• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,352 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,352

PreviousChapters Next
February 2 [Groundhog Day]

February 2

When I woke up again, we were there! Meghan woke me up by gently shaking me and for just a second, I couldn't think of where I was, but then the familiar scents of the girls and the car brought me back.

I stuck my head up and looked out the window. We were in a gas station parking lot—the gas station is called Sheetz, which I'd never heard of before, but that was because we were in a new place.

I stretched out as well as I could inside the car, and then Lisa got out and opened the door for me, and I set hoof in Punxsutawney, which is not pronounced how it's spelled.

I got a better stretch out on the ground, and we went inside for some gas station food and drinks. Becky said that they have good coffee, and their doughnuts were pretty good too, and it was just the kind of thing to have on a road trip.

I wasn't so sure, myself. I would have preferred something green that would give me energy throughout the day, rather than the oversugared doughnut and slightly overdone coffee (although they had little containers of french vanilla flavored cream which at least made the coffee more palatable) but it did wake me up.

On the other side of the road were railroad tracks and a river, and the river had a weird structure in it. I was curious what it was, and wanted to get a better look, but just then a long train hauling a string of dirty black cars loaded with coal slowly made its way along the tracks, blocking my view. I thought about flying over the train and getting a look, but the girls were getting back in the car and I didn't want to be left behind. I didn't think Peggy or my helpers would be too happy if I had to call them and tell them that I was lost in Punxsutawney Pennsylvania.

Becky drove us to Gobbler's Knob, which is where the prediction was to be made. There were lots of people there, and I also saw a couple of pegasuses off in the distance, hovering over the crowd. They were a little ways off and we couldn't really make our way through the crowd very easily, and it would have been rude of me to fly off to go greet them.

I could see why they were, too—standing on my hooves, I wouldn't see all that much. So I told Lisa that I was going to fly up a bit if they didn't mind, and they said it was okay.

We weren't there for too long before some men in long coats and top hats came onto the stage, and they made a few speeches, and then a man with glasses picked up this big fat groundhog and held him up so that everyone could see. Then he put him down on a little platform that looked like a tree stump, and the groundhog sort of sniffed around and then the man picked him back up again.

Then one man on stage picked up a sign that said 'No Shadow,' and other held up a sign that said 'Think Spring,' and that was pretty much all that there was to the ceremony—an announcement of what the sign had said by the official herald, all said in rhyme. It was very much like a part from a play, rather that what I'd consider an official announcement. (The rhyme said that the groundhog had a hoverboard, but Meghan later told me that wasn't true; there are no hoverboards.) Lots of people cheered for that, and then the ceremony broke up.

I asked Meghan how accurate the woodchuck's prediction was, and she said he was right about half the time.

Well, I'm no foal; with those terrible odds he might as well be guessing. But it was hard to imagine why so many people would come out to see a groundhog guess when spring might come. What do animals know about spring, anyway? We wake them from their winter hibernation and bring the birds back north. Why would they have to concern themselves with seasons?

I was about to ask her why we'd come, but then I saw how happy the three of them looked.

Then Lisa asked me what I'd thought of the event, and I told her it had been interesting. She asked if we did anything like that, and I said that we did not. I told her that we pegasuses had been tending to the weather since even before the tribes were united and Equestria was formed.

That kind of gave her pause, and she fell silent. I thought that maybe I'd insulted her somehow—maybe this ceremony was more important to her than I'd thought.

We walked back to the car in silence. Becky pushed the little button she has that wakes the car up, and the lights flashed and the door locks clicked. Lisa put her hand on my door to open it for me, and then dropped her hand and crouched down so that she was face-to-face with me.

She asked me what the weather was going to be today, which was an odd question.

I looked up at the clouds, and kind of felt the air on the ground, then I told her that I would have to fly up to altitude and see a pressure map, and I could tell her with a high degree of confidence. Ninety percent accuracy, for sure—better than that groundhog. And if human weather wasn't so feral and I knew the area well, I could be almost a hundred percent certain, even if I didn't know the weather schedule at all or if there were feral storms that came in.

And then she asked me about the rain and the snow, if I could predict that. I said that I could, as long as I had unfettered access to the sky and a few maps and a little bit to work it out on paper (I can get a good, quick back-of-hoof calculation in my head, but just one pegasus can't monitor a whole weather system). I told her that I'd taken advanced classes on feral weather, and been posted on the seaboard for two summers in a row in weather school and now I worked with feral weather all the time in Equestria. (Lisa didn't appreciate what an honor that was—only the best pegasuses work in coastal zones.)

Then she asked me what happened to us—how we'd lost our sense of wonder. And I asked her what she meant, and she said that the weatherman would make a prediction, and people would discuss it, whether it was going to come or not, and if it did if it would be like the weatherman said it would be.

I thought that sounded like poor management.

Lisa said that I couldn't imagine what it was like to hear the weather forecast on the radio and then go to bed hoping that school would be canceled the next day, or how it felt to look up at the sky hoping to get home before the rain started. She said that the weather forecast was more like a lottery and sometimes your lucky number came up and sometimes it didn't.

Well, I couldn't argue with that—that was all true. And it was important! How could farmers know what to plant if the weather wasn't right? How could they schedule markets and fairs and school plays if they didn't know what the weather was going to be? On the few occasions where there was an unplanned storm because somepony messed up, it was really inconvenient, and everypony had to work harder to deal with it.

But when I told her that she looked kind of sad. She opened the door for me and I hopped up in my seat.

We drove for a bit in silence, and I just thought about what Lisa had said. And then I told her that I thought it was pretty amazing that Becky had Focus, which had taken us this far with only a few stops for gas and none for water at all. And that they had these stores that were full of so many things, and the tall skyscratchers and big bridges and everything else that they had built, and we didn't have anything like it at all. I told her that we didn't even have Taco Bells, and she thought that was really funny.

Then Meghan said that one of the most important thing about visiting a foreign country was seeing what was odd to you that was an everyday thing to everyone who lived there all the time, and I said that she was right. Everyone had been amazed by the cloud I'd brought down, but if I'd done that back in Equestria nobody would have been all that interested. And I said that if Becky brought Focus to Equestria, there would be so many ponies crowded around it that it wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

Lisa said that maybe she was wrong, but she still thought it was kind of sad that ponies weren't surprised by the weather, and that we ponies didn't have to rely on the predictions of a woodchuck.

When we finally got back to campus, everyone including me was completely exhausted. I trudged back up the hill to our dorm room and collapsed into bed, even though it was hours before I normally went to sleep.

PreviousChapters Next