• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
June 17 [Fort Wilkins to High Cliffs State Park]

June 17

It was super-chilly, and Aric was just huddled up against me for warmth. When we shifted around, he pressed his face up against me and his nose felt like a little icicle. At least the wind wasn't too bad.

Hopefully, it would be warmer tonight and tomorrow morning. We were going to go back south—we couldn't go any further north, after all.

I asked him if he was too cold, and he said that I was warm and furry and was doing an excellent job of keeping him warm. Then he said that he might as well get up, even though it was just barely light. He said that we had a long day of driving ahead of us, because tomorrow we had to get to the dock in Manitowoc before the Badger sailed, or else we were going to have to take the long way back home, through Chicago and around the bottom of the lake.

Well, I wouldn't have minded stopping in Chicago, 'cause maybe Cayenne would be there, but I guess we weren't going to have time for that.

We made the usual breakfast and put out the fire. Aric asked me if I wanted to see the very end of the peninsula and a special forest, or see historic Fort Wilkins.

I asked him what it was like, and he said that he imagined that it was kind of like the lighthouse keeper's house, but maybe there would be more military stuff there, since it had been a fort.

I was sure it wasn't open yet—the sun wasn't even above the trees yet—and I could tell he was kind of eager to get on the road. So I said that the end of the peninsula and the trees would be nice to see.

It took a while to get there, and it was kind of rugged and windblown. I could see an island off in the distance which was Manitou Island, he said, and he said that beyond that, if a storm came from the west or northwest, the next chance at a safe shelter was probably Whitefish Bay, unless you could run nearly due south and make Marquette or one of the bays along there.

He said it would have been nice to have been able to camp here, because seeing the sun come up over Lake Superior would have been pretty amazing.

We went around the southern side of the peninsula, and drove near the lake for a while until he turned inland, and we got to Estivant Pines, which he said had been saved from loggers in the seventies.

There were trails leading through the pines, and he said that there wouldn't be any airplanes here, so I could fly below the treetops to my heart's content. So I kissed him and then took off, working my way up to the very tops of the trees, and even though I didn't mean to, I lost him on the ground, and when I went to fly back down, I had no idea where I was—I went through the trees but there was nothing but undisturbed forest below me.

I flew around for ten or fifteen minutes, looking for him and then looking for anybody, but it was no good. There was no one to be seen, I couldn't hear any voices, and there was nothing in my nose but the scents of pine and dirt.

I landed on a nice thick tree branch and tried to think about which way I'd flown, how I'd turned around the trees and then where I'd gone when I was looking for him, and I thought that maybe if I went back up I'd see a familiar landmark, but I didn't—the trees pretty much all looked the same.

I couldn't even call anyone on my radio, because it was back in Winston. I was all alone in the sky.

The thought of Winston triggered a memory, and off in the distance I saw a lake that I remembered we'd gone by just before coming to the park, and I didn't know if it was the same lake because things looked different in the air than they did on the ground, but it was the only clue I had, so I flew over to it and sure enough a road went by, and so I turned with the sun at my tail and flew down along the road, following it all the way back to the park entrance and then to the parking lot and Winston.

Aric wasn't there.

He was probably still in the woods, waiting for me. Maybe he was sitting on the ground, resting, or maybe he was walking up and down the trail more and more worried because he couldn't find me. Which meant that I had to go find him, but it would be dumb to just go flying or trotting down the trail because if there were forks in it I might miss him, and then we could spend all day not finding each other.

Most people locked their cars, but Aric didn't, so I opened up the door and got out my journal and wrote a note for him, telling him that I had been back and was going on the trail to look for him and if he came back to stay put, 'cause I'd check back on him. Then I put the note on his side where he couldn't miss it and went back into the woods.

Then I turned back around and got my vest, radio, and blinking light and put them on, because even though it looked really silly, it would make me a lot easier to see.

I trotted along the trail, stopping every now and then to sniff around for his scent. Dogs are really good at sniffing things out, and we are too in the air, but in a forest it was hopeless. There were too many other scents for me to get more than a hint, and unless he'd started peeing on trees I wasn't going to be able to track him like that.

So I went to the air, and there were a couple of places where I got a bit of a whiff and knew he was still upwind of me, but if I flew directly into the wind, I'd have to go off the trail, and then there was a pretty good chance I'd get lost again and have to repeat the whole process.

It felt like an hour or more before I saw him, standing in a tiny little clearing and looking up into the trees, and I was so happy to see him that I broke into a gallop, and he heard me and snapped his head around in my direction and I could see the look of relief on his face.

When we were walking back he said that he'd kept walking, thinking that I'd follow the trail from above, and then after he'd gone a little ways he realized that I probably couldn't see it, so then he'd turned around and gone back to where I'd been, thinking that maybe I'd landed back there but I hadn't, and then he thought that maybe there was a place where I could see the trail from the air. I told him that I'd been completely lost until I found a lake and the road and Winston.

We both agreed not to split up like that again, because it was stupid. And he said that maybe next time we went out into the woods, we'd have little radios that could talk to each other, just in case. Because while pocket telephones were pretty convenient and everyone in Kalamazoo had one and could use it anywhere, they didn't work up here, except sometimes when we were near cities.

When we were back at Winston, I put away my flight gear and we started heading south.

We were out of food in the icebox, so we stopped in Bruce Crossing, at a restaurant called Char's Cafe, and Aric said that I should at least try some of a pasty, because that was the traditional UP food. I wasn't sure that I wanted a whole one, because they all had some kind of meat in them, so I had some whitefish and just a little bite of his pasty.

After we'd left there, we drove along railroad tracks and saw a train with blue locomotives and dusty reddish cars that were all the same, which Aric said were train cars that carried iron ore to port.

And we went past some hills that Aric said were the Porcupine Mountains. I told him that out west the mountains were a lot taller, and he said that Michigan wasn’t known for its mountains. I could see why.

I thought that we were going to be inland for the rest of the trip, until we got to the shore of Lake Michigan, anyway, but we started going due west for a while, and then right after a park which was called Little Girls Point we were up mostly against the coast again.

He stopped in a park that he said was right on the border between Michigan and Wisconsin, and we walked all the way to the water and sat on the beach and ate, and there was a little spit of land that ran out along a river, and Aric said that if we went to the end of that, we'd be as far west as it was possible to go in Michigan.

So we walked down there and scratched our names out in the sand, and he took a picture of it and me standing in fetlock-deep water just off the end. I suppose I could have gone out further, maybe up to my belly, but the lake was pretty cold.

He said that it was good that we were going to be in Wisconsin, because we were out of cheese and almost out of beer, and those were the two things that Wisconsin had in abundance. He told me that they also had cheese curds which was a traditional Wisconsin food and when they were made right they would squeak when you bit them.

I didn't believe him, but the first store we saw along the side of the road had a sign out front that said cold beer and cheese curds, along with fishing gear.

He pulled into their parking lot and said that the best place to get food out in the country was a bait shop. And I sat in Winston while he went inside, and he came back out a minute later with a little white box like the one that the fudge had been in (and I kind of wished we'd been going back through Mackinaw City, because it had been delicious) and he was right; it did squeak when you bit it.

It was a little weird to be eating it as we were driving, but Aric said that we were running kind of late, and had to make up some time.

I said that it was my fault for getting lost, and he said that it wasn't at all; it was just further than he thought. But we were both kind of quiet for a while.

The scenery was almost the same as it had been in the Upper Peninsula. I knew what it was like when we got further south, 'cause of the train trip, and I finally asked him if we'd be going near Milwaukee. He said that we'd be north of it, but we might go through Green Bay, if he felt like taking a shortcut.

Then he said that it might not save any time, because at best we'd get there just after rush hour, and sometimes it was faster to just avoid cities.

There were lots and lots of little lakes around us, and Aric said that this was the boundary waters and once when he was a Boy Scout, they'd spent some time canoeing on the lakes, and it was one of the most fun trips he'd had. Then he talked about other trips that he'd taken, and a lot of them sounded like they weren't all that much fun, like when their tents had blown away on an island in Lake Erie, or when he had been on a winter camping trip and his boots had frozen and he had to walk in his socks to the fire so that he could thaw them out.

He said that it had been fun, though, even if it was sometimes miserable when he was on the trip. And I think he was right about that, 'cause some of the storms that we worked it was easy to forget how our wings were aching and our eyes hurt from squinting them shut against the sleet, or being so soaked by rain that you thought you'd never be dry again . . . those were the days that we talked about and remembered, not the easy days where we just pushed puffy clouds around on schedule.

And the sailors never said much about uneventful crossings, either. I think sometimes they even made stuff up if nothing interesting had happened.

We got to Stevens Point around dinner time, and my stomach started growling at the familiar signs of restaurants, but Aric said that we weren't going to eat at an Applebees, or Taco Bell, or any other fast food restaurant. We'd just drive a little further until we found a town with a fun-looking mom and pop restaurant, and I said that was smart, but that didn't make me any less hungry.

So we got off the 10 Highway in Amherst, and he found a restaurant called The Rivers Bar and Supper Club, and it really didn't look like much, but Aric said that the restaurants that looked the worst on the outside were often the best on the inside, and he said it was a good sign that they had a parking lot full of cars and an ever better sign that none of them were as beat-up as Winston.

I told him that we'd passed a bait store not too far back that was full of trucks just like Winston, and there had even been one with mottled green and brown paint, and he said that bait shops were for on-the-road snacks, not dinners.

We picked the right day to visit, because they had all their fish on sale. Aric said that was because Catholics couldn't eat meat on Fridays. I was too hungry to care why; and I got their combo plate which had lots of different kinds of fish and shrimp, too, and I couldn't even eat it all. Aric didn't want any more than a couple of nibbles—he said that he didn't like fish and never had.

The waitress—who had been watching me but not in a bad way—put my leftover food in a little box so we could take it with us, and we got back on the road.

I fell asleep.

I guess it was too much food and the kind of soothing noise that the tires made on the road, but I just put my head down and the next thing I knew Aric was gently shaking my shoulder and said that we had arrived at our campsite for the night.

I asked him where we were, and he said that it was the High Cliff State Park, on the shores of Lake Winnebago. And he said that was a very special lake, because it was where Winnebagos—which were a kind of Arvey—came from. He said that every spring, they would get together on the shores of the lake, and then lay their eggs, and in the summertime, they would hatch. And he pointed to a little Arvey that had a big W on it and said that was a juvenile, and that the bigger one a few sites over was probably its mother.

I was a little too sleepy to realize right away that he was making that up, and I asked him if we could go and see their breeding grounds, which I kind of was picturing as a big parking lot. Then I remembered that they were just machines like Cobalt and Winston, but bigger.

He said that we could go down to the lake if we wanted to, and I thought it would be a nice way to end the day, so we took a trail that looked over the lake, and it was plenty big, but not so big that you couldn't see the other side.

It had been really nice to be all the way up in the UP and where it was very remote, but there was another kind of beauty in all the lights across the lake, almost like stars that had fallen to the ground.

We walked back in the dark, until we found our campsite. The whole park was nearly full, and Aric said that he had been lucky to get a space, because it was the weekend now and this park wasn't very far from Milwaukee or Green Bay.

When we were in the back of Winston, I asked him if that meant that we couldn't have sex, and he said that it was dark outside, so no one would notice if the truck was rocking a little bit.

PreviousChapters Next