• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,368 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,368

PreviousChapters Next
July 28 [Barley Soup]

July 28

The first thing I did after I got out of bed was turn on my computer so that I could check the weather report. It said that storms were coming in in the afternoon, and they sounded like they were pretty certain about that. So I thought that I'd probably postpone a long flight, in case I was needed.

So the next question was where to go instead.

I decided that I would fly along Main Street to the M-40 intersection, which is really easy to see because there is a flashing light to direct traffic there. It would be a little bit over twenty miles, I could stop at Meijer on my way back and get more cans of anchovies, and then I'd have plenty of energy left for the afternoon, if I needed it.

Plus, that would give me time to finish Isaiah before I met with Pastor Liz, as long as the storms held off anyway.

I filled up my camelback and got my flight clothes on and then I debated whether I should add my saddlebags overtop, in case I bought more than would fit in the camelback's pockets. I still had a little bit of beer left from last time and the bags of birdseed were new, and I couldn't think of anything else I needed.

Then I remembered I was getting overeager to fly, and hadn't even eaten breakfast yet.

It was too much bother to take all my gear back off, so I snacked on some of the hay and then called the airplane directors. Dori told me to keep low until I crossed the 131 Highway, and told me to have a good flight, and I thanked her and then took off.

I flew over Main Street until it went over the 131 Highway, and then I announced where I was on my radio and said that I was climbing to 5000 feet. Another pilot thanked me and said that he was at eight thousand southeast of Gobles and headed for the Kalamazoo airport. So that was someone to watch out for, and I decided I'd fly a little below 5000 feet, to be extra safe. But not too much, 'cause someone else could be planning to fly under me, like the stumpy airplanes in Battle Creek.

Out to the west, it was clear, but I could feel that the air was restless and changing, and so there probably was going to be a storm later on.

I'd just gone past the fish ponds, when I saw a few big birds circling off in the distance, and I knew that they must be buzzards, 'cause they looked kind of hawkish, but hawks didn't fly in groups. They were dropping down, which meant that they'd seen something.

Buzzards are important, but I don't like them all that much. They're big and ugly and they smell bad, and they're mean, too.

Just the same, I thought that I'd better see what they'd found.

I had to lose some altitude, so I said that I was descending and looked around to make sure that there weren't any airplanes around, and then I went down to a thousand feet. Buzzards have really good eyesight—better than a pony's.

They were all clustered around something kinda big, which was a little ways off the side of the road. I was close enough that I could smell it, but all I smelled was decay, and that didn't help.

I circled once and decided that it probably had been a deer. It was about the right size, and what I could see of it was the right color. I'd seen them by the side of the road before—Aric said that they were dumb and ran into the road in front of cars and I felt bad about that but there really wasn't anything I could do to change it. He said that the road commission usually came along and took them away and I didn't know what happened to them after that.

It was another reminder that humans had different feelings about animals than ponies did.

There was nothing I could do, so after checking for airplanes and telling any pilots who were listening what I was doing, I flew back up to five thousand feet and kept heading west.

Just past M-40, there was a big greenhouse but instead of being full of flowers it was full of cars. I dipped down a little bit to get a better look at it, just because it was so odd, and then I turned around and flew back east.

I was glad that I was listening to my radio, because I heard someone say that he was taking off from Newman's Airport. I didn't know where that was, but he sounded kinda close on the radio, so I kept alert and a couple of miles ahead of me I suddenly saw an airplane pop up from the trees, right alongside the road. He was going across my path, and well below me, but climbing pretty fast. So I kept a good eye on him, just to make sure that he didn't come in my direction.

He kept going north, though.

When I got closer, I saw the runway. It was a little ways back from the road and I don't think I would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.

I landed at Meijer and went inside to get anchovies. The store was always pretty busy, and every time I came in I thought about just flying over all the displays to get where I wanted to go, but it's really rude and also against the rules.

They have a kind of machine that you can use instead of a cashier, and I had fewer than twelve cans of anchovies, so I was allowed to use it, but it seemed kind of complicated to me, so I just waited in line until it was my turn.

I didn't want to bother Dori, so I stayed low all the way back to my apartment, then got out of my gear and took a shower.

It was a little bit early for lunch, so I sat on my papasan and finished up Isaiah. After it got done saying all that God was going to do, it told how the King of Assyria had tried to attack Jerusalem, and God had struck down all his soldiers, because He had promised to protect Jerusalem.

Then He said how he was going to bring down Babylon and restore everything that had been ruined, and that Cyrus was going to help Him.

I remembered Cyrus being mentioned in another book I'd read recently. I think it was Ezra, and they said lots of good things about him.

So that made me think that maybe some of the chapters in the Bible weren't in order, or else they told the same story in a couple of different ways.

I took a break and ate lunch while I thought about it. I knew that the Hearth's Warming Pageant wasn't quite the same as what I learned when I got old enough to train for fighting, and then by then I was wise enough to know that there were some things that adults knew that foals didn't need to know or weren't ready to understand yet. So maybe the Bible was written like that—maybe sometimes something was written one way so that one group of people could understand it, and then another way so that wiser people could understand.

It was yet another question I had for Liz.

Isaiah ended with God saying all the good things He was going to do to the good, faithful people, and the bad things He was going to do to those who hadn't followed His rules. I was really curious if it had all happened already—surely it must have, because there was a lot more of the Bible I hadn't read yet.

It was getting cloudy outside, so I flew up and got a feel for the sky. Rain was coming for sure, and it felt like there would be a thunderstorm, but it was probably still a ways out.

I went to the National Weather Service and studied their maps for a little bit. I thought I'd have time to meet with Liz—which was especially important since I'd had to skip last week—as long as Mel would give me a ride out to our stormwatching spot. But I'd want to make sure that I had all my gear with me when I went to see her.

I sent Mel a telephone telegram and said that he should stop by Stetson Chapel and pick me up there if he went out before six.

I gathered everything up and put it in my saddlebags, then I relaxed on the papasan and watched the birds. They knew rain was coming; they were coming a bit earlier than usual, and they were less chatty.

Some of the weathermares got like that, too. Especially if it was a bad storm coming. I'd noticed that it was mostly the older mares; the ones who were my age liked to talk and do stuff until it was time to go out.

I decided that I'd leave a little bit early, so I put on my saddlebags and since I didn't want to disturb the birds, I went out the downstairs door instead of my balcony door.

Liz was happy to see me, and she was really proud that I'd gotten all the way through Isaiah already. I told her that some of the books had been pretty easy to read, like Song of Songs, and others like Ecclesiastes had been a bit harder to understand, and that I was a bit confused about the timeline of things.

She said that was a lot to break down, so she started by saying that humans now knew that the book of Isaiah was written by several authors over a period of centuries, which was part of the reason I was having trouble figuring it out. And she said that I had been right; that there were parts of it that were also talked about in other parts of the Bible, and that the conquering of Jerusalem and restoration had already happened historically.

Then she said that the Book of Isaiah also prophesied the arrival of Christ, and that didn't happen until long after it had been written.

So that settled some of my confusion, and we started to talk about Proverbs, since it made the most sense to talk about the books in the order I'd read them, even if that wasn't always the order that things had happened. And there wasn't a whole lot to talk about there, because we both agreed that it was good to be wise, and most of what Proverbs said made good sense.

Liz had suggested that I think of Ecclesiastes as a man asking questions on the journey of his life, and only reaching his wisdom towards the end. She said that rather than be absolute statements, he was deliberately asking provoking questions to make the reader think more deeply about things, because sometimes the simplest and easiest answer wasn't the right one.

That seemed to me like an odd way of doing things, but maybe that was how humans thought. My philosophy class had talked about a lot of philosophers who had contradicted other philosophers, and sometimes it seemed like the newer one was smarter and sometimes I don't think that they were as wise at all, and I told Liz that.

She laughed and said that the pursuit of truth is a lifelong journey and the only thing that can be known for certain is that a different person ends the journey than the one who begun it.

We'd just started to talk about Song of Songs when my telephone chirped at me and when I dug it out of my saddlebags, I saw it was Mel, and he said that he was on Academy Street.

I told Liz that I had to go and watch the weather, and she reminded me that I could call her anytime if I was having trouble figuring something out, and then gave me a hug.

It was already raining a little bit, and I could hear distant thunder. Mel said that on the map, it didn't look like anything bad was going to come for a little while. I wanted to be ready, though, so I got into my flight gear in his front seat, which wasn't easy at all. I left the camelback off, since I hadn't thought to fill it before I went to see Liz, and of course I didn't put my saddlebags back on.

He parked at our spot, and I got out of the truck and flew up and we checked our radios, and then I climbed up until I was at the base of the clouds.

There was thunder and lightning above me, mostly going through the clouds. And the rain was pretty light for half an hour or so, and then it picked up a little bit, and the clouds got more thundery.

I stayed up for a couple of hours, and it never got really intense. The rain didn't get too heavy, and the winds weren't bad, either, and once I'd seen that it was clearing in the west, I flew back down and sparked off on a tree, since streetlights didn't like it, then I shook myself off before getting into Mel's truck.

He told me that storms were forecast for tomorrow, too, in the morning, and I said that I'd be ready.

I had him drive me all the way to Meghan's apartment, and she came down pretty quickly when I rang the doorbell.

I gave an appreciative sniff at the door, and she said that what I was smelling was her homemade barley soup that was the perfect thing for a rainy day. She said that she thought I'd be out in the weather and might want something to warm me up so she'd left the pot simmering on the stove.

Well, I was starving, 'cause I hadn't eaten since lunch. I should have known better.

She helped me take off my flight gear and then I went right to the table and sat down, and she brought me a bowl of soup and then went to get a towel to drape over me, 'cause I was still pretty damp.

It had a kind of tangy kick to it which she said was Worcestershire Sauce, and said that she hoped that I didn't mind it, and I said that I liked it.

I had to force myself to take my time eating, 'cause I knew that I'd be sorry if I bolted my food. And when I'd finished my bowl she asked if I wanted another, and I did, but not right away.

So she left the pot on the stove and she dried me off and brushed my mane and tail out, and then I had the second bowl of soup.

I wanted to help her with dishes, but she told me that I deserved to relax, and that when she got done she'd preen my wings for me.

So I stretched out on the bed and relaxed until she came into the bedroom and she sat down on the bed and I held a wing up so she could scoot up against me and I could lay it out over her lap.

I leaned my head up against her side while she worked, and I was already pretty sleepy by the time she'd finished one wing: she was warm against me and my tummy was full of warm soup.

We switched sides so that she could do my other wing, and then I helped her get undressed. I tickled her butt with my wings and she said that I'd better not mess up my feathers after she'd just preened them.

I rolled over on my back and told her that I'd keep my wings in, and I mostly did.

PreviousChapters Next