Not that I was thinking of it that way when I went to class, of course. I only thought about it later, when I had time to reflect on my slight discomfort and my urge to get close to some more people.

So rather than sit in the front row, I moved back a bit, to a seat which I knew was usually vacant that was between Crystal Dawn and a boy named Luke (and if I don't look too closely, he kind of looks like Luke Skywalker, which makes his name easy to remember). The professor seemed a bit taken aback by this new seating arrangement, but didn't say anything. There weren't rules about where you had to sit but after the second day everybody had kept to the same seats.

They didn't give any outright signs of rejection, although I suppose I could have missed some. Human body language is a lot different than pony body language. If somepony moved in on me and I didn't want them there, I'd put my ears back and maybe stretch out my wings just a little bit. Usually that's enough. Humans couldn't really move their ears too much and they didn't have any wings to signal with.

Well, I didn't exactly make fast friends, but of course it takes a little bit. Humans are sometimes a lot frostier than ponies, and some of the nuances of their behavior still go over my head. Crystal Dawn is interesting; besides having a very pony-like name, when she talked I could see a gap between her molars and incisors. A lot of unicorn mares who have them have them filed off for vanity; I wondered if she had too, or if she'd just been born without them, like some ponies. My mom always said not having fangs was a sign of unicorn blood in the past, but I wasn't so sure that she was right about that, 'cause even the spa would take them down if you wanted.

Philosophy was a tougher cloud to break. Oddly, there wasn't anypony in the class who I felt any particular attraction towards, although there were a few who I was sure I would not particularly like.

It didn't help that the class quite honestly baffled me. We started in on Thomas Aquinas, who wrote several important treatises (which are like essays) on Aristotle. That was well enough; it makes sense that if you're trying to refine philosophy you'd want to illustrate the shortcomings of your predecessor’s work. Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle all built upon each other's work, after all.

But then I kind of got lost when he started talking about God's laws. I'm not sure who God is, or why the Greek philosophers didn't bring up what He thought in their discussions.

The best I could figure is that He was around for a while, which is probably why there's such a long gap between Aristotle and Aquinas. Then once He left, humans had to work out how to deal with things on their own.

I was kind of embarrassed to show my ignorance in class, so I didn't raise a hoof and ask for clarification. But I did think about what might happen to us if Princess Celestia were to somehow disappear—what would we do? How would we live without her guidance? Who would raise the sun?

I didn't have a good answer for any of those questions. I think it would be very bad for us, and we'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out what we should do in her absence, and that was probably how Thomas Aquinas felt.

When I got to Equestrian class, the teacher wanted us to sit in small groups and talk about our weekends. She suggested that I should pick a trio of people to talk to (there are only twelve people in the class, counting me), so I sat with Becky and Lisa and Meghan—who I pulled along after the ice storm—and that was a lot of fun. All three of the girls really liked me, and it turns out all three of them play bells with Aric as well. They like him, too.

We continued our conversation after class, and they invited me to come over and talk some more with them. They had a lot of questions about cloud cities, and I was just the pony to answer their questions, 'cause I knew about them.

Then I wrapped up the day playing Durak. Aric came by and gave me a ride again. I didn't lose any times, which was nice.

He offered me a ride back, but I thought I would rather walk with everyone else, and I think he was a little disappointed by that, but it gave me the chance to talk more with all of Keith's friends who are also now my friends.

PreviousChapters Next