• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,317 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,317

PreviousChapters Next
January 10 [Laundry and Star Wars]

January 10

When I got up in the morning, Peggy wasn't in her bed and it didn't look like it had been slept in at all. Sometimes parties run late—she probably stayed there rather than come all the way home.

I had breakfast with Christine, and then Aric showed up and asked me how I had liked the story. I told him that it was very good and that I had also read Boobs. He got a kind of funny look on his face, and Christine just laughed and accused him of corrupting me.

I don't see how it would corrupt me. I know it's made-up; humans don't really turn into wolves when the moon is full. If they did, somepony would have told me, right?

Since I wasn't sure, I asked, and both Christine and Aric agreed that humans don't turn into wolves, that it's just mythology which is a kind of made-up story.

We were on the topic of made-up stories, and Christine was wearing a shirt that had a picture of a man in a beard holding a light-sword that looked similar to the picture which she had on her Facebook. I asked her about that mythology and she got a little gleam in her eyes and said that I hadn't seen Star Wars and she was going to have to show it to me and if I wasn't doing anything tonight, I could come over to her dorm room and she'd let me watch one of the movies with her.

So I said that was a good idea. I'd learned that humans love watching movies and I was eager to have the opportunity so soon. They had made thousands of them, so I wouldn't get a chance to see them all.

After breakfast, I went trotting around the neighborhood, and when I was good and lathered I rolled around in the snow in a little triangle of land between two roads. The snow there is nice and fairly untouched, and I didn't shake myself off when I was done, 'cause some of the snow would melt and cool me off a little bit.

When I got back to the dorm, I was eager to try out my new mane and tail shampoo, but I had to wait because Ruth was in there and humans don't like sharing showers. Her hair is a pinkish-red right now, and Peggy said that she dyes it different colors, but I didn't see any of those colors at Meijer so she must get them somewhere else.

Ruth came out of the shower with a bundle of clothes in one hand and a basket full of shower supplies in the other. She was wearing a white robe and had her towel knotted around her hair. It must be inconvenient to have to carry around clothes all the time. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.

Peggy came back when I was sitting on my bed, preening my wings. She looked kind of bedraggled and smelled like smoke and beer and sweaty people. She grabbed up her shower supplies and went into the bathroom.

When she came out, she looked and smelled much better. She put on panties and her lounge pants and a heavy shirt that said 'Old Navy' and then got the basket where she put her clothes after she had worn them and said she was going to go do laundry and wondered if I wanted to come along.

I've never seen laundry done, so I thought it would be fun.

Down in the basement of the dorm is a small room with machines that wash your clothes. There were lots of other clothes in the room, and a few bicycles as well. Peggy said people leave their bikes in the laundry room even though they're not supposed to. And she said that a lot of times they got abandoned there, and at the end of the year, someone would come and take away all the abandoned bicycles and then give them to people who needed a bicycle.

She started the washing machines, and showed me how to add detergent then let me do it on the second one. While they filled with water, she sorted her clothes into two piles, and put one in each machine.

Then she said that we should go back to the room until the clothes were done washing and she could put them in the dryer.

So we spent most of the afternoon relaxing and looking at Facebook (I got more friends!), and we also went back down to the laundry room to put the clothes in the dryer, which is kind of like a tumbling oven, and when we got them out later they were warm and soft.

After dinner I went to Christine's room. She lives in a suite, which has four rooms and its own bathroom and a lounge where people can gather, and I really liked it.

There was a big round chair she called a papasan that I stretched out in, and she sat on a couch. I liked the papasan because it was kind of like a cloud.

It was a really exciting movie. I didn't understand the whole story, but there was a princess who was trying to help her people and an evil Darth who was doing bad things like blowing up planets. Humans can't really blow up planets.

There were a couple of smart machines which Christine said were called robots or droids. One of them was very polite and the other one only talked in little beeps.

It's amazing that humans can make all that stuff up. I think that they're all very lonely because there aren't any other smart creatures on their planet. We don't always get along with our fellow species, but I think Equestria would be very sad without them.

Except for dragons Dragons have their place, too. We wouldn't have good metals for trains and stuff if it weren't for the dragonforges.

She said that there were more movies, and a new one was playing at a movie theater but it wouldn't be for much longer. So we decided that since there were five more movies, we could watch one of them each night, and then go to the movie theater next Saturday night.

I'm a little bit worried about it cutting into my coursework, but I think it's as important to learn about human customs as schoolwork (and besides the sometimes confusing terminology, cloud class Climate Science is really easy).

PreviousChapters Next