• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
March 21 [Coast Starlight]

March 21

I got up first and rather than get out of bed, I looked out the window at the harbor below. It was still dark out, but in the bay I could see the little lights that ships have on them, and I could also see airplanes flying over the harbor on their way to the airport which is just a little ways south of the hotel.

When Aquamarine got up, we took a shower together, and it was a lot nicer than the crowded shower on the train. We had room to stretch out and move around each other more easily.

I didn't know what we were going to do for breakfast, but when we were out of the shower I used the coffee machine to make a pot that Aquamarine and I shared. The smell of the coffee was enough to get Gusty to stick her head up in interest, so I made a second pot for her and Cayenne to share.

They didn't get up until the sky was getting light, though. By then Aquamarine and I were done grooming each other and I'd preened my feathers.

They had to hurry in the shower 'cause they'd taken so long getting up. Me and Aquamarine went down with Mister Barrow and had a quick hotel brunch, and Cayenne and Gusty didn't get anything because they were not morning ponies.

In the van, though, Miss Parker gave them each a granola bar and an apple so that they wouldn't be too hungry and grouchy.

The van got left in the parking lot, and Mister Barrow put the keys back where he'd found them, then we carried our luggage to the platform and waited for our train to arrive.

Our room was the same as it had been before, and they both had a room upstairs just like last time. Me and Aquamarine and Cayenne all went up to the Viewliner car as soon as we'd gotten our belongings packed away; Gusty wanted to change her clothes because she was wearing the same thing she'd worn yesterday. I hadn't been keeping close track, but I think she'd worn more different clothes so far this trip than I owned at all.

A conductor made the same announcements that the last one had, and then as we were pulling out of the station we passed by several wave-shaped trains called Sounder. Cayenne said that they looked like commuter trains, kind of like the Metra trains she rode on in Chicago.

We had to turn our heads to see Mount Rainier, but Mister Barrow pointed it out when we could finally see it. It was still a little gloomy and rainy, but even so the mountain looked very impressive.

Seattle stretched on for a while south, and then we got out into rural land again after we passed Olympia. It wasn't as spectacular as the mountains had been, and there were a lot more houses near the tracks. Even though we were following the coast, we were a ways inland and couldn't see the ocean at all.

He told us that sometimes when we crossed over Interstate 5, we might be able to see Mt. Saint Helens, which is a volcano that erupted thirty six years ago, so we kept a close look out. I saw some steam coming up and wondered if that was it and it was going to erupt again, but he said that wasn't it, that was some kind of industrial building.

The land had gotten flat and a a little bit boggy. It wasn't as pretty as the route through the mountains, but you could see a lot further.

In a town called Winlock, we passed by the world's largest egg. Aquamarine asked if it was a dinosaur egg, because she's learned that there used to be dinosaurs and that they were a lot like dragons. But it was fake—it had been made to celebrate the opening of the Pacific Coast Highway. That was kind of disappointing.

Mister Barrow said that if Aquamarine was interested in dinosaurs, there were a lot of dinosaur fossils at the Field Museum in Chicago, and that they could go there sometime. Cayenne thought that would be a nice opportunity to get together, and it sounded interesting to me, as well.

We ate lunch before we got to Oregon. The train had a parlor car which offered an exciting and unique alternative to the dining car (that's what the menu said). There were only two options for lunch, but on the plus side that made it a lot quicker to decide what we wanted to eat.

We had a long stop in Portland, and all got out to stretch our legs. Portland is the biggest city in all of Oregon, and I thought with a name like that it would be on the ocean or maybe a bay like Seattle, but it was just on two big rivers instead.

When we started up again, we went slowly over a very long bridge over one of them (the Willamette), and when the train went around a bend right after getting off the bridge, I could see the tail of the train and how the bridge had big towers and a little house on top of it. Mister Barrow said that was because it was a lift bridge that could be raised to let boats get by, and I didn't believe that could possibly be true because it was so big, but when we'd gone a little bit further, I got a look back at it and the bottom part was slowly rising.

The scenery all started to blur together and I was kinda getting tired because I'd stayed up too late last night, so I went to our room for a little nap. I was hoping that Aquamarine might want to join me, but she was still wide awake.

One nice thing about the train is that the side-to-side rocking motion is very soothing. I didn't want to bother the sleeping car attendant to get out the bed, so I just stretched out on the chairs and went to sleep that way.

When I got back up and went back to the Viewliner car, I didn't know what time it was. My sense of time was totally messed up by being so far west. So I asked Cayenne—she had her iPhone out and was looking on the map at where we were, which was just south of Albany near a little town called Tangent.

It was all flat farmland on both sides of the tracks, and we still couldn't see the Pacific Ocean. I wondered if it would be possible to see it from here if we were high enough, but when I looked at the map it looked like we were as far inland as Kalamazoo was from Lake Michigan.

Mister Barrow promised us that the train would run along the Pacific in California, though, and that was something to look forward to.

After we left Eugene, we turned more inland, towards the mountains. Pretty quickly we left the farmland behind and were right back in snowy forest. We ate our dinner in the parlor car with trees practically brushing against us as we went.

It was getting dark after we finished up dinner, but we still sat in the Viewliner car for a while. I think there would have been a really nice night view if they'd turned off all the lights in the car, but then I remembered how I'd had a good view out the back window of the train, so when it finally got dark enough that we couldn't really see anything outside anymore, all four of us make our way to the tail end and took turns standing on our hind hooves and looking out the little window.

I could see the moon glowing through the clouds, but I couldn't actually see it or any stars at all, which was kind of disappointing, but it did provide some light on the forest that was all around us.

We looked out the back window a little bit longer, but the sky didn't get any clearer (and from looking at the clouds before it got dark, I didn't think it would), so we went to our bedroom and had the attendant fold down the bottom beds for us so that we'd be ready when we were tired.

Cayenne got out another bottle—her supply seems to be neverending. I wished that I had brought more than that one bottle of Jameson's which was already half-gone when I got on the train.

Gusty wanted to know if we might be able to come to see her play. She said that there were weekend performances, and that she'd be really happy knowing that we were there.

Cayenne said right away that she would, and I thought I probably could, too. Maybe I could get Aric to drive me! He'd probably like that. And Aquamarine and Cayenne talked about meeting up at the Field Museum to look at the dinosaur bones.

When we were getting ready for bed, Gusty said that she wanted to stay up and see when we went into California. I thought that was kind of silly; it was dark outside and probably California would look just the same as Oregon. But it seemed pretty important to her, and then the way she started talking about how great California was, I started to get interested in it, too.

Well, we knew that we wouldn't be in California until after we stopped at Klamath Falls, so we made her promise to wake us up when we stopped there, and then we'd all stay awake so that we could celebrate getting to California.

We didn't know how long it would be after Klamath Falls, so we all kept our muzzles to the glass, although Cayenne kept looking at the map on her iPhone. As we went around a curve that took us away from the highway and then back again, Cayenne said that we were really close, and said that she'd let us know when we crossed into California.

I spotted a sign on the highway that said that we were entering California, and Gusty got a little glimpse of it, too, although probably not enough to read it.

Gusty got a huge smile on her face and hugged us all, and then we had to stay up a little bit longer so that we could have another drink to celebrate.

PreviousChapters Next