• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
August 23 [Dodge City, Shamrock, and Oklahoma]

August 23

I didn't have any trouble being awake, 'cause we were in a different time zone now. And I didn't have anything to pack, either, since I hadn't unpacked anything.

I knocked on the connecting door so that Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn would know that I was awake, and then I sat on my bed and looked out the window.

The town came up suddenly—it was all fields and prairies and then all of a sudden there were houses and the train was slowing down quickly enough that I had to widen my stance a little bit. I don't think I would have had a problem if I'd been standing on the floor, but the bed wasn't very firm footing.

I went out into the hallway and Mister Salvatore was already there, and he stayed back until Miss Cherilyn came rushing out of the room. They dragged all their bags downstairs and the conductor didn't look very happy about how long it was taking us but he did help put their bags on the platform.

The station was a pretty brick building, kind of like the Kalamazoo station but two stories instead of one. They could have had a boarding ramp on the second floor and that would have made getting out of the train cars quicker.

At the very end of the platform, there were two big sundials and there was a little sign next to them that said that in the olden days when the railroad first came through Dodge City, the dividing line between Central Time and Mountain Time went right between the two, which was why they were different. I thought that was kind of neat, and it was a shame that the sun wasn't high enough for them to actually work. Although the lights at the station did shine across the gnomon, so I guess by train-station-light time it was ten and three and four, Mountain Time.

On the other side of the platform there was a black Suburban just like the one that we'd ridden in in Chicago, and a man in a suit got out and helped with everyone's luggage, and then he shook everyone's hand and my hoof, too. He said that his name was James Dove.

He said that he was working with Lofty and I didn't know who that was, but her name sounded kinda familiar, like something that I'd heard before. And he asked if we wanted breakfast before we got on the road.

Well, we all did, so we drove across the tracks to a restaurant called Kate's and it was a bit crowded with all of us at a booth. The waitress was nice, and there was a lot of food, but it was all kind of greasy.

Mister Salvatore asked where we were going, and he said that we were going to Shamrock, Texas. And then he said that after that he didn't know, because that was as far as he was driving us.

So we got back in the Suburban and I tried to think of what there was in Texas. I knew about Texas; it was famous for how big it was and how many cowboys were in it, and there were a couple of exchange programs at Texas schools. And I'd heard that they'd gotten a lot of rain recently, so maybe I was going to help with the weather? Maybe that was why Mister Salvatore had wanted to make sure that I had all my flight gear.

We drove for a little while and then we passed a big sign that welcomed us to Oklahoma, which looked just the same as Kansas. And after a little bit we came to a town called Beaver which made both Mister Salvatore and Mister Dove snicker, and Miss Cherilyn just rolled her eyes. I didn't understand what was so funny about it; it didn't look that much different than any of the other small towns I'd been in.

There was a river called the Beaver River that ran through it, so I guess that was how it got its name. But I didn't see any beavers in town or in the river.

A lot of the fields had strange walking-beam structures in them and I asked Miss Cherilyn what they were. She said that they were oil rigs, and they pumped oil up out of the ground, and she said that when we got to Texas we'd probably see a lot more of them. She said that there were some in Michigan, too, but they weren't as common.

We hadn't been in Oklahoma very long before we got to a sign that welcomed us to Texas, and I was confused 'cause I thought that Oklahoma was pretty big, but it turned out it had a peninsula that was narrow and called a panhandle, and that was what we'd gone through.

Texas didn't look much different, either; it was mostly fields and pastures and little towns that we went right through. A police car followed us for a little while after we went through Twitty, but then he turned around and went back the way he'd come. Mister Salvatore said that he probably thought he was chasing us out of town, and asked Mister Dove if he wanted to turn around and follow the police car just for fun.

It wasn't much past that that we got to Shamrock. I could see a big highway ahead of us (it was too far to read the sign so I didn't know what number it was) and we turned into a Best Western hotel before we got there.

I could tell right away that there was something special going on at the hotel, 'cause there were another two black Suburbans, several white pickup trucks with lots of antennas, a couple of Econolines, and also a strange vehicle that was all angly and had panels covering everything, even the wheels.

Mister Salvatore had a big grin on his face when the Suburban stopped and I didn't know what to expect at all. But he opened the door for me and motioned for me to follow him. And so we went inside and I stopped right in the door 'cause I could smell other ponies and I had to trot a little bit to catch up with him 'cause he hadn't noticed that I'd stopped.

He went down a main hall and past a swimming pool that was closed for maintenance, and I knew that we were close, and he pulled open a door and the most amazing thing was there.

There were a dozen pegasuses in the room, along with a few humans, and all of them were talking or looking at folding computers. And then they saw me and pretty soon it was complete chaos in the room as everyone and everypony came up to greet me and introduce themselves.

Lofty, I found out, was the lead weathermare on what she called special Earth duty, and all the pegasuses in the room were also weatherponies. It was a lot of new ponies to meet all at once; there was Medley, and Whizzer and Skydancer and Paradise, along with Dewdrop, Stormbreaker, Electric Blue, Merry May, Flanking Line, Prism Glider, Rocky Storm, and Velvet Light, which was a whole lot of ponies to remember.

And there were also the humans—they were lead by Doctor Tetsuya, and there was also Bill and Jo Harding, and Dusty Davis and Joey. And in all the introductions I wasn't sure what they were all doing, until Lofty told me that they were an exploratory team to see if weather pegasi could do anything about tornadoes.

Well, when I heard that I hugged Mister Salvatore for thinking of it and asked him if I could fly with them and he said yes but I'd have to sign a paper first saying that I understood storms were dangerous and I thought that was really dumb, because of course I knew that. But I said that I would.

All of us ponies had a couple of rooms that connected, and Lofty said that they were looking on the weather map to see if there were any big storms coming soon.

She said that this was a good part of the country for tornadoes, although they were a little late in the season because it had taken forever to get permission. She said that she thought Cloudsdale bureaucracy was bad but they had nothing on Earth's, and that everypony had even had to get a special license just to fly which she thought was really dumb, and they had to take the van a little ways out of town where there was a special area that had been set aside for them to do practice flying.

So we talked about the weather a bit before Joey and Doctor Tetsuya found a storm that looked like it could spawn tornadoes, and then everypony got their gear together and went out to the trucks and vans. Mister Salvatore said that when we got there he'd have the paper for me to sign, and asked if I wanted to ride with him but I thought I'd rather ride with the weather team and get to know them better. Plus, they'd want to know me, too, before they really trusted me up in the sky.

We put our gear in the back of one of the pickup trucks—it had a hard cover that closed over the back to keep everything inside—and then we got in an Econoline.

The vans didn't have any seats in the back, so they were pretty comfortable for us. We could stretch out on the floor or stand and we could move around pretty easily. It was kind of fun to be in the very back, too, 'cause whenever the van hit a big bump it would bounce you off the floor.

It wasn't so good for looking out the windows, though—I had to stand on my hind hooves to really be able to see anything out them. But I didn't get to do much sightseeing anyways since I was meeting my new friends.

We went east on the 40 Highway (that was the one that went through Shamrock) and got lunch in a town called Weatherford: there was a pizza restaurant called Little Caesar’s, and we got a few boxes of pizza to share. All the drivers had radios so that they could talk to each other, so everyone stopped there.

Then we went north all the way to a town called Ringwood and stopped alongside the road next to a dirt lot that had lots of pipes up on little stands. It was called Xto Energy and none of us knew what that meant, or what pipes had to do with energy.

I could see off to the west that stormclouds were building, and so after Lofty went to the front truck to look at the weather maps, we drove a little bit west on a road called 60 412, and then all parked along the side of the road.

The trucks all had flashing yellow lights on them so that people would be warned that they were there, and we all got out and got our gear on. I had the most—they just had vests and flashing lights and Lofty, Skydancer, and Velvet Light had airplane radios, too.

Well they were curious about my watch and my GoPro and my camelback and when I showed them how it could carry water they all wanted one. So I said that we'd have to look for a Dick's on the way back, 'cause that was where I'd gotten mine.

We were allowed to fly above the clouds—Lofty's team had special permission that I didn't. I was kind of jealous, but she said it was because they were a research team sponsored by NOAA, and that was why. Plus where they were flying there weren't going to be any airplanes.

When we were all dressed, Lofty got permission for us to fly into the storm, and she said that everypony had the same wingpony as before, and since there were an odd number of us I'd fly with her and Medley.

As we were climbing, I asked if they'd broken up any tornadoes and she said that they hadn't yet. So far they'd just been flying around the edge of them and sometimes they had to carry human measuring instruments up with them. Medley said that the storms here were so big and feral they weren't sure that they could do much with just a dozen ponies but if their trial was successful than they were going to see if they could get a bigger team together.

Well, the storm didn't make any tornadoes but there was lots of thunder and lightning and rain and crosswinds and updrafts, and we got to go into the clouds and they were too high to get all the way through.

We worked some of the clouds on the front, just to see what we could do with them. Lofty said that it might not seem like much but that they'd been able to make enough difference in a couple of storms that Joey picked it up on the portable radar that he had. Dr. Tetsuya said that he didn't have enough data to be sure that they were doing it or that it wasn’t just a fluke in the atmosphere, but Lofty said that he hadn't been up in a cloud and she knew perfectly well that it had been her team.

Then we got called down really quick because Bill said that he thought there might be a storm that could make tornadoes a little bit to the north of us, and we all piled into the van still soaking wet, and drove off through the rain until we got to Helena, and we went back up again.

It was really nice to be part of a team again. I know that it's important for me to fly in storms in Kalamazoo and report what's happening but sometimes it's lonely, and there's hardly anything that I can do by myself.

When Dusty said that we were close, Lofty used her radio to announce that we were going to be flying again, and as soon as he pulled over everypony got out of the van. Lofty went back up to the truck to look at the weather maps, and then we were in the air again.

This stormcloud had some hail in it, which could damage crops and buildings, so we got right up in the cloud and tried to work the currents inside to either stop the hail or at least make it a little smaller, and I felt like we really were getting something done after we worked at it for a while. You could feel the cloud fighting us, but the longer we worked the weaker it got and while it was still pretty big it wasn't hailing anymore.

We landed after the storm had passed overhead and dried off as best we could in the back of the Econoline. A couple of ponies curled up to nap, and the rest of us talked quietly about the storm and what we thought we could do better next time and that was nice, too. Lofty asked Dusty to find out if there had been any change in the hail-cloud while we were working it, and after a while Dusty said that Doctor Tetsuya wasn't sure; he was still looking at the data. She blew a raspberry and said that they ought to take him up in a storm so he could feel the change for himself.

We had dinner in a restaurant in Clinton called Del Rancho, which had catfish and shrimp and both of them came with hushpuppies, which were fried cornbread balls and they were really tasty. Their salad wasn't as good, 'cause it wasn't too fresh, and their vegetables were kind of chewy, too. I thought about sneaking away to the Taco Bell that was almost across the street, but that wouldn't have been very polite.

Most of us lay down and dozed for the rest of the trip home, 'cause once the sun went down it was kinda boring. There wasn't anything to see except lots of traffic on the 40 Highway, and Lofty said that we were going to try and get an early start tomorrow morning, and maybe we'd see a tornado.

When we got back to the hotel we all went up to our room and hung our vests up to dry. You couldn't fit more than three in a shower at time, so it was good that there was lots of hot water for all of us. I got to take a shower first with Lofty and Medley, and then when we were done we dried each other off and sat on the bed and preened our wings. There was a big television in the room and somepony had turned it on and it was showing weather maps and weather reports, but it got interrupted a lot by little pictures of what the weather was going to be like in certain cities. I would have rather had them just showing the nationwide and local radar and pressure maps.

PreviousChapters Next